• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the god awful water temple. I feel like im really jus fighting this out at this point. I want to finish but they only characters i like are edna and meebo(lol). The equipment crap sucks,sorey is..eh and this story isn't what i was expecting

I'm just starting the water temple, can already tell I'm really going to have to force my way through this area, and really hope it gets better after that.

It doesn't help that it's the first major dungeon right after everything opened up. Once upon a time, a game opening up was super exciting for me, but now it just feels like an excuse to waste time backtracking through content you've already seen to stretch the game clock well past the time I'd want to put into any game at this point in my life.

But I still enjoy the story overall and want to push through to the end. It just sucks to ever feel like you're forcing yourself to play a game.

I'm just starting the water temple, can already tell I'm really going to have to force my way through this area, and really hope it gets better after that.

It doesn't help that it's the first major dungeon right after everything opened up. Once upon a time, a game opening up was super exciting for me, but now it just feels like an excuse to waste time backtracking through content you've already seen to stretch the game clock well past the time I'd want to put into any game at this point in my life.

But I still enjoy the story overall and want to push through to the end. It just sucks to ever feel like you're forcing yourself to play a game.
I legit never hated a puzzle in my life it took me 30 minutes to get thru it. I saved right in front of the bosses room i just needed to stop for awhile

Falk

that puzzling face
I wonder how the original ToD holds up. I haven't played it since 1999, I imagine it has aged poorly.

Surprisingly well tbqh.

In my opinion it's Symphonia and games of its ilk from early console 3D which haven't really aged well aesthetically. (This is an opinion I hold for FF7 as well)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I legit never hated a puzzle in my life it took me 30 minutes to get thru it. I saved right in front of the bosses room i just needed to stop for awhile

Indeed.

It's not that even that it's hard to solve, it's just hard to line up where unsafe spots line up on the floor and if you mess up, you're punished so incredibly harshly for it.

If they're going to tune it so you have to very precise in your movements, make it apparent on the floor where you're going to be caught. If you want it to be more hidden to challenge your perceptiveness ability, then tune it so you have some breathing room to get where you need to before the bubble bursts. You just can't have it both ways here.

I don't understand how that could ever get past playtesting.

Zafir

New TZFix is out, texture shimmering is competely gone (add 8x SGSSAA and you get very clean IQ)! But still stutter fix don't work for me, strangely.

https://github.com/Kaldaien/TZF/releases

Just been messing around with this since the shimmering was really annoying me

Sadly, it hasn't removed the shimmering for me, and I've no idea why. :|

The stutterfix on the other hand is causing me weird frame pacing issues where Sorey walks very unsmooth. He'll run super fast for a sec then slow down and keep doing that making it irritating to watch. >.<

Edit: Managed to solve the stutterfix issue. Now just the shimmering that is still rather annoying.

FSLink

Banned
I wonder how the original ToD holds up. I haven't played it since 1999, I imagine it has aged poorly.

It's not too bad. The easy difficulty of the battles and high encounter rate can make things kinda annoying though especially near end-game.

The remake is really the best game in the series and I hope they eventually localize it.

Just got to the repeated fights against
Heldalf
and I actually really liked the pacing and storytelling for that section but did
Symonne really just eat shit and die? And it didn't even like...hurt Rose at all.
If so that's pretty fucking lame.

Zafir

Okay, so I've come to the conclusion the shimmer fix is working for me, it just has some issues. First of all, the starting area/the home of the seraphim still has shimmering, I was testing in that area since it was always the place which was worst for it, consequently that's why I thought it wasn't working. I tested some other areas and the shimmering was mostly gone with the PostProcessRatio set to 1 and Mipmaps set to true. Sadly the Mipmaps was causing some other graphical issues. Meaning I've the choice of some weird graphical blemishes(mainly certain NPC faces and their speech bubble) or putting up with the shimmering in the distance.

Dice//

Banned
Kind of offtopic but does anyone think a second run through of Xillia is worth it going through Milla's route (went with Jude first playthrough)?

Meh.
If you want to replay Xillia then replay Xillia. Don't do it to 'experience' her side, there isn't that much there. You actually (and ironically) get more plot with Jude's side. The chapter Milla is "missing" in Jude's is terrible. You get a sweet alternate costume and you find out more about Alvin (who, IMO, would have made the better MC over the way less interesting Jude).

Nose Master

Fairly early in the game, and just hit a weird road block. It's a mountain dungeon with harpies. They don't kill me or anything cause loltales, but they take forrrreeeeevvvveeerrrr to kill. If I go behind them I get power shots, but it still takes way longer than it should. I just end up transforming every single fight. Hope that's not a requirement going forward.

Kasumin

I know people are still bitter that Alisha isn't permanent but c'mon guys, she's kinda boring and if you set her as the permanent heroine, she'll probably be the worst character in the party. Heck the DLC doesn't even make her that interesting.

Rose is a much much better character.

Alisha was written to be boring, though. That's the writer's fault. No character should get shafted by writing like she did. It reflects badly on the game, not Alisha herself.

Rose is much better? On the surface, sure. But as people have pointed out, once you look beneath the surface
she's one of the least realistic characters in the series. She feels more like a plot device than a person. She makes sure that Sorey never has to face a moral dilemma. And everything she does is perfect and exactly what's needed.

It's kind of sickening. I thought Ludger was bad enough as a Gary Stu, but... they've outdone themselves.

But honestly, I get the sense that people on the Internet by far prefer characters who never have to question themselves or never face serious consequences. Doing either means they lose face and feel bad for awhile and then they just get labeled "whiny" even if they get over it. I see a lot of hate for characters that feel realistic. Maybe it's because I've dealt with depression in the past, but I far prefer characters that make mistakes, feel bad for a bit, and learn from it than those who never significantly develop or never question themselves.

And then Rose comes along and she's praised?
Her entire existence is a huge contradiction that makes no sense. It drives me nuts when the story is written to always agree with a certain character.

I guess I just don't like Rose and never really did. Pompous and morally bankrupt in some ways.

She comes off as a sociopath to me.

I'm not angry about the Alisha, thing. More like baffled and frustrated about the bad writing surrounding her and Rose. It's just like... why?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I know I spent the better part of three pages complaining about Alisha complainers but I guess I'm in the minority when I thought she was an endearing and likable character.

I guess I just don't like Rose and never really did. Pompous and morally bankrupt in some ways.

PKrockin

Fairly early in the game, and just hit a weird road block. It's a mountain dungeon with harpies. They don't kill me or anything cause loltales, but they take forrrreeeeevvvveeerrrr to kill. If I go behind them I get power shots, but it still takes way longer than it should. I just end up transforming every single fight. Hope that's not a requirement going forward.
You can only get power combos by hitting enemy weaknesses--enemy type and element. What direction the enemy's facing doesn't matter like it did in Xillia.

Armatizing is great for a lot of things like HP management and crowd control, but you lose martial artes (a problem against spellcasters or physical defense-weak enemies), weakness coverage, and BG restore rate. In most cases I tend not to armatize unless I'm in trouble. Gotta get those high multiplier power combos.

On another note, I just love timing un-armatization so I get a quick evade at the same time, since it also counts as a sidestep. So satisfying.

Faenix1

And therein lies the weakness of the equipment system. Any time you "upgrade" equipment, it's usually going to be a downgrade unless the stars align and you find something with a decent set of skills, which is always completely random. I hope they never ever use this skill system again.

Guess you're telling me to get over the fact Sorey has a buncha of unions in his gear? lol
Has a bunch of stacks, group unions, and e-unions (or whatever they are called) was happy with his gear. Not sure how long I can hold onto it though.

Probably wouldn't bug me so much if Normins didn't troll you when you find them. Why did they do that? Apparently I'm one of the few "idiots" that assumed that's how they were always gonna work - at least outside the Normin boost thing at the Lord of the Land menu.

MegaPanda

Unless you have an absolutely divine set of skill stacks early on, it's a lot more beneficial to go for the equip with better stats. Pumping defense stats by only 100 or so will have a potent effect on survival and you'll find enough spare equips to put together some cheap but effective 3-4 stacks or something

Tales of Destiny is underappreciated. The PS2 remake is legit the best Tales game. That aerial battle system. The gorgeous 2D. The fun cast and added skits. Elemental talking swords. Ahhhhh! I need to play the special edition some day.

And that amazing first battle theme

Did they fix the problems of the original? The fact that swordians existed made buying weapons completely useless. The story also seemed quite Saturday morning cartoon like. Leon is supposed to be one of the most beloved Tales characters and yet his arc turns out to be disappointing to say the least. I do remember it having good music though. Are you sure this isn't a case of wanting what we can't have making it seem better than it is?

KainXVIII

Just been messing around with this since the shimmering was really annoying me

Sadly, it hasn't removed the shimmering for me, and I've no idea why. :|

The stutterfix on the other hand is causing me weird frame pacing issues where Sorey walks very unsmooth. He'll run super fast for a sec then slow down and keep doing that making it irritating to watch. >.<

Edit: Managed to solve the stutterfix issue. Now just the shimmering that is still rather annoying.

If you have decent (Nvidia) GPU, try this guide

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=539008816

Kasumin

Did they fix the problems of the original? The fact that swordians existed made buying weapons completely useless. The story also seemed quite Saturday morning cartoon like. Leon is supposed to be one of the most beloved Tales characters and yet his arc turns out to be disappointing to say the least. I do remember it having good music though. Are you sure this isn't a case of wanting what we can't have making it seem better than it is?

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Leon is overrated. He's not very well written.

They did fix the original's issues. Swordians have their on upgrade system called the Swordian Device. Everyone else buys weapons normally.

Story is still... Saturday morning cartoon. It's one of the most beloved in the series in Japan, for some reason. They filled in more of the details... a lot of that was done by making Leon look more sympathetic. They even had a "Leon's side" chapter in the Director's Cut. Oh, and they
retcon Leon's heroic sacrifice.

The retcon actually make me dislike Leon more.

In any case, I agree that ToD PS2 combat is great. It's a major reason why I'm sad that they stopped making 2D Tales. "Team Destiny" or whatever (Destiny 2, Rebirth, Graces, Zestiria) do better when working in 2D, IMO. It really shows with Zestiria.

It probably is a case of wanting what we can have, as well. I remember the hype for Project X Zone, Bravely Default, and Type-0... up until we got the games in English.

KainXVIII

I did try that already, doesn't really solve the rest of the shimmering issues. It makes it a bit less noticable by making the shimmering happen on a smaller scale, but it's still there.

Well, frankly i test only one location, maybe there still shimmering in others =(

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Do the Evangelion costumes come with battle themes? At that price point I sure hope they do...

Mendrox

Do the Evangelion costumes come with battle themes? At that price point I sure hope they do...

No the anime themed costumes have no music.

God Eater 2 costumes has music
Idolmaster has music
Legacy costumes have music

I guess that was all? I think there were more, but Evangelion wasn't one of them.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I like both Alisha and Rose. I do agree that Rose comes off as a Mary Sue at many points in the game, but I still enjoy her a lot.

Late game, not related to the above:
Regarding the other character switch, I kind of wish Dezel kicked the bucket earlier, lol. I didn't dislike his character, but Zavied is way more fun.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
No the anime themed costumes have no music.

God Eater 2 costumes has music
Idolmaster has music
Legacy costumes have music

I guess that was all? I think there were more, but Evangelion wasn't one of them.
Shame. I know, licensing and all, but 10€ seems very excessive for five costumes then.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I like both Alisha and Rose. I do agree that Rose comes off as a Mary Sue at many points in the game, but I still enjoy her a lot.

Late game, not related to the above:
Regarding the other character switch, I kind of wish Dezel kicked the bucket earlier, lol. I didn't dislike his character, but Zavied is way more fun.

Yes, definitely a breath of fresh air. Reminded me a lot of good old Cap'n Schwan from Vesperia.

Cornbread78

I'm not far along enough to judge fully just yet, but good first impression. Even if she ends up a Mary Stu, it'll be fine as long as she can carry the swag without being a douche. Maybe I'm still bitter at that super abrupt and awkward Alicia departure.

holysan

I never really cared about the whole issue and since Alicia was the heroine for about 10 hours, it’s hard to understand why anyone would be mad about bamcos pre-release marketing featuring her.

Played the game for bromance,
bromance won in the end
, so I was happy.

Falk

that puzzling face

image.php

Cornbread78

I never really cared about the whole issue and since Alicia was the heroine for about 10 hours, it’s hard to understand why anyone would be mad about bamcos pre-release marketing featuring her.

bromance won in the end
, so I was happy.

Well, the game wasn't even marketed in NA, so it definately wasn't an issue here. I could care less that she leaves the party, but that whole scene was just poorly written and animated. It felt, sounded and looked really really wrong.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm not far along enough to judge fully just yet, but good first impression. Even if she ends up a Mary Stu, it'll be fine as long as she can carry the swag without being a douche. Maybe I'm still bitter at that super abrupt and awkward Alicia departure.
Ah definitely, regardless of some idealization issues Rose is a cool and upbeat character to have around through the game. She's very fun in scenes and skits.

And I agree, the switch was handled in a weird manner and could have been written better. It makes sense in the story, but even if you know it's coming it still feels abrupt when it happens and how the characters talk about it.

sensui-tomo

just got this game as part of the b2g1 deal target had (also got fallout) only time i've been disappointed by a tales game was legendia, its not that bad right?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The story is pretty much the same with some alterations (Kongman/Bruiser, Johnny/Karyl, Mary etc. are now forced into your party) so if you didn't like it the first time you probably won't like it this time. Leon got his own mode in the Director's Cut. They did add a TON of skits, which are all really enjoyable.

As stated above, the Swordian system was fixed and is one of the best changes aside from the totally revamped battle system.

I own and have beaten the game multiple times so I don't think it is a case of wanting what we can't have, haha.

Cornbread78

Ah definitely, regardless of some idealization issues Rose is a cool and upbeat character to have around through the game. She's very fun in scenes and skits.

And I agree, the switch was handled in a weird manner and could have been written better. It makes sense in the story, but even if you know it's coming it still feels abrupt when it happens and how the characters talk about it.

LOL, outside of Edna's "Get a room" comment, the whole scene felt unpolished and almost forced. Everyone was like "Oh yeah, you have to go, see ya!"

like it was nothing... Reallly awkward. Oh well, bring on more Rose....

Quonny

Man, I've had it with this game.

The item system is a complete joke. The leveling system is awful. The title system is abysmal. The balance is completely out of whack with incredibly tanky bosses, god-tier casters, and stun-lock chains for days.

I've never been so disappointed in a Tales game. Why can't they just find what works and tweak the systems instead of throwing everything out then implementing half-baked, obviously half-analyzed systems? It's like every game has a system that is pretty cool conceptually but then gets botched in the execution. For example, the skill system in Zesty. I actually think it's really cool. Stacking, making rows, etc. Nice idea. But then they tie it to gear that cannot be transferred? The fuck. Why not make it so when you MAX a piece of gear you can extract the skills from it to put on your new piece of gear? Instead it's just a massive grind to find the same piece of gear over, and over, and over.

It's such a mess. I'm just gonna send it back, it's just not worth the hassle. First ever Tales game I haven't beaten once I've gotten into it.

demidar

The item system is a complete joke. The leveling system is awful. The title system is abysmal. The balance is completely out of whack with incredibly tanky bosses, god-tier casters, and stun-lock chains for days.

I've never been so disappointed in a Tales game. Why can't they just find what works and tweak the systems instead of throwing everything out then implementing half-baked, obviously half-analyzed systems? It's like every game has a system that is pretty cool conceptually but then gets botched in the execution. For example, the skill system in Zesty. I actually think it's really cool. Stacking, making rows, etc. Nice idea. But then they tie it to gear that cannot be transferred? The fuck. Why not make it so when you MAX a piece of gear you can extract the skills from it to put on your new piece of gear? Instead it's just a massive grind to find the same piece of gear over, and over, and over.

It's such a mess. I'm just gonna send it back, it's just not worth the hassle. First ever Tales game I haven't beaten once I've gotten into it.

I agree with a lot of these. While I still liked the game, there are problems everywhere.

kewlmyc

Same here. I'm probably just going to watch the anime next year instead to see how the story ends. Probaly below Graces and Hearts R now since at least I finished those.

I can appreciate how experimental they were with this game, although it didn't end well.

holysan

At least it's possible to combo the bosses to death, if you exploit their weaknesses, unlike in Xillia where they break out after a few hits.

Kasumin

The reason was legit imo. Sorey was handicapped because of her weak resonance and her country needed her too, she’s a princess after all.

Her face when she learns that Rose is traveling with him now is glorious.

http://i.imgur.com/2sflFqo.jpg

These posts just add more weight to my statement above that people prefer Mary Sues/Gary Stus to actual realistic characters that make mistakes and aren't right all the time.

And what's with this "She's a princess!" excuse for Alisha? Estelle was one, too. She had plenty of time to travel around with Yuri.

Alisha was written to be a bad character. Rose is written as a happy go lucky sociopath that can do no wrong. I'm fine with the characters as the base personalities are fine. What I take issue with is the terrible writing that produced this situation with the plot.

kewlmyc

These posts just add more weight to my statement above that people prefer Mary Sues/Gary Stus to actual realistic characters that make mistakes and aren't right all the time.

And what's with this "She's a princess!" excuse for Alisha? Estelle was one, too. She had plenty of time to travel around with Yuri.

Alisha was written to be a bad character. Rose is written as a happy go lucky sociopath that can do no wrong. I'm fine with the characters as the base personalities are fine. What I take issue with is the terrible writing that produced this situation with the plot.

Estelle was a princess that only stayed in the castle and most people didn't know she existed. Most people know that Alisha is a princess. Going into enemy territory would be dumb as hell for her. If they would have just kept it at that, it would have been better than the stupid
"haha, Sorey's going blind because you're weighing him down."

Same here. I'm probably just going to watch the anime next year instead to see how the story ends. Probaly below Graces and Hearts R now since at least I finished those.

I can appreciate how experimental they were with this game, although it didn't end well.

I trudged through it and then traded it in toward Fallout 4. I didn't hate Zestiria, but I know I'm not going to be playing it again. And that's all because of the skill system.

Top Bottom