• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Bladenic

Last night I made a lot more progress (I'm playing so slowly) and (late game spoilers)
Tiamat was so unfun on Hard. First boss I got 0 grade on too, I got KOd 9 times. Well, the AI did anyway. At least the animated cutscene looked awesome, although Tiamat was way bigger in the cutscene than in the fight haha. Maltran wasn't bad but they could've at least given us a new dungeon to go through so we can actually make use of Alicia, she literally rejoins for just the boss (and lolz they still find time to make her look like shit by having Sorey say his vision is a bit blurry).

Instead of Alisha/Rose, people should've been more mad with the fact that
this game promised us dragons and... well, I certainly didn't feel like I got dragons. Hell Graces had a sidequest with fighting dragons, this game couldn't let us fight the 8 dragons mentioned by Edna early on? Terrible. I'd say that was more of a false advertising claim than Alisha haha.

Datschge

Estelle is a playable damsel in distress, Alisha is empowered. Outside of the shortcoming of the story execution I prefer the latter.

Edit:
Yeah, the whole dragons thing irked me way more as well. Dragons were central to the first couple trailers and the logo as well.

Taruranto

Estelle? Alisha?

True gentlemen know who the best Tales of Princess is.

CNdbn9F.jpg

Yes, Natalia fans. Yes, we exist.

Tales of Destiny is underappreciated. The PS2 remake is legit the best Tales game. That aerial battle system. The gorgeous 2D. The fun cast and added skits. Elemental talking swords. Ahhhhh! I need to play the special edition some day.

And that amazing first battle theme

I would have enjoyed ToD more if the first half of the story wasn't "chase this McGuffin all over the planet". The cast is probably one of my least favorite as well. I know Japan has a giant boner for Leon, but I just can't understand why.

Quick question, can I access maps from other areas aside from the local area where the speherd currently located? For example, when Sorey and co are in a town, but I want to check the surrounding area without getting out of the town

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
These posts just add more weight to my statement above that people prefer Mary Sues/Gary Stus to actual realistic characters that make mistakes and aren't right all the time.

And what's with this "She's a princess!" excuse for Alisha? Estelle was one, too. She had plenty of time to travel around with Yuri.

Alisha was written to be a bad character. Rose is written as a happy go lucky sociopath that can do no wrong. I'm fine with the characters as the base personalities are fine. What I take issue with is the terrible writing that produced this situation with the plot.
I don't prefer Mary Sues at all, it just isn't something that bothered me when it came to Rose. I recognized she's written like that, I just didn't care.

Alisha is objectively a better written character, she has an arc and faults while Rose doesn't. She's more of a real person and I'd be completely fine with Alisha staying in the group through the whole game, I liked her. I don't feel strongly about this matter either way though.

Bladenic

Estelle? Alisha?

CNdbn9F.jpg

I would have enjoyed ToD more if the first half of the story wasn't "chase this McGuffin all over the planet". The cast is probably one of my least favorite as well. I know Japan has a giant boner for Leon, but I just can't understand why.

Nope, sorry, she's the worst. I actually really liked Natalia until 2/3 through the game when literally everything that comes out of her mouth is "Asch" this and that and "Fuck me, Asch." Ruined her character. She's still fun to play though.

Zafir

Estelle? Alisha?

CNdbn9F.jpg

Oh lord. I didn't even know they existed.

I think I'd probably put Alisha on top. Natalia is okay for most of Abyss, and then she falls off a cliff nearing the end and becomes really whiny over Asch enough to make me dislike her. Estelle I've never really liked honestly, for the same reasons I dislike Colette(although I don't dislike her anywhere near as much as I dislike Colette, very few characters get that joy).

Cornbread78

These posts just add more weight to my statement above that people prefer Mary Sues/Gary Stus to actual realistic characters that make mistakes and aren't right all the time.

And what's with this "She's a princess!" excuse for Alisha? Estelle was one, too. She had plenty of time to travel around with Yuri.

Alisha was written to be a bad character. Rose is written as a happy go lucky sociopath that can do no wrong. I'm fine with the characters as the base personalities are fine. What I take issue with is the terrible writing that produced this situation with the plot.

Each character is different for me. I'm also a Kirito fan, so obviously the overpowering characters are not a problem for me. However, when presented with it, you always love a good underdog story and watching a character struggle and word hard to succeed. All I ask is that they are given a decent personality to go along with it.

just finished the Water Temple and man was it a doosey, who else got to the last part of the trial just to be teleported to the fucking beginning

and damn:
didn't expect Maltran to be in bed with the Lord of Calamity, and Alisha is so attached to her that it a damn cruch to her character; Rose couldn't get a damn word in because Alisha was fucking balling over how much Maltran has been there for her, I was hoping we'd get the option to tell her or not

kewlmyc

Estelle? Alisha?

CNdbn9F.jpg

Abyss is my 2nd favorite Tales game and she's my second most hated character.
"Guy, if you didn't save her, I would have lost all respect for you."
Why would you say that? There was zero reason to say that. Only Anise is worse.

Each character is different for me. I'm also a Kirito fan, so obviously the overpowering characters are not a problem for me. However, when presented with it, you always love a good underdog story and watching a character struggle and word hard to succeed. All I ask is that they are given a decent personality to go along with it.

Is it weird that I was disappointed that Sorey didn't break down from stress at some point? Cause I felt that there were signs pointing to it happening everywhere.
Admittedly, he sort of did during the final boss fight. Losing family that way sucks.
There was definitely a struggle going on though.

Anyway, my definition Of Mary Sue hinges on whether or not the character in question is overpowered enough that it ruins any sort of feeling of tension when it matters (Kirito is a perfect example of this.) Rose...I'm not gonna lie, Rose manages this a few times, but on a smaller scale than what Kirito does. She mainly kills tension via not letting Sorey have to deal with having to mercy kill things, but
he eventually does end up having the resolve to do it himself, so...
Also she's not the protagonist, so a lot of what she does doesn't have the same weight, nor can she do things that are reserved for the protagonist to do. Also, character wise
I can't see her making the same sacrifice Sorey makes at the end of the game at all.

Of course this is just my definition, and I don't like throwing the term around much anyway because of how varied people's definitions are (I was watching a stream of the game the other day and a bunch of people were calling Sorey a Marty Stu which...I'm not all that sure about.)

Also really late edit but:

so·ci·o·path
noun: sociopath; plural noun: sociopaths
a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.

I dunno, would someone who lacked a conscience
look into the people who she's assigned to kill to make sure that she's not killing an innocent person? I mean, The Scattered Bones were assigned to kill Alisha, and that never happened. (Lunarre clearly didn't give a shit.) She also leaves the guy that gave the assignment in the first place alive. Rose's philosophy seems to be stopping people who are so far gone that staying alive would cause nothing but harm to the person themself and everyone around them, hence "May these Weary Bones Find Peaceful Rest" and all that.

Which of course, falls in line with how she handles heavily corrupted Hellions.

Not very far in, just got to the city that floats but I am having fun. Combat will take a minute to get use to as I think I am buttonmashing more than I should.

I have to say the theme song is hype though, was not expecting that at all.

Cornbread78

Ok, wtf is up with this lizard
knight when in the ruin with Rose
? How do you not die in this battle? So frustrating. wtf.

Nvmd, what kinda bullshit difficulty spike was that? Uugghh.

MechaX

I dunno, would someone who lacked a conscience
look into the people who she's assigned to kill to make sure that she's not killing an innocent person? I mean, The Scattered Bones were assigned to kill Alisha, and that never happened. (Lunarre clearly didn't give a shit.) She also leaves the guy that gave the assignment in the first place alive. Rose's philosophy seems to be stopping people who are so far gone that staying alive would cause nothing but harm to the person themself and everyone around them, hence "May these Weary Bones Find Peaceful Rest" and all that.

Which of course, falls in line with how she handles heavily corrupted Hellions.

When considering that people who display sociopathic behaviors can still rationalize, the answer to your overall question is yes, someone who lacked a conscience still would do those things.
The game expects the player to just handwave that issue away with stuff like "Oh, Rose checks into the people she kills to make sure they are not bad" without ever even attempting to adequately answer what criteria Rose even goes by in these determinations. Moreover, bad or not, the simple fact is that Rose is in fact killing people who likely have loved ones or who have family. Does she have doubts or think about those factors more than not at all? Well, the game answers that at least due to the fact that she cannot generate malevolence.

This is much different from someone like Yuri, who in term fully understands the weight of killing another human being, understands the legal and social ramifications of such, and understands what he did is likely going to be very punishment-worthy. Yuri does rationalize it through things like "cutting off an infected part of the whole," but we have Flynn as a direct anti-thesis of that philosophy and Yuri does in fact display doubt.

On the opposite end, the game couldn't even bother to attempt to get Rose anywhere close to that point in any sense of the word, and she comes across as a scapegoat to absolve Sorey of committing bad acts.

Nose Master

Valuables are automatically in effect, right? You don't have to turn them in anywhere or activate them?

EDIT: Completely forgot you could edit fashion accessories. I'm sorry.

9lRzK4Y.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Valuables are automatically in effect, right? You don't have to turn them in anywhere or activate them?

EDIT: Completely forgot you could edit fashion accessories. I'm sorry.

9lRzK4Y.jpg
Now give him the sideburns too

RPGCrazied

I see the idol master costumes, but where is the anime ones?

I see them, LOL @ $10. Wtf? I just want Sorey's. I don't want the ones for the girls.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Costumes came far too late. Game is done now.

Really wish the legacy costumes were regular DLC. Would go back and buy those for battle themes.

P.S. Zaveid's school professor outfit

A) Makes
his hat look acceptable

B) Is awesome

Bladenic

Ok, wtf is up with this lizard
knight when in the ruin with Rose
? How do you not die in this battle? So frustrating. wtf.

Nvmd, what kinda bullshit difficulty spike was that? Uugghh.

Yeah Dragon Newt is a pretty tough boss. Doesn't help that the wind armatization is kinda meh.

Droplet

Okay fuck this, someone help me with the final boss.
Second form: I get that you have to attack him as he's charging up his laser thing and then armatize, but I'm keeping the attacks going and he's still managing to fire it off? I can usually get the first time, just not the second and it's really annoying me. I just want to finish this fucking game not get fucked over by these stupid gimmicks.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Second form: I get that you have to attack him as he's charging up his laser thing and then armatize, but I'm keeping the attacks going and he's still managing to fire it off? I can usually get the first time, just not the second and it's really annoying me. I just want to finish this fucking game not get fucked over by these stupid gimmicks.

I had a hard time at first but it seems like you need to reach 10k damage overall for him to get knocked out.

I don't know if it will help but I used banish blast a lot to reduce his hp faster since it's scales of missing HP.

Faenix1

Is it me or does enemies hardly ever target you? (I do have appeal guard on, or whatever it's called)

Took me 18 hours to finally realize how bad the AI is. Twice now I've failed in two big battles purely cause the enemy targeted my AI allies and they don't know how to defend/sidestep. Doesn't help no matter what I do I can't get the enemies attention instead.
This results in them dying 7+ times which usually means I end the battle with less than 2 grade. ><

Another question: Can you not interrupt item casting? Used a life bottle like an idiot but couldn't interrupt it to side step. So naturally I died against the boss that I spent a good while on already. (Was barely hitting him)

Droplet

I had a hard time at first but it seems like you need to reach 10k damage overall for him to get knocked out.

I don't know if it will help but I used banish blast a lot to reduce his hp faster since it's scales of missing HP.

Thanks to the both of you. Took me a couple more tries but I was able to clear it.

Welp, I liked the game I guess. A lot of it was a bigass mess, but I loved the characters enough that I didn't mind as much, although like others I wish they had been a bit more involved
and not get sidelined in favor of Rose, lol. I liked her though, I wish more Tales heroines could have her agency.
Battle system was fun, but sometimes I felt like I was getting cheated by dumb things like the camera angles, stupid AI, weird slowdowns, etc.

That said, I do think I liked this objectively more than other Tales games I've played. It didn't have the same Tales tropes that tend to make every single plot the same, but on the other hand it gave those up for a plot that was about as straightforward as possible. And the characters didn't necessarily seem to be the same angsty fair as usual
except Dezel lol
, so I genuinely enjoyed them (and Mikleo is the best, hands down). Its battle system definitely feels more involved and at times there are things that are actually challenging (aside from just the artificial challenge of camera angles). The...okay, the dungeon and town designs weren't very good. But still, I don't think I'm getting the same enjoyment out of these games as I did in the past, and I felt my patience being slowly tested by a lot of it. Like I said, I did still like the game, and I would recommend it to other Tales fans, but it would certainly be a strained recommendation to anyone else.

Hope I don't hurt the OT, or this gets lost.

I've never played a Tales, I love the classic JRPGS (not just in age) like FF7-10, Persona 4, Chrono Trigger etc. I'm not saying IS IT AS GOOD!?! but more along the lines of..

Will I like this game? I watch some anime so the style doesn't throw me off. I mean in terms of an overall package, battle system, no tales xp prior, etc.

It seems like its the first great JRPG of the gen, and I don't wanna play catchup later.

Thanks dudes and ladies.

I've never played a Tales, I love the classic JRPGS (not just in age) like FF7-10, Persona 4, Chrono Trigger etc. I'm not saying IS IT AS GOOD!?! but more along the lines of..

Will I like this game? I watch some anime so the style doesn't throw me off. I mean in terms of an overall package, battle system, no tales xp prior, etc.

It seems like its the first great JRPG of the gen, and I don't wanna play catchup later.

Thanks dudes and ladies.
I'll be straight with you.. In my personal opinion this is not the tales game to jump into the series with, I feel like it's going to turn u off from an other wise great rpg series. Story wise I feel it's lacking, the characters aren't really that great, the battle system while is pretty much takes style gets screwed sometimes because of the camera, and the equipment/ skills system is so unnecessarily handled. Again this is all my opinion maybe someone else can chime in.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Thanks dudes and ladies.

Actually I enjoyed the characters but the story is obviously half-assed and cut towards the end. I'd really recommend Tales of Symphonia first. You can go for Graces afterwards (story is simple but it's at least complete compared to this game).

DR2K

Banned
I imagine a Takes of Zestria 2 might have been a thing at one point with Alicia as the main character, but they decided to cut it and make it the DLC.

Falk

that puzzling face

Thanks dudes and ladies.

If you're tolerant of games from that era, Symphonia is probably the best jumping-on point. Great game, but aged horribly in terms of graphics (and graphics mismatch) poorly conveying the aesthetic. (Like FF7)

Or Eternia (nope, not biased here. No siree)

Firestorm

If you're tolerant of games from that era, Symphonia is probably the best jumping-on point. Great game, but aged horribly in terms of graphics (and graphics mismatch) poorly conveying the aesthetic. (Like FF7)

Or Eternia (nope, not biased here. No siree)
I think Vesperia is probably the best bet here unless you mean it would be too hard to go back to Symphonia after it?

kewlmyc

Thanks dudes and ladies.

What consoles do you own? If you're only talking about PS4, then this game probably isn't the best jumping in point for the Tales series since it's very experimental with mixed results and opinions among the community. I'll wait to see how Beseria (the next one) turns out or try your luck on either Tales of Vesperia (360) or Tales of Symphonia (PS3, upcoming PC).

Datschge

Thanks dudes and ladies.
You only list menu driven RPGs, the Tales series are action RPG games with battle systems akin to fighting games. That aside if you like (and never are annoyed of) anime and their tropes you should like most Tales games as overall packages. Which one you'll like more depends on your preferences regarding battle system, overall game design, characters and story.
E.g. as you love classic JRPGs you may prefer having a classic traversable world map? In that case you'll want to look at Tales game like Vesperia and older.

Bladenic

I imagine a Takes of Zestria 2 might have been a thing at one point with Alicia as the main character, but they decided to cut it and make it the DLC.

Doubtful, since the DLC came out 2 weeks after the game. They might've had ideas for a sequel if the game was well-received, but...

SephLuis

Doubtful, since the DLC came out 2 weeks after the game. They might've had ideas for a sequel if the game was well-received, but...

I am going by my memories of the japanese version, but regarding Alisha's epilogue
didn't it ended in a cliffhanger ? I was pretty sure that they left that ending there if they ever wanted to do a Zestiria 2

DR2K

Banned
I am going by my memories of the japanese version, but regarding Alisha's epilogue
didn't it ended in a cliffhanger ? I was pretty sure that they left that ending there if they ever wanted to do a Zestiria 2

Yes it left on a
cliff hanger.

Pics_nao

Playing on PC again and I realized that the OP doesn't play. What gives? I did change it to the Japanese one as soon as I found out that I could.

Khilandros

Playing on PC again and I realized that the OP doesn't play. What gives? I did change it to the Japanese one as soon as I found out that I could.

They added a hash/file check to the game that disables the Jpn version swap trick. Even with that, people found a way to bypass it by using an edited file...I think it is on Nyaa, search for AM_TOZ_OP_001.bk2.

Top Bottom