• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Cornbread78

I played for 8 hours or so at 60 FPS today (still runs fine at 4k), and I have to say it makes an almost transformative difference. I'm not too hung up on framerate usually (unlike IQ), but between the fast-paced battle system, the art style and how the effects are handled the difference here is surprisingly huge.

It's a perfect example of how smoother framerate can not just play but also look a lot better.
(Also, the title is outdated :p)

OT|Sorey, modders do what Bamco don't

Wish they could patch the console version, lol.

SephLuis

I beat the Alisha DLC in 2 hours with the ng+

The dungeon was awful

If you didn't get it free through bamco eu don't bother please.

The whole epilogue was awful. Playing with her isn't fun, the dungeon is boring, the bosses aren't interesting and the "closure" also felt underwhelming.

It's free and it didn't cost nothing expect two/three hours of my life.

Frillen

So my first Tale since Vesperia.

A question, can some explain what Battle Actions are? I have Auto Sidestep and Snipe Charge active, but does it matter if I have the play style on manual?

Also, what is Snack Preperation? Does the character make healing items while on the move?

Is martial artes the same as base artes, and hidden artes is the same as arcane artes?

kewlmyc

I played for 8 hours or so at 60 FPS today (still runs fine at 4k), and I have to say it makes an almost transformative difference. I'm not too hung up on framerate usually (unlike IQ), but between the fast-paced battle system, the art style and how the effects are handled the difference here is surprisingly huge.

It's a perfect example of how smoother framerate can not just play but also look a lot better.
(Also, the title is outdated :p)

Still applies to the console versions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tauke

So my first Tale since Vesperia.

A question, can some explain what Battle Actions are? I have Auto Sidestep and Snipe Charge active, but does it matter if I have the play style on manual?

Also, what is Snack Preperation? Does the character make healing items while on the move?

Is martial artes the same as base artes, and hidden artes is the same as arcane artes?

My last Tales game is Vesperia too so hope I got this right from my playthrough in Zestiria.

Battle actions are like Skills in Vesperia. You activate your choice of BA and just keep in mind of the max AP you have as different BA have different amount of AP requirements.

Although unlike the skills system in Vesperia which you unlock or equip through weapon/armour, BA is unlocked as you level up? Not so sure on this and BA is different than the skills found on equipments.

Snack preparation works exactly as your description. You walk a certain amount of distance to create a new snack.

Cornbread78

Ok, so I finally got to the Fire
shrine
I hate how they give you hints on how to approach the battle AFTER the boss is killing you, lol.

I wonder if a mod would update the title, lol

Durante

Call me juvenile, but I really enjoy the way Zestiria was translated compared to the previous Tales games I played.

screenshot_2015-11-13rariu.png

Klossen

Banned
Call me juvenile, but I really enjoy the way Zestiria was translated compared to the previous Tales games I played.

Stupid memes. Nobody will get that joke a year or so from now when the meme is dead. I don't really see the appeal in those Internet jokes and why localizers insist on including them.

Holmes

Quick question about Dezel:
Do the stat enhancements from herbs used on him transfer to Zaveid? Or should I not waste them on him?

The translation is well done. I don't mind them having fun with it on some of the descriptions, especially something cosmetic like that.

I just completed the four trials and progressed a little further after that. I have a story question that I am hoping someone might be able to clarify for me at this point:
Is it ever really made clear how Dezel turned the royal guy into a hellion? The flashback just had the mysterious purple haired girl say "it was you that made him a hellion" or something along those lines, and didn't explain how it happened, which made it all seem sort of flat. I'm hoping I just missed something.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So how is the 60fps patch working now? Is the likelyhood of running into game breaking bugs to a minimum?

MilkBeard

About 15 hours into the game. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The battle system gets better when
you get another character in battle who can armatize
. Makes a big difference. It's cool to see the AI do it on its own.

So far I would say this game is on par with Xillia, with its own positives and negatives when comparing the two. I'm glad map design has improved, that's for sure.

Bladenic

The translation is well done. I don't mind them having fun with it on some of the descriptions, especially something cosmetic like that.

I just completed the four trials and progressed a little further after that. I have a story question that I am hoping someone might be able to clarify for me at this point:
Is it ever really made clear how Dezel turned the royal guy into a hellion? The flashback just had the mysterious purple haired girl say "it was you that made him a hellion" or something along those lines, and didn't explain how it happened, which made it all seem sort of flat. I'm hoping I just missed something.

Something about
not wanting Rose to get married and wanting to continue traveling.

Haven't been following the OP. With the title change, are there actually any noteworthy mods for the game?

60 FPS mod, there is a thread about it on here if you search for it. Completely changes the game for the better.

Something about
not wanting Rose to get married and wanting to continue traveling.

Ah that's weak, but probably makes sense. Wish they took longer than a minute long cut scene to flesh that out.

I'm
post Dezel, didn't come as a surprise because the CE came with an artbook and two of the pics Zaveid wearing Dezel's hat, also I didn't really feel bad as his quest for revenge was so stupid to me, should've just told Rose and things probably wouldn't turned out that way. Beside I like Zaveid better

I don't miss Alisha one bit Rose is just better well mostly because she can
armatize
if Alisha did that then it would be awesome

I don't miss Alisha one bit Rose is just better well mostly because she can
armatize
if Alisha did that then it would be awesome
This is what made her DLC chapter painful. It's "her" DLC and the idea was obviously to bring her back into the group to appease people, but she's miserable to control in combat in that setting. Really wanted to stick with her but eventually had to give up and switch to Rose. Add-on impact is that the battles become far more difficult, especially bosses.

Overall the DLC was okay, but I can agree with sentiments that it's not worth actually paying for. The first half hour with the actual cutscenes, skits and banter is fine, but once you finish the first (smaller) dungeon's boss and Alicia gets that closure, forget it.

Paltheos

So how is the 60fps patch working now? Is the likelyhood of running into game breaking bugs to a minimum?

Glorious. The smoothness...! :)

I have encountered a bug I hadn't seen before installing the 1.0.3 patch - Sometimes Sorey's cape clips through his body in cutscenes, after he comes to a full stop from movement other than a slow walk. It's happened only a couple times so far (I played only a couple hours today) and is fixed any time there's a cut by the camera. Still distracting.

Durante

There's one game breaking bug known, you have to disable 60 FPS on your first visit to Lastonbell. It's a pretty tiny price to pay given just how much better the game plays and looks at 60 FPS.

Haven't been following the OP. With the title change, are there actually any noteworthy mods for the game?
In addition to the 60 FPS mod, you can also fix flickering due to low-res postprocessing and increase character shadow detail to be on par with the environment (I did that last one).

Stupid memes. Nobody will get that joke a year or so from now when the meme is dead. I don't really see the appeal in those Internet jokes and why localizers insist on including them.
Because it's amusing.

You're juvenile.
Yep.

TheTrain

Yeah the 60FPS mod is a must now, a world of difference.
I mean, we all know that there is a world of difference between the two solution but...in a fast paced game like Zestiria the improvement is astonishing.
After 40hrs at 30FPS it's a shock, honestly :p

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
lol @ new title.

Finally sat down to play with the fix and goddamn. As I said before I already beat the game, but I'm still doing optional content and will do a second run after that. I'm almost glad I played on 30FPS first so I can appreciate this better haha. I didn't have a problem with the game in 30FPS, but this looks and plays so much better. The arte effects look glorious.

Tizoc

There's one game breaking bug known, you have to disable 60 FPS on your first visit to Lastonbell. It's a pretty tiny price to pay given just how much better the game plays and looks at 60 FPS.

In addition to the 60 FPS mod, you can also fix flickering due to low-res postprocessing and increase character shadow detail to be on par with the environment (I did that last one).

Because it's amusing.

Yep.

If it's only that area, I may just play in 30 FPS, then after that part switch to 60 FPS.

Durante

Yeah the 60FPS mod is a must now, a word of difference.
I mean, we all know that there is a word of difference between the two solution but...in a fast paced game like Zestiria the improvement is astonishing.
After 40hrs at 30FPS it's a shock, honestly :p
Yeah, as I said earlier, I'm not even that much of a "60 FPS or bust" person, but the difference in Zestiria is really massive.

heringer

Yeah, as I said earlier, I'm not even that much of a "60 FPS or bust" person, but the difference in Zestiria is really massive.

It completely changed my stance on the game. I dropped it around 8 hours in, but after trying the mod I'm really enjoying it.

I lost it when Sorey said early in the game that, "Dinner was off the chain!"

EDIT:

Ayyyy, just noticed the thread title change used my "Bamcouldn't". I finally have a GAF legacy.

squall211

There's one game breaking bug known, you have to disable 60 FPS on your first visit to Lastonbell. It's a pretty tiny price to pay given just how much better the game plays and looks at 60 FPS..

Sorry, do you mean the first time you visit Lastonbell during the story, or the first time you visit Lastonbell after using the mod?

DrDaxxy

Neo Member

I don't like them either, but if nothing else, it shows that a game's a localisation and not merely a literal translation. Which is IMO a good thing if you don't go overboard with it Ace Attorney style.

kewlmyc

Where are the mods for this one? Do they work with TZFix 1.0.3?

Top Bottom