• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

bobohoro

There's uh... no lore/mechanic justification for being able to walk up to your corpse and loot all your shit back. Unless that becomes the next JRPG trope to add to the top of the pile.

(To be fair, there wasn't for the original Diablo either,)

There's also no lore/mechanic justification for save points placed across the globe.

Quick Save is your friend.

Isn't there a quick save?

Still annoying. Why should I have to quicksave every 5 battles if there are easier/more convenient options available for developers to implement?

Call me lazy, but that kind of thing just doesn't sit well with me. Especially in Tales games, where you lose not only exp/time, but also grade, arte usage and other stats. Beam me back to the entrance, let me pay a fee for keeping some stuff or make me reclaim my soul, anything is better than losing all those things on a random mob because you got careless.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
No way I'm going for the plat. I got kinda burned out from the DQH plat.

Also what level should I be for the Water Temple? The enemies are slightly hard and I'm at 33-34.

Crevox

The fact that dying once in a battle is half your grade gone already is so annoying.

Story question
do you ever meet this emperor that everyone keeps mentioning?

The problem is that the AI dying costs you the grade. It should only hurt you if you die, at least in a game where the AI doesn't know how to block.

As for your question, no.

Also what level should I be for the Water Temple? The enemies are slightly hard and I'm at 33-34.

Level doesn't matter. If you're struggling, it means you need to work on your equipment and battle strategy.

R0ckman

Some story spoilers after the
Water Trial
:

After the Maltran scene, it feels disconnected in a sense. The princess has "outlived her usefulness" and right after it's like "Let's head to the Wind Trial" "I'm sure Alisha will be fine", etc. Saying that after letting her 'teacher' who works for the Lord of Calamity escape with a sword that is powerful enough to "cleave the world". Just feels very odd and disconnected in a way? Meh. I'm interested in where it's going but that part just feels so off to me.

It doesn't get better, gets worse, as far as not making sense. There isn't any really big spoiler with this, just disappointment. Basically she does nothing to her really, and you kind of force a confrontation with her later. Towards the end the writers do this weird thing where they throw all of the "bad guys" into this queue of quests, you just go and kill them all with most of them not even really getting a proper background, so you end up just not caring about any of them.

Something, happened in development. I was digging and found out that Rose's Japanese voice actor had auditions for the role a year before the game release, meanwhile the other characters such as Edna had they voice acting auditions done 2 years before the game's release.

Stuart444

Tales of Zestiria Platz GET!

Congrats :)

Still annoying. Why should I have to quicksave every 5 battles if there are easier/more convenient options available for developers to implement

I'd call it pretty darn easy and convenient that you can just pause and quick save, especially when quick saving takes seconds of your time.

Something, happened in development. I was digging and found out that Rose's Japanese voice actor had auditions for the role a year before the game release, meanwhile the other characters such as Edna had they voice acting auditions done 2 years before the game's release.

Any link for that? I'm honestly quite curious now.

R0ckman

Any link for that? I'm honestly quite curious now.

1422885328107.jpg

God I hate the wraths in the dungeon near Lastonbell. There's always like 5 of them, they can summon more of them, and using armazitation against them just speeds up their casting. Super unfun on hard.

I think they are weak against fire. The quickest way to kill anything is just hammer it with high level spells of the appropriate element.

Lailah's Ancient Nova instagibs some enemies that are weak against fire for example.

Also, set your other human party member to attack enemy weaknesses. There's really no reason for them to be doing anything else imo.

R0ckman

Ty!

Also just catching up at the inn on all the skits I've missed. People getting taught others support skills and stuff. Crazy to think how many I've missed.

Very welcome.

I wonder if the cast was originally a permanent 6 man group of Sorey, Alisha, Mikleo, Edna, Lailah, and Dezel.

heringer

About 6 hours in. I'm enjoying it, though the story is a bit slow. Does it pick up later?

The combat is fun but man, I can't wrap my head around everything. There's so many systems...

Love the fusion thing. Feels like going super sayan. Though I wish the character model was a little different depending on the seraph instead of just a color swap.

Stuart444

So I think I came to do the
Iris Gem sidequests past the camelot bridge too early.

I got hurt a lot with the
Medusa style hellion but won thanks to lots of item usage. (mainly died near the end when she started to use that powerful laser thing)
and I got wrecked by
the elephant hellion in one hit. Lots of HP and all.

Guess I better continue the main story and come back later. (for the record, I just finished
the final trial
)

Bladenic

About 6 hours in. I'm enjoying it, though the story is a bit slow. Does it pick up later?

The combat is fun but man, I can't wrap my head around everything. There's so many systems...

Love the fusion thing. Feels like going super sayan. Though I wish the character model was a little different depending on the seraph instead of just a color swap.

Yeah that's a bummer. Only difference is color and weapon.

I'm on the scour for more trials, but currently I'm doing side quests and exploring. Frankly I think for what they're capable of and what they were aiming for, they did a good job on the fields and whatnot. There's a lot to explore and find that's not part of the story. A huge step up from Xillia, in any case.

Stuart444

Yeah that's a bummer. Only difference is color and weapon.

I'm on the scour for more trials, but currently I'm doing side quests and exploring. Frankly I think for what they're capable of and what they were aiming for, they did a good job on the fields and whatnot. There's a lot to explore and find that's not part of the story. A huge step up from Xillia, in any case.

I didn't mind the fields in Xillia but Zestiria's fields are far better. Can't say the same for some of the caves though, some are just too big yet so narrow making battles annoying. I do enjoy the fact that it feels like there is more puzzles in the game than in the recent PS3 entries.

Droplet

So I think I came to do the
Iris Gem sidequests past the camelot bridge too early.

I got hurt a lot with the
Medusa style hellion but won thanks to lots of item usage. (mainly died near the end when she started to use that powerful laser thing)
and I got wrecked by
the elephant hellion in one hit. Lots of HP and all.

Guess I better continue the main story and come back later. (for the record, I just finished
the final trial
)

I did the same. The
elephant
still took forever anyway, but I think I ended up winning by running under him with Sorey and doing my best when my seraphs were alive. I'm not good at this game.

Synless

Lately I have noticed my characters randomly using mystic artes or fusing without me telling actually hitting the buttons to do it... What gives?

FSLink

Banned
No, my character that I am directly controlling will do it. Example, mystic artes wants me to hit R2 + O, I am not touching R2 at all and my character will just randomly do his mystic arte. It's really pissing me off.

Looks like you have one of the Auto Battle Skills turned on. Turn them off.

Alright, don't mind my last post about the church dungeon as the worst dungeon in Zestiria. Alisha DLC dungeon is THE WORST. Fuck that, I'm not going to do that ever again.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ugh, the
Salamander
boss fight on hard is frustrating. The AI dying constantly doesn't help either.

Yeah that one is kinda tough.
Attack him right after he's done an attack to stagger him, stay fused with Mikleo at all times and wear him down, worked for me

I'm still quite early in the game but I'm slowly but surely liking the whole equipment/skill system. It's still a hassle to not know what skills you'll lose on the skill sheet when fusing though

Fisico

That's an interesting tidbit but I'm not sure if that's a very conclusive argument though, dubbing does not matter much timewise in the scale of game development, could happen at any time as long as the script is set and be implemented only a few months before release.

You could also say they initially had someone else chosen for Rose that cancelled right before beginning recording and they had to recast someone afterwards for example.

EDIT: Ehh, so apprently Jiji's seiyuu died 1 year before the game was even released, so I guess the recording took place before that, winter 2013 / early 2014.

Stuart444

That's an interesting tidbit but I'm not sure if that's a very conclusive argument though, dubbing does not matter much timewise in the scale of game development, could happen at any time as long as the script is set and be implemented only a few months before release.

You could also say they initially had someone else chosen for Rose that cancelled right before beginning recording and they had to recast someone afterwards for example.

Last one is possible. Auditions generally happen at the same time, at least for main characters while the actual dubbing process happens later. That said with certain scenes feeling disjointed, you have to wonder if they really changed the story last minute, ya know? It's an interesting thought anyway.

Anyway, just got to the scene (major spoilers)
where Dezel dies. ;_; really a good scene even if sad. It was well done I thought.

After struggling a bit with the previous bosses it felt good to put
General Landon
(Glaivend Basin boss) in his place and get the associated trophy on the first try. I think it's easier when you only have to babysit one brain-dead AI which you can rotate around as they get hurt.

The postgame dungeon was really underwhelming, a bunch of recycled areas with a few conversations with old Tales characters, but I suppose that's par for the course.

Just picked this up. Excited.

Also, gotta say, best Tales theme. I went into the intro scene expecting J-Pop like usual (which isn't really my thing). Instead got kind of a rocking number. It was pretty awesome.

For those of you having trouble trying to prevent the AI from dying as much consider reading this.

I just found this one GameFAQs

Try telling your Seraphim to Engage at Range and Focus on Attacking. They'll only stop casting offensive magic if the fight moves in their direction, either to run away or to do a bit of melee and then run away. Also turn off Lailah's close range spells and Edna's trigger spells if you're doing this. Lailah would run into the boss's attack range before starting to cast those, and Edna wastes time by setting her triggers over and over and over again without actually attacking.

Human AI should just aim at weaknesses. Like...all the time. There's never a reason for them not to be, especially since they can hit everything. Unless you want them to cast spells while Armatized. Then use Engage at Range like with the Seraphim. I always have Human AI's attack frequency on Balanced, since I don't want them right in the enemy's face at all times. They die even more often when doing that.

Tell everybody to Watch HP and use Blast Gauge for defense. Seraphim will heal and Humans will use Armatization when HP falls below 75%. They'll un-fuse when it's higher. There also seems to be a slightly lower threshold for Armatized heals. Like, if they're sitting right at about 75%, they won't heal themselves, but they won't unfuse either. They'll heal themselves if they get hurt too much more though.

Seems nothing can be done about the fact that all party AI can't dodge enemy attacks for crap in this game.

In normal battles I have Edna and Dezel fighting on Close Combat while Mikleo and Lailah balance their melee and spells. (And I have all of Lailah's and Edna's spells turned on since they work just fine in this situation.) All four of them with balanced attack frequency like the humans. The humans set to Manage HP instead, so they Armatiize at 50% health instead of 75%. Other than that, same settings as with boss battles.

just beat
Tiamat
THIS SONG FEELS YOU WITH DETERMINATION
edit: i can vouch for the above settings
dont worry about turning off spells though as its negligable
what i do is have them use spread out and attack in random battles and just leave it to these settings for bosses

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Setting a level 3 Normin to the area where you fight the Gryphon boss was a huge mistake

Bladenic

UGH I just can't seem to crack 100 hits. Most I've got is 94. And I hate when a boss goes super well only to have the AI die near the end. Which I was like whatever, but then they armatized and killed the boss right as I was about to unleash the mystic arte DAMN YOU. Don't feel like redoing the fight either.

Overall I'm glad they brought grade back but I really they need to refine it a bit more, namely AI deaths shouldn't count. Either that or make the AI more competent. I also don't think I've seen the AI guard once in this game, I swear it's like they disabled that function for them lmao

Top Bottom