• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

PKrockin

Does it matter which item you sell though?
Sell the pipe
when trying to get into the sword-pulling event to get an attachment. I don't know if you can get this attachment by some other method. However you'll have to burn some of your own money later on to progress through another story event.

edit: oh, someone just said this. lol

Taruranto

Behold! The Heroine!

pr7E9Na.jpg

Dugna

at
the plant boss in Bor's Ruins and the stupid AI of Tales rears its ugly head again for this game, hey AI DODGE FOR ONCE!
other then in that spoiler i've been having a great time in the game.

PKrockin

Is this game hard to platinum? How many playthroughs and missables?

I have Hearts too on Vita. Which should I play first?
Tales games have standalone stories not particularly connected to other games in the series. Xillia 2 and Symphonia: DotNW aside. Hearts has a more accessible and easier to understand battle system and better sub-systems but so far I would say Zestiria is better.

RPGCrazied

Man, putting those chibi figures is a pain in the ass, they barely hold onto their weapons. Tempted to super glue them on, maybe later tho I finally got them up.

Now time to watch Dawn of the Shepard.

Ketkat

at
the plant boss in Bor's Ruins and the stupid AI of Tales rears its ugly head again for this game, hey AI DODGE FOR ONCE!

Be sure to use the commands to tell them to be defensive

PKrockin

at
That boss gave me a hard time until I tried armonizing with Edna immediately and taking out all the little guys first while commanding my allies to defend.

I LOVE the double voice artes shouts in armatize mode, especially if Sorey fuses with a female seraph.
It's cool and so JRPG.
I was about to mention this. It's a little thing but to me it makes the link artes in Xillia and armatized attacks in this game so much cooler.

OPEN THE FLOODGATES!
AZURE ASSAULT!
ELIXIR VITAE!

Almost makes me want to say it in sync with them too. lol

The story is surprisingly pulling me in, but the bad camera and HUGE boring environments almost makes me want to stop playing it. It's only been two hours so far, so it should get better.

Falk

that puzzling face
The camera doesn't get better, the open environments barely do.

(Story does though. As far as I'm concerned at least)

Corpekata

Banned
I thought I would hate Sorey but he's kind of endearing in his...slowness. And he has Mikleo to nicely balance him out when he goes too typical Naive Dreamer anime hero on the plot.

Rpgmonkey

Strongest Tales field theme in a long time imo

feels like they really went all out to make this the next big jump in Tales games
and had the same budget as the last games so they had to skimp on properly making a battle camera and good subsystems

Super strong game so far though.

I don't have a ton of love for the Tales soundtracks released within the last...decade or so, but I genuinely like Zestiria's OST quite a bit. The composers involved mostly created some good tracks.

Overall Tales music has actually been on the upswing since Xillia, so I hope Sakuraba and anyone else they bring in as co-composer(s) can match or top this for Berseria.

I LOVE the double voice artes shouts in armatize mode, especially if Sorey fuses with a female seraph.
It's cool and so JRPG.

IT'S MORPHIN TIME

I'm kidding

I'm very early in the game...but I like Lailah and always laugh when she tries to "play dumb" and not give them any info

(I also got the original opening cinematic on PC now...had to find the file and replace the instrumental one)

Droplet

I'm going to tag this just in case, but
so far I have not gotten Gramps' pip back - you do get a cowboy hat attachment, though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That...sounds worth it. I imagine
the knife might be the only one you get back considering you actually need it.

Probably won't get to play again for the next couple days, but I think the thread has mostly touched up on the weird things I found in the game - the weird stop-motion animations on far away enemies, the dub voice acting sounding like they're not even talking to each other (it's gotten better, from what I can tell), and the fuuuucking terrible battle camera when you get stuck in a corner. The Shiina tracks are also pretty great when they show up. I wish Sakuraba could have gotten some more freedom in his tracks, but it's not like they're offensively generic either.

Some graphics things I'm wondering about: the grass textures kind of seem like they're moving or sparkling or something when I'm moving around. Also, everyone's faces in zoom kind of seem like they've got some kind of white glow coming from it (not really sure how to describe this, it's some kind of transparent edge I guess? Maybe I could screencap it at some point, I can't see it on any of the screenshots online). Can someone explain these?

MegaPanda

Anyone on PC running into funky things with the "New Save" option during saving?

It always saves the most recent state in the second slot, and there were also times where I would quit out of the game, load it back it and found myself 2 saves behind in progress

Anyone on PC running into funky things with the "New Save" option during saving?

It always saves the most recent state in the second slot, and there were also times where I would quit out of the game, load it back it and found myself 2 saves behind in progress
Yeah, there's some weirdness with displaying over a certain amount of saves. You can only scroll back so far, yet the save listed in the first slot will be your oldest save (which you can't scroll down to otherwise once you go over that limit).

It's odd.

That boss gave me a hard time until I tried armonizing with Edna immediately and taking out all the little guys first while commanding my allies to defend.

I was about to mention this. It's a little thing but to me it makes the link artes in Xillia and armatized attacks in this game so much cooler.

OPEN THE FLOODGATES!
AZURE ASSAULT!
ELIXIR VITAE!

Almost makes me want to say it in sync with them too. lol

IT'S MORPHIN TIME

I'm kidding

I'm very early in the game...but I like Lailah and always laugh when she tries to "play dumb" and not give them any info

(I also got the original opening cinematic on PC now...had to find the file and replace the instrumental one)

Lol yeah, kinda similar to Xilia link artes, and that's why I'm loving it in Zestiria.

Lailah is a good character, she's wise and silly at the same time. Alisha is your regular sweet JRPG heroine. I haven't met Edna though, I heard she's kinda the best character in this game.

Yeah, save slots are kinda messed up. I always get 2 same save slots after saving. And I have several quick save slots right now.

Bladenic

So I should sell the knife then? If you get it back right away. Also just noticed I have 0 gald, how the heck do you earn money in this game?

Kensuke

For people worried about having sold the pipe:
I bought it back for 5000 gold in Latonbell. The NPC that sells it back to you is highlighted in the map. He's not there the first time you get there, I only saw him when I came back to the town later.

Persona7

Banned
Man, putting those chibi figures is a pain in the ass, they barely hold onto their weapons. Tempted to super glue them on, maybe later tho I finally got them up.

Now time to watch Dawn of the Shepard.

I gave up after a few minutes and just threw the pieces back in the box...lol

malfcn

Oh BBY.

"It was out of stock when you ordered. Your order is estimated to arrive in 2-4 weeks."

What kind of jack shit is that?

Got my Amazon copy today!
When White Light started playing I got super excited. I can already tell this is gonna be one of my favorite Tales games despite the flaws.

kewlmyc

13 hours in, and I still have mixed feelings. Any fight that takes place inside a corridor is a unfun clusterfuck. The actual combat is kinda clunky feeling. The skill system is very confusing, the most confusing skill/leveling system I've seen in a Tales game. It's like they took the combat and leveling system from Graces and decided to make them worse. The story and characters are just okay, they're not offensive, yet no one other than Edna feels memorable. Hopefully it gets better the game is starting to feel like a drag.

Bladenic

Is it me or is there a notable absence of skits? I mean, after all the events that just happened, I still haven't had any triggered any skits at save points.

PKrockin

Is it me or is there a notable absence of skits? I mean, after all the events that just happened, I still haven't had any triggered any skits at save points.
I'm getting a new skit at a save point after practically every other story cutscene. Also, staying at inns often triggers one.

Absolutely perfect.
Right click -> Save As -> teamfortress2.jpg

I thought Vesperia's was much, much better than Graces, Xillia and Xillia 2.

From what I've heard from Zestiria though, it's a huge step up from all of these!
I agree with this. And speaking of music I was really pumped to hear a remix of
the Giganto theme from Vesperia
, I love that song.

You have to buy it back later if you want some optional cutscenes, or so I hear. Depends on what the cowboy hat is worth to you? :p

For people worried about having sold the pipe:
I bought it back for 5000 gold in Latonbell. The NPC that sells it back to you is highlighted in the map. He's not there the first time you get there, I only saw him when I came back to the town later.

Wow. If only I knew that before. At least there's a way to get the
pipe
back.

Ugh, I hope I knew that before too.
Well, at least I can still get it later though.

I'm getting a new skit at a save point after practically every other story cutscene. Also, staying at inns often triggers one.

Yeah, most skits can only be triggered at save points or after certain cutscenes.

Corpekata

Banned
I'm finding the amount of skits to be just right so far. Some games go way overboard with them happening every few feet it seems like.

Top Bottom