• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

Stulaw

I'm on the final boss
the part where Heldalf is fused with Maotelus, and I got the him using the ulimate attack before I'm able to stun him a 3rd time, and the game glitched out, showing his legs and tail, I couldn't do any damage to him and lost.

Was the
Maltran
fight a bad joke? Y'all gonna take
Rose
away from me and replace
her
with this
basic-ass princess that can't even armatize
? Come ooooon, Bamco.

Was the
Maltran
fight a bad joke? Y'all gonna take
Rose
away from me and replace
her
with this
basic-ass princess that can't even armatize
? Come ooooon, Bamco.
Duudddeee i was like dafuq!?
Get this scrub squire out of here!! She died so many times

Thoraxes

Lol. So it's another Shiina track, alright. Here it is standalone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryo_Os-sanw

Really hope he composes for Berseria too.

The difference between his stuff and Sakuraba's stuff is so drastic in this game lol

Sakuraba should take off his limiters for Berseria cause he's sure done better work than the stuff he's done for Tales games (as of recent). I liked Sakuraba's Zesty output, but Go Shiina's stuff was outclassed his efforts in every way for this title, imo.

Vamphuntr

The 60 FPS mod is so good. Night and day difference. Just reached the fire shrine. The music there reminded me a lot of Wild Arms for some reason. It was great!

Alucrid

Banned
Call me juvenile, but I really enjoy the way Zestiria was translated compared to the previous Tales games I played.

screenshot_2015-11-13rariu.png

i forgot where it was said, maybe 8-4, but some localization team talked about memes and how they're put into games. that if you're going to use one it should make sense to both those that recognize the meme and those that don't. like persona 4's "i'm an expert" meme. if you've read that post you know what it's about. if you haven't it still makes sense. here if you don't know doge it's just nonsense.

The difference between his stuff and Sakuraba's stuff is so drastic in this game lol

Namco should take off Sakuraba's limiters for Berseria cause he's sure done better work than the stuff he's done for Tales games (as of recent). I liked Sakuraba's Zesty output, but Go Shiina's stuff was outclassed his efforts in every way for this title, imo.

Fixed.

squall211

i forgot where it was said, maybe 8-4, but some localization team talked about memes and how they're put into games. that if you're going to use one it should make sense to both those that recognize the meme and those that don't. like persona 4's "i'm an expert" meme. if you've read that post you know what it's about. if you haven't it still makes sense. here if you don't know doge it's just nonsense.

Yeah, I didn't (and still don't) have any idea what that meme refers to.

Lmao. That fight is the only reason I've ever needed to buy more life bottles after a boss. Died six or seven times for me.
Exactly it was a nightmare.
I forgot she couldn't aramatize because i was like ok im going to switch back and forth and make use like i always do..switched i was like...oh..oh shit! Lol it was funny

Datschge

Sakuraba should take off his limiters for Berseria cause he's sure done better work than the stuff he's done for Tales games (as of recent). I liked Sakuraba's Zesty output, but Go Shiina's stuff was outclassed his efforts in every way for this title, imo.
Not that it's hard at all to outclass synthesizers, self-recorded instruments and short loops with an army of musicians, lengthy arrangements and lush production values. Sakuraba's "limiter" with Tales always has been the budget given to him, and it's most obvious in Zestiria being joined by another composer with an off-limit budget only for him for whatever reason.

That fight went pretty smooth for me once I realized Crimson Edge could stagger the boss.

Did you just spam it over and over? I also noticed fire attacks were somewhat effective, but I'm so used to using arte>higher arte>higher arte combos that I'd just let Crimson Edge turn into Raging Winds and then she'd punish me.

Exactly it was a nightmare.
I forgot she couldn't aramatize because i was like ok im going to switch back and forth and make use like i always do..switched i was like...oh..oh shit! Lol it was funny

Haha, same here. On my first try, I kept mashing L2+L1, trying to make her armatize while I was controlling Sorey.

Zafir

I'm inclined to agree. That meme was just totally lost on me(not surprising I don't follow memes at all) and so it just means absolutely nothing to me.

Did you just spam it over and over? I also noticed fire attacks were somewhat effective, but I'm so used to using arte>higher arte>higher arte combos that I'd just let Crimson Edge turn into Raging Winds and then she'd punish me.

I tend to use Crimson Edge as an opener, but I didn't try going into Raging Winds afterwards. I think I'd usually go into Sorey's right Martial Artes combo with the occasional Cantering Flames. I might do an all Fire combo like Crimson Edge -> Sword Flare -> Cantering Flames -> Searing Gale. My team members were also acting pretty offensive for most of the fight so after getting a stagger in with Crimson Edge, everyone would basically attack at once. I'm only playing on moderate, though.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Those are part of TZFix, and enabled by default.

Ah really? The textures still flicker for me with the default settings although I guess it looks more like shimmering? Only really see it on the grass outside as someone who hasn't gone past the opening areas. (planning on starting proper later.)

I tend to use Crimson Edge as an opener, but I didn't try going into Raging Winds afterwards. I think I'd usually go into Sorey's right Martial Artes combo with the occasional Cantering Flames. I might do an all Fire combo like Crimson Edge -> Sword Flare -> Cantering Flames -> Searing Gale. My team members were also acting pretty offensive for most of the fight so after getting a stagger in with Crimson Edge, everyone would basically attack at once. I'm only playing on moderate, though.

Ah, that's good to know.. Hadn't really been thinking about crafting my combos like that.

And I'm also playing on moderate. I think I'm just worse than you are, heh.

Ah, that's good to know.. Hadn't really been thinking about crafting my combos like that.

And I'm also playing on moderate. I think I'm just worse than you are, heh.

Probably not. This is the first time I'm playing a Tales game on any difficulty except normal for my first playthrough, and I feel like I might have gotten a bit lucky with that particular boss fight. A lot of the bonus bosses have been a bit of a pain for me, especially the ones who can Petrify. >.>

Probably not. This is the first time I'm playing a Tales game on any difficulty except normal for my first playthrough, and I feel like I might have gotten a bit lucky with that particular boss fight. A lot of the bonus bosses have been a bit of a pain for me, especially the ones who can Petrify. >.>
The gorgon sisters!! Ugh f off with those chicks

Ugh, tell me about it. Avoiding petrification as a player isn't even hard, but the AI will just sit there and take it and drag your party down with them. From what I've read, a 6-stack skill will give you immunity, but the thought of re-working all of my equipment for one fight makes me nauseous.

I've learned you dont know just bad you are at tales of until you talk to someone else who plays tales of lol.

That's... most Japanese action games for me, lol. I didn't even realize there was any depth to Tales combat outside of button mashing until Xillia came out. And I've been playing these games since Symphonia in middle school... -_-

Ugh, tell me about it. Avoiding petrification as a player isn't even hard, but the AI will just sit there and take it and drag your party down with them. From what I've read, a 6-stack skill will give you immunity, but the thought of re-working all of my equipment for one fight makes me nauseous.

That's... most Japanese action games for me, lol. I didn't even realize there was any depth to Tales combat outside of button mashing until Xillia came out. And I've been playing these games since Symphonia in middle school... -_-
Thats the thing go symphonia,abyss and vesperia(the GOATS) were all easy to learn imo. It wasn't until graces things got a lil complicated.

Firestorm

There's a battle action you can unlock for that. You just hold L2 + a direction on the d-pad to choose her seraph. Unfortunately, I can't remember what it's called at the moment.
Oh I had to do 100+ battles on Moderate or higher to unlock that. I put it back to Normal after getting frustrated at a difficulty spike on a boss. I guess I'll just put it back to Moderate for a bit.

Edit: Oh I've had it all this time and just didn't realize x.x

Soriku

lol the scene when you arrive in Lastonbell was pretty funny. The seraphim being invisible makes for some silly dynamics.

I'm 19 hours in. Some general gameplay comments:

-I feel like they made the game overcomplicated with fusing, skills, the million different nuances in battle (like opposing artes, status effects tied to elements, different bonuses from doing a variety of things), and whatever else. Monoliths are EVERYWHERE and they explain tons of subsystems, but realistically no one's going to memorize anything. I doubt you really need to anyway. Just feels like they put all this depth in the game that no one's going to pay attention to or appreciate.

-The Windstep skill is pretty interesting. You can temporarily increase your movement speed (by a lot) by fighting battles (or in towns, just by hearing people talk. Getting around town is more convenient now). It runs out somewhat quickly though so you need to keep fighting to keep your speed up since the more fights you string while the skill is activated, the faster you get. It's a good incentive to keep fighting. I know Xillia 2 had the dash you can use at any time, but you can really only move quickly in a straight line. Zestiria is more flexible, and I think Windstep might be faster than the dash at top speeds?

-Maps are much more interesting than Xillia even if they're a bit empty. Still I'd take emptiness over copy/paste.

-It seems like there's going to be a major backtracking session I need to do once the game opens up. For now it's linear, but pretty much every area has places you can't reach or chests you can't open without a certain key, so I'll need to explore each area over again to make sure I collect everything. Not really a bad thing though. I also haven't defeated any Gigantos/major hellions that I've seen since they've been too tough.

-The title system is kinda lame. I've left the titles on autopilot and haven't seen any need to switch between titles since the default ones for each character seem to work best anyway? There's nothing I've had to fiddle with yet.

Also the story is OK so far. The cast is pretty good though, especially the seraphim.

Durante

But does it matter? It's the item description of a non-functional item.

Anyway...
screenshot_2015-11-14mdueo.jpg

-I feel like they made the game overcomplicated with fusing, skills, the million different nuances in battle (like opposing artes, status effects tied to elements, different bonuses from doing a variety of things), and whatever else. Monoliths are EVERYWHERE and they explain tons of subsystems, but realistically no one's going to memorize anything. I doubt you really need to anyway. Just feels like they put all this depth in the game that no one's going to pay attention to or appreciate.
It's a bit much in the beginning, but at this point (~40 hours in) I don't think there's any part of the mechanics that I don't remember. I prefer systems to be a bit overwhelming at the start compared to there being nothing left to discover / improve 5 hours in.

Soriku

Lailah: But he's so pure.

Dezel: A pure idiot.

lmao, Dezel too savage. The birds with stones skit after that was great too.

KainXVIII

Ha, this, Bamco trying a little too hard to be jrpg equivalent of Dmc.

-Maps are much more interesting than Xillia even if they're a bit empty. Still I'd take emptiness over copy/paste.
Optional (and not only) ruins, caves on forests are copy/paste though, maybe layout is a little different but still they looks all same to me

Firestorm

Petrification is bullshit.
I still can't get the Mystic Arts to activate manually, especially for Edna. I'very tried 1 million times with no luck, wtf.
For some reason half the time I press the button combination at 4+ BG and it just does a Blast Arte or whatever they call it using up 1 guage :( Super frustrating.

DrDaxxy

Neo Member
For some reason half the time I press the button combination at 4+ BG and it just does a Blast Arte or whatever they call it using up 1 guage :( Super frustrating.

Is there any way to turn this off? I feel really apprehensive about trying to use Mystic Artes when armatized for this reason.

Petrification is bullshit.For some reason half the time I press the button combination at 4+ BG and it just does a Blast Arte or whatever they call it using up 1 guage :( Super frustrating.

Is there any way to turn this off? I feel really apprehensive about trying to use Mystic Artes when armatized for this reason.

The only way I've manage to avoid this is by consciously avoiding comboing into a mystic arte. I'll occasionally roll with two hits, but if I ever get to three, I just let it play out and go for another single attack before activating. Sometimes that doesn't work and it starts doing the R2 healing arte instead, but at least you can just quickstep to cancel it in that scenario.

-The Windstep skill is pretty interesting. You can temporarily increase your movement speed (by a lot) by fighting battles (or in towns, just by hearing people talk. Getting around town is more convenient now). It runs out somewhat quickly though so you need to keep fighting to keep your speed up since the more fights you string while the skill is activated, the faster you get. It's a good incentive to keep fighting. I know Xillia 2 had the dash you can use at any time, but you can really only move quickly in a straight line. Zestiria is more flexible, and I think Windstep might be faster than the dash at top speeds?

Try setting Windstepping as the support talent for two of your party members instead of one. I did that yesterday and it lasts SO LONG. I legit managed to stay at the top speed for like two hours and through three dungeons because the timing was so lenient. It's great.

kewlmyc

So had a chance to check out the 1.0.3 mod and play 2 hours or so. Makes a massive improvement, but the only problems I noticed were some soldiers glitching slightly when you talk to Sergei about the false Shepard, and when in battle there is now massive slowdown when I use the Mikleo armatization. The weirdest part is that steam shows that game is still 60fps when that happens. Odd.

DrDaxxy

Neo Member
So had a chance to check out the 1.0.3 mod and play 2 hours or so. Makes a massive improvement, but the only problems I noticed were some soldiers glitching slightly when you talk to Sergei about the false Shepard, and when in battle there is now massive slowdown when I use the Mikleo armatization. The weirdest part is that steam shows that game is still 60fps when that happens. Odd.

The game intentionally hangs when you land hits to make those hits feel heavier (this is especially apparent and feels a lot better when you use a controller, which will rumble in sync) - it's not a framerate drop and happens with all characters, even at 30 FPS, it's just most noticeable with the water armatisation.

I'm not sure whether that just sticks out a lot more in 60 FPS - as the game "hangs" for the same amount of time upon hits, but everything else is much smoother - or this is actually a bug that makes those hangs take longer.

I've read a couple reviews and have a pretty good idea of what to expect, but I only have one pressing concern I'm hoping that someone here can address: Does this game pull a Tales of Xillia and have a twist that's just
the exact same twist from Tales of Symphonia but done poorly?

I've read a couple reviews and have a pretty good idea of what to expect, but I only have one pressing concern I'm hoping that someone here can address: Does this game pull a Tales of Xillia and have a twist that's just
the exact same twist from Tales of Symphonia but done poorly?

Nope. Zestiria's poorly-done twists are mostly new to the Tales series as far as I can tell. Or at least they aren't as heavily reminiscent of any other Tales games
like Xillia was.

Soriku

Try setting Windstepping as the support talent for two of your party members instead of one. I did that yesterday and it lasts SO LONG. I legit managed to stay at the top speed for like two hours and through three dungeons because the timing was so lenient. It's great.

I just got it for Mikleo...sounds like a good idea.

Any other actions worth stacking?

..... The hell with stupid Iris gems collecting -_-

I have two purple stars left on my locations list and the two locations are
Westronbolt Gorge and Zaphgott Moor
, but when I go to these locations I find no mark on the map... So I talked to Rose and every possible NPC and yet nothing not even a single clue :/

How to find these two last annoying gems?

Help ;_;

Edit:
I think I figured out how to collect them!

Pics_nao

Collecting the rest of the Iris gems as part of the story. Thank fuck I went out of my way and got as many as possible before I reached this part.

Where can I get peacock feathers? Wasn't paying attention when the guy was talking about them.

Bladenic

Collecting the rest of the Iris gems as part of the story. Thank fuck I went out of my way and got as many as possible before I reached this part.

Where can I get peacock feathers? Wasn't paying attention when the guy was talking about them.

Yeah, I'm really surprised I haven't seen people go mad at that. Because if you don't collect them all throughout the game, you'd have a shit ton of dungeons to go to through. Wind Waker's triforce collection would be baby stuff compared to that.

Wait... How many Iris Gems I need to collect before progressing the main story?

So far I collected
, are there more? Because I don't see any purple stars marked in my location list anymore.

Beside how many hours left... I already feel bored.

Wait... How many Iris Gems I need to collect before progressing the main story?

So far I collected
, are there more? Because I don't see any purple stars marked in my location list anymore.

Beside how many hours left... I already feel bored.

Three more.

Luckily the gem quests were at least somewhat interesting. Managed to keep up with them while doing the main story and was surprised when they turned out to be a requirement.

Cornbread78

Three more.

Luckily the gem quests were at least somewhat interesting. Managed to keep up with them while doing the main story and was surprised when they turned out to be a requirement.

Uggh, so I pretty much have to back-track quite a bit because I don;t think I've done anyof them so far. The first time I even saw the purple star was in the cavern and I didn;t have Edna's skill yet. Now that I have that, I gues I have to go back through the cavern and get it...

Nope. Zestiria's poorly-done twists are mostly new to the Tales series as far as I can tell. Or at least they aren't as heavily reminiscent of any other Tales games
like Xillia was.

Well, can't say I'm glad to hear that Zestiria's twist is poorly done, but I like the Tales formula enough to where I'm willing to put up with almost any kind of crap.
I guess I just found Xillia's rehash to be so offensive because Symphonia is my favorite game of all time.
Thanks.

It seems that for now Alisha's Story cannot be purchased from the Steam Store.

As I mentioned in my previous post, there exists a slight problem in the DLC's Steam version where players are not given an option to save a Clear Game file at the end of the DLC (to transfer data from the DLC to the main game). What this also meant that players who overwrote their main game save with Alisha's Story save, could no longer restart the main game with their current progress, essentially the DLC becoming a "point of no return".

I guess the outcry in the DLC's reviews helped to bring the matter to a light. We can only hope this means Namco is going to address the problem to make the DLC behave like it does on consoles.

Top Bottom