• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

I remember importers/Japanese posters telling me Jude is ten times worse than Asbel but he's not bothering me as much so far. I mean, at least he has a brain.

This makes all the difference. Asbel was just so damn stupid. I actually really like Jude's character... the only thing I don't like about him seems to be true of all JRPG protagonists: (this is actually a game spoiler, you have been warned)
not only is he incapable of killing anyone, he also prevents his friends from killing on many occasions. So, every time an antagonist needs to die, the story comes up with some other way to get them killed that doesn't involve any of the playable characters, because if they killed ANYONE, even the most evil people in the universe, that would make them BAD.

I was cheering for Alvin to kill him. :D

Leia gotta ruin everything.

I had to restart that fight so many times just to beat Alvin so I could see the cutscene where Jude wins... it was worth it.

the party complaining is to remind you that you need to use cooking more often. if you do use cooking regulary , you'll get your trophy without grinding , and you'll never hear them again.

I recently bought 1 of everything in the food shop to finally get this one out of the way. I think I only have 50 food effect activations so far... I think this will be the last grindy feeling trophy, but I still have to get to level 99 anyway.

I remember importers/Japanese posters telling me Jude is ten times worse than Asbel but he's not bothering me as much so far. I mean, at least he has a brain.

Does he? Every time he gets asked why he is part of this adventure he pretty much says that he has no motivation or reason whatsoever except for wanting to bone Milla.

Toki767

I'm pretty ambivalent towards Jude. He's not really memorable as a main character, but he's not annoying or anything.

Milla, Alvin, and Gaius were the stars of the game anyways.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I definitely think Asbel is worse than Jude but the reasons I hate Jude are different from Asbel and in that light possibly what irks me is more illuminated. Having said that, I do think Asbel has the more superior voice actor in JP. Takahiro Sakurai baby.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Does he? Every time he gets asked why he is part of this adventure he pretty much says that he has no motivation or reason whatsoever except for wanting to bone Milla.

Which I find much, much better than Asbel's horrible plot dragging FRIENDSHIP bullcrap. :p

So is this game hard? Just bought this as I haven't played jrpg in ages and it's also first tales of game for me. Wondered what difficulty level I should choose.

Toki767

So is this game hard? Just bought this as I haven't played jrpg in ages and it's also first tales of game for me. Wondered what difficulty level I should choose.

Difficulty is adjustable so you can easily start anywhere and change on the fly. Normal is pretty easy though. I'd suggest starting on Moderate. If that's easy, then do Hard.

PKrockin

Yes, that's true. I mean he has a brain as in he is knowledgeable and is capable of thinking logically. He actually brings something to the party.

I never really had a problem with Asbel's character. A little heavy on the MAMORU but never had a problem with him through my three playthroughs of Graces.

I disliked Jude after part 3 in my first playthrough and really didn't care for him anymore after that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I never really had a problem with Asbel's character. A little heavy on the MAMORU but never had a problem with him through my three playthroughs of Graces.

I disliked Jude after part 3 in my first playthrough and really didn't care for him anymore after that.
Well, I'm more familiar with Asbel based on the Japanese version, but yes, it's irritating to see him not get the fucking point after a while. But honestly? I don't mind him... because I like using him to attack and his animations are pretty fluid for a character type that I don't usually elect to use (I'd be using Hubert more often than Asbel). But the arte distribution made me like him quite a bit.

I disliked Jude prior to the part you're referring to, but it ended up being a culmination of things that just irked me about his character to the point of not just caring about him any longer. Thankfully, he's more independent and less naive in the second game, but there was only so much I could stand to take in the first game. With that said, though, I really really like using him. He's legitimately the first MA protag I like using often because his artes connect to each other relatively easily, and even in the second game with its speed nerf, he's really quick and that's the way I like my characters nonetheless.

...yeah, it goes to show how much I care about story in Tales. *shrug*

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm guessing I'm not far enough to hate him, but I really don't mind Jude.

In fact, I'm happy that for once, a main character in a Tales of can actually come up with strategies and plans except of just being a dumb goody-good. (The exception being Yuri.)

kayos90

Out of recommendation, Jude's

I do not like Jude because he is very immature and it shows. He's indecisive and appears to be strong but in reality he's not. His views and actions are dictated by those around him. He's not really an individual but more like an accessory as someone pointed out. It's sort of irritating and given his age it makes sense but I still don't like it.

However, what drove me to really dislike him is his reaction to Milla's death. It was heavily foreshadowed that he had no goal or mission or any real conviction except those that are borrowed from those around him. He loses all direction and acts like a braindead doll. Two big problems with this is that Jude himself recognized that he had no goal or felt no purpose without Milla but didn't do anything about it or really self-analyzed himself beyond seeing this problem. My second biggest issue is that when he snaps out of it, it's a huge shock that sort of came out of nowhere. It was an epiphany/character development and that annoys me.

His emotional reaction in Act 4 is just irksome and he certainly gets better by the game's end but he's a dog at best for a good chunk of the game.

Young Magus

I do not like Jude because he is very immature and it shows. He's indecisive and appears to be strong but in reality he's not. His views and actions are dictated by those around him. He's not really an individual but more like an accessory as someone pointed out. It's sort of irritating and given his age it makes sense but I still don't like it.

However, what drove me to really dislike him is his reaction to Milla's death. It was heavily foreshadowed that he had no goal or mission or any real conviction except those that are borrowed from those around him. He loses all direction and acts like a braindead doll. Two big problems with this is that Jude himself recognized that he had no goal or felt no purpose without Milla but didn't do anything about it or really self-analyzed himself beyond seeing this problem. My second biggest issue is that when he snaps out of it, it's a huge shock that sort of came out of nowhere. It was an epiphany/character development and that annoys me.

His emotional reaction in Act 4 is just irksome and he certainly gets better by the game's end but he's a dog at best for a good chunk of the game.

His reaction to Millia's death was a bit too much for myself as well. When I saw it play out, I know that it was what all the importers were talking about when they said that they have a problem with the character.

Rhapsody

Banned
For me, I think Jude was fine, especially compared to some of the past main Tales protagonists that had apparent flaws.

The way he's portrayed just feels less offensive to me so he didn't annoy me. His personality and characteristics reflected well for a character in his setting and age. His character seemed to develop instead of doing a huge 180 (imo) like Luke, and he didn't step too far out of bounds in trying to help people like Lloyd.

I've never been a huge fan of the majority of Tales protagonists. They usually end up loud or super naive (which Jude is too, but it feels more in line) or just straight up anime stereotypes. I feel like Yuri and Ludger (silent protag helps in this case lol) were the stronger Tales leads from the ones I've played.

To me, I felt like Asbel didn't learn as much as he should've after all he's been through, but that's just me. I expected after the prologue, he would've made wiser decisions.

scy

In my opinion, he feels most similar to Luke: The obvious flaw that leads to the development eventually. From that regard, I quite enjoyed him. For the flaw given (indecisive, latches onto others), it was done fairly well.

I feel like that was largely the point for much of the cast, honestly (e.g.,
Alvin's inability to not betray somebody
).

kayos90

is that what women really want in japan? A untrustworthy guy that sleeps with whomever?

No wonder japan's birthrate is in the shitter.

You're telling me all males want this shit? come on.

am+I+kawaii+uguu.jpg

Does the Lilium grid system kind of annoy everyone else? Because it seems like the objective mainly is to get artes, and since the grid is the same for everyone, it kind of means focusing on the same stats for each character and following the same general path. It's also kind of annoying not knowing what skills are...

Does the Lilium grid system kind of annoy everyone else? Because it seems like the objective mainly is to get artes, and since the grid is the same for everyone, it kind of means focusing on the same stats for each character and following the same general path. It's also kind of annoying not knowing what skills are...

yeah... your grid expanded!

That cool move is on the other fucking side that you been slacking off expanding!

Top Bottom