• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

artsi

Do the story and characters get any better in this? I'm up to the Galahad ruins and so far this has been the weakest cast of any Tales game by far. They lack personality and there's none of the humour or charm in the skits like Graces, Abyss, Vesperia even Xillia. Please tell me it gets better. I know the titles I mentioned cop alot of flack from a vocal group of detractors but at least the characters weren't bland like Zestiria is so far.

I think it gets better when Edna and Rose come in.

Game runs great for me. Locked 30 fps at 4k + maxed graphic settings. No screen tearing, audio glitches, or crashes so far.

Only using one of my GPUs as expected. Not that it matters with a 30 FPS cap.

KainXVIII

Vsync enables when you restart the game.
Audio issues fixed when you change sample rate in sound card options to 48khz (from 96khz for me), bit depth does not matter (24bit works just fine)
Don't need to overreacting, guys

Audio issues fixed when you change sample rate in sound card options to 48khz (from 96khz for me), bit depth does not matter (24bit works just fine)

Great tips, I'll apply those settings when I get home tonight. Thanks!

sprinkles

Restart fixed the Vsync issue, thank god. There is nothing I hate more in games than screen tearing, that stuff is just nasty.

Taruranto

Wish Sergei was playable. His design is awesome.

Game picks up once you get to
Rolandia
, second town was especially kinda bad, it was basically a rehash of Vesperia tree-town.

Stuart444

Game works pretty good from what I saw. I skipped most cutscenes since I saw them already on PS4 version so I could check out how battles ran and how it looked in the open field.

bigger draw distance than the PS4 version is immediately apparent. Runs pretty smooth as well.

I'll be interested to hear how it is later in the game from people who are playing the full thing on the PC right away :) I just wanted to start it and see how it ran.

This fixed my audio problems.

They should probably prompt the user that you need to restart. Luckily, I know this going into playing so I'll never have to see tearing.
It's a bug, one they blogged about before launch that they are fixing. Right now none of your setting changes seem to take effect until you restart the game.

Nose Master

I know Tales games are kind of hit or miss, but... how bad is this one? For reference, the only two I've legitimately enjoyed enough to finish were Symphonia and Vesperia.

xezuru

How is this game looking compared to the rest in the series?
Honestly, tales used to be one of my favorite ever and graces f shook me up with the worst story/character writing, but held me steady with one of the best customization systems you can get addicted to. Then Xillia and Xillia 2 came along and both make me give up on the series imo a constant downward quality spiral in terms of rpg design.

Personally, my favorite is Symphonia, while the best is prolly Vesperia.
This shit needs localization though... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0dwFq9IF1Y

Edit: wow that above post.

Nose Master

Haha. Tales is like jRPG madden at this point. You're pretty safe to skip every other one (or more.) (Also none of them touch Symphonia/Vesperia.)

Bought Hearts on a whim for something to play at work, and stopped after about five hours, despite it being purely for playing while getting paid to do so.

Just woke up this morning, downloading now.

So from what I've read, there are 3 troubleshootings already for PC version:

1. Screen tearing: Force v-sync through nvidia/amd control panel
2. Audio issue: Set audio frequency to 48khz or below, 98khz will give you the problem
3. AVG issue: AVG is detecting false positive for Zestiria files, put the game folder to whitelist

Peff

Game's amazingly optimized. Not that it's much of a looker, but it runs really well even with a dual-core and a 5770. If only they had been able to make it 60fps...

Falk

that puzzling face
My unpacking has been getting slower and slower. It was 4 minutes at the start, went up to 16 minutes 2 bars in, and is now sitting at 382 days remaining

Corpekata

Banned
Fixed my crash. For anyone that has crashes when it asks you to pick a language, the game seems to have issues with third party audio programs.

Others on Steam reported fixing it by disabling some Razer sound program, which I don't have. I do have Nahamic audio though, which was part of my MOBO's default software. Disabline that fixed it.

So basically the game seems to be really finnicky with audio stuff right now, if you have issues, fiddle with that sort of thing.

Falk

that puzzling face
Look at it another way. If up up down down left right left right b a start each cost $2 each it'd also be $22.

That's it! It's so obvious!

Update your DirectX binaries people! Every other game on Steam forces a DirectX update on first launch, but ToZ doesn't do that for some reason. There it is, right there!

Stuart444

Been standard since Vesperia.

However, no need for cheat codes on ToZ PC. Cheat Engine means free cheating. Only reason to buy it is if you really don't want to use another program to cheat or don't trust another program.

Plus who needs to cheat :p it's a Tales game.
Unless you're going for all trophies/achievements and don't want to grind levels >.>

Everything working great for me. Running with 4k DSR to 1080p, solid 30fps (lol).

Load times are almost instant which is awesome after playing previous Tales games with long loading and tons of NPC pop-in.

If you're crashing you should probably check the usual suspects: latest directx, vcredist, and drivers.

Rhapsody

Banned
Anyone having controller issues? I read about the keyboard one, but that's not the one I'm having.

Using a wii u pro controller since I don't have anything else, the down button is always held, making it scroll down in menus. I thought maybe the analog defaulted to a position when I synced it, but it doesn't seem like it. Resynced it and it still gave the problem. Any other game, I have no issues.

Edit: never mind, I think I know what the issue is

adz2ka

-I have to say, 20 hours in and the music is top tier Tales. Easily, too.
-I enjoy how the areas are vast and connected, especially once you get to
Meadow of Triumph
(name of the field, not really spoilers as such). It's refreshing coming from Tales of Xillia where at most there were 2 connecting routes max.
-Still not sure about only having 2 human / 2 seraphim characters in your battle party - makes it easier to exploit. Currently breezing through moderate difficulty.

mfaex

Worked for me. Thanks.

Falk

that puzzling face
If I had to hazard a guess, from experience the game is probably choking because it's trying to enforce a sample rate that another application has locked down for exclusive use (yay Windows)

edit: Beaten apparently.

OKAY I'm going to be playing this with M&KB because I figure that'd be hilarious (and I already platinumed JP anyway)

So... Apparently the crashes aren't linked to controllers or drivers or DirectX.

It's USB headsets. I just tried. I unplugged my USB headset and used the audio ports instead, and viola.

Fuck. There goes my 7.1

Dr Dogg

This runs really well, I'm kind of taken a back a little. Shadow map resolution is *blurg* but just trudging through the tutorial dungeon and pretty much bang on 33.3ms framepacing.

Peff

Looks like Quick Save doesn't work. The pause menu just pops back up.

They could have added the silly bonus attachments for having other Tales saves from the PS3 version. Maybe they'll patch them in when we get all the other games (lol).

Anyone else on the PC getting audio glitches, that is weird crackling noises?

I think that's related to the bug they mentioned earlier. Once I restarted everything worked fine.
I had to change my audio output settings in windows to 48000Hz to get the audio to stop crackling.

Also this is the only Steam game I know of that doesn't let you broadcast it. You get a giant BROADCASTING IS DISABLED when trying to Steam broadcast.

Stuart444

I had to change my audio output settings in windows to 48000Hz to get the audio to stop crackling.

Also this is the only Steam game I know of that doesn't let you broadcast it. You get a giant BROADCASTING IS DISABLED when trying to Steam broadcast.

Probably for the same reason as SHARE being disabled on PS4. Lucky PC has 3rd party applications to deal with that.

Falk

that puzzling face
So... Apparently the crashes aren't linked to controllers or drivers or DirectX.

It's USB headsets. I just tried. I unplugged my USB headset and used the audio ports instead, and viola.

Fuck. There goes my 7.1

Specifically when stuff like this happens, it usually boils down to how drivers handle sample rate requests. Applications can take exclusive control over sample rates, and this causes problems with other programs that don't know how to compensate for this.

Before it was patched, Valkyria Chronicles for example didn't crash outright but certain SFX would simply play at the incorrect sample rate (lol)

So it's probably because your USB headset's plug and play driver isn't playing nice with sample rate change requests. If you plug it back in, go to windows sound properties, find it and force 48k it -should- work. (If I'm wrong, I'd really like to know)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This game has one of the worst implementations of AO I've ever seen.

22129289449_6010afaf1a_o.png

No option to turn it off either, blech.

Top Bottom