• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

taco543

Amazon just emailed me saying my CE should be here Friday. Looks like I'm going to have to shop around see if any store has any extras.

Loving the game so far. The cast is fantastic. They're all very likeable, Sorey is a great protagonist.

Music is amazing too. I originally thought the Go Shiina tracks were the only ones that were going to stand out, but I'm glad I was wrong. Sakuraba did great in this soundtrack, loving the field themes a lot.

Really solid port too. Managed to backup the jpn intro as well. Had tearing issues with Vsync on but they went away after restarting the game.

On PC, I hear a lot of popping and crackling in the audio. I thought my headphones got messed up while playing. I fired up Spotify and everything sounds normal.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Falk

that puzzling face
On PC, I hear a lot of popping and crackling in the audio. I thought my headphones got messed up while playing. I fired up Spotify and everything sounds normal.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Control Panel -> Sound

Find your device, right click -> Properties -> Advanced

Make sure your device is set to 48k for shared mode.

Depending on your device's driver, you may also need to go to "supported formats" and uncheck everything but 48k to force your device to only use 48k for the time being.

(This should be simple enough to patch, so here's hoping it's done in good time)

Durante

I must have the same audio settings as the Zestiria dev team (48kHz, 5.1). Never had any issues, and it's interesting to read that the game might go as far as crashing with the wrong audio setup.

Falk

that puzzling face
Lest we forget, Valkyria Chronicles had that issue where certain UI SFX would simply play faster or slower at the incorrect sample rate ;p

That was patched pretty fast though.

Shouta

Man these tutorials are bad, I have no fucking clue as to how the equip skill system works.

It's kind of a garbo system anyway, lol.

If I recall, the skill system works by equipping pieces with various skills and then either matching them up by putting them in rows or columns or by equipping multiple versions of one skill. If you manage to match these up, you'll gain various bonus effects in addition to the effect of the skill on your armor. For example, I believe if you fill equip all of the tier 1 abilities (the left column) you gain a minor bonus to all stats.

Ketkat

Man these tutorials are bad, I have no fucking clue as to how the equip skill system works.

Its actually pretty simple if I'm understanding it right. You have skills on equipment, skills fill in their corresponding spot on the skill tree. If you make a line going up, or to the side, (I dunno about diagonals yet) you'll get a unique unison bonus which I believe will change depending on how long the line is (maybe just its effectiveness). If you have multiple of the same skill on your equipment, you're creating a stack of them which will increase the effectiveness of the skill.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's kind of a garbo system anyway, lol.

If I recall, the skill system works by equipping pieces with various skills and then either matching them up by putting them in rows or columns or by equipping multiple versions of one skill. If you manage to match these up, you'll gain various bonus effects in addition to the effect of the skill on your armor. For example, I believe if you fill equip all of the tier 1 abilities (the left column) you gain a minor bonus to all stats.

Yeah but that means you'll be avoiding upgrading to 'better' equipment for fear of losing the small buffs ..

TheTrain

The mouse is a bit off, that's the major complaint I've to do aside the 30FPS thing.
Gedosato works like a charm, I cannot thank you enough Durante for this amazing tool.
2 hours in, the OST is amazing

When is a good time to start the Alisha DLC, storywise? Just started and wondering whether to just save it till after the main game, or sometime in the middle?

Shouta

Yeah but that means you'll be avoiding upgrading to 'better' equipment for fear of losing the small buffs ..

Yeah, that's a concern. Eventually, some of the abilities are better than some of the smaller buffs but it was a headache early on. It's a really bad system within a real mechanic to let you customize gear in a simple manner.

When is a good time to start the Alisha DLC, storywise? Just started and wondering whether to just save it till after the main game, or sometime in the middle?

After the main game.

I understand the licensing issue, but it's really stupid that you can't take screenshots on this game on PS4.

I'm still leaning towards buying this game though.

Rhapsody

Banned
Is it safe to assume the higher proficiency level you are on a title, the longer it takes to level up?
I've recently been switching titles just so I can learn new attacks (supposedly) faster. Don't care about the stat bonuses right now.

PKrockin

Just started it and played it all night. I'm surprised to say the least. The story, characters, cutscene direction/animation, and music are way better than I expected, and I'm enjoying the more simple adventure-y tone after a couple games with a lot of drama, but I'm not really feeling the battles due to 30fps, lackluster effects/sounds, and a few design decisions. The camera also hasn't proven to be a real problem for me yet. There were a handful of battles where I had to move to get the camera zoomed back out but it was a matter of sidestepping once or twice. Only once did I feel like it impacted my ability to fight beyond that.

This is crazy. With a "naive, sheltered protagonist" and "Tales of Graces-inspired combat" I was not expecting to end up playing this game more interested in the story and characters than the gameplay. That's not how this series is supposed to work. lol

Control Panel -> Sound

Find your device, right click -> Properties -> Advanced

Make sure your device is set to 48k for shared mode.

Depending on your device's driver, you may also need to go to "supported formats" and uncheck everything but 48k to force your device to only use 48k for the time being.

(This should be simple enough to patch, so here's hoping it's done in good time)

This fixed it. Thanks for the help.

kewlmyc

The game is alright now, even though I thoroughly hate the camera so far. It's way too close. The combat reminds me of Graces, but somehow more sloppy due to the camera feeling that it needs to bee all up in your face due to no real battle arenas. I rather have battle arenas honestly, though I appreciate them trying new things.

Still liking the game, can't wait to get home and play more.

I just got my physical PS4 copy and I'm not noticing a mandatory install? The game just started up after installing the update. The game might be installing in the background, but I'm not finding any notifications about it.

I don't have too many PS4 games at the moment but so far all of them required at least a partial installation before I could start playing.

I just got my physical PS4 copy and I'm not noticing a mandatory install? The game just started up after installing the update. The game might be installing in the background, but I'm not finding any notifications about it.

I don't have too many PS4 games at the moment but so far all of them required at least a partial installation before I could start playing.

All PS4 games install completely onto the hard drive. It's likely that between the time you inserted the disc and started playing, it installed enough to start the game.

What happens if I sell the Royal Knife to Rose for 1000 Gald? I have no Gald right now so having 1000 would probably be nice

giphy.gif

Seriously though, I'd recommend against it. It's a key-item used to open up some doors, and there's an extra cutscene involving it. Though I don't know what exactly changes in the event you sell it, because I decided to reload after selling it since I sensed it was a Wrong choice.

Just sell it, don't worry about it.

She'll give it back to you later.

Wait, SERIOUSLY?

At least I got my
cowboy hat

RPGCrazied

All PS4 games install completely onto the hard drive. It's likely that between the time you inserted the disc and started playing, it installed enough to start the game.

Yeah, its not even 12GB, that probably installs very fast. Even 40gig games don't take that long to install. Its under 20 seconds.

vareon

2 hours in, just got the brand new shiny robe thing. Loved it. Loved the characters and glad to see that Mikleo isn't as annoying as I thought he would be.

Battle system is still growing on me....not much battles in the first two hours anyway. They throw a whole lot of systems in the first tutorial with not much chance to experiment each one.

The field music is so grand that I'm humming it already. The English voice is nice, I'll try JP voice tomorrow.

Overall, glad I bought this on launch day.

I've read further on some stuff, and even more reason not to
sell the knife.

If you
sell the knife
, you won't be able to
sell the pipe
later, which locks you out of getting the
cowboy hat

I take my wild west apparel very seriously.

Has anyone gotten this to work with NVIDIA Shield or Moonlight streaming for Android yet? The game detects the controller, the D-Pad and analog sticks work, but none of the buttons do.

Yeah, its not even 12GB, that probably installs very fast. Even 40gig games don't take that long to install. Its under 20 seconds.

For some reason I thought it would take a lot longer. I remember GTAV taking a while to install.

squadr0n

is the frame rate locked on PC also? I get some real slowdown whenever I start running but then it like catches up and is fine. It's really jarring, is anyone else noticing this on PC or PS4?

Dr Dogg

Oh christ I've just gone into the menu to see what piece of equipment I picked up was and now I'm being bombarded with tutorials for stuff I have no idea what they're for. I feel like I should be taking notes.

artsi

Oh christ I've just gone into the menu to see what piece of equipment I picked up was and now I'm being bombarded with tutorials for stuff I have no idea what they're for. I feel like I should be taking notes.

Well most of it is just obvious stuff you can figure out in a minute, and you can read the tutorials later from the library if you feel the need to.

kaioshade

is the frame rate locked on PC also? I get some real slowdown whenever I start running but then it like catches up and is fine. It's really jarring, is anyone else noticing this on PC or PS4?

Frame rate is indeed locked to 30 on the PC. Aside from some Vsync oddities, it runs really well, no slowdowns or hitches.

Moonlight

Banned
giphy.gif

Seriously though, I'd recommend against it. It's a key-item used to open up some doors, and there's an extra cutscene involving it. Though I don't know what exactly changes in the event you sell it, because I decided to reload after selling it since I sensed it was a Wrong choice.
You get it back.

Rpgmonkey

Is it safe to assume the higher proficiency level you are on a title, the longer it takes to level up?
I've recently been switching titles just so I can learn new attacks (supposedly) faster. Don't care about the stat bonuses right now.

Yeah it takes more "points" as the title levels.

I think the way it works with artes is titles can potentially offer different artes, but you learn the arte through normal level gains. So you pick the title based on what you're trying to learn when you level up.

Dantero

Someone tell me there aren't a lot of indoor battles in this game. Please.
Holy shit, the camera...
Other than that and the 30 fps, I'm having a blast.

Buburibon

Played around with it for about one hour on PC. I liked what I played in spite of the 30fps cap. Running 4K native and my Titan X doesn't even come out of "power saving mode." Now, I don't know if I'll ever get to actually play it, but I'm happy with my purchase anyway. It's always a pleasure to show support for the (PC) platform. :)

Stuart444

For all you know geometry between you and characters/enemies was supposed to turn transparent, but didn't due to a bug.

A bug that might not have been fixed for PS4

!!!

Pretty sure that's not the case. Think Baba-san even did an interview a while back about the camera and said how it was hard to handle but they did their best or something like that.

If they had considered it a bug after all the complaints, they would have had it fixed. Obviously not the case :p

It's a feature!

Dantero

They should have added a minimum distance to the camera's target. Or let it move through objects and turn them transparent. Or both.
Having my whole screen filled with centipede butt does not help me in any way.
If I was playing on a lower difficulty it wouldn't be too much of a problem, but when I die in a couple of hits it does annoy me.

Granjinha

I actually opened the game and it defaulted at 4K (with DSR) lol

Nice port. I have no idea how this equip system (with the bonus and all that) works but i'm liking it. Gonna play it more a bit later.

Bladenic

I must be getting Punk'd. Got a notification of attempted delivery even though I was sitting on the couch 5 feet away from the door. I had the TV on but no way was it loud enough to obscure a hard knock on the door. No notice left either so they're gonna try tomorrow when I'm gone from morning to afternoon.

Top Bottom