• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

DR2K

Banned
So PS4 version preload and preorder content is available. The Story episode, costumes, weapons, arts, and theme are available for preorders.

zakujanai

I started this on PS3 didn't thinking it'd be that bad.

Jesus Christ is it bad. Even the voice acting and script is a new level of low, don't get me wrong I hardly value the Japanese voice acting but it just comes across as piss poor. I'm only about 2 hours in so far so I'll give it time for more characters but in these two hours impressions were mostly negative honestly.

I very much doubt that getting further week win you round.

The skill system keeps bothering me so much. I don't mind camera/fps drops, but one of the reason I loved Grace combat system was because of the synergy between the various systems.

It was just such a joy to grind titles. Here, I don't know wtf I'm doing half of the time when it comes to skills, and the progression feels overall unsatisfying.

Its so hard to keep the skills you've built up in the grid, there should be a way to manually edit an items skills. The one time only offer of adding an ability from a Normin is doing my head in, why can't they just be like attachments you can clip on to add that skill, and clip off to move to another item.

So far I am focusing on getting the first column for that sweet all stats +20 bonus.
Playing on second difficulty, bosses are a bit hard but it's manageable.

I did the same and just about managed to get a couple of characters with the first column filled, one with the first two. However, now I can't really change their equipment because anything new breaks the columns and any benefits the new items offer is cancelled by losing that stat boost from the union. I've had sone people with the same set up for hours now and It's really starting to bother me.

zakujanai

Just got way too excited because a notification popped up saying recording was unblocked when I entered
a crucible.

Immediately blocked as soon as I left again though after winning the fight. Why the hell even bother?

aravuus

Shadowplay is so light I'm tempted to record my whole playthrough just as a fuck you to Bamco lol

Well, except for the fact that apparently Shadowplay can't be used to record my second monitor for some reason, which I play my controller games on.

Burbeting

Banned
Since the game is now out in EU, I think I'll buy this today, I guess. I liked Xillia, although Xillia 2 was kinda eh.

Just one question,
is the Alisha episode in the game or is it DLC?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Since the game is now out in EU, I think I'll buy this today, I guess. I liked Xillia, although Xillia 2 was kinda eh.

Just one question,
is the Alisha episode in the game or is it DLC?

It's DLC, you can get it for free from Namco's website until sometime in November, though.

Kouriozan

I did the same and just about managed to get a couple of characters with the first column filled, one with the first two. However, now I can't really change their equipment because anything new breaks the columns and any benefits the new items offer is cancelled by losing that stat boost from the union. I've had sone people with the same set up for hours now and It's really starting to bother me.
I think I'll run in this situation pretty soon too.
I'll try to get another column to see what is the bonus, I think.

adz2ka

Technical battle question that may not be able to be answered yet..

About 10 hours in, I've unlocked a battle action called 'Free and free', essentially letting you free run without the use of L2. Does this have the same draw backs as traditional free run in the sense that you don't recover SC whilst moving? Also, is this the case for 'lined moving' so you don't recover SC moving either?

I guess my question is, is there any reason NOT to have it equipped?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

About 10 hours in, I've unlocked a battle action called 'Free and free', essentially letting you free run without the use of L2. Does this have the same draw backs as traditional free run in the sense that you don't recover SC whilst moving? Also, is this the case for 'lined moving' so you don't recover SC moving either?

Why not just equip it for a fight with any smaller enemy and test directly whether it recovers SC or not ?

adz2ka

I'm struggling to notice any difference with and without it equipped. SC recovery techniques in this game are slightly more advanced than previous games

adamsapple

I'm struggling to notice any difference with and without it equipped. SC recovery techniques in this game are slightly more advanced than previous games

I'm at work but will def. check it out when i'm back home and reply to this, but hopefully someone else confirms this as well cause i'd like to find out as well.

The last boss fight i had --
fire trial shrine guardian
-- had me cheesing it a lot by free running around the arena.

AHindD

Wait, the game is only 4.6GB? I thought It was 12GB?

Just like with every other PS4 game, its 4ish GB to start playing, while the entire game is 12Gb. You can play after downloading the first 4Gb, and it will continue downloading the rest.

Really looking forward to more people picking this up, I'm finding the equipment / skills / some combat mechanics slightly confusing (it feels like I'm making limited progression sometimes with regards to gear, and I have no idea what your equipment proficiency score does) and could use some advice :) Overall though, the game is fantastic. It has an addictive quality to it that I haven't found in the majority of modern games.

tauke

Shadowplay is so light I'm tempted to record my whole playthrough just as a fuck you to Bamco lol

Well, except for the fact that apparently Shadowplay can't be used to record my second monitor for some reason, which I play my controller games on.

I recommend using OBS with Shadowplay encoding if you running dual monitor.

Just configure OBS to record Zestiria game and you're good to go.

I'm planning to record my playthrough of Zestiria as a LP. With Life is Strange EP5 and Zestiria, my gaming time is so limited. ;-;

aravuus

I recommend using OBS with Shadowplay encoding if you running dual monitor.

Just configure OBS to record Zestiria game and you're good to go.

I'm planning to record my playthrough of Zestiria as a LP. With Life is Strange EP5 and Zestiria, my gaming time is so limited. ;-;

Oh cool, thanks! I've never recorded my own playthroughs but I might this time, could be fun!

Maffis

I'm kinda turned off by the flatness of the world from what I've seen from the trailers. Both Vesperia and Symphonia had such beautifully crafted worlds. Is it like this throughout the whole game?

adamsapple

I'm kinda turned off by the flatness of the world from what I've seen from the trailers. Both Vesperia and Symphonia had such beautifully crafted worlds. Is it like this throughout the whole game?

Cities and towns are just like you would remember them, more like Xillia than Vesperia though, its all the big-wide plains that connect the zones that are all flat and plain, since there is no overworld, zones are connected via plains and forests that you need to traverse.

Maffis

Cities and towns are just like you would remember them, more like Xillia than Vesperia though, its all the big-wide plains that connect the zones that are all flat and plain, since there is no overworld, zones are connected via plains and forests that you need to traverse.

ok good to hear, thanks.

zakujanai

Wait, the game is only 4.6GB? I thought It was 12GB?

12.47gb installed from the disc.

Currently 22 hours in
2 hours 24 minutes in battle
5 hours in menus

By far the worst Tales game I've played (though Hearts R is still sitting in my Vita TV untouched, not sure whether that will rival this). Absolutely fuck the incredibly expensive fast travel system, it's completely preventing me ever revisiting anywhere. Does anyone know if this improves or becomes free at any stage? Just had to return from a dungeon to pursue a sidequest and it cost 2550 of my 42000 gald. This is 10% of the total amount I've spent this far in the entire game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I need to finish Corpse Party Blood Drive first before I dive into this together with DQH. :/

I also got Lunar: SSH and Eternal Sonata in my backlog too.

Ketkat

Absolutely fuck the incredibly expensive fast travel system, it's completely preventing me ever revisiting anywhere. Does anyone know if this improves or becomes free at any stage? Just had to return from a dungeon to pursue a sidequest and it cost 2550 of my 42000 gald. This is 10% of the total amount I've spent this far in the entire game.

That doesn't sound that expensive to me... Its only 2.5k gald

adamsapple

Doesn't it scale with how much money you have? I could see it getting expensive late game unless there are other ways to travel/make it cheaper.

Man who cares about fast travel. Just wind-dash (?) enemy to enemy and you're running at basically 2X speed and you're getting free gald and experience for doing fights. I haven't used the fast travel in the game at all so far.

Man who cares about fast travel. Just wind-dash (?) enemy to enemy and you're running at basically 2X speed and you're getting free gald and experience for doing fights. I haven't used the fast travel in the game at all so far.

I didn't know wind-dash was a thing. I don't think I'm that far yet. For what it's worth, I haven't used fast travel yet either. I'm happy to run and fight shit along the way.

RPGCrazied

Man, I can't wait for this. I tried my best to media blackout this game. I know all the main characters, but know next to nothing about the story.

Is there a Cameo battle in this or no?

Rpgmonkey

12.47gb installed from the disc.

Currently 22 hours in
2 hours 24 minutes in battle
5 hours in menus

By far the worst Tales game I've played (though Hearts R is still sitting in my Vita TV untouched, not sure whether that will rival this). Absolutely fuck the incredibly expensive fast travel system, it's completely preventing me ever revisiting anywhere. Does anyone know if this improves or becomes free at any stage? Just had to return from a dungeon to pursue a sidequest and it cost 2550 of my 42000 gald. This is 10% of the total amount I've spent this far in the entire game.

Later on you can get Seraphs that will reduce the cost of fast traveling in an area.

Rpgmonkey

Free & Free is basically just permanent Free Run, which means it retains the draw back of not being able to cover SC while moving. Linear Movement recovers SC while moving, so you can only recover SC in that way if you switch to linear movement (L2) or stand still. Otherwise the game functions just fine with it on, though there were some times where being in permanent Free Run made the camera screwy...

Interesting ability, kinda makes the game play a bit like Star Ocean.

Ok, thanks.

One more question I have is about costumes. Is there any at all in the game, or are they all DLC?

There are a couple. For most characters it's basically all DLC.

Erekiddo

I'm really torn on which version to get.

I'm generally a sucker for getting RPGs on consoles when I can.

However, the Steam version is $10 cheaper, comes with the DLC and a copy of Tales of Symphonia.

I have a copy of Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube and PS3, but.

Kasumin

That doesn't sound that expensive to me... Its only 2.5k gald

It costs a certain percentage of your gald. Somewhere around 6%. So if you have a million gald... yeah, it's going to cost a lot.

Because fast travel was free in Xillia and Xillia 2 and them suddenly slapping a cost on it makes no sense? I guess they want the player to appreciate their wide open, empty fields? It's still ridiculous and feels like they're just padding the game out by pushing the player to run through every area every time.

Later on you can get Seraphs that will reduce the cost of fast traveling in an area.

I seem to recall that being part of a sidequest where you have to grind a bit to do that, though?

Top Bottom