• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Was hard to get the game to start, but I'm in now. Defaulted to 4k to match my TV, which caused some issues. Hope I can go at 30FPS at 4k, I only have a GTX760. First minute seems fine. Also, the movies play at 24fps which is amusing to me.

DLC section just made my game lock up though.

Falk

that puzzling face
So

Restarted (twice) completely

- Steam Overlay works
- No audio issues (RIP my non-48k work/projects in the interim)
- Quicksave works, no prompt that tells you it saved, but continuing from two different spots seemed to work
- Screen tearing solved, when restarting AFTER setting V-sync to on.
- 30fps :'( (Oh well, we've bitched enough about this)
- Holy hell this mouselook is floaty as hell this is going to be hilarious playing the entire game through like this.

artsi

Waa hard to get the game to start, but I'm in now. Defaulted to 4k to match my TV, which caused some issues. Hope I can go at 30FPS at 4k, I only have a GTX760. First minute seems fine. Also, the movies play at 24fps which is amusing to me.

Well there's a reason, they're anime cutscenes, and anime is generally produced at 24fps so...

I had some weird controller issues, actions were bound to strange buttons and some buttons wouldn't work at all, but restarting the game fixed it.

- Holy hell this mouselook is floaty as hell this is going to be hilarious playing the entire game through like this.
You're playing a Tales game with a M&K? You're pretty bold.

This game has one of the worst implementations of AO I've ever seen.

No option to turn it off either, blech.

Lord that looks atrocious. Does forcing it through GPU drivers look any better? If not, hopefully people manage to mod that soon.

Still got a couple of hours on my Steam download. Getting pretty excited, AO jank aside.

Waa hard to get the game to start, but I'm in now. Defaulted to 4k to match my TV, which caused some issues. Hope I can go at 30FPS at 4k, I only have a GTX760. First minute seems fine. Also, the movies play at 24fps which is amusing to me.

DLC section just made my game lock up though.

A single 680 runs 4k just fine at a locked 30 and the card is only at ~50% utilization. Shame this game isn't 60 fps.

Specifically when stuff like this happens, it usually boils down to how drivers handle sample rate requests. Applications can take exclusive control over sample rates, and this causes problems with other programs that don't know how to compensate for this.

Before it was patched, Valkyria Chronicles for example didn't crash outright but certain SFX would simply play at the incorrect sample rate (lol)

So it's probably because your USB headset's plug and play driver isn't playing nice with sample rate change requests. If you plug it back in, go to windows sound properties, find it and force 48k it -should- work. (If I'm wrong, I'd really like to know)

It's not sample rate. I'm at 48k.

It's audio channels. The game crashes on PCs in 7.1 mode.

Stuart444

So... most issues seem to be resolved with a restart of the game?

Wonder why that is. Ah well, at least it's running smoothly so far.

Game seems like a good port. It's only problem is that it was hampered by the original's coding. Unlike most, I'm not going to fault them. Sometimes optimizing for a particular platform creates non-trivial problems when moving to another platform.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's not sample rate. I'm at 48k.

It's audio channels. The game crashes on PCs in 7.1 mode.

So it's both. (I crashed nonstop at 44.1)

Or a complex combination thereof.

PC GAMING!!!

It's different issues. Sample rate doesn't cause crashes, it causes audio crackling.

I'm telling you it crashed here :(

(FWIW I'm on professional grade audio interface with its own drivers, so it's probably an edge case)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So it's both. (I crashed nonstop at 44.1)

Or a complex combination thereof.

PC GAMING!!!

More like Japanese devs slowly bumbling their way into the PC scene. There will be growing pains like this. We can only hope a Durante-like fellow will come save the day.

Persona7

Banned
I have always wondered if the leveling and money DLC does well for them. How does it even work anyway?

I remember on Vesperia for 360 they had multiple listings for each one but once you got all of them I think that was it and you couldn't buy anymore even if you wanted to?

Falk

that puzzling face
More like Japanese devs slowly bumbling their way into the PC scene. There will be growing pains like this. We can only hope a Durante-like fellow will come save the day.

I'm actually pretty surprised how good M&KB implementation is, outside of how floaty mouselook is outside of menu screens. Clicking on stuff that you'd expect to work, actually works.

Compile Heart games on Steam also had awesome M&KB implementation.

I can think of a couple of franchises that didn't. :mad:

Aeana

If you disable fullscreen mode, it goes into borderless windowed mode automatically. Resolves the tearing problem (provided you have Aero on) and gives you triple buffering too.

Stuart444

I have always wondered if the leveling and money DLC does well for them. How does it even work anyway?

I remember on Vesperia for 360 they had multiple listings for each one but once you got all of them I think that was it and you couldn't buy anymore even if you wanted to?

Appears in the DLC section of the items menu each time you start a new game

If you disable fullscreen mode, it goes into borderless windowed mode automatically. Resolves the tearing problem

Yeah, someone on twitter told me that as well but I didn't think to mention it since a restart seems to fix the issue with the tearing (after V-sync is turned on)

RPGCrazied

Also noticed the ToZ CE box is different. Its not a pull top box, its a folded top box. Not a big deal, but its different.

Also didn't see a soundtrack disc in that CE unboxing, hopefully its in there and they didn't scrap that at the last minute.

Persona7

Banned
Also noticed the ToZ CE box is different. Its not a pull top box, its a folded top box. Not a big deal, but its different.

Also didn't see a soundtrack disc in that CE unboxing, hopefully its in there and they didn't scrap that at the last minute.

Yeah, I originally thought it was exactly like the EU CE which is exactly like the symphonia CE but it is completely different.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
What are these attachment options, you can do some really dumb things with the items. Maybe I can get some orbs and pretend to be Dio.

Hikami

Surprised the game runs perfectly with everything maxed @ 1080p on my PC. Wonder if it can handle some downsampling.

Maxed out in 4K DSR on my GTX 970, no issues or frame drops.

Surprised the game runs perfectly with everything maxed @ 1080p on my PC. Wonder if it can handle some downsampling.

You most likely can. Someone mentioned a 680 doing 4k DSR so my 970 is well overkill for it.

Durante

I really haven't had a single problem with the port so far. Audio works perfectly, downsampling works perfectly, the mouse/kb controls work well and make sense both during gameplay and in menus.

Oh, and it runs at perfectly solid framerate with 5k downsampling.
It's really quite swell.

If anyone wants to take screenshots and/or play without UI overlays (e.g. the minimap), you can use this with GeDoSaTo:
injectPSHash 7b2af8b6
injectDelayAfterDraw true

bigkrev

Game is tearing like crazy for me. What do I have to do in the Nvidia Control Panel to fix it? (I've never had to do this before)

Durante

Game is tearing like crazy for me. What do I have to do in the Nvidia Control Panel to fix it? (I've never had to do this before)
You probably just need to enable v-sync in the in-game options and restart the game. For some reason they don't enable it immediately, but also don't tell you to restart.

Falk

that puzzling face
By the way, you need to enable V-sync (in the options menu), SAVE SETTINGS then restart the game.

I was bad and that caught me the first time. In that I changed it to "on" then alt-F4'd.

Rnr1224

Played a little bit but its annoying that headphones cant be plugged in for it to actually get to the main menu. Don't want to play the game muted. Interestingly enough, it actually plays the audio from the first animated cutscene in the game. Nothing else though.

Zhao_Yun

I am 10 hours into the game now and I definitely like it a lot more than Xillia and Xillia 2 although it isn't without flaws.

What I like thus far:
+ Battle system is more fun than in both Xillias but not as good as in Graces. Kamui seems to be a bit OP though
+ While the field areas feels a bit empty at times I greatly prefer it over Xillia's fields. I couldn't stand all the junk lying around everyhwere.
+ The soundtrack is probably the first Tales soundtrack since Vesperia which doesn't sound bland and generic to me. Go Shiinas tracks are the highlights on the OST and it's too bad that he didn't compose more tracks. Fortunately Sakurabas tracks have improved as well
+ Finally there is Dual Audio in this game
+ Game runs fine on PS4

+- story seems to be standard Tales fare thus far. Same with the characters. No complaints there.

- The camera has problems, especially in narrow spaces. Majority of the battles are fine though
- The skill system is strange. While interesting in theory, the different systems often seem to be at odds with each other. Once I got a good skill arrangement on the skill sheet, I felt reluctant to fuse or switch some of the equipment since it would have led to the loss of a certain skill and with it the bonus skills. It isn't made easier by the fact that you can't see in the fusion menu how the skill sheet layout will change after fusing... All in all, I am still struggling with this system.

Falk

that puzzling face
Played a little bit but its annoying that headphones cant be plugged in for it to actually get to the main menu. Don't want to play the game muted. Interestingly enough, it actually plays the audio from the first animated cutscene in the game. Nothing else though.

USB or 1/8"?

Top Bottom