• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Man the grade system makes me mad. It's all "You ignored a status effect!!" and, I can't even tell when someone is hit with one. There's a lot of contextual voice clips but none for status effects? Or am I just not paying enough attention?

Also I haven't seen any panaceas or anything to purchase for status effects either, just Apple Gels and Life Bottles. Will those come into play later? I feel like I'm still in Tutorial Mode, all the monoliths keep hammering (to good effect, I must say) information about the battle system :lol

There are voice clips for status effects. I know Lailah says something like "How careless of me. " and I think Sorey says something along the lines of "pull yourself together ", but I'm not sure.

R0ckman

Man the grade system makes me mad. It's all "You ignored a status effect!!" and, I can't even tell when someone is hit with one. There's a lot of contextual voice clips but none for status effects? Or am I just not paying enough attention?

Also I haven't seen any panaceas or anything to purchase for status effects either, just Apple Gels and Life Bottles. Will those come into play later? I feel like I'm still in Tutorial Mode, all the monoliths keep hammering (to good effect, I must say) information about the battle system :lol

You don't look down at the character faces constantly in battle?

Major Spoilers
The whole death of Dezel was so poorly done. His backstory was so muddled, what exactly did he do that caused the downfall of the Windriders? He's the reason the Prince became a Hellion? How? And they even managed to throw an amnesia subplot in there? The whole thing was a poorly explained mess. And made even more bizarre with how Zaveid just casually replaces him.

Shouta

Major Spoilers
The whole death of Dezel was so poorly done. His backstory was so muddled, what exactly did he do that caused the downfall of the Windriders? He's the reason the Prince became a Hellion? How? And they even managed to throw in an amnesia subplot in there? The whole thing was a poorly explained mess. And made even more bizarre with how Zaveid just casually replaces him.

When I got to that part in JP version, I facepalm'ed the entire time I watched it. That's where the game really starts its downward spiral.

100% agree, can't wait for Berseria! Yeah with Alisha and Dezel it felt weird. With Alisha, she was a knight first and foremost (that was her current main occupation) but she spent little time in combat and most of the story after she left, implied she was just meddling in politics. Rose also felt undone as a character, her back story very loose and mainly tied to Dezel.

Did you notice how in the opening Zaveid was just thrown in with one scene? I remember watching the Japanese opening before the game came here. I pretty much went into the game's story blind beyond that but thought it was weird he just in one scene, on top of that it looked like it had slightly different art and animation quality than the rest of the cinematic.

He also kind of felt like he was thrown into the story in a way to make him kind of fit. He was a wandering seraphim who is cool, has a personal mission and quickly takes Dezel's place after his death and is a COMPLETE clone of Dezel gameplay wise. As a character he worked and had great chemistry with the party and if I'm accusing them of throwing him in at the last minute I also have to say they did a good job of fitting him in without it being totally awkward.

I'm sure you've played a lot of RPGS, if you've played Hearts in English he almost feels like that one extra character they added to the PS Vita, loosely added into the story but not so obvious that he was a "new bonus character".

I'm convinced something happened though, there are too many things bordering the fourth wall. Like once Dezel died, Zaveid immediately coming in to take his place. Like right after he died, didn't Zaveid come take his hat off the ground and put it on? And then the quickly explained away issues like the skit with not having to go back to the Wind Tower and complete the trial again.

Yeah, I didn't like how tied Rose was to Dezel I mean yeah they established her as a character prior to but once she actually joins the group they were just so bound together when speaking about one another's past. It was a little messy but I guess "forgivable".

I did notice that about the opening! I glanced in the art book (I got the collectors edition) before playing and noticed that there were two wind seraphim and I thought that was odd and since I was going in completely blind I didn't even know what sort of roles they would have. Once I seen the opening I assumed Zaveid would just be a Gaius like role, not a good guy but not necessarily a bad guy either. Neutral party that drives the main cast towards their goal I suppose. I thought it was odd that he was in one scene and then towards the end of the cinematic when everyone's face flashes on Sorey he is no where to be seen, nor in the grass scene with the party. I do like how he sort of seamlessly meshes into the group though, even if it was at an awkward time and he cracked jokes during the grieving of a death. I think I may actually prefer Zaveid over Dezel, I just wish there was more time spent with both characters. I do agree, Zaveid definitely feels like a Gall/Galando character.

Yes!! He did put on his hat, I kind of laughed at that scene and thought "He's just going to be complete clone of Dezel." and he essentially was. I was kind of upset that they didn't grieve a little more, I mean the scene afterwards was heavy but I felt that they didn't really properly address the whole 'Hey this guy we've been traveling with (who is also our friend) just committed suicide to save us and Rose, Oh hey Zaveid join us on our journey even though our friend just killed himself, we'll welcome you with open arms!' The skits are one thing but not everyone pays attention to the skits and I felt like that should have been implemented into the full story and not tossed aside onto a skit. I think a lot of things happened to development to cause such abrupt things to transpire in the game. Possibly creative differences among the group, time constraint, pressure from possible outside sources/fans? Who knows!?

anyone have a strategy for
Duhvision
currently lv 42 maining Rose and i always die right before that last bit of HP
stun locking him with Water Armatus worked until it didnt and he did his stupid lasers
should i just come back later?

Crevox

That one is a more annoying mutant hellion. You pretty much just need to either keep him locked down or just not be right in front of him.

The only really deadly thing I remember him doing is the frontal eye lasers, and they hurt a lot. As long as you keep away, it should be okay.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

If someone gets hit with a status effect, a little icon pops up next to their portrait.

That one is a more annoying mutant hellion. You pretty much just need to either keep him locked down or just not be right in front of him.

The only really deadly thing I remember him doing is the frontal eye lasers, and they hurt a lot. As long as you keep away, it should be okay.

so hug his ass Dark Souls style and ill be fine?
edit:got him

edgefusion

How many outfit and hairstyle options are there to choose from outside of the DLC? I just got beyond the initial human village and am wondering when I'll get Mikleo out of that bizarre getup. :)

How many outfit and hairstyle options are there to choose from outside of the DLC? I just got beyond the initial human village and am wondering when I'll get Mikleo out of that bizarre getup. :)

alot
ive only done the first trial and ive already got a bunch
havent gotten anything to replace his outfit though as i never change the core design other than hair and stuff in my first playthrough

Droplet

There aren't any for Mikleo, unfortunately. Best you'll get is the alt color which at the very least looks less...blue.

I'm not sure any of the character backstories in this game are done well. I'm really understanding why people say the writing in this game falls apart later on. I liked the game a lot more earlier in the game, now I just feel like I need to finish this so I can move onto Trails SC.

edgefusion

Sorry, I have another question! I just downloaded the "school costume set" dlc (yes to get rid of Mikleo's outfit) but I can't figure out how to equip it? I've gone to the DLC section of items but it's not showing there, and it doesn't show in the fashion section either. What gives?

Absol

Sorry, I have another question! I just downloaded the "school costume set" dlc (yes to get rid of Mikleo's outfit) but I can't figure out how to equip it? I've gone to the DLC section of items but it's not showing there, and it doesn't show in the fashion section either. What gives?

Try seeing if it actually installed if it did then try closing the game and opening it up again. Happened to me too when I downloaded one of the DLC while I had the game running.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm not sure any of the character backstories in this game are done well. I'm really understanding why people say the writing in this game falls apart later on. I liked the game a lot more earlier in the game, now I just feel like I need to finish this so I can move onto Trails SC.

This is exacerbated by Trails being good video games

Ascenion

Gotta say so far I love the entire cast, though I don't think I have everyone yet. I like Alisha,
but I don't get the hullabaloo over her leaving. I mean yeah they could've handled it better, but I like they dynamic between Rose and Sorey more. It seems like he can grow with her more so than Alisha.
And I feel I would've felt that way regardless.

Not sure if that counted as a spoiler so I'm just being safe.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The
wolves
in Lailah's crucible were indeed ridiculous lol, but it was fun figuring out her whole dodging and chain casting way of play. I got to them twice on moderate and died, then I just lowered the difficulty and beat them because aintnobodygottimeforthat.gif.

First time I did that so far, but I had to stop playing and I wanted to get that over with before calling it a day. I even beat the
Margaret quest wolf boss at Lastonbell
on the first try without feeling like lowering the difficulty, although I got 0.01 grade on that one because of that (I have no auto BA turned on and used no items, but everyone died repeatedly).

Also, during the
wolf hellion quest
I found by chance the dude who sells you
Grandpa's pipe back
in Lastonbell, so I'm glad I explored the cave and went back there before advancing to finish dealing with the Lord of the Land stuff. He wasn't there the first time I was in town.

Faenix1

Just got Edna. Lailah and Edna are officially my favourite and make this game worth it.

Don't know if I'm just out of it or turn my brain off when playing but they are rather amusing.

Stuart444

The Yder cave just feels needless big. I'm fine with the large fields but this cave is just too big to me. Especially when so many areas of it turn the camera into "Hey, let's look at the wall/back/crotch of the enemy"

Wow,
that dragon fight scenes in the battlefield was epic.
And what's the background song name in Lashtonbell scene after that?
It's in English!

Anyway, Edna with Devil wings and tail is just a perfect fit.

The Yder cave just feels needless big. I'm fine with the large fields but this cave is just too big to me. Especially when so many areas of it turn the camera into "Hey, let's look at the wall/back/crotch of the enemy"

Yder Cave was ridiculous, and I love huge areas in RPGs. It was just boring and had bad enemy groups. In general I've been enjoying the largeness of Zestiria and don't have any issues with it being a bit empty at places (I prefer it to Xillia's endless items that don't really mean anything littered everywhere), but that and a few of the ruins have been a bit grating.

Taruranto

The part after
the Water Temple, up to the Wind Temple
is kinda dull. There isn't much plot going on and the
Earth Temple
design was very basic and lame.

Doesn't help that the optional ruins feel samey too.

And I'll have to mention that I totally LOVE the characters bonding in Zestiria.
That
Lashtonbell
scene is just pure sweetness.

Stuart444

Quick side quest question (Pearloat's areaish):

We are told to go to the Camelot bridge to find someone. It has a huge domain covering it rending Seraph invisible/etc. Do we need to do another trial or two to access it? Trying to do as many of the side quests as possible atm before doing the main story.

Anyone know what Combo Hits are?

I need 150 for a Battle Skill and I have 92 already but it hasn't gone up in hours so I'm wondering what the heck a Combo Hit is because I can't find it in the library. I am doing combos all the time so I know it's not that, it's something specific.

Quick side quest question (Pearloat's areaish):

We are told to go to the Camelot bridge to find someone. It has a huge domain covering it rending Seraph invisible/etc. Do we need to do another trial or two to access it? Trying to do as many of the side quests as possible atm before doing the main story.

Yeah, should be able to go there after
finish whatever trials you have left.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Anyone know what Combo Hits are?

I need 150 for a Battle Skill and I have 92 already but it hasn't gone up in hours so I'm wondering what the heck a Combo Hit is because I can't find it in the library. I am doing combos all the time so I know it's not that, it's something specific.
You need to achieve a single combo of 150 hits. It's not cumulative, the 92 just means that your highest combo so far was one of 92 hits.

Okamid3n

I'm still wondering if anyone used the cross-buy feature of the ps3 and ps4 versions' dlc.

I bought the dlc for the ps3 and can't access it on ps4 even though they said it would be cross-buy. Did anyone manage to make this work?

bryt

Can you carry anomalous orbs into the second playthrough? Debating whether I should collect them all now or wait until my second playthrough.

Bladenic

That side quest that everyone talked about, where does the time limit come from? Because I went back to town after getting the orb in the cave, then ran straight to the boss fight, and my outcome was sad. Is the time of the boss what matters?

Stuart444

That side quest that everyone talked about, where does the time limit come from? Because I went back to town after getting the orb in the cave, then ran straight to the boss fight, and my outcome was sad. Is the time of the boss what matters?

The Sindra one? Like I said, I think it has to do with how quick you find the werewolf boss (the big one)outside the town. If it's possible for her to survive (and like I said, someone I know said she did for him), you probably have to make a beeline for the exit and then the wolf without stopping after the first boss fight. As in, no stopping.

I wish I had a save before then so I could experiment with it.

edit:
and the only videos I can find, they both stop and look about, one of them even has (what looks like maximum) windstepping but there is a cut in the video where it disappears so it's not an accurate representation of how quick you can get to the boss.

If someone else figures it out, do post.

Bladenic

The Sindra one? Like I said, I think it has to do with how quick you find the werewolf boss (the big one)outside the town. If it's possible for her to survive (and like I said, someone I know said she did for him), you probably have to make a beeline for the exit and then the wolf without stopping after the first boss fight. As in, no stopping.

I wish I had a save before then so I could experiment with it.

I didn't. I went straight to it. Weird. Do you get anything extra? Cuz if not I don't really care.

Stuart444

I didn't. I went straight to it. Weird. Do you get anything extra? Cuz if not I don't really care.

Maybe windstepping is needed (like I said in my edit, I did see someone who had max windstepping but due to the video being cut... he didn't use windstepping to fight the boss)? I'll ask my friend what he did.

But as for anything extra? Nah, just a different scene I'd assume.

edit:
He doesn't remember anything specific he did, I'm wondering if he misinterpreted the scene maybe. The discussion was originally brought up when someone mentioned how the dog died at the start which is the only reason I heard about this ironically. (side note: did anyone have the dog die on them? I honestly didn't know that could happen lol)

(also if it turns out he did and I was wrong, sorry. Like I said, I'm curious myself as to what/how many (assuming there is more) sidequests have different outcomes)

Maybe windstepping is needed (like I said in my edit, I did see someone who had max windstepping but due to the video being cut... he didn't use windstepping to fight the boss)? I'll ask my friend what he did.

But as for anything extra? Nah, just a different scene I'd assume.

There probably isn't any alternate ending to that quest. Nothing else in this game does anything like that and no one has been able to replicate that one person who said it ended differently.

Stuart444

There probably isn't any alternate ending to that quest. Nothing else in this game does anything like that and no one has been able to replicate that one person who said it ended differently.

See my edit above, I told him to look up a youtube video and see if it's the same ending that we all got. If so, then yeah, misinterpretation.

Also on a unrelated note but still Zesty related. I am finding myself disliking the fusion system more. Just feels needlessly complicated and I'm spending a lot of time second guessing what to fuse and what I should buy.

Just not a fan of it. Enjoying the game overall but that does annoy me. :/

It seems amazon pulled the listing for the CE due to complaints and it is now under review.

Really? I heard it wasn't that great but oh well I guess.

edit: also (side quest spoilers for mid-game or so when Rose has like 4 pages of side quests >.>):
I'm surprised at how many 'children' have died in the game so far. I just saw those bandit kids and only 2 survived. Normally games like this, you wouldn't see kids dead (though there was that implication of it in previous Tales games but you never saw many dead bodies of kids like you have in Zesty). Feels kinda dark when it comes to that.

Persona7

Banned
See my edit above, I told him to look up a youtube video and see if it's the same ending that we all got. If so, then yeah, misinterpretation.

Also on a unrelated note but still Zesty related. I am finding myself disliking the fusion system more. Just feels needlessly complicated and I'm spending a lot of time second guessing what to fuse and what I should buy.

Just not a fan of it. Enjoying the game overall but that does annoy me. :/

Really? I heard it wasn't that great but oh well I guess.

edit: also (side quest spoilers for mid-game or so when Rose has like 4 pages of side quests >.>):
I'm surprised at how many 'children' have died in the game so far. I just saw those bandit kids and only 2 survived. Normally games like this, you wouldn't see kids dead (though there was that implication of it in previous Tales games but you never saw many dead bodies of kids like you have in Zesty). Feels kinda dark when it comes to that.

It seems like some of them are missing the soundtrack disk and or figurine parts.

Bladenic

OWNED the next story boss BUT I'm so mad cuz I just barely missed the mystic arte, by that I mean the boss died before I could activate it. A 145 grade payout could have been 300, I'm so upset. I want to redo the fight but the way it played out so perfectly with no deaths or barely anyone even getting touched probably won't happen again :( oh well.

Stuart444

It seems like some of them are missing the soundtrack disk and or figurine parts.

Ah, that sucks :/

OWNED the next story boss BUT I'm so mad cuz I just barely missed the mystic arte, by that I mean the boss died before I could activate it. A 145 grade payout could have been 300, I'm so upset. I want to redo the fight but the way it played out so perfectly with no deaths or barely anyone even getting touched probably won't happen again :( oh well.

What's more annoying to me is when I think "The boss is almost dead, MA time!" and then he still has like 100 - 300hp left and dies before I can get one of the other characters to do their MA (either the other controller character or switching my character to someone else who has not used their MA yet)

:( I originally thought they looked cool but the first bunch of MAs are kinda weak and makes timing them to kill harder since it's easy to underestimate how much dmg they will cause.

I still think they look cool though outside of that issue mind.

Bladenic

Eh they're weak if you just use them with no combo or weakness hit, otherwise they can be fairly strong. It's just hard to maintain 3 BG when I'm fusing and stuff all the time.

Top Bottom