• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Mendrox

Fun fact, I started a new game yesterday and wanted to rush through to Edna and only needed.... 37 minutes.

With the japanese release back then 8:21
With the eurpean release without skipping anything 6:10

These cutscenes are long.

DanJow112

Neo Member
Hi all, just brought this yesterday waiting to finish new Witcher 3 expansion first, but speaking to people who have played this what is the general consensus?

Impulsor

Hi all, just brought this yesterday waiting to finish new Witcher 3 expansion first, but speaking to people who have played this what is the general consensus?

I thought it was gonna be one of the worst because all that came up with the japanese release with Alisha and the camera and whatever.

I'm 10 hours in now. I got home yesterday, played a couple Dragon Quest Heroes missions, ate something, and said to myself. well, let's try out Zestiria, since it's sitting here waiting for me to open it...

10 hours later, that same day, I was going to bed after a marathonian Tales fo Zestiria session.

I'm absolutely loving it. the cast is my favourite one already between all the Tales games. The Skits are awesome, the voice acting is the best in the series in my opinion, the story, even if full of clichés, has compeltely hooked me. The OST is incredible too.

The only complaints I have are: the camera and that it obviously looks like a PS3 game. Some designs are too simplistic, generic and repetitious, and the game suffers from pop in when you are in open areas and in small areas with loads of npcs.

But otherwise, it's turning out to be my favourite game in the series for the moment. It has me completely and helplessly hooked. Like not even vesperia or symphonia managed.

Alisha DLC appeared on the VIP Corner for PC, but for now I can't get it as it's marked as "unavailable".

edit: codes are redeemable now.

Stuart444

Posts like the one above and others I've seen on here and other places just proves my point. There is almost never a 'general' consensus with Tales fans on games. Sometimes there is a general consensus with fans on GAF but for the overall fan base, you'll get many many different opinions on almost all Tales games.

The only one almost everyone agrees with is Tempest being bad lol.

artsi

Well, I love it. I see people here damning the game to hell, but I just can't understand why. I enjoy it very much, and while I love Witcher 3 I haven't even got to playing the expansion yet.

Falk

that puzzling face
Posts like the one above and others I've seen on here and other places just proves my point. There is almost never a 'general' consensus with Tales fans on games. Sometimes there is a general consensus with fans on GAF but for the overall fan base, you'll get many many different opinions on almost all Tales games.

The only one almost everyone agrees with is Tempest being bad lol.

Vesperia edges on the positive side, at least?

Barring the whole "lol we didn't get the localization of the complete game" debacle.

twisteh

Finally started playing this last night, got a few hours in. It's possibly because I'm new to Tales games so I'm fresh but I'm really enjoying this.

Loving the battle system (although I'm pretty clueless as to wtf I'm meant to be doing tbh :p), the story seems good, soundtrack is excellent, hell even the voice acting is decent and quite amusing.

The only negatives I have are the graphics are a bit rough...and the first city you get to is generic as hell & ugly, which is a shame as it looked epic when you see it on the landscape for the first time, but perhaps that's just me.

Impulsor

Finally started playing this last night, got a few hours in. It's possibly because I'm new to Tales games so I'm fresh but I'm really enjoying this.

Loving the battle system (although I'm pretty clueless as to wtf I'm meant to be doing tbh :p), the story seems good, soundtrack is excellent, hell even the voice acting is decent and quite amusing.

The only negatives I have are the graphics are a bit rough...and the first city you get to is generic as hell & ugly, which is a shame as it looked epic when you see it on the landscape for the first time, but perhaps that's just me.

Nah, you're playing a ps3 game basicly. Everything kinda looks liek that throughout the game, but as you said, the battle system is awesome, the story is awesome and the voice acting is really good too.

If you can get over how ps3-ey the game looks, you'll have a blast. Being a nostalgic fan helps too.

twisteh

Nah, you're playing a ps3 game basicly. Everything kinda looks liek that throughout the game, but as you said, the battle system is awesome, the story is awesome and the voice acting is really good too.

If you can get over how ps3-ey the game looks, you'll have a blast. Being a nostalgic fan helps too.

Yeah man, graphics don't bother me at all in games anyway; they're a bit rough like I said but they're fine for their purpose really. My main point about the city was games with poorer graphics can still look good if they have an attractive art style, but the one they chose for the city is just generic and boring, but I don't know if that just comes down to having a small budget or whatever.

Impulsor

Yeah man, graphics don't bother me at all in games anyway; they're a bit rough like I said but they're fine for their purpose really. My main point about the city was games with poorer graphics can still look good if they have an attractive art style, but the one they chose for the city is just generic and boring, but I don't know if that just comes down to having a small budget or whatever.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. In the end I think that a good art direction can end up in a better looking game that a technical marvel without good art direction.

In any case, the second town is more pleasing to the sight IMO, and at least you change scenary after that too.

Graphics are quite clearly not the strong point of this game.

Stuart444

Vesperia edges on the positive side, at least?

Barring the whole "lol we didn't get the localization of the complete game" debacle.

Yeah, Vesperia edges on the positive side but I have seen a number of people dislike it. Though that's a lot rarer than the positive impressions you'll see.

Symphonia 1 is the same but I have been witness to several arguments about it sucking and that but it's 'mostly' positive.

In terms of mixed games, Abyss is probably one of the most mixed titles in the series. I see an equal amount of people in the fan base like it and hate it. And an equal amount of people like/hate Luke before/after the 'incident' which I won't spoiler incase anyone's not played it yet here :). It's defo one of the most interesting titles when it comes to fan reception I say.

But now to get back onto topic of Zestiria, Zesty at least right now is looking to be one of the most mixed titles in the series based on import impressions and early US/EU impressions. I look forward to seeing how it is when more people have their hands on it.

The main consensus so far is the camera sucks. And that the music is good.

I've been entertained for the 5 hours I spent with the game but I totally expect this to suck towards the end.

it's always my main gripe with these games. They start off really good and the last third is usually unengaging garbage which makes the games overstay their welcome by a country mile. Vesperia is the worst contender in this department (coupled with the fact that the story is unfocused the whole time and gets...boring.)

Falk

that puzzling face
Surprisingly enough, I thought Graces actually came together quite well at the end. Didn't overstay its welcome.

and then future arc happened GOD WHY

nOoblet16

Dat OT tittle...it resonates with me.

As for the graphics, I think the game has poor art (atleast judging from what I have seen so far) and looks very bland. It could definitely have looked better even with the simple graphics it has if it had better art.

Stuart444

Surprisingly enough, I thought Graces actually came together quite well at the end. Didn't overstay its welcome.

and then future arc happened GOD WHY

I loved the Future arc lol. I thought it was some mindless non-serious fun for the most part.

At the very least, it was just a bonus of more gameplay that could easily be skipped for people who don't like it at least :p. (considering it was only added for the PS3 release)

twisteh

Yeah, I understand what you mean. In the end I think that a good art direction can end up in a better looking game that a technical marvel without good art direction.

In any case, the second town is more pleasing to the sight IMO, and at least you change scenary after that too.

Graphics are quite clearly not the strong point of this game.

Definitely, anyway as I said I love all the other aspects of this game, don't want to seem negative was just a small thought. Going to play more of it now, hopefully make some progress. :)

Impulsor

Definitely, anyway as I said I love all the other aspects of this game, don't want to seem negative was just a small thought. Going to play more of it now, hopefully make some progress. :)

I can't wait to get home to continue the story. I left it in a super interesting moment!

Demonfang

Banned
Just want to post some of my impressions, i'm just over 6 hours in. I am a massive Tales fan and have been so excited to play this:

+ Battle system follows the base of Graces battle system. Definitely growing on me.
+ I like the no battle transition, makes me feel more connected
+ Open world is great - thank god there is no copy and paste like Xillia.
+ Character are likeable and seem real
+ Story has me intrigued
+ OST is pretty decent so far

/ camera in battle is ok maybe blown out of proportion slightly. Corrects itself pretty quick for me

- Art style is just off, quite dreary and dull
- Armitization (fusing) seems pretty overpowered and easily abusable
- Don't really like the title and weapon system in place for gaining extra stats. takes a lot of management.

Weebos

Banned
Quick question, I know about the Alisha controversy, so what is this Alisha DLC?
Does it just add her as a companion?
If so, is that organic or out of place?

Zankou

Quick question, I know about the Alisha controversy, so what is this Alisha DLC?
Does it just add her as a companion?
If so, is that organic or out of place?

It's just an additional chapter that takes place after the events of the game. But it's not very long, maybe 3 - 5 hours.

twisteh

I can't wait to get home to continue the story. I left it in a super interesting moment!
Anddd so did I just there :( damn you responsibilities! Can't wait to play it again later. I fucking love this game tbh.

Still feeling a bit overwhelmed with the battle system, there seems to be so much to read, just sort of mashing buttons right now...haha

Impulsor

Anddd so did I just there :( damn you responsibilities! Can't wait to play it again later. I fucking love this game tbh.

Still feeling a bit overwhelmed with the battle system, there seems to be so much to read, just sort of mashing buttons right now...haha

the monoliths don't help, because they also repeat a lot of info. It isn't as complicated as they make it seem though. The elemental system is like in previous Tales, though you have to add artes as an extra element. Artes count as "physical" element and some monsters are weak to physical.

Then there's Armatization, that's basicly combining two characters, ending up with the sum of their BG, and being able to unleash an awesome R2 attack after a three hit combo, which is the max combo you can attain with an armatization.

then you have the X button artes, you should read descriptions for those, and the mystic artes that require you to have at least 3 BG and you must press r2+o while in a combo.

The equipment skills
then of course, behind all that is the equipment skill table.

You can do an elemental combo, that consists of at least two icons next to each other in the same row, horizontally,to activate a skill.

you can do a same skill combo, that consists of activating two skills that are identical, even if not next to each other.

You can do a Union combo, it's a vertical combo, consisting of a full column of icons. That adds a bunch of bonuses, including a nice stat boost.

Just so you know, the equipment table is set on fire, every "runee" has a fixed skill and value, and the only thing that varies is what "runes" each item activates, then of course, playing around with equipment combinations you can activate all these bonuses I mentioned and even stack them up with the skills items have in each of their 4 slots, that are completely independent from this table.

The fusing system uses a 4 slot system for each equipment piece.

so for example and for the sake of being a bit more clear:

sword 1:
attack up
defense up
hp up
blank slot
+
sword 2:
blank
defense up
mp up
speed up
=
sword 3
attack up
defense up
NEW SKILL
speed up

the fusion system keeps the skills that can occupy a blank slot or that are in the same slot but are of the same type. So if the same slot in both swords has defense up, you will have a new sword with defense up (do not remeber if it stacks though).

If there is a blank in any of the two and a skill on the other, you wil keep that skill, occupying the blank slot.

If there are two different skils inthe same slot, you will have a new skill as a result.

If both have a blank, you will keep the blank.

Dunno if I'm missing something, If I am, please let me know.

Lehow

Apparently Steam will unlock the game at midnight CEST worldwide. I´m from Brazil and is the store page says that will unlock in only 10 hours.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Game has been on the top sellers list for a while and now is snatching the #1 spot.
b1a1665bdd.png

Sell a bit Tales of Zestiria!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Guys what do you all think of the way the game gives you side quests ?

I sort of like and dislike it at the same time, at one point i'm in a stage of the game where suddenly after a story quest when i spoke to my companion character, there's like 4 pages of new 'quests' or 'updates' you can say .. for both the main story and side stuff.

it's bad because there's no separate menu page where they are all listed neatly, but it's also good because it's a bit more immersive that you get the information in-game and the character also tells you either exactly what you need to do or gives you hints on how you can complete the goal.

Lutherian

Apparently Steam will unlock the game at midnight CEST worldwide. I´m from Brazil and is the store page says that will unlock in only 10 hours.

In France, it will be unlocked at 1am... tomorrow. The store page still claims that the game will be released today (19th October). Sigh :(.

Jobbs

Banned

I'm an "occasional" tales fan in that I really really loved a few specific Tales games (Symphonia and Vesperia, most notably) but haven't played all of them. I'm getting this because it's PS4 and the reviews have seemed to generally indicate that it's good. People are saying the combat is strong and that while some of the dungeons are bad, the open world in general is well done.

I'm also just really curious to see first hand how an open world Tales game works.

Mendrox

You never get that impression while playing this game though. I should have just gotten it for my upstairs PS3.

Oh god no the PS3 version is horrible compared to the new PS4 version. Nobody should play this game on the PS3... even if you have to (play on PC then). It literally makes the game so bad and steals all the fun out of it.

artsi

You never get that impression while playing this game though. I should have just gotten it for my upstairs PS3.

I have it on PS3 and no, you should have not. It looks and performs like ass, which is why I double dipped and got it on PS4.

Bladenic

Shipping now, yay. Won't be able to play much tomorrow unfortunately. I'm getting it on PS3 though, kinda worried. Wonder if the game will end up being the worst running Tales game I've played (current champ is Abyss but that was mostly fine in battle minus some glitches).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oh god no the PS3 version is horrible compared to the new PS4 version. Nobody should play this game on the PS3... even if you have to (play on PC then). It literally makes the game so bad and steals all the fun out of it.

I'm playing the PS3 version, it's far from what you're describing. Frame rate is very solid, only dips during big effect-attacks during combat.

So I know about the equipment skill stuff, but what customization/upgrading/leveling up is there outside of that? Is there any type of sphere grid style thing like the previous few games? Is it just flat out leveling up and getting higher stats from that? Anything else?

I hear its much worse on PS3. 720p with no AA with some pretty gross framerate problems.

I have it on PS3 and no, you should have not. It looks and performs like ass, which is why I double dipped and got it on PS4.

Really... color me amazed. I feel like I have better looking PS3 games than this PS4 game...

twisteh

the monoliths don't help, because they also repeat a lot of info. It isn't as complicated as they make it seem though. The elemental system is like in previous Tales, though you have to add artes as an extra element. Artes count as "physical" element and some monsters are weak to physical.

Then there's Armatization, that's basicly combining two characters, ending up with the sum of their BG, and being able to unleash an awesome R2 attack after a three hit combo, which is the max combo you can attain with an armatization.

then you have the X button artes, you should read descriptions for those, and the mystic artes that require you to have at least 3 BG and you must press r2+o while in a combo.

The equipment skills
then of course, behind all that is the equipment skill table.

You can do an elemental combo, that consists of at least two icons next to each other in the same row, horizontally,to activate a skill.

you can do a same skill combo, that consists of activating two skills that are identical, even if not next to each other.

You can do a Union combo, it's a vertical combo, consisting of a full column of icons. That adds a bunch of bonuses, including a nice stat boost.

Just so you know, the equipment table is set on fire, every "runee" has a fixed skill and value, and the only thing that varies is what "runes" each item activates, then of course, playing around with equipment combinations you can activate all these bonuses I mentioned and even stack them up with the skills items have in each of their 4 slots, that are completely independent from this table.

The fusing system uses a 4 slot system for each equipment piece.

so for example and for the sake of being a bit more clear:

sword 1:
attack up
defense up
hp up
blank slot
+
sword 2:
blank
defense up
mp up
speed up
=
sword 3
attack up
defense up
NEW SKILL
speed up

the fusion system keeps the skills that can occupy a blank slot or that are in the same slot but are of the same type. So if the same slot in both swords has defense up, you will have a new sword with defense up (do not remeber if it stacks though).

If there is a blank in any of the two and a skill on the other, you wil keep that skill, occupying the blank slot.

If there are two different skils inthe same slot, you will have a new skill as a result.

If both have a blank, you will keep the blank.

Dunno if I'm missing something, If I am, please let me know.

Thank you a lot for this very detailed post, I appreciate it. Definitely understand the fusing system a lot better now!

That's an exaggeration. The PS3 version is fine and more than serviceable. It just has some framerate jank when there's a lot going on at once (as in, an exceptional amount) and could have benefited from the higher resolution and AA found in the PS4/PC version. It's far from horrible, just technically inferior.

Edit: (I guess I should mention I'm referring to the Japanese PS3 version, didn't consider it but I guess it's possible something got messed up in the localization. That or I just have lower standards.)

Really... color me amazed. I feel like I have better looking PS3 games than this PS4 game...

You probably do. This game wasn't really given the biggest budget and they went with a disappointing visual direction.

Kazer

So... has Bamco said where the Steam DLC will be for NA? I can't seem to find any info about it and the VIP corner is EU only I believe.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
So... has Bamco said where the Steam DLC will be for NA? I can't seem to find any info about it and the VIP corner is EU only I believe.

The key from VIP Corner can be redeemed on your steam account without issues. I did and Im on US.
a5e2c19c06.png

Top Bottom