• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

Finalow

I didn't think that Jude *big spoilers*
reaction to Milla's death was that bad, I mean after what Muzet said to him I understand the shock and everything. it was dumb that Leia realized that Milla saved them all (duuh) and he didn't until when he snaps out of it (and yes that was pretty random). That "throwing the food Leia made for him" was a little too much as well, but STILL I found the scenes after much more retarded. Maybe it would have been better to lose that 1v1 with Alvin.

anyway, just curiosity, is there someone who played Xillia 2 without knowing japanese? :<

aravuus

reaction to Milla's death was that bad, I mean after what Muzet said to him I understand the shock and everything. it was dumb that Leia realized that Milla saved them all (duuh) and he didn't until when he snaps out of it (and yes that was pretty random). That "throwing the food Leia made for him" was a little too much as well, but STILL I found the scenes after much more retarded. Maybe it would have been better to lose that 1v1 with Alvin.

anyway, just curiosity, is there someone who played Xillia 2 without knowing japanese? :<

Yeah, like I said earlier, I really disliked that part. It's also why I hate JRPG protagonists' tendency of wanting to do everything by themselves.
He gets to know how it feels first-hand when someone close to you tries to do something by him/herself, yet he still insists on doing everything alone? For fuck's sake. Thank god the BSOD didn't last long.

I feel annoyed because
I just lost to Gaius after beating the Chimeriad, despite it all looking good until I screwed up and his mystic arte fucked me up, as soon as we got killed I was thinking "It still seems like an easy fight, I just fucked up, I'll kick his ass this time" - then the cutscene happened and I immediately realised this was the fight you guys have been talking about where you can lose and continue but it feels a lot better to win. Is there any loot/other benefits to beating him? I can't remember where I last saved :/

Finalow

Spell tuning is different for every spell, and the arte description tells you how to use it and what it does. In Fireball's case, you can keep pressing the arte button to shoot more Fireballs, up to 4 in total. Then at the end of your fourth Fireball, you can Guard to stop the spell finishing animation and start up a new Fireball spell. Guard cancelling works best with Fireball but you can use it with other spells as well, like continually casting Splash.

The reason Fireball is so effective is it causes Burn status affliction, which shaves off health based on max HP. When playing on hard, this is a godsend as you're hitting for 200-400 but each Burn tick takes off 1000+. It can easily deal 15000 damage by itself.
this looks really broken. I'm going to try it soon enough.

seems like fireball spamming requires you to have unlocked a few of the speed casting skills.

Are you suppose to be able to take down
gaius
the first time you fight him? He was noticeably tougher than other bosses but manageable.

was definitely in the zone teleporting around every attack he did as jude.

still have the issue with enemy mystic artes. Running away with my dude when he's in overlimit is easy, wish the ai folks would do the same.

Finalow

I feel annoyed because
I just lost to Gaius after beating the Chimeriad, despite it all looking good until I screwed up and his mystic arte fucked me up, as soon as we got killed I was thinking "It still seems like an easy fight, I just fucked up, I'll kick his ass this time" - then the cutscene happened and I immediately realised this was the fight you guys have been talking about where you can lose and continue but it feels a lot better to win. Is there any loot/other benefits to beating him? I can't remember where I last saved :/
you get an Exceed as item drop if you beat him. Exceed = gives you +1 AC. nothing great and you can get more later on.

Finalow

still have the issue with enemy mystic artes. Running away with my dude when he's in overlimit is easy, wish the ai folks would do the same.
well, if the boss doesn't follow you while you run from him (that way he just keeps chasing you until the overlimit ends and doesn't use his mystic arte) you just have to deal with the fact that your 2 party members are going to die, assumed that you're linked with someone.
iirc there are some boss mystic artes that have a huge range so even if you're far away from him and he still uses it, you take some damage.

his mystic arte only hits 1 guy though, o_O

If you're referring to me,
that's why I feel really fucking stupid lol. I was comboing him before his overlimit and neglected a couple of party members who were close to death, thinking I'd just hold him off since he was nearly dead. Then everything happened at once, after the mystic arte, only Milla was left with minimal HP. She just stood trying to cast something and got slapped. I couldn't use a life bottle.

Bladenic

I did but I used a guide.

Holmes

I wonder how long it will take me to do my NG+ Jude playthrough? Inheritting level 99 and devil arms + skipping cutscenes.

Jiraiza

I should. Are they good? And I meant they should continue with having blood in the games so it doesn't look so awkward.

You mean like when Richard was stabbing some random grunt when he went batshit insane and no blood came out? Yeah, I couldn't help but laugh at how lame that scene was.

Anyway, if you're a Tales fan, I'd recommend at least watching the OVAs just because. Otherwise, the OVAs are pretty rushed to hell, etc.

LuuKyK

So, should I use all these high level items to upgrade the shops or save them? I ask because maybe there are some missable items for side quests or something that cant be found again...

Finalow

basically you have to kill around 1500-2000 monsters with every character in oder for the fell arms to be stronger than level 100 shop weapons? After you unlock the "true power" of course.

also, I got 22/23 mysterious jewels/dark orbs, an easy way to find the one I missed? :[

Bladenic

Tales of Symphonia OVA and Tales of Vesperia's movie are pretty good. Avoid the Tales of the Abyss anime.

I been meaning to watch the ToV movie. I'll probably watch the ToS OVAs. I'm not interested in watching the TotA anime because I don't want to revisit those awful characters ever again haha.

Music is for good, Milla & Alvin tag team monster killin' all day, errrday, and the skits might even be better than ToV's. It makes up for a ton of stuff to me.

I think the big fields have potential but they need to work on them substantially. Also towns have always been illusionary in most Tales/RPGs, though I was still disappointed that most towns were so small compared to fields. Leronde being only one street...

As wierd and eerie as it is in these towns (I think it's the lack of movement from NPCs and at times, no music), I think this is better than what Grandia 2 did, where they put all the neccessary shops up front, then had vast numbers of NPCs who gave out foreshadow flavor speech about something that was going to happen at the next plot trigger event in the very same town.

converting tales games into anime has always been a bit weird, manly because having 4+ guys gang up on 1 boss dude doesn't make good action lol.

its that weird sentai feeling of you kinda feel bad for the bad guy.

SaintZ

So I beat
Maxwell last night and Milla's back with me. Ugh at Gaius being bad again with Crazy!Múzet
-_-

I also beat one of the Devil Beast in the mine but the one in the Meadow (the cat) destroyed me lol.

And I thought I had more subevents completed but I'm at 52 *smh* I doubt I'm getting that trophy during my first run.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I been meaning to watch the ToV movie. I'll probably watch the ToS OVAs. I'm not interested in watching the TotA anime because I don't want to revisit those awful characters ever again haha.

Yeah, the TotA anime is bad. I watched it on a whim and wasn't very impressed with it.

Shengar

converting tales games into anime has always been a bit weird, manly because having 4+ guys gang up on 1 boss dude doesn't make good action lol.

its that weird sentai feeling of you kinda feel bad for the bad guy.
They can if the battle have some coreography before hand, not just spamming powerful attacks and wait their turn to strike. But that would be hell for the animator I suppose, and need really talented director to pull that off.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Never got around to watching The First Strike yet, actually. Watched the Eternia, Phantasia, Abyss, and Symphonia OVAs, though. And Tales of Fandom Gaiden, I guess, would kinda count.

It's probably because I'm so lazy on watching my anime in the first place. I don't watch TV much either, outside of Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, and the news, haha.

Yeah, the TotA anime is bad. I watched it on a whim and wasn't very impressed with it.

better than eternia!

Didn't really enjoy TOS. i guess with its release schedule being all over the place, and there weird way of compressing a 70 hr game into a dozen or so episodes.

at least the ED's were cute.

What costumes we can expected to be released here? I really want Milla's Tales of Graces f costume.

Xillia 2. And will probably be pre-order/first print/whatever they call it bonus for it.

The only costumes we probably won't get are the anime related ones (Star Driver, Idolmaster, Code Geass, Madoka) and Milla's Ayumi's outfit.

kewlmyc

What costumes we can expected to be released here? I really want Milla's Tales of Graces f costume.

A while back Baba said he wanted all of them to be released here. I doubt we'll get the Star Driver costumes or the Idolmaster ones, but we might.

The Asbel costume you mentioned is a preorder bonus for Tales of Xillia 2. We'll probably get that next year for preordering.

Shengar

The Asbel costume? That's in Xillia 2.

Xillia 2. And will probably be pre-order/first print/whatever they call it bonus for it.

The only costumes we probably won't get are the anime related ones (Star Driver, Idolmaster, Code Geass, Madoka) and Milla's Ayumi's outfit.

A while back Baba said he wanted all of them to be released here.  I doubt we'll get the Star Driver costumes or the Idolmaster ones, but we might.

The Asbel costume you mentioned is a preorder bonus for Tales of Xillia 2.  We'll probably get that next year for preordering.

That's for Xillia 2? Man, that costume is really good I want it :(
Thanks for the info, now I don't have to wait to buy a fix. (never fan of Milla's default costume)

Stuart444

Tales of Symphonia OVA and Tales of Vesperia's movie are pretty good. Avoid the Tales of the Abyss anime.

I like the Tales of the Abyss anime :/ though people who don't like Abyss won't like the anime.

It's still a good anime.

ToS OVA (the first 4) are pretty rushed, not seen the ones after that.

Vesperias movie is very good.

Bladenic

So I beat
Maxwell last night and Milla's back with me. Ugh at Gaius being bad again with Crazy!Múzet
-_-

I also beat one of the Devil Beast in the mine but the one in the Meadow (the cat) destroyed me lol.

And I thought I had more subevents completed but I'm at 52 *smh* I doubt I'm getting that trophy during my first run.

That fight was so epic. His Mystic Arte is amazing.

Rhapsody

Banned
I've only ever completed First Strike which I liked (I hear there are inconsistencies or plot holes though?). I've yet to finish ToP, ToS, and TotA's anime though. Just stopped for some reason.

The whole
Gaius and crazy Muzét thing while kind of... generic is actually nice to see a character actually lose it in a Tales game. Muzét is strangely yandere now.

I'm on
Elympios
now, all characters around level 55, how close am I to the end? I'm gonna do Milla's story after the second set of DLC drops so I can buy something and have something new to look at. The colour palette swaps were okay for a while but I need some new threads.

Bladenic

The whole
Gaius and crazy Muzét thing while kind of... generic is actually nice to see a character actually lose it in a Tales game. Muzét is strangely yandere now.

I'm on
Elympios
now, all characters around level 55, how close am I to the end? I'm gonna do Milla's story after the second set of DLC drops so I can buy something and have something new to look at. The colour palette swaps were okay for a while but I need some new threads.

You only have about 1-2 hours left max. One dungeon then the final "dungeon" stretch.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I actually liked that the anime cutscenes in Xillia were minimal because when they did pop up, it was something like a spectacle or something truly grand/special.

I actually liked that the anime cutscenes in Xillia were minimal because when they did pop up, it was something like a spectacle or something truly grand/special.

and makes you sad, realizing that hey, this ps2 era engine can't render 'damaged' character models... and have more than a few character models on the screen at a time.

Speaking of those cutscenes... why was
gaius's katana normal sized in the cutscene? Did it shrink and i missed it?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
and makes you sad, realizing that hey, this ps2 era engine can't render 'damaged' character models... and have more than a few character models on the screen at a time.

Not sure how this is better than many of the other infarmous RPGs out there who don't render damage. Would it be better? Sure. Does it take you out of the experience/immersion? Sure. Is it the limitation of the hardware and possibly outside of their scope. Most likely.

Not sure how this is better than many of the other infarmous RPGs out there who don't render damage. Would it be better? Sure. Does it take you out of the experience/immersion? Sure. Is it the limitation of the hardware and possibly outside of their scope. Most likely.

is it reaaaally a limitation of hardware though? ps3 has had good looking games i think lol.

And when this game has characters and objects popping in left and right, and textures look last gen and still have random framerate drops... it does kinda bum one out.

Top Bottom