• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

kewlmyc

Alisha is fine, it's just she is plain as hell. At least Rose has somewhat good chemistry with everyone. Alisha was just there and only really had somewhat good chemistry with Edna (which was mostly trolling on Edna's end) and Sorey (which was mostly just standard sexual tension).

Maybe she's different in the DLC, I haven't played it yet.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finished the main game thoroughly including the Hexen island dungeon.

The final cameo fight was sort of a let down after the second last dragon thing, but it was very fun none the less.

Also, the grade shop system in this game is completely fucked, you're getting grade points for new game+ depending on how much money and items you spent on the lord of the lands, not on actual performance only -_- Between that and needing to upgrade the stores separately, this game requires a fuck ton of Gald to complete everything.

It's a good thing all the levels and grade points carried over to Alisha's DLC though. Wouldn't want to grind all over again.

massoluk

Banned
Finally got through the water temple, a few trollish moments here and there, but I breezed through.
You guys have me worried there for no reason :|

Cornbread78

Man, why did I go looking that skit up on YouTube? Of course, it gives me a bunch of recommended links for the other Tales openings. I fogot how much I loved the openign for ToX and ToGf, both are excellent, especially Graces, I loved that opening...

I even watched the Tales of Innocence R and To Vesperia openings, which are bad teases because neither will probably come to NA on Sony systems... I

I have to stop, The secret of Bozangas!

https://youtu.be/xmKR_DziomM

https://youtu.be/ggFcFgDE4lI

Nothing like these in ToZ, yet. Actually, there haven't been many at all so far.

this game requires a fuck ton of Gald to complete everything.
You can farm gald easily once you're in post-game or at least close to it with high enough level.
Just spawn
a final form mimic in the highest difficulty you can manage to kill it, use all your shark bottles (I think it's drop bottle now)
and get rid of it.

Even better when you're in NG+ and have access to 30 or 99 item usage.

Alisha is fine, it's just she is plain as hell. At least Rose has somewhat good chemistry with everyone. Alisha was just there and only really had somewhat good chemistry with Edna (which was mostly trolling on Edna's end) and Sorey (which was mostly just standard sexual tension).

Maybe she's different in the DLC, I haven't played it yet.

That's already like half of the cast that Alisha had the opportunity to meet.

Rose had the advantage of meeting the whole crew and having 80% of the game with her in it to develop a relationship with.

Personally, I suspect Lailah is the cunning one playing everyone =p Getting Sorey to pick up and dump girls as if they were pokemons to suit her needs.

Alisha is really endearing, Estelle is a good comparison but I prefer Alisha's character design.

MAJOR SPOILERS DO NOT HIGHLIGHT BELOW

When Dezel leaves....

;-; Yeah, that part choked me up quite a bit...but then again a lot of parts in this game did. Dezel had finally grown on me and I was so happy to see him finally coming out of his shell with the cast and then he had to go and become a sacrifice. :(

Now that I'm not on mobile I'll post a few things about the ending and my views.

I cried so much when Sorey pushed Rose away from him. I did not like the ending very much. Sorey being alive made me happy but he was asleep for so long Rose and Alisha died and Mikleo was the only one who went around to ruins to keep Sorey's dream alive. I felt bad for Heldalf initially but after he killed Zenrus I threw all that sympathy out the window. He had his family taken away and yet he took away Sorey and Mikelo's family. Granted, I know he wanted to corrupt Sorey but you would think that he would not resort to such measures knowing well how that feels. He led a life of solitude for the most part and I think he truly wanted to be evil, even before becoming the Lord of Calamity. Can't sympathize with someone who ended up getting what he deserved. I do like long haired Mikleo. He was one of my top favorites from the cast this time around and it was nice to see him older, more mature.

Currently playing the DLC, I am hoping that the ending doesn't suck and it ties up a few questions I have about the cast post game that wasn't addressed in the ending to the main game.

Btw Question- I've now begun incorporating that skill that allows me to do chain another combo by using 1 BG. But now I've find myself using them up super fast.

Is there a faster way to build up BG other than the 2 seconds charge?

Also, I'm finding that some hidden artes don't combo into martial artes, like Sonic Thrust. Why is that?

Arkeus

Alisha is really endearing, Estelle is a good comparison but I prefer Alisha's character design.

Alisha is really, really boring... except her arc. But her arc is good because of the themes/story, not because she herself is interesting.

Also, wear some frikking pants.

Crevox

Btw Question- I've now begun incorporating that skill that allows me to do chain another combo by using 1 BG. But now I've find myself using them up super fast.

Is there a faster way to build up BG other than the 2 seconds charge?

Also, I'm finding that some hidden artes don't combo into martial artes, like Sonic Thrust. Why is that?

BG is built up faster through defensive actions than offensive actions. Quick evading, for example, builds it up very fast, with certain attacks giving you a full BG or more for doing so. Guarding works decently as well though.

The artes should "chain" together but maybe won't necessarily "combo" to maintain a hit count on the enemy. Just remember your combo limit (default is 4). I could be wrong though, I've only played Sorey twice (the two times you are forced to).

ys45

A friend of mine is about 20 hours into the game and keep complaining that the game is not clear about objectives and where you need to go and that is painful to progress .

My question is: is it that bad ? I know he always complain about every games and is very nit-picky so not sure if I should take his opinion on the game seriously .
I only played the game 2 hours (decided to finish DQ Heroes first)

R0ckman

;-; Yeah, that part choked me up quite a bit...but then again a lot of parts in this game did. Dezel had finally grown on me and I was so happy to see him finally coming out of his shell with the cast and then he had to go and become a sacrifice. :(

Now that I'm not on mobile I'll post a few things about the ending and my views.

I cried so much when Sorey pushed Rose away from him. I did not like the ending very much. Sorey being alive made me happy but he was asleep for so long Rose and Alisha died and Mikleo was the only one who went around to ruins to keep Sorey's dream alive. I felt bad for Heldalf initially but after he killed Zenrus I threw all that sympathy out the window. He had his family taken away and yet he took away Sorey and Mikelo's family. Granted, I know he wanted to corrupt Sorey but you would think that he would not resort to such measures knowing well how that feels. He led a life of solitude for the most part and I think he truly wanted to be evil, even before becoming the Lord of Calamity. Can't sympathize with someone who ended up getting what he deserved. I do like long haired Mikleo. He was one of my top favorites from the cast this time around and it was nice to see him older, more mature.

Currently playing the DLC, I am hoping that the ending doesn't suck and it ties up a few questions I have about the cast post game that wasn't addressed in the ending to the main game.

How could you have sympathy for him at all? He was the most selfish of all the characters in that conflict that started the Age of Calamity. As the general he also had the most responsibility of the parties involved. With great power comes great responsibility and a higher judgement. He got the heaviest judgement and it was fair compared to what he did. He didn't care about anything but his fame and comfort, when these left him, he threw a tantrum and embraced his villany. He is a horrible villain, one of the worst they have created, because its impossible to sympathize with him at all.

It feels like a lot of the villains were tacked on too, you have a very loose idea of their relationships with characters and things feel very impersonal. They don't have a true grudge against most of the cast, so I really just felt like I was cleaning up garbage when fighting these guys. They felt no more important to me than common overworld thugs. Antagonists all around has some jacked up writing.

Alisha is really, really boring... except her arc. But her arc is good because of the themes/story, not because she herself is interesting.

Also, wear some frikking pants.

Nah, she's just more well balanced. She has the right amount of personality in each area that she doesn't become overbearing in any. Like for example her idealism of chasing legends is balanced out by her realism of having to deal with the politics of her country. She has plenty of potential to develop.

Girl doesn't need pants yo.

BG is built up faster through defensive actions than offensive actions. Quick evading, for example, builds it up very fast, with certain attacks giving you a full BG or more for doing so. Guarding works decently as well though.

The artes should "chain" together but maybe won't necessarily "combo" to maintain a hit count on the enemy. Just remember your combo limit (default is 4). I could be wrong though, I've only played Sorey twice (the two times you are forced to).

No, combo as in I mean the martial artes wouldn't activate after using something like sonic thrust, and I'm pretty certain I've checked that I have the SC for it.

A friend of mine is about 20 hours into the game and keep complaining that the game is not clear about objectives and where you need to go and that is painful to progress .

My question is: is it that bad ? I know he always complain about every games and is very nit-picky so not sure if I should take his opinion on the game seriously .
I only played the game 2 hours (decided to finish DQ Heroes first)

No offence to your friend, but if you hold R1 you can see your objective spelled out right in front of you. In addition, a big yellow star would usually be marked on your map as well.

How could you have sympathy for him at all? He was the most selfish of all the characters in that conflict that started the Age of Calamity. As the general he also had the most responsibility of the parties involved. With great power comes great responsibility and a higher judgement. He got the heaviest judgement and it was fair compared to what he did. He didn't care about anything but his fame and comfort, when these left him, he threw a tantrum and embraced his villany. He is a horrible villain, one of the worst they have created, because its impossible to sympathize with him at all.
I felt sympathy for him due to the fact he had his family murdered. That was the only reason why I felt sympathy for him, getting your family murdered isn't exactly a good thing. They had nothing to do with his corruption.

Crevox

I never had any issues with knowing where to go.

1. Yellow star on the map.
2. Holding R1 tells you.
3. You can always speak to your party member who will tell you even further.
4. The game tells you through story beforehand.

R0ckman

I felt sympathy for him due to the fact he had his murdered. That was the only reason why I felt sympathy for him, getting your family murdered isn't exactly a good thing.

Eh, I guess maybe, the issue is that he left countless families to die rather than attempt to defend them, due to his own pride. When his family was killed instead of thinking about why this happened to him or his own actions, he victimized himself, attempted suicide and when that failed, he was like: "LORD OF CALAMITY TIME!"

Stuart444

Btw question for any who has finished the game. I'm just about to enter
Gododdin or whatever it's called after the cliffs?
How far through the story am I? Just curious so I can estimate how long I have til I complete it.

Still curious :) ^ About to start playing again and all.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I got an issue with something about Dezel (Spoilers)
After Dezel leaves he gets replaced so quickly that him dying didnt cause much impact as you pretty much get Zaveid doing the similar stuff quickly. Kinda takes off the value of his sacrifice IMO

massoluk

Banned

2. Holding R1 tells you.

Even with these hints , it's still kinda pain figuring out where to go. Go to Malory! What the fuck is Malory? Oh, you mean that place where if you're lucky you may have stumbled on a dozen maps ago?

Eh, I guess maybe, the issue is that he left countless families to die rather than attempt to defend them, due to his own pride. When his family was killed instead of thinking about why this happened to him or his own actions, he victimized himself, attempted suicide and when that failed, he was like: "LORD OF CALAMITY TIME!"
True, I get that and I definitely agree with you I just think that someone should have done more to try to stop him rather than kill his family. They had nothing to do with his corruption and I felt the people took out their anger with him by killing them. I'm not saying he's a misunderstood villain, I just think that killing his family for revenge on his wickedness was a low blow. The fact he used it against Sorey and Mikleo was even lower.

MSMrRound

Wait...so [Lastonbell sidequest spoiler]
if I ran out of town to engage the big wolf thingy, and it's feasting on the other wolf, that pretty much meant that the girl is dead? Welp. I didn't know about that. Was trying to run around town thinking the enemy was somewhere inside the area...do you get any bonus if she survive?

Stuart444

if I ran out of town to engage the big wolf thingy, and it's feasting on the other wolf, that pretty much meant that the girl is dead? Welp. I didn't know about that. Was trying to run around town thinking the enemy was somewhere inside the area...do you get any bonus if she survive?

That's what I gather. You probably need to be very quick for her to survive. (Like I said, someone I know said that she survived in his game). As for any bonus? Nah, just a different scene I assume. A happier one. That one is pretty dark ;_;

HiroTSK5

2. Holding R1 tells you.

For me at least, after the water dungeon I pretty much had no idea where to go because the objective was "restore spiritual power" or whatever it was and Rose had no idea where to go and there were no yellow stars on the map and nothing in the previous cut-scene did anything to indicate that
Aifred's hunting grounds
was my next destination. After thirty minutes of wandering I just had to go back to the mural.

Yeah, I spent about 5 minutes running around town thinking she was still there. In my next playthrough though she will live, dang it!

ys45

Even with these hints , it's still kinda pain figuring out where to go. Go to Malory! What the fuck is Malory? Oh, you mean that place where if you're lucky you may have stumbled on a dozen maps ago?

That is exactly what's my friend is complaining about they give vague objectives.
Sorry I should have explained better in my previous post .

To be honest I always enjoyed Tales game for being linear and always knowing where to go and not too much backtracking .

I have to admit that these are huge turn off for me ....but Il just play the game and make my own judgement .

Stuart444

Yeah, I spent about 5 minutes running around town thinking she was still there. In my next playthrough though she will live, dang it!

I think most people did since many guides based on the JP version seem to assume that the side quest only has one possible ending.

I also didn't know til yesterday that (early game spoilers)
the dog at the start could die if you weren't quick enough chasing him. But most people seem to chase him quickly without messing about, I'm guessing if you mess about, he could die. I assume the same is true with the above spoiler, you need to be very quick and direct without stopping.

R0ckman

True, I get that and I definitely agree with you I just think that someone should have done more to try to stop him rather than kill his family. They had nothing to do with his corruption and I felt the people took out their anger with him by killing them. I'm not saying he's a misunderstood villain, I just think that killing his family for revenge on his wickedness was a low blow. The fact he used it against Sorey and Mikleo was even lower.

Yeah, they probably shouldn't have added in killing Gramps, it really seals the deal that he needs to die, (he not only killed their family once, but twice). Not so much for revenge but that he just really does need to die. With Tales characters I'm usually trying to see if there is some kind of way to save or redeem the villain, but with this guy I was constantly thinking that he NEEDS to die. Not because I want to save him, but that he is a plague to the game's world and I want to protect that world. I really think the writing for the conflict and protag/antag relationships was terrible.

Arkeus

You...kinda have a library/map for that.
For me at least, after the water dungeon I pretty much had no idea where to go because the objective was "restore spiritual power" or whatever it was and Rose had no idea where to go and there were no yellow stars on the map and nothing in the previous cut-scene did anything to indicate that
Aifred's hunting grounds
was my next destination. After thirty minutes of wandering I just had to go back to the mural.
Didn't your squire tell you to go look at the mural?

bryt

I'm playing on Hard and is there a trick to making it so that the AI just doesn't die on boss fights all the time? Every boss fight I get 0.00 grade because the AI just keeps on dying.

I basically just solo bosses with Sorey right now so I just changed Sorey's equipment so that he has minimal defense and a huge amount of attack and it's made the game so much easier on hard.

Yeah, they probably shouldn't have added in killing Gramps, it really seals the deal that he needs to die, (he not only killed their family once, but twice). Not so much for revenge but that he just really does need to die. With Tales characters I'm usually trying to see if there is some kind of way to save or redeem the villain, but with this guy I was constantly thinking that he NEEDS to die. Not because I want to save him, but that he is a plague to the game's world and I want to protect that world. I really think the writing for the conflict and protag/antag relationships was terrible.

Same here! Not only Tales games, but some others, I try to find any possible redeeming qualities the villan may have and when they initially presented Heldalf's backstory I thought that may be it but in the end that wasn't the case. I am happy he died, he was a terrible person and like you said, he plagued the world. I thought the writing was off at some parts and I sort of felt the game was rushed with Alisha departing as well as Dezel's death. They took no real time to grieve or really deal with Alisha leaving so suddenly. But I did like the game overall and after playing Zestiria I'm excited for Berseria. :)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I turned on the dub to test it out, and I'm really pleasantly surprised! Sorey sounds so much like Yuri Lowenthal (I know it isn't) and I think Mikleo's dub voice is actually superior to his Japanese one. Lailah sounds a lot different (although not worse necessarily), Edna is pretty much the same and Dezel could go either way, although he sounds a bit boyish in the dub, moreso than I think he should. Either way, any stilted dialogue is the fault of the script; the VAs did a wonderful job.

Rose is a little, uh, squeaky? She sounds a bit grating, but it suits her character I suppose

R0ckman

Same here! Not only Tales games, but some others, I try to find any possible redeeming qualities the villan may have and when they initially presented Heldalf's backstory I thought that may be it but in the end that wasn't the case. I am happy he died, he was a terrible person and like you said, he plagued the world. I thought the writing was off at some parts and I sort of felt the game was rushed with Alisha departing as well as Dezel's death. They took no real time to grieve or really deal with Alisha leaving so suddenly. But I did like the game overall and after playing Zestiria I'm excited for Berseria. :)

100% agree, can't wait for Berseria! Yeah with Alisha and Dezel it felt weird. With Alisha, she was a knight first and foremost (that was her current main occupation) but she spent little time in combat and most of the story after she left, implied she was just meddling in politics. Rose also felt undone as a character, her back story very loose and mainly tied to Dezel.

Did you notice how in the opening Zaveid was just thrown in with one scene? I remember watching the Japanese opening before the game came here. I pretty much went into the game's story blind beyond that but thought it was weird he just in one scene, on top of that it looked like it had slightly different art and animation quality than the rest of the cinematic.

He also kind of felt like he was thrown into the story in a way to make him kind of fit. He was a wandering seraphim who is cool, has a personal mission and quickly takes Dezel's place after his death and is a COMPLETE clone of Dezel gameplay wise. As a character he worked and had great chemistry with the party and if I'm accusing them of throwing him in at the last minute I also have to say they did a good job of fitting him in without it being totally awkward.

I'm sure you've played a lot of RPGS, if you've played Hearts in English he almost feels like that one extra character they added to the PS Vita, loosely added into the story but not so obvious that he was a "new bonus character".

I'm convinced something happened though, there are too many things bordering the fourth wall. Like once Dezel died, Zaveid immediately coming in to take his place. Like right after he died, didn't Zaveid come take his hat off the ground and put it on? And then the quickly explained away issues like the skit with not having to go back to the Wind Tower and complete the trial again.

So about Equipment/Skill fusing, is there no way to see the skill sheet while on the fusion menu? I don't really know if i'm losing a bonus skill or not if I'll go through a fusion unless i back out and manually check the sheet on the equipment menu.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Man the grade system makes me mad. It's all "You ignored a status effect!!" and, I can't even tell when someone is hit with one. There's a lot of contextual voice clips but none for status effects? Or am I just not paying enough attention?

Also I haven't seen any panaceas or anything to purchase for status effects either, just Apple Gels and Life Bottles. Will those come into play later? I feel like I'm still in Tutorial Mode, all the monoliths keep hammering (to good effect, I must say) information about the battle system :lol

Crevox

So about Equipment/Skill fusing, is there no way to see the skill sheet while on the fusion menu? I don't really know if i'm losing a bonus skill or not if I'll go through a fusion unless i back out and manually check the sheet on the equipment menu.

The only thing you can do is use the Try On menu, which doesn't really help either. You need to juggle in and out of the shop menu a lot to plan your fusings.

Also I haven't seen any panaceas or anything to purchase for status effects either, just Apple Gels and Life Bottles. Will those come into play later? I feel like I'm still in Tutorial Mode, all the monoliths keep hammering (to good effect, I must say) information about the battle system :lol

You should be able to buy Panacea Bottles pretty soon, but that still doesn't mean it's always worth doing. It kills your "no items used" grade bonus.

If you want to avoid the neglect penalty, you need to cure it using the seraphim (each one can cure their aligned status ailment) or just wait it out. Usually not worth doing either one, better to just not get statused in the first place.

Top Bottom