• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Burbeting

Banned
Seven hours in the game, and starting to regret playing this with English VA. They aren't really bad, but... kinda mediocore. They all seem to be trying, but it all falls kinda flat for reasons I can't really describe.

Right now I'm
in the plagued city, Marlinda, I think..? Defeated the drake and asked the mercenaries to help my cause.
The plot still feels like it hasn't really started completely, so I'd say Zestiria has pretty slow beginning. The game is alright, I do think that Xillia 1 was better than what Zestiria has shown me for now.

Durante

Personally, I feel like the more "anime" a setting and characters are, the less dubbing works. And Tales is really very anime.

E.g. perhaps my favourite dub of a JRPG (and one of the very few I'd choose over the original) is FFXII's, and that game is pretty close to European fantasy in terms of setting and characters, at least compared to Tales.

Buburibon

Seven hours in the game, and starting to regret playing this with English VA. They aren't really bad, but... kinda mediocore. They all seem to be trying, but it all falls kinda flat for reasons I can't really describe.

That's pretty funny. My Japanese wife says we should've probably started it with English VA since the Japanese VA turned out to be "awful", and "embarrassing" to her ears.

Paltheos

Personally, I feel like the more "anime" a setting and characters are, the less dubbing works. And Tales is really very anime.

E.g. perhaps my favourite dub of a JRPG (and one of the very few I'd choose over the original) is FFXII's, and that game is pretty close to European fantasy in terms of setting and characters, at least compared to Tales.

Nah, I don't think that's it. Vesperia's anime and I like its dub. I think it has more to do with scripting. If the material's bad there's only so much you can do, and performances aren't always the reason dubs don't work.

FireCloud

Oh my! ToZ releases today?! I was meaning to finish ToX2 but didn't get around to it. I know what will happen. I'll go pick up ToZ after work and start playing it.....poor ToX2 will probably never get finished.

Same thing happened with WKC 2, got distracted and never went back to it....not as big of a loss as I wasn't as into WKC 2 as I was WKC (which I enjoyed.....don't judge me!)

Rhapsody

Banned
Yeah it takes more "points" as the title levels.

I think the way it works with artes is titles can potentially offer different artes, but you learn the arte through normal level gains. So you pick the title based on what you're trying to learn when you level up.

I see. I guess it hasn't branched out yet. 4-5 different titles have the same arte listed, which really confused me.

Falk

that puzzling face
That's pretty funny. My Japanese wife says we should've probably started it with English VA since the Japanese VA turned out to be "awful", and "embarrassing" to her ears.

SOMETIMES

SOMETIMES IT'S BETTER NOT TO KNOW

(Japanese VA didn't bug me)

Kasumin

Makes sense. I figure it's a matter of hearing the dialogue in your native language that can make it seem embarrassing. It's why I roll my eyes whenever people claim a good dub is terrible.

Stuart444

It's all a matter of perspective. Not the first time I've heard English people saying the EN VA is bad/JP VA is good while native Japanese saying vice versa.

All a matter of perspective :)

Burbeting

Banned

Well the dubbing in Xillia didn't really bother me at all (apart from few characters like Elize and Teepo). Also don't know about the quality of japanese dub, haven't really listened to it.

Durante

Makes sense. I figure it's a matter of hearing the dialogue in your native language that can make it seem embarrassing. It's why I roll my eyes whenever people claim a good dub is terrible.
I see this argument often, but since English is not my native language I'll happily continue calling most English dubs of JRPGs terrible :p

kadotsu

Banned
It's all a matter of perspective. Not the first time I've heard English people saying the EN VA is bad/JP VA is good while native Japanese saying vice versa.

All a matter of perspective :)

It's only discussed so vehemently because certain companies (especially the ones with shit voice direction that haven't a European arm) refuse dual audio. If it was just an expected feature everyone would just stick with their preference.

Buburibon

SOMETIMES

SOMETIMES IT'S BETTER NOT TO KNOW

(Japanese VA didn't bug me)

Yeah, I hear you. I speak Japanese but I'm no native speaker, so it all sounded okay to me. She says both the acting itself, and some of the "phrasing" sounds off to her. Now, I wonder how bad the English VA is. I guess I'll have to check it out tonight.

I see this argument often, but since English is not my native language I'll happily continue calling most English dubs of JRPGs terrible :p

Your English is better-than-native, though. Your written English certainly is. ;-)

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm playing it in English first time through since I plan on switching it on future playthroughs (or post game).
I feel like voice directing kinda just feels off in Tales ever since they went with motion capture.

On that topic, Tales is usually fine for be on JP or ENG audio. Out of all of them, I probably wished for dual audio on Graces most since I really liked the JP cast for that one.

Knurek

Well, you've lived your whole life with terrible German dubs, haven't you (unless Austria is different than actual Germany in that regard), I'd say you're immune to bad Japanese ones.

Looking forward to that (PC Gamer?) article.

kiryogi

Banned
Well the dubbing in Xillia didn't really bother me at all (apart from few characters like Elize and Teepo). Also don't know about the quality of japanese dub, haven't really listened to it.
Xillia JP had Miyuki Sawashiro! And Tomokazu Sugita.

While on the dub, I've been enjoying it for the most part, but it gets awkward sometimes during some cutscenes in transition. That or Sorey is an awkward person (but no this applies to the rest of the cast too) I like it otherwise though. May do 2nd playthru in JP for Ai Kayano

artsi

I don't really hate English dubs or anything, but as I have went through the hoops to learn Japanese I'll usually just default to the original language when it's available.

Neither of those languages is my own anyway.

Rhapsody

Banned
When I switch to JP audio, all I'm going to hear from Lailah is Anna's voice from Shimoneta. Not sure if I'm ready for that. lol

Durante

No

no

see what i've become

and quake in fear

save yourself
image.php

Don't do it! It'll break any challenge the game has, which is already on the easier side.

I did buy it, but I'll only ever use the stuff gradually as I hit tough spots. I did that in past games with the Level up +5 / +10 packs and all the other stuff.

After seeing how much was in that $12 DLC pack, I feel a bit dirty, but I'm glad they bundled it all together instead of selling it separately like in the past. Honestly, I've played so many JRPGs in my life that large amounts of level grinding wear on my soul these days.

Still waiting for my CE to ship from Bandai Namco. WTF?!?!

I am also, I am wondering why it wasn't shipped prior to the release date to receive it on release date. I am kind of sad. It is almost evening and I have yet to receive a ship confirmation from Namco Bandai Store. I think this is the last time I order from them.
Also, seems weird that they did not use my Prime membership being i logged in using my Amazon account.

Falk

that puzzling face
Suddenly a great weight is taken off my shoulders.

I'd go so far as to say I feel like I've just taken a really large poo after a week of constipation.

Falk

that puzzling face
You don't know what it's like

You don't know what it's like walking around in GAF Tales threads, with the knowledge that I $15'd for Xillia 2 platinum. The other posters. The mods. I can feel their sideways glances. The nonstop accusation all-but verbalized with every sharp glare. My hackles are constantly raised. I expect a knife in my back every time I so much as look down.

You don't know what it's like to live a GAF existence full of regret.

You have lifted that terrible burden from me. Now everyone can stare at you instead. Including myself. I'm so glad you exist, my friend!

Kasumin

You don't know what it's like walking around in GAF Tales threads, with the knowledge that I $15'd for Xillia 2 platinum. The other posters. The mods. I can feel their sideways glances. The nonstop accusation all-but verbalized with every sharp glare. My hackles are constantly raised. I expect a knife in my back every time I so much as look down.

You have lifted that terrible burden from me. Now everyone can stare at you instead. Including myself. I'm so glad you exist, my friend!

This post made my day. Hahahaha.

I'm glad that you were able to get that off your chest, Falk...?

Don't feel bad about doing that for Xillia 2. The main game and even the achievements were full of padding. Xillia 1 only required 150 uses of character support abilities for their respective trophies. Xillia 2 tripled that to 450 for no good reason. With 3 more characters than the first Xillia! Such a waste of the player's time.

chrono01

I did buy it, but I'll only ever use the stuff gradually as I hit tough spots. I did that in past games with the Level up +5 / +10 packs and all the other stuff.

After seeing how much was in that $12 DLC pack, I feel a bit dirty, but I'm glad they bundled it all together instead of selling it separately like in the past. Honestly, I've played so many JRPGs in my life that large amounts of level grinding wear on my soul these days.
That impulse purchase, haha. Yeah, as long as you use it in moderation, it shouldn't be too bad. Just don't go all-out with em'.

Enjoy!

Falk

that puzzling face
Don't feel bad about doing that for Xillia 2. The main game and even the achievements were full of padding. Xillia 1 only required 150 uses of character support abilities for their respective trophies. Xillia 2 tripled that to 450 for no good reason. With 3 more characters than the first Xillia! Such a waste of the player's time.

Ehhh, to put it in context I've done far worse, far more monotonous grinds many, many times. It was just kind of a gotta-get-this-done-before-crunch situation and not one I'd repeat in hindsight. The very definition of an impulse buy.

But enough about Xillia 2!

You should feel bad for paying money when you could have just cheated for free by editing your save.

Tabasco

I've never played any Tales game before, and I started playing this one yesterday for a little more than half an hour.

I'm not super attached to the style of the game, but the combat is at least decent.

Something in my mind tells me that I don't really like the game, but I'm wondering how much longer I should play to make an informed decision on whether or not I'm going to like the rest of the game.

Ascenion

So just cracked into the CE (beautiful by the way) and my CE code doesn't work. It keeps saying it's not valid, or has been used......I'm getting pissed.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I've never played any Tales game before, and I started playing this one yesterday for a little more than half an hour.

I'm not super attached to the style of the game, but the combat is at least decent.

Something in my mind tells me that I don't really like the game, but I'm wondering how much longer I should play to make an informed decision on whether or not I'm going to like the rest of the game.

I say go in a bit more. There's a lot more to the combat system and game you haven't learned yet. The game sort of leans you into things slowly, I say see where it goes and see where it is a bit further in.

I say this as my first Tales of game, Symphonia, I had a similar feeling at the start, but it got much better when I got a bit deeper in and things start clicking, both with all the gameplay mechanics and the story.

Top Bottom