• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Rpgmonkey

I seem to recall that being part of a sidequest where you have to grind a bit to do that, though?

From what I remember most (maybe all?) of them are gotten through the story.

I think there's like two or three levels of cost reduction you can upgrade to. The first level at least is usually really easy to get and helps to take a little of the edge off.

I'm about 5 hours in and the voice acting is still wonky and the faux open world is pretty bad but some how I'm still playing it without any major problems. How do you get attachments in this one? I've found them in chests is that literally it, no quests?

zakujanai

That doesn't sound that expensive to me... Its only 2.5k gald

In 22 hours I'd spent 22k gald in total. No purchase I've made had been even remotely close to 2.5k and yet I had to spend then just to avoid 20 minutes of tedious back tracking. It doesn't even scale by how far you want to go, traveling to a save 30 seconds running time away costs the same as returning to the very first area.

Later on you can get Seraphs that will reduce the cost of fast traveling in an area.

This sounds promising, guess I'll leave my backtracking until later in the game.

nikos

Really torn on whether I should get this or not.

I've played other Tales games but, despite enjoying my time playing, never finished a single game for some reason.

I'd probably go for the digital PS4 version, which would put me over PSN's spend $100, get $15 promo. I am also interested in other games that would put me over the top, which makes this decision more difficult.

Should I just bite the bullet? I briefly watched a few streams but didn't want to be spoiled on anything. Tried the demo at Comic Con but only for one battle. Should've spent more time with it. I may be able to try it at a friend's on Tuesday, so perhaps I'll wait.

LowParry

I've played other Tales games but, despite enjoying my time playing, never finished a single game for some reason.

I'd probably go for the digital PS4 version, which would put me over PSN's spend $100, get $15 promo. I am also interested in other games that would put me over the top, which makes this decision more difficult.

Should I just bite the bullet? I briefly watched a few streams but didn't want to be spoiled on anything. Tried the demo at Comic Con but only for one battle. Should've spent more time with it. I may be able to try it at a friend's on Tuesday, so perhaps I'll wait.

Probably not.

Falk

that puzzling face
Would say if you've never finished a Tales game, you shouldn't be paying full price for a new one.

nikos

Probably not.

If you're not sure, this is the best option I say.

Would say if you've never finished a Tales game, you shouldn't be paying full price for a new one.

Thanks guys. I get caught up in hype too easily and end up buying way more games than I should. I'll probably try a friend's copy first to play it safe this time.

It's hard for me to gauge interest in an RPG without playing it for a couple of hours though.

EDIT: I probably never finished the previous games I played because I was playing too many games at the time. That's always the case though, so the game would really have to be pretty engaging for me to put dozens of hours into it.

Falk

that puzzling face
I wouldn't say Zestiria is head-and-shoulders better than the other Tales games. Not by a long shot. So yeh, friend's copy. Can always grab it later on if you absolutely are compelled to.

Played a bit more today finished up the first city, just had the
water seraph bless the city
anyone comment on the usefulness of leveling equipment? Do you get to keep skills or is it more to tide you over to your next equipment upgrade?

So far really enjoying alisha and lailah, I see why ppl were so pissed that
alisha leaves

Can you get the fusion forms as costumes?

Honestly, gamestop.com is the real MVP when it comes to the CE. Amazon has been playing with my emotions. They said I would get it day one, then November, then Thursday, now they said December 15. Amazon can go fuck themselves. Went to preorder at Gamestop.com now, I was just charged and its preparing for shipping. already. Confirmed delivery 10/20-10/22/

Bladenic

Are there any sidequest guides? Tales loves its missable events and quests, how's Zestiria?

Edit: damn that sucks, my Amazon says it'll be delivered Tuesday (and it better be).

Cant decide if I should get Tales of Zestiria on Steam now so it will come with a free copy of Tales of Symphonia or get Zestiria on PS4 and have a better chance of actually sticking with it. Im still finding at the moment that I get less distracted playing console games so will actually complete a lot more of them.

RPGCrazied

Honestly, gamestop.com is the real MVP when it comes to the CE. Amazon has been playing with my emotions. They said I would get it day one, then November, then Thursday, now they said December 15. Amazon can go fuck themselves. Went to preorder at Gamestop.com now, I was just charged and its preparing for shipping. already. Confirmed delivery 10/20-10/22/

Same here man. I even tried chatting to 2 Amazon reps, but they didn't have a clue. They kept telling me the item was out of stock. They didn't know what a preorder was or something. But I had the same mid November date. I too went to gamestop.com and was charged, well, it says pending in my bank, but its still a charge. I can't even edit or cancel the order, so hopefully I'm good. Still hasn't shipped yet, I got the 3-5 day shipping though.

Still no unboxing of the NA CE??

Impulsor

Seven hours in. Ps4 version.

It is clear that this game is a ps3 game. Open world maps have loads of pop in. Dungeons look uninspired and samey. Interior designs are super simple and blocky. Camera sucks in some battles.

But I'm totally addicted. Loving the characters from the first minute, really enjoying them all. Loving the story. Loving the battle system. In these aspects, zestiria has the best start in the series in my opinion.

Falk

that puzzling face
I mean, these are clearly ports, not remasters. God Eater 2 Rage Burst on PS4's origins as a PSV game are also really apparent.

Mastering equips only makes them cheaper for fusion.

Thanks won't waste too much time on crazy equipment!

Had my first instance of bad camera today, a boss fight where I couldn't see Jack. My whole team nearly died whilst correcting it, but scraped through in the end, if your in the first dungeon with alisha take care!

Are there any sidequest guides? Tales loves its missable events and quests, how's Zestiria?

Edit: damn that sucks, my Amazon says it'll be delivered Tuesday (and it better be).

You won't really need one with Zestiria.
If I remember right everything is clearly noted on the screen.

I don't think there was a hidden sidequest when I played. At most some sidequests can "disappear" from the screen once you've begun it but you should be able to complete it anyway (I think the
arenas
quest is like that, you get a notification at first but as you advance, it doesn't tell you anymore but you can complete it anytime)

zakujanai

Another point that I realised bothers me, why the hell can't I go in any houses? The towns feel so lifeless and hollow.

I may not have made this clear but I'm really having a bad time with this one. I was really excited for it too. Good thing there are so many RPGs out soon or I'd be a bit gutted.

Persona7

Banned
Same here man. I even tried chatting to 2 Amazon reps, but they didn't have a clue. They kept telling me the item was out of stock. They didn't know what a preorder was or something. But I had the same mid November date. I too went to gamestop.com and was charged, well, it says pending in my bank, but its still a charge. I can't even edit or cancel the order, so hopefully I'm good. Still hasn't shipped yet, I got the 3-5 day shipping though.

Still no unboxing of the NA CE??

I think they hinted at a official unboxing coming soon. I would guess either sometime today or monday?

Falk

that puzzling face
Do -you- usually play games in JP or EN given the choice?

(FWIW EN here for Steam launch, but that's because I already played JP import way back when)

Faenix1

I'm really torn on which version to get.

I'm generally a sucker for getting RPGs on consoles when I can.

However, the Steam version is $10 cheaper, comes with the DLC and a copy of Tales of Symphonia.

I have a copy of Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube and PS3, but.

If you're in Canada check bestbuy. They have a "Preorder 2, save 15%" deal on right now. Got ToZ for $63-something instead of $74.99. Paid $8 more than steam.

Only Tales game I'll consider getting on PC is ToV, I really want it...

Amazon did this to me also, and all I had was the regular version of Zesteria pre-ordered. I spoke with a support rep and the best he/she could do was Wednesday.

jrush64

Banned
Amazon gave me release date delivery after calling them and question them because my original delivery date was November 30

Kirye

Sorry If this has been answered before, but I didn't see it through my quick skim. If I buy the game through GMG do I get the pre-order bonuses like Symphonia? I have a GMG coupon so I'd rather buy from them but I do want that free Symphonia!

Aeana

Sorry If this has been answered before, but I didn't see it through my quick skim. If I buy the game through GMG do I get the pre-order bonuses like Symphonia? I have a GMG coupon so I'd rather buy from them but I do want that free Symphonia!

No, it's only if you buy it on Steam itself.

Saphirax

It's Steam only.

Stuart444

Do you guys play in English or Japanese? I'll probably try JP first, but I'd love to hear opinions.

Always English first and then Japanese for a second playthrough (Japanese first if I import obviously because then I have no choice :p so I have played like 5 - 10 hours in Japanese already lol)

edit: remember as well, if you want to buy it on Steam, better do it soon if you want the pre-order bonuses :)

Why would you buy this digital? You have a history of not beating them. At least if you bought physical you could sell it and recoup some costs.

Stuart444

Could always bug @TalesofU (who are mostly EU but they could probably ask the US guys) or @BandaiNamcoUS on twitter.

Besides that, uhh... wait til Tuesday and see what happens?

Like separately from Zestiria? No, not that I can tell. It and Zestiria are added to your account at the same time.

It says that it will be automatically added to your steam account but I have no idea if that means it will force you to have it instead of having the option to gift it. Would be nice especially for people that already have symphonia on other systems but I don't know.

Stuart444

It says that it will be automatically added to your steam account but I have no idea if that means it will force you to have it instead of having the option to gift it. Would be nice especially for people that already have symphonia on other systems but I don't know.

It puts it straight into your steam library. Unless you can take a game from the library to gift then no you can't?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
hope pc gets the alisha dlc for free too :/
It does you just need to sign up on the VIP site
Even US owners?
I am really curious about this myself.

So far, no one has detailed how NA steam owners are supposed to get these extras. Or have they and I just missed it?
We're all expecting it to be available for players in all regions, but as far as how it will work exactly for PC version buyers it's still up in the air untortunately. I don't think we'll know for sure until the game unlocks on Steam. Quoting myself:

For now no one seems to know for sure. I'm thinking the Mystic Artes and the Alisha DLC will either already be unlocked in the game or that they'll show up in the Bandai Namco VIP corner (at the moment you can only get PS3 and PS4 codes there, even though PC digital is included as eligible for those two pre-order bonuses).

http://steamcommunity.com/app/351970/discussions/0/530646080854653951/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/351970/discussions/0/530646080847787700/

Peff

If you buy it for yourself it's treated as if you had bought both games and immediately added to your library. You miiiight be able to get both separately if you buy it as an inventory item instead, but I have no clue if it's actually possible.

EDIT: They will add an Steam option to the Namco VIP corner once the game is out, like the one for Xenoverse. Just "purchase" them and you'll get two Steam codes to actually get the DLC.

If you buy it for yourself it's treated as if you had bought both games and immediately added to your library. You miiiight be able to get both separately if you buy it as an inventory item instead, but I have no clue if it's actually possible.

EDIT: They will add an Steam option to the Namco VIP corner once the game is out, like the one for Xenoverse. Just "purchase" them and you'll get two Steam codes to actually get the DLC.

Sounds good, I'm assuming you will be able to buy them separately but then again the Symphonia port isn't out till next year.

Burbeting

Banned
Played for two hours or so, feel like I'm really early still,
got to the Ladylake and fought the foxy man again.

For now it feels mostly what I expected, a port from a PS3 game. Story feels pretty typical tales-fare for now, and the game in general looks pretty close to Xillia graphics-wise etc. I like Sorey and Mikleo, they seem to have alright chemistry between them at least for now. Have had awful camera once in a battle. Will keep the expectations low, but so far the game has been pretty delightful.

Rising_Hei

played 7 hours already, i'm finding it more enjoyable and less tedious than Xillia, which had horrible overworld and dungeon design, i'm digging the maps of this game and the battle system keeps getting better

The story might not be convoluted and full of hard to follow stuff, it's pretty simple, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing, and i see that it isn't for now.

It's true that you don't have optional stuff, but me, i was getting tired of the padding of games and i really welcome that, i want to get straight to the point all the time

It's a game made for people that just want to relax while having some fun. (I couldn't do that with Tales of Graces F because the cast, map design, dungeon design, history was the worst i've ever seen)
Despite the lack of vocals. The opening theme and video is starting to grow on me.

I have watched it like 10 times now >_<

dragn said:
thank you russia for ToZ only 12&#8364; :<
You know many of those keys are usually fraudulent, don't you?

nikos

Why would you buy this digital? You have a history of not beating them. At least if you bought physical you could sell it and recoup some costs.

Yeah, it does make a lot more sense for me to buy the physical version. I'm trying to hit $100 on PSN for the promo, but I suppose I could do that with another game. It's hard paying full retail for games, Best Buy GCU has spoiled me.

On another note, I decided to boot up Tales of Hearts R on the Vita, after not playing it for a while, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. It has pretty much convinced me to pick this game up. The thought of playing an RPG on the PS4 alone has me excited.

EDIT: Ordered!

Cornbread78

Yeah, it does make a lot more sense for me to buy the physical version. I'm trying to hit $100 on PSN for the promo, but I suppose I could do that with another game. It's hard paying full retail for games, Best Buy GCU has spoiled me.

On another note, I decided to boot up Tales of Hearts R on the Vita, after not playing it for a while, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. It has pretty much convinced me to pick this game up. The thought of playing an jRPG on the PS4 alone has me excited.
EDIT: Ordered!

Yup, that about sums it up for me. Plus, the Tales games are usually just fun to play in general.

Started playing this over the weekend as a long time Tales player, and actually coming fresh off the PS2 where I was playing the first Fatal Frame game because Halloween... and even in that context I must say, man this game looks rough. I don't care about resolutions or framerate, they should have made the world a bit more artistic to cover up the dated visuals or something. I have a hard time enjoying the exploration of this drab world.

Story seems to take forever to get in gear too. My characters are at level 20 and I really hope the gale shifts gears soon.

Top Bottom