• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

PKrockin

Does the Lilium grid system kind of annoy everyone else? Because it seems like the objective mainly is to get artes, and since the grid is the same for everyone, it kind of means focusing on the same stats for each character and following the same general path. It's also kind of annoying not knowing what skills are...
Use the left stick to highlight orbs in between the lines of the grid and see what they are.

demidar

Use the left stick to highlight orbs in between the lines of the grid and see what they are.

It took me about 20 hours to find that out. :/

So I just had my first fight against
Gaius
and I guess the game expects you to lose due to his badassery (he's pretty fucking badass) but even he was no match for infinite Fireballs. I got an Exceed item from winning and now I'm wondering who to spend it on.

The story after that boss battle is pretty wtf inducing, and now I'm intrigued even further. Had to go back to Jude after playing Leia for so long and why does Jude have to play so awesomely? They should spread that awesomeness around the party.

It took me about 20 hours to find that out. :/

So I just had my first fight against
Gaius
and I guess the game expects you to lose due to his badassery (he's pretty fucking badass) but even he was no match for infinite Fireballs. I got an Exceed item from winning and now I'm wondering who to spend it on.

The story after that boss battle is pretty wtf inducing, and now I'm intrigued even further. Had to go back to Jude after playing Leia for so long and why does Jude have to play so awesomely? They should spread that awesomeness around the party.

infinite fireballs?

i probably should mess with rowen more. i assume you can cancel stuff with him to achieve that?

kewlmyc

Dammit, I slept through the anti-Asbel discussion. I had so much to contribute too. :(

Also, I liked Jude. Sure his lack of ambition was irksome, but I considered his arc to be a coming of age type story, so his lack of focus kinda fit.
His reaction to Milla dying was overblown though. Felt bad for Leia so much. Fight with Alvin was fun though.
Asbel had no excuse. He was a dumbass though and though, whose knight training and responsibilities should have taught him to make better decisions than he did.
The fact that he wants to protect everyone, yet let a mass murdering psychopath kill several people and endanger the life of thousands due to petty reasons (I need to protect the guy I was friends with for a week years ago over the entire planet), is so hypocritical it's pathetic. His solution to the Lambda problem is also so Deus Ex Machina, it's disgusting.
Asbel was the first RPG protaganist that almost made me drop the game, which is weird since I was perfectly fine with Luke.

In other news, how much content is actually different in Milla's route? If it's only a few different cutscenes that barely expand the story, then I won't even bother and just go and finally play though Vesperia instead.

Oh my god the snow song. RIP ears.
I never got this skit. Where do you get it?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Dammit, I slept through the anti-Asbel discussion. I had so much to contribute too. :(

Also, I liked Jude. Sure his lack of ambition was irksome, but I considered his arc to be a coming of age type story, so his lack of focus kinda fit.
His reaction to Milla dying was overblown though. Felt bad for Leia so much. Fight with Alvin was fun though.
Asbel had no excuse. He was a dumbass though and though, whose knight training and responsibilities should have taught him to make better decisions than he did.
The fact that he wants to protect everyone, yet let a mass murdering psychopath kill several people and endanger the life of thousands due to petty reasons (I need to protect the guy I was friends with for a week years ago over the entire planet), is so hypocritical it's pathetic. His solution to the Lambda problem is also so Deus Ex Machina, it's disgusting.
Asbel was the first RPG protaganist that almost made me drop the game, which is weird since I was perfectly fine with Luke.

In other news, how much content is actually different in Milla's route? If it's only a few different cutscenes that barely expand the story, then I won't even bother and just go and finally play though Vesperia instead.

I never got this skit. Where do you get it?

It also didn't help that Lambda sounded like shit in the English version.

Rowen is called the Conductor, but he should really be called the Bosskiller instead.

how does that work? haven't really used him or looked at his skills (just been auto assigning), but his gimmick is he can mash X while using a spell to shoot more spell stuff, how does guard cancelling work? Won't he have to recast?

Cutscenes when they split up are different.

One dungeon is smaller
the one where Elize and Milla get kidnapped.

You go through a different dungeon
after your party gets separated after the war

You'll go through an entirely unique dungeon for Milla
after the battle on the cruiser

There are also additional skits and side events exclusive to Milla's side but those are the main differences.

demidar

how does that work? haven't really used him or looked at his skills (just been auto assigning), but his gimmick is he can mash X while using a spell to shoot more spell stuff, how does guard cancelling work? Won't he have to recast?

Spell tuning is different for every spell, and the arte description tells you how to use it and what it does. In Fireball's case, you can keep pressing the arte button to shoot more Fireballs, up to 4 in total. Then at the end of your fourth Fireball, you can Guard to stop the spell finishing animation and start up a new Fireball spell. Guard cancelling works best with Fireball but you can use it with other spells as well, like continually casting Splash.

The reason Fireball is so effective is it causes Burn status affliction, which shaves off health based on max HP. When playing on hard, this is a godsend as you're hitting for 200-400 but each Burn tick takes off 1000+. It can easily deal 15000 damage by itself.

You know normal is too easy when even I don't die a single time.. I think this was my first time beating an rpg without losing a battle lmao. Time to replay unknown mode and plat this game <3

kewlmyc

Cutscenes when they split up are different.

One dungeon is smaller
the one where Elize and Milla get kidnapped.

You go through a different dungeon
after your party gets separated after the war

You'll go through an entirely unique dungeon for Milla
after the battle on the cruiser

There are also additional skits and side events exclusive to Milla's side but those are the main differences.

Thanks, I'll play through it before Xillia 2 comes out. But for right now, it's time to finally play the supposed best Tales game, Vesperia. Any tips?

Finally beat the game. Last boss is joke easy ;/ kinda lame how it was handled.

Still think Rowen is overpowered as all hell.

Rowen with no stagger on dmg, +30% cast rate, +50%? cast rate on repeated casts, and overkill (+50% dmg, +30% tp cost) = grind master + boss rape.

I saved but not sure what else to do other than pick up old quests? I got a sword for milla in the abyss dungeon.

Holmes

Everything beaten, even Golden Mage Knight, and I bought every item possible in the shops, and I only have 664/700 items for the trophy. Ugh.

Holmes

Uhhhhhh, arena prizes for everybody? They get a joke weapon and a skill book so that's 12 more items there.
Good tip. I scrapped the bottom of the barrel for material and gald, expanded shops and ended up with 694/700, so I just need to do it for 3 characters. And since everyone is at level 99 with the best armour and devil arms, shouldn't be too bad...

BY2K

Membero Americo
I just got passed the Ice Cavern and I just realized what is wrong with Jude.

I'm starting to dislike him a bit.

vesp

Really wish gamefly would hurry up and send me this, had a 3 day weekend before 21 days in a row of work and all I could think about was how much I wish this was here to waste the weekend on.

Really wish gamefly would hurry up and send me this, had a 3 day weekend before 21 days in a row of work and all I could think about was how much I wish this was here to waste the weekend on.

I had The Last of Us as my #1 game in queue for SEVEN weeks, 3 of those with it as the ONLY game in queue and they never sent it lol.

Rhapsody

Banned
Thanks, I'll play through it before Xillia 2 comes out. But for right now, it's time to finally play the supposed best Tales game, Vesperia. Any tips?

Figures. Start of Chapter 3, so I'm still restricted on where to go. And now the game starts giving me a ton of black feathers while I'm trying to complete this one sub event. :/

Almost hitting that limit on how many I can carry.

Don't get me wrong, Vesperia was great but I don't see why people love it so much. The combat was extremely basic compared to both this and graces, the story was a mess to. Maybe even worse than graces. The best thing about Vesperia for me was the characters.

Jeels

So for someone who loved Vesperia but couldn't finish Graces (got pooped out), is this a buy?

(The main thing I'm concerned about is how dull those fields look, I don't think the series doesn't need to go to 3D, the fixed environments worked great.)

So for someone who loved Vesperia but couldn't finish Graces (got pooped out), is this a buy?

(The main thing I'm concerned about is how dull those fields look, I don't think the series doesn't need to go to 3D, the fixed environments worked great.)

Characters, story and gameplay are better than vesperia... so yes.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Yes, it's a fantastic game and one of the better JRPGs this generation on consoles.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Any commentary on the environments?
Towns are pretty but give off the illusion of scale, act as hubs for sidequests and main story events, and don't seem to do much else outside of that.

Connecting areas like fields and dungeons kind of have boring dungeon design, exist for the sake of showing off a sense of scale and provide little substance or incentive for players to fully explore due to the base design being "give the players a sense of grandeur while sticking items here and there and plopping enemies with little rhyme/reason". The field design is still weird to me because I typically don't like things that exist for the sake of existing for spectacle.

Of course, it seems as though the opinion on the field/town environments seems to be half-and-half now. So who knows what you'll think of it? I just tend to be more critical about this stuff because... well, there are games that did this sort of formula better in my opinion, and I just don't like it when games provide something for the sake of the mechanic/area existing but just don't use it or use it right. Also, I'm just harsher than other players. Ha.

It's a good game even with its flaws, and people here enjoyed the narrative, so go for it.

I just got passed the Ice Cavern and I just realized what is wrong with Jude.

I'm starting to dislike him a bit.
Oh? Huh, what happened?

Bladenic

I think the big fields have potential but they need to work on them substantially. Also towns have always been illusionary in most Tales/RPGs, though I was still disappointed that most towns were so small compared to fields. Leronde being only one street...

Finalow

must
protect
everyone
derrr

anyway, I played like 6 hours today and I should be near the end. liking the story so far but I hope they explain some things in or before the end.
I'd say that some scenes have been a bit dumb, particularly the ones where
Alvin shoots Leia, or most of the Ivar scenes//
but overall way better than the last Tales I played *graces*.

Top Bottom