• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

How does this game stack up so far? I'm debating if I wanna get it or not, because I don't have a lot of experience with the Tales series. I always feel like an oddball, because most people seem to hate the story and characters in Tales of Graces f, and that's the only one I've played through, and I loved it.

Yep, the skits are just perfect in this game.

How does this game stack up so far? I'm debating if I wanna get it or not, because I don't have a lot of experience with the Tales series. I always feel like an oddball, because most people seem to hate the story and characters in Tales of Graces f, and that's the only one I've played through, and I loved it.

Reviews are mixed with 74 metacritic score, but overall it's your average Tales of games. Users reviews are much better (on PC, at least), currently sitting at 92% positive on steam, and most PC users may have little experience with the Tales series as well.

Really dumb question, but figured I'd throw this out there, has anyone tried playing this on a Surface 3 the non pro variant? Would like to take my Pc copy on the go.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Alright, I'm not about 18-20 hours into the game. I will try to say where I am with as few spoilers as possible, but to barebones describe it,
met who may very well be the big baddie, and now in some ruins in a forest underground after pressing switches to open a big fancy ruin door
. I hear from a friend almost a third of the way in. Been taking my time, exploring, fighting most enemies I pass, playing on Combat Hard difficulty, and such things.

I won't write super long impressions, but I am rightfully in the game now. The last few locations have been a lot more interesting, the combat has clicked with me, and yet it's still adding new things into it every once in a while (just FINALLY learned how to do Mystic Artes). I actually like the characters in the game quite a bit, the story is not very complex but it's been interesting so far. This really does feel like a video game version of an epic fantasy anime, more so than the other Tales of games I've played.

There's a lot of small differences in the game that add-up to make it feel more different, from things like elemental stuff playing a much bigger role in this game than previous Tales of games, people with text bubbles over their heard to signify who has something to say, how the battle arenas aren't separate locations you shift to anymore and just are where you were standing when you made contact with the enemy, and a shit ton more. They don't reinvent the wheel, but they did change-up a lot and add emphasis on a lot of different areas . I am with others on the two big flaws, the battle camera gets wonky sometimes, and I'm not that fond of the new skills/equipment system set-up. But having some lowered expectations from importers, I'm actually continuing to enjoy this far more than I thought I would.

I am uncertain if I like or dislike the pacing of the game. I actually did not mind the slower prologue, I think the game handled it better than others I've played, but the game does a very slow job at building itself up is certain. Though the pay-off to this is that the game has gotten more and more interesting to me, even 20 hours in, rather than feeling it's caught in a rut at points or something. This will eventually wear down I know as it must, but it has gotten progressively more fun and interesting as they continue to add more to the game's systems, the story builds-up more, and the locations and such open-up a lot more.

I'm still not sure if I like it as much as Symphonia or Vesperia, I feel I don't as much in some ways but do more in other ways, but it feels a lot different to those than one might expect. I do like it more than the other two I've played, Dawn of the New World and Graces though, for personal preference. There's some things I think might annoy some people... The characters all crack a lot of jokes, from puns to references or cheesy humor at times, but I've found it all endearing, and actually am liking the characters more and more as the game has gone on. To see how it all goes on from here, but I will say it's a JRPG for me thus far.

Dusk Golem

I checked my email and had a 25% Voucher from GMG for this and a few other games, came out to $37.50. Not bad.

Was that still working for you? That's good, I knew I got an email about it a bit ago, went to check my code and it wasn't currently working, but happy it worked for you.

yami4ct

Finally unlocked Armitization today. I really dig it visually and love the concept of character fusion. I"m not too sure how much it adds to the actual battles, but I like the way it gives you more options like a dedicated heal (something I'm not used to since I typically stick to playing the main Tails dudes. Jude is the only one I can remember having a heal).

As a super mode, I dig it much more than the Chromatus stuff. I hated how that felt. Maybe I just never learned it, but it was too mashy and I didn't like losing the entire rest of my party. I also didn't think it was visually interesting. Loved the flexibility of the Xillia 2 battle system, but that was the weakest part for me.

Sarcasm

So...few questions.

Combat feels wonky as heck to me. Firstly you can't move around freely in the fighting circle.

Secondly, tapping a direction plus the guard button doesn't seem to always let me side step.

Now these herbs are perma stat increases, what happens when you level than?

**I guess there might be a free run button, what is it for controller?

aitakute

I really love the costume, accessory system in Tales game. They made serious cutscene become hilarious. People keep commenting about Sorey's legendary outfit but in the game, he's just wearing a swimming trunks. Also, accessory editing can also bring out some hilarious outcome

Dusk Golem

So...few questions.

Combat feels wonky as heck to me. Firstly you can't move around freely in the fighting circle.

Secondly, tapping a direction plus the guard button doesn't seem to always let me side step.

You can move freely by (on a controller) holding L-trigger, or whatever button it is set to on keyboard defaultly (I reset it to Left Shift). Also there's a skill you can unlock (under battle skills, which you get pretty early on) which will make it so that your always in free movement, unless you hold the earlier button to be locked to a plane like you normally are (costs 5 AP to equip, I believe).

The guard thing I sometimes have difficulty with too, but I found for quick-stepping you can actually just hold down the guard key and double-tap a direction and you'll quick-step that method too, which is far easier for me.

The herbs are perma-stat increases, leveling builds on your stats as well, but it increases stats by an amount, which will build also on herb perma-stat increases.

So...few questions.

Hold free move key to freely move around the battle field. The default key to move freely is caps lock which is ridiculous, bind it to ctrl or alt instead. There'll be an option to move freely in battles later.

Don't tap directional button then guard, tap it the other way around. Guard first, then move.

I still haven't use any of the herbs yet, so no idea for that one.

Dusk Golem

I really love the costume, accessory system in Tales game. They made serious cutscene become hilarious. People keep commenting about Sorey's legendary outfit but in the game, he's just wearing a swimming trunks. Also, accessory editing can also bring out some hilarious outcome

I feel upset I ONLY just learned about accessory editing close to the 20-hour mark in the game. I don't know if its been in previous Tales of games, but it's a hilarious/cool inclusion. First thing I did was make one of the characters a literal giant backpack with legs and giant sunglasses.

15D3CED7BE7BEFA5CBA14FCFB98DB37EA7CDD863

I feel upset I ONLY just learned about accessory editing close to the 20-hour mark in the game. I don't know if its been in previous Tales of games, but it's a hilarious/cool inclusion. First thing I did was make one of the characters a literal giant backpack with legs and giant sunglasses

Anyone else having trouble editing accessories on the PC? The control bindings for neither the M&K nor the controller work. Hitting LT or the DEL key doesn't work despite what the keybindings say, and I'm using all default controls.

Stuart444

Looks like I won't be playing Zesty (on PS4 at least) anytime soon.

Disc was marked and didn't work, I cleaned it, it worked (this was Fri/Sat), today, first time taking it out of the case since then, "Unsupported disc", cleaned it, same error.

Disc just isn't working now. Tried other games and they work with no issue so yeah. :/ major bummer. First game (from Amazon UK) that came with marks on it.

If I contact Amazon, they would probably ask for the whole product to be returned right? (as in the CE as well as the game since on the orders list, that is what the product is listed as and all)

if so, hopefully I can get Bamco to replace the disc since I want to keep the CE >_<

Dusk Golem

Anyone else having trouble editing accessories on the PC? The control bindings for neither the M&K nor the controller work. Hitting LT or the DEL key doesn't work despite what the keybindings say, and I'm using all default controls.

I modified some controls, but it works perfectly fine for me on PC I can say.

Yup, apparently the modding scene has begun in the game, sounds like some amusing things can be simply done, but it's fun to have all of this in the game itself and fairly easy to use. It does make me want to find more accessories, however.

aravuus

I'm still wearing his first outfit

Swear to god, it actually looks like legitimately good. It's simple, not over-designed and hell, I think it could even work in real life. We're talking about a JRPG, no, the most anime fucking JRPG ever, it's insane.

From where I'm at, Dezel. He's the right variety of brooding along with his design so he just kinda annoys me.

He might grow on me though since I just got him.

Yeah, I feel like they tried too hard to make him ~cool~. Maybe he'll get better later on.

Dusk Golem

Worst character so far?

I am not at a point to make a full opinion since, while I've met all the main characters, I haven't really gotten to know all of them yet. My initial opinion is Dezel, I'm not super big on his design and his personality front I've witnessed so far, but I also feel he could be a much better character than I know right now so I feel that's unfair to say on my part.

Actually, while in the other Tales of games I've played there was always one character in the party I disliked more than the others, so far in Zestiria there's no one I actively dislike. I like all of them well enough, and they all have been growing on me. I do have some favorites, but least favorites... I guess for me personally, out of characters I've come to know more fully, I'd have to say Mikleo&#8206;, but I don't even dislike him at all, hell I actually like him (he's not just okay or decent to me), just like him a bit less than the other characters to this point.

R0ckman

I am not at a point to make a full opinion since, while I've met all the main characters, I haven't really gotten to know all of them yet. My initial opinion is Dezel, I'm not super big on his design and his personality front I've witnessed so far, but I also feel he could be a much better character than I know right now so I feel that's unfair to say on my part.

Actually, while in the other Tales of games there was always one character in the party I disliked more than the others, so far in Zestiria there's no one I actively dislike. I like all of them well enough, and they all have been growing on me. I do have some favorites, but least favorites... I guess for me personally, out of characters I've come to know more fully, I'd have to say Mikleo&#8206;, but I don't even dislike him at all, hell I actually like him (he's not just okay or decent to me), just like him a bit less than the other characters to this point.

Weird on not liking Dezel's design, it's one of the best they've had in years. Even Inomata is running a little stale lately and I usually love her designs.

I do adore Rose, what the hell was all the rage about with Alisha? She was a horrible character, a less dumb estelle. Truly awful. I guess some Tales fans have truly gone insane.

Bladenic

Weird on not liking Dezel's design, it's one of the best they've had in years. Even Inomata is running a little stale lately and I usually love her designs.

I do adore Rose, what the hell was all the rage about with Alisha? She was a horrible character, a less dumb estelle. Truly awful. I guess some Tales fans have truly gone insane.

How so? I hate the hat/obscured eyes/monster teeth thing he has going on. The rest of his design is simply okay.

Two things about him I take issue with: His hat (which looks not bad but just doesn't seem to fit. Not sure why), and his filed down shark teeth. Those teeth just look dumb.

In general he screams 'designated brooder with a dark past and probably a few secrets'. But I guess there has to be at least one...

Moonlight

Banned

Estelle was great, though. Alisha's just boring.

Dusk Golem

It's all in personal tastes, I think I have a bias on his design since it reminds me of a BlazBlue character a friend of mine is super fangirl on and she probably sends me pics of him several times a month, so take that as personal bias, and tastes and all that.

The Alisha outrage I don't quite understand either, though I don't think she's awful personally. She's not a favorite, but I think she's a better princess character than some other Tales of entries.

---

I'll throw out there that I actually have come to really like Lailah, but then I'm a big fan of dumb jokes and puns, so she makes me laugh a lot. And I do like Edna as most do, and I actually think Sorey is higher on the scale of Tales of protagonists. Rose I'm just at the point of really getting to know but she's quickly growing on me.

Dice//

Banned

Estelle wasn't dumb in a conventional sense. She was super smart! Crazy smart! ...but only book smart (and super sheltered).

And yeah I don't get the rage for Alisha either. She's pretty, and creatively designed (besides her hair having even more sharp angles than any DBZ character), but she's a complete bore. What little of a schtick she's got doesn't really stick out at all.

Rose at least has a lot more back bone, and I loved her a lot more even moments after meeting her.

Estelle will still be the best pink princess.

EDIT:

omg my sides. xD

PKrockin

Estelle was actually sheltered. Alisha still plays the gullible sheltered princess despite traveling by herself often. Why? Because otaku consider those traits attractive in their anime waifus.

Alisha wasn't annoying, but I'm not broken up about her leaving the party.

I can't get used to pronouncing Lailah's name as they do, I kept pronouncing it as lay-la but they say lie-la.
I keep saying armonize instead of armatize, probably because the former has the added bonus of also sounding like "harmonize", which makes sense.

R0ckman

Two things about him I take issue with: His hat (which looks not bad but just doesn't seem to fit. Not sure why), and his filed down shark teeth. Those teeth just look dumb.

In general he screams 'designated brooder with a dark past and probably a few secrets'. But I guess there has to be at least one...

They typically do all their brooding characters relatively the same, he seems to be a younger character despite his past. He doesn't have the wise sage, prodigy add-on, so he isn't overlly quiet and gives his opinion when he feels like it. The attitude could be toned down I guess.

I guess Veigue from Tales of Rebirth would be kind of similar to him, only with the addition of a drive for revenge to fuel him due to his past.

Yeah, didn't mean I hated Estelle, but a less sheltered Estlle is boring. I think Alisha is boring unless she is with Edna. Edna is the only thing that can fix her.

The thing that pissed people off regarding Alisha was the way she was presented.
She was shown off very early in the promotional videos and teasers for the game alongside Sorey. They were the only two shown so it was assumed she would be the heroine of the game. Tales games often get figures made of them, but only the more popular/main characters get the best stuff. Jude and Milla, Vesperia characters besides Judith and Karol, Lloyd and Zelos and Collette, and so on. Sorey and Alisha were the pair to get figures (and this was before the game was even released!) so again, more evidence that they were the main pair.

Then, as the game's release got closer suddenly Alisha wasn't appearing in promo materials as much. Suddenly there were other females, namely Rose, who were being promoted more frequently. This made people worry. Then the game released and they found out what the deal was with Alisha and the perceived deceit caused the uproar.

Moonlight

Banned
Then, as the game's release got closer suddenly Alisha wasn't appearing in promo materials as much. Suddenly there were other females, namely Rose, who were being promoted more frequently. This made people worry. Then the game released and they found out what the deal was with Alisha and the perceived deceit caused the uproar.
This sounds very dumb. I'm actually rather glad the game promotes more interesting characters than Alisha.

Dice//

Banned
The thing that pissed people off regarding Alisha was the way she was presented.
She was shown off very early in the promotional videos and teasers for the game alongside Sorey. They were the only two shown so it was assumed she would be the heroine of the game. Tales games often get figures made of them, but only the more popular/main characters get the best stuff. Jude and Milla, Vesperia characters besides Judith and Karol, Lloyd and Zelos and Collette, and so on. Sorey and Alisha were the pair to get figures (and this was before the game was even released!) so again, more evidence that they were the main pair.

Even WITH promotional material 'information', I'd probably have reassessed my opinion of the 'supposed female lead' as vital to the plot when I found out what a bore she is.

PKrockin

^ To summarize that, people were mad, rather than relieved, when the character with boy shorts, drill hair, and a generic personality was not featured as prominently in the game as expected. lol

Am I really going to reset my computer, go into BIOS and disable my integrated graphics just to run this game because Nvidia control panel decided just today that it's not going to let me run the game with the dedicated graphics card at all anymore?

Plug and play PC gaming.

Besides the figures, I think it's also related to this poster.
They do look great together indeed. I think I understand early followers' feelings and disappointment.
As a character, Alisha is just boring though, I agree. But I love her outfit.

KainXVIII

So, i'm on PC, and i have some weird stuttering, like FPS drops, but fraps doesn't indicate that at all, its stay locked a 30 Fps!

What's up with this game? (GTX 980ti here, tried in 4k and 1080, same problem)

Noticed this myself, on any resolution and settings there is slight stutter when you turning camera, steam fps counter switches between 30 and 29 fps constantly (gtx 970).

Dice//

Banned
Whenever I see Alisha I just see Lady Driselle from Xillia for some odd reason.

She was usually my choice for the character costume duplicate thing. Great seeing her wield around Ludger's giant boom-hammer. :D

I really like her design too. It's sexy but still decently covered up. And she looks like a great big strawberry!

Top Bottom