• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Durante

This game has one of the worst implementations of AO I've ever seen.

22129289449_6010afaf1a_o.png

No option to turn it off either, blech.
I'm not even sure it's supposed to be AO. whatever it is, it's terrible.

No option to turn it off though? This is a PC game.

I caved and grabbed on PC since it launched early.

While it'd be nice if it were more impressive, it's also nice that my more than 3 year old PC can run it with everything maxed and maintain 30fps steady.

Any local co-op impressions from you guys? How is the camera?
I'm planning to play the game in local co-op mode most of the time.

Speaking from experience with Japanese PS3 version (though I've heard no tweaks were made), it's not great. Camera issues are emphasized so certain areas (anywhere with a corner or something that could block a character) get messy fast. Anything over two players was unpleasant to the point of unplayable in my experience, with two players being alright sometimes. My friends and I put up with a lot of Tales co-op issues because we love playing through the games together, but Zestiria just isn't pleasant like that.

You can do it yourself actually. I just dont know where to watch the opening in the game...

I'm still downloading, that's why I'm actively posting here. :(
Apparently, the folks on steam discussion confirm it works.

Tried it. It works flawlessly.
Rename or delete AM_TOZ_OP_001.BK2 and rename AM_TOZ_OP_001_JPN.BK2 to AM_TOZ_OP_001.BK2
http://steamcommunity.com/app/351970/discussions/0/490123727972308290/

Well, damn. It looks bad in cramped area.

Peff

Holy shit, it does work! Just take the _JPN out of AM_TOZ_OP_001_JPN.bk2. Hilarious. Wonder if they'll take it out in a patch.

Stuart444

So, when should one actually play the DLC chapter? Before, during, or after the main game?

Post-game.

Also Camera wise, I do wonder why they had to made it so that 1P = focuses on player, MP = focuses on the enemy.

Could have just made the camera zoom out a little to adjust for how many people are playing.

But it may have been worse like that... but I don't know. Just seems weird and can make it frustrating regardless. But I'm dealing with the wonky camera. :) and hope the next game has it better.

edit: woops, bit late with this but yeah, Co-Op impression ^ is the camera is different and it may or may not be for the worse. It's pretty annoying regardless.

Falk

that puzzling face
Holy shit, it does work! Just take the _JPN out of AM_TOZ_OP_001_JPN.bk2. Hilarious. Wonder if they'll take it out in a patch.

How do you take it out in a patch though

Unless they want the game to md5 checksum the file before playing or something

Hmm, trying to play at 2556x1600 through GeDoSaTo seems to force the game to 4:3 with flickering in the margins. It didn't get captured the way it looked on my screen in the screenshot (It's a bit wider than 4:3 here and no flickering) for some reason, but you can notice something's off here.

DSR works fine for me at this resolution though, don't know why.

Zafir

The file to change is AM_TOZ_OP_001.bk2. Basically, make a copy of AM_TOZ_OP_001_JPN.bk2 to rename to AM_TOZ_OP_001.bk2 and replace it with the old file.

Nice one. Much preferable. I feel like it's just missing something when you don't have the vocals.

The PC port seems pretty good so far. The only real issue that I've had is with the saving. It wasn't allowing me to see some saves I made which meant I had to redo a bit. Not sure what's causing that.

Only slight nitpick is that I wish you could get rid of the weird effect you can see, like around the characters eyes. Very small issue though.

Shepard

Pretty happy with the port. Despite the 30 fps lock, game runs flawlessly even downsampled from 4k. Also, the fast loading times are erasing the bad memories I had of Tales of the Abyss. As for the game itself, and after 1 hour of gameplay, my opinion on the equipment/skill system is:

FPXUkZV.jpg

Derkon

When do you get access to the pre order costumes in game? I'm only an hour in but not sure if it is something that's given to me later on or not.

Falk

that puzzling face
Remove the japanese video file ? There's two files: One in english, so instrumental only, and one with japanese lyrics.

Yeah I meant, with the way PC gaming is as a platform, it's not like they can prevent that second file from being widely distributed and applied with a simple file rename.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm hoping for Steam controller support. I got this downloading at the moment. I've never truly enjoyed a Tales game from beginning to end and I've tried, really I have.

I'm hoping this might be the one.

Peff

Yeah I meant, with the way PC gaming is as a platform, it's not like they can prevent that second file from being widely distributed and applied with a simple file rename.

Sure, but going "whoopsie!" and removing the JPN file while forcing everyone to redownload the English opening would cover their bases legally. To the players, even to those who haven't backed it up, it's just a minor annoyance but it's not unlikely to happen.

Stuart444

Sure, but going "whoopsie!" and removing the JPN file while forcing everyone to redownload the English opening would cover their bases legally. To the players, even to those who haven't backed it up, it's just a minor annoyance but it's not unlikely to happen.

Pretty much. Covers their legal bases and reminds them to be careful next time (assuming they need to do something like change the op next time though hopefully that won't be the case)

Quick question, if I bought this on PS4, am I allowed to preload? I don't see an option...

I thought you weren't getting it right away?

Also if you can't download it or anything then I guess you can't pre-load? (on NA anyway, EU could I believe. it's usually the other way around lol)

koutoru

Just downloaded RAD video tools to test it out.

Yup, they left the JP op in. haha.
So literally all we have to do is switch the names of the files so that the game references the JP opening instead of the English one.
At least, that worked for me while I was playing around with RAD in other games.

Nyoro SF

People should be complementing QLOC/Namco for being kind enough to wink wink nudge nudge and let you mod the original OP back in if you care enough.

It will not be the first or last time a company shows kindness by turning the other way when it comes to something like this.

Of course, it could have just been an accident, but I like to have just a tiny bit of faith in the people working on these projects. :p

RPGCrazied

Can't wait to watch Dawn of the Shepard. Be watching that first for sure and then see how it plays out in game. I know its like the prologue part.

adz2ka

Pretty happy with the port. Despite the 30 fps lock, game runs flawlessly even downsampled from 4k. Also, the fast loading times are erasing the bad memories I had of Tales of the Abyss. As for the game itself, and after 1 hour of gameplay, my opinion on the equipment/skill system is:

[/QUOTE]

Just imagine you're playing bingo

Bladenic

Can't wait to watch Dawn of the Shepard. Be watching that first for sure and then see how it plays out in game. I know its like the prologue part.

I remember really liking it. Also beautiful. Haven't played the game yet obviously (TOMORROW) but I'm looking forward to the anime (I think it may just be an adaptation? Or is it a sequel?).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Pretty much. Covers their legal bases and reminds them to be careful next time (assuming they need to do something like change the op next time though hopefully that won't be the case)

I thought you weren't getting it right away?

Also if you can't download it or anything then I guess you can't pre-load? (on NA anyway, EU could I believe. it's usually the other way around lol)

Fuck me. *sigh* Welp.

I was getting it right away. Tales threads usually die pretty quickly after release so the best time to play is now. Let's see if my opinion changes. it's been about 9 months.

RPGCrazied

I remember really liking it. Also beautiful. Haven't played the game yet obviously (TOMORROW) but I'm looking forward to the anime (I think it may just be an adaptation? Or is it a sequel?).

Someone said its the prologue from the game, the starting scenes I guess.

Top Bottom