• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Stuart444

Eh they're weak if you just use them with no combo or weakness hit, otherwise they can be fairly strong. It's just hard to maintain 3 BG when I'm fusing and stuff all the time.

You can only use them in a combo :p.

And I generally do them in a combo but even then, they aren't that strong. (the ones you get
after the trials seem strong though based on how strong the fire one is. Not got the others yet
).

My favourite was being able to pull off a 96 or 97 combo or something and the MA (Soreys default MA) bringing it to a nice even 100 hit combo and finished the fight. That was awesome.

also yeah it can be hard to maintain 3BG when fusing for boss fights and stuff. Especially earlier in the game where I decided to defuse to MA and forgot to take into account the BG split when you defuse >.>

edit: also I found it totally awesome when Edna used her MA (as the AI) and finished the fight. Then I curse at the next fight where Mikleo used his at the start of the fight which was a bit of a waste but oh well >.>

Eternia

Just finished the main game on Moderate difficulty tonight, that last boss really showed me how useless the AI is. I was practically sitting there alone for 90% of the fight and only reviving during his special attack. Struggled a bit early on learning what I should actually do since everyone seemed to die within 10 seconds into the battle (my party has anywhere from 2700 to 3500hp, no idea if that was too low or if I had substandard gear).

The plot kind of falling apart 2/3 into the game is kind of unfortunate. A large number of things they introduced seem to go nowhere or were severely under developed. There doesn't seem to be much history or notable people among either factions that you were interacting with often. The regions also felt rather sparse for what they were trying to represent.

One of the things I love about these games are the little skits, fully voiced. Really adds character and humour between your party members (Edna was great). The battle system seemed fun once I understood most of the mechanics. Although, trying to balance normal and Armatization forms probably didn't do the AI any favours. Oh how many times have I seen them get one or two-shotted in normal form. I wasn't that fond of the skill chart system too. By the end, It really dissuaded me from upgrading and fusing gear due to losing an important skill or bonus.

First Tales I've played since Vesperia but I still thoroughly enjoyed most of the game despite a number of gripes I had.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
15 hours in an I have a few questions, a bit past Pendrago

What happened to Alisha and the problem with Hyland? It's like she and the problem just... Disappeared.

You're more than halfway done. About 2/3 of it, I guess.

Okay good, thanks. This game got a lot better as it went on but the opening hours were pretty painful.

What happened to Alisha and the problem with Hyland? It's like she and the problem just... Disappeared.

I think
she just went on to become sort form of political power but in her side quests later on she didn't seem to have mattered all that much. lol
Dunno why Japan is mad about her though, Rose is easily best girl in Zestiria.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I think
she just went on to become sort form of political power but in her side quests later on she didn't seem to have mattered all that much. lol
Dunno why Japan is mad about her though, Rose is easily best girl in Zestiria.

I think my major issue is that Alisha was heavily undercooked in the main game and she just up and left the party early because of budgeting purposes or something. It's like she's an extremely half-baked character and she was probably expanded in the DLC.

Her story
will be interconnected with the main story later.

Okay good, thanks. This game got a lot better as it went on but the opening hours were pretty painful.

It'll get even better towards the end. I haven't finished the game yet though, only the final confrontation left. And I can't wait to get back home and see the ending.

ULTROS!

Her story
will be interconnected with the main story later.

That's good to hear.
But I assume she's still not fleshed out in the game since there's DLC? Or I guess that's filler what happens to her when she left the party.

That's good to hear.
But I assume she's still not fleshed out in the game since there's DLC? Or I guess that's filler what happens to her when she left the party.

I think her role in the game is already justified after watching the chain of events toward the end of the game. She has a big role unifying both regions after the war, and to prevent another war in the future. Moreover, Alisha really just can't leave her duty as a princess to do some adventures with the sheperd, and Rose's role in the main story is kinda important anyway. The DLC is there just to compensate the raging Alisha fans, is all.
Imho.

ULTROS!

I think her role in the game is already justified after watching the chain of events toward the end of the game. She has a big role unifying both regions after the war, and to prevent another war in the future. Moreover, Alisha really just can't leave her duty as a princess to do some adventures with the sheperd, and Rose's role in the main story is kinda important anyway. The DLC is there just to compensate the raging Alisha fans, is all.
Imho.

But she's not interesting at all... At least Rose was interesting. Fans.... -_-

Mieu

That's good to hear.

IIRC, the DLC happens
"months after an event "in the main game

And this is where the famous
catfight .gif
can be seen.

aitakute

The School costumes dlc are available now on PSN. Want to get them but the server is in maintenance now and can't redeem my code

Absol

Lastonbell sidequest:

So I booked it to the exit after the fight with the small wolf but the girl still died for me. Is there really no way to save her? :(

Bowlie

Banned
So, I know we've been talking about that Lastonbell sidequest, and its ending (I got the same as you).

It's sad that, after the events of Pendrago Shrinechurch, you can hear this conversation in the streets:

Is little Margaret from the inn okay? She'll be back, right?

And then when you talk to the bartender in the inn, she says:

Every time the bells ring, the innkeeper goes outside to pray.
I'm sure she's pleading with the seraphim to keep young Margaret safe. May her prayers reach their ears and serve to protect that poor girl...

They don't even know :/

On a sidenote: I can finally go back to previous places? Yeah!

Fisico

Imho.

That's my opinion on the matter too.
Regarding Alisha I don't think anyone should have high expectations for the DLC.

Mendrox

So would you recommend the game if I loved Vesperia and liked Xillia1? How is the cast in this game?

Yes get it then. In my opinion the cast is better than Xilias and on par with Vesperias (just because Yuri rocks that shit and I loved everyone except for Karol and Judith).

There is no annoying kid in the group - this time the "kid" is the best character in the group.
MC is not stupid and works his way up nicely.

That's good to hear.

Truthfully, I thought she got fleshed out by some later story events that tie into her. She's still not the most exciting character in the world, but that plays into part of her development.

I still don't think her departure was handled all that well, to be honest. In general I think Zesty has one of the better stories in terms of thematic consistency and character development, but it seems to skip proper build-up between foreshadowing and execution that leaves the latter feeling strange and unsatisfying a lot of the time.

So would you recommend the game if I loved Vesperia and liked Xillia1? How is the cast in this game?

Yeah. For me at least, it's the most enjoyable game since Vesperia. Cast is definitely as good as Vesperia's. There are mixed opinions on him, but Sorey's become one of my favorite Tales protagonists, and if nothing else the party chemistry is great.

That's my opinion on the matter too.
Regarding Alisha I don't think anyone should have high expectations for the DLC.

Yeah, indeed.
If it isn't free I won't get it anyway.

Yes get it then. In my opinion the cast is better than Xilias and on par with Vesperias (just because Yuri rocks that shit and I loved everyone except for Karol and Judith).

There is no annoying kid in the group - this time the "kid" is the best character in the group.
MC is not stupid and works his way up nicely.

Seriously, we need more Ednas in JRPGs. Annoying loli characters are just too annoying the more I see them nowadays. I can't stand their voices as well. Edna, in the other hand, is just a perfect loli character lol.
Mature and so composed, a big bully too.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Whaaaaaaaat.

The Alisha DLC story's ending is such a tease ....

is that weird zombie-vampire guy going to turn into the next lord of calamity ?

Bladenic

Someone just tell what the fuck I'm supposed to be doing in the Fire dungeon. There are two locked doors and no matter what I do with lighting torches neither opens.

demidar

Someone just tell what the fuck I'm supposed to be doing in the Fire dungeon. There are two locked doors and no matter what I do with lighting torches neither opens.

Look at the bottom of the pedestals, there will be lines that indicate the order they should be lit in. Also you can only light them when facing the side with those lines.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm just loving the characters in the game, the voice-cast did a fantastic job really. I lost it at the part where you have to pretend to be someone else, to put less emphasis on spoilery things;
I can't believe the Knight's Captain still thinks they're married

Also getting some tough bosses all of a sudden, difficulty spikes or am I just not keeping up with levels/gear?

Crevox

I'm just loving the characters in the game, the voice-cast did a fantastic job really. I lost it at the part where you have to pretend to be someone else, to put less emphasis on spoilery things;
I can't believe the Knight's Captain still thinks they're married

Also getting some tough bosses all of a sudden, difficulty spikes or am I just not keeping up with levels/gear?

Some bosses are harder than others, but usually if you're having trouble it's a good sign that you should take a second look at your equipment and battle strategy.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I'm pretty early on (just leaving the first town after becoming the Shepard and returning Alicia's knife), does this pick up soon? I know the Tales games are usually heavy on exposition, but this one seems to be a bit more of a slow starter than I'm used to.

Crevox

I'm pretty early on (just leaving the first town after becoming the Shepard and returning Alicia's knife), does this pick up soon? I know the Tales games are usually heavy on exposition, but this one seems to be a bit more of a slow starter than I'm used to.

It's definitely a slow start, a lot of cutscene and very little battle. It won't be that way forever, but for a little bit longer.

Itachi87

I agree. Usually this type of character are the worse in JRPGs, but they made her likable here. And to be fair she's a kid in outward appearance only. She's much older age-wise than Sorey, Mikleo and Rose.

Stuart444

Earth Trial spoilers:

Edna is awesome. Just started the Trial and her scene at the beginning had me laughing <3.

Also how do you get the treasures in this place? There is some on top of pillars and I can't see a way to get them :/

Crevox

Earth Trial spoilers:

Edna is awesome. Just started the Trial and her scene at the beginning had me laughing <3.

Also how do you get the treasures in this place? There is some on top of pillars and I can't see a way to get them :/

You go downstairs to the basement and break the columns so they fall upstairs.

Earth Trial spoilers:

You have to go underground and knock the pillars out with your earth punch to lower them.

I've been wanting to get this game for some time but classes and stuff haven't granted me the time to do so. One thing I really want to know: how difficult is it to obtain the platinum trophy? I plated Xillia and I try to plat jrpgs if possible.

R0ckman

Imho.

The issue is at the start of the game she DID just kind of leave to do her own personal thing. On top of this they had the Chancellor and Friends committee to send her to a village with a sickness. If anything they wanted her OUT of the political drama.

You could really tell that the story was kind of fragmented together towards the end there. Everything just went to poop when they started explaining Dezel's past before he died. Hell, I don't even think Maltran was suppose to be an enemy originally. Everything felt so disconnected, the villains were not very strong at all. It was so sad even fighting Symone. It was like I was fighting a bad guy who didn't even want to be a "bad guy". It felt like she was just doing the personality act of "villain" out of obligation. I'm saddened by the quality of the villains.

finally at the part where
Dezel dies
this wouldnt of worked with Alisha replacing Rose and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool

I'm not convinced this was always what they planned (the death scene and maybe even some of the background).

Taruranto

The later game caves are getting pretty bad. I'm in the
desert zone
and I feel like they made 'em big for the sake of being big.

Also, what's up with the Shepard's powers gimmicks? Do they think smashing a rock over and over counts as interesting enviroment interactions?

Stuart444

Also, what's up with the Shepard's powers gimmicks? Do they think smashing a rock over and over counts as interesting enviroment interactions?

It's better to me than some of the previous game dungeons which were just "run to end of dungeon". This one at least has some interactivity and puzzles.

I do agree with the "big for the sake of being big" thing though. Like I said earlier, the Yder Cave was just horrible.

I just finished the trial of water and it was nowhere near as bad as people said. Also the ost playing in the trial of water and of fire are fantastic and I can only hope the trial of woosh and kabonk have also a great ost.

Top Bottom