• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria |OT| - Sorey, Modders did what Bamcouldn't!

The cutscene near the end of the game right before the optional boss fight against
Dark Turtlez
killed me. And then the boss killed me because it seems way stronger than the other bonus bosses I've fought so far. I don't care, though, because that cutscene was worth it.

kewlmyc

It seems that for now Alisha's Story cannot be purchased from the Steam Store.

As I mentioned in my previous post, there exists a slight problem in the DLC's Steam version where players are not given an option to save a Clear Game file at the end of the DLC (to transfer data from the DLC to the main game). What this also meant that players who overwrote their main game save with Alisha's Story save, could no longer restart the main game with their current progress, essentially the DLC becoming a "point of no return".

I guess the outcry in the DLC's reviews helped to bring the matter to a light. We can only hope this means Namco is going to address the problem to make the DLC behave like it does on consoles.

Wow, I hope they fix that soon.

Well, can't say I'm glad to hear that Zestiria's twist is poorly done, but I like the Tales formula enough to where I'm willing to put up with almost any kind of crap.
I guess I just found Xillia's rehash to be so offensive because Symphonia is my favorite game of all time.
Thanks.

Honestly, this game didn't even feel like it even had any twists to me, aside from one at the 2/3 point. The few things that normally would have been set up as a major twist in any other game were so obvious in this one that not even the characters were surprised by them.

Although it's not like Symphonia was the first in the series to have the whole
two worlds/spirit gathering elements to save everyone.
TBH between the two Xillia's I felt it at least handled the whole spirits involvment in the story better than the other games in the series that had them did, even if the
two worlds part was done more poorly.

Khilandros

Nice! They are going to fix the Alisha DLC bug

https://steamcommunity.com/games/351970/announcements/detail/38641078506051553

------------
Issues with the game saves related to the Alisha's Conviction DLC
24 November - Kimundi
Hey Tales Of Fans,

Thank you so much for your devotion and dedication for Tales of Zestiria on PC.

We are aware of some issues with the game saves related to the Alisha's Conviction DLC. The cause has been identified and we are currently working on a patch.

We will share any updates with you as soon as possible.

Please stay tuned to this thread for updates.

Thank you
--------------

That guy is always ridiculously strong in Tales games.

I don't remember that fight being as bad in Graces, though in that case the boss was in the postgame dungeon and I was playing on normal. I might have also waited to tackle the postgame dungeon until after finishing the future arc.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So I've hit the Water Temple.

I'm now very seriously considering uninstalling this. Whoever designed this area should be let go, game design isn't their vocation.

I'm now very seriously considering uninstalling this. Whoever designed this area should be let go, game design isn't their vocation.
Its not that bad. That temple is one of the best tales dungeons.
I quit for two days because of it, i was already not feeling this tales that temple made me take a step back for awhile

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Nice! They are going to fix the Alisha DLC bug

https://steamcommunity.com/games/351970/announcements/detail/38641078506051553

------------
Issues with the game saves related to the Alisha's Conviction DLC
24 November - Kimundi
Hey Tales Of Fans,

Thank you so much for your devotion and dedication for Tales of Zestiria on PC.

We are aware of some issues with the game saves related to the Alisha's Conviction DLC. The cause has been identified and we are currently working on a patch.

We will share any updates with you as soon as possible.

Please stay tuned to this thread for updates.

Thank you
--------------
Good to know. I'll wait for the fix since I haven't started the DLC yet.

Check the amount of wall-eyes and floor marks when you enter a room. Walk in a straight line and keep in mind that the power only lasts for two squares. Quick save before you enter a new room.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Check the amount of wall-eyes and floor marks when you enter a room. Walk in a straight line and keep in mind that the power only lasts for two squares. Quick save before you enter a new room.

Oh I understand the mechanics and have been abusing the quick saves, but it's still a titanic pain the dick.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Oh I understand the mechanics and have been abusing the quick saves, but it's still a titanic pain the dick.
Yeah, imo it would have been enough if mistakes teleported you to the start of each given room instead of the start of the dungeon.

The Water Trial wasn't as bad as I expected once I noticed the floor tiles and how each bubble lasts for 2 tiles. The warps help a bit too.

Using a Holy Bottle also helps.

Fauve

Just beat the game. I have a question about the ending if anyone knows:

How did the Seraphs get brought back after being fired by Siegfried? If they came back then where's Dezel?

Edit:
Playing through the Alisha DLC right now, I guess it'll be explained.

Firestorm

Just finished the game now as well. That ending was... odd? I'll go through Alisha's Story later this week and hopefully it's got something there to help make sense of
why the Seraphim were back or why Sorey is randomly appearing out of the blue at a ruin that Mikleo is exploring in the far future

My favourite moment of the game was probably about 80% of the way in or so where
you fight the dragon in the middle of the battlefield. Really awesome battle set to some great music. It got the sense of scale just right.

Fauve

Just finished the game now as well. That ending was... odd? I'll go through Alisha's Story later this week and hopefully it's got something there to help make sense of
why the Seraphim were back or why Sorey is randomly appearing out of the blue at a ruin that Mikleo is exploring in the far future

My favourite moment of the game was probably about 80% of the way in or so where
you fight the dragon in the middle of the battlefield. Really awesome battle set to some great music. It got the sense of scale just right.

I just assumed that Sorey purified the world and in like the FAR FAR future he woke up. And yeah, that fight with Tiamat was amazing. I also really liked the final one on one showdown between Sorey and Heldalf.

Firestorm

I just assumed that Sorey purified the world and in like the FAR FAR future he woke up. And yeah, that fight with Tiamat was amazing. I also really liked the final one on one showdown between Sorey and Heldalf.

I was thinking how I hadn't had a 1v1 yet when it happened as it's pretty traditional in Tales games haha. I was a little let down because it didn't come close to being as cool for me as Abyss and Vesperia (both of which included the best track of their respective games) but still nice it is own right. Was kinda glad I didn't have to go all the way and the Mystic Arte ended it. Was a little tired by that point!

KainXVIII

Beat Water temple and i don't get what so hard or terrible about it (there is quicksave function for reason), Shin Megami Tensei dungeons are much harder, even OOT is harder.

Firestorm

Beat Water temple and i don't get what so hard or terrible about it (there is quicksave function for reason), Shin Megami Tensei dungeons are much harder, even OOT is harder.
Tedious doesn't necessarily mean hard. Quick Save function is there for a reason, but this isn't the reason. We used Quick Save to get around shitty game design.

Fauve

I was thinking how I hadn't had a 1v1 yet when it happened as it's pretty traditional in Tales games haha. I was a little let down because it didn't come close to being as cool for me as Abyss and Vesperia (both of which included the best track of their respective games) but still nice it is own right. Was kinda glad I didn't have to go all the way and the Mystic Arte ended it. Was a little tired by that point!

Heh, forgetting Sergei near the beginning?And yeah he definitely had too much health lol. I think I got him to like 75% and I was feeling tired.

Cornbread78

Damn that
Beast Master
in Pendrago, WTF..

Is there a trick to beating this guy?
Medusa
was easy, then I get to this guy...

Not sure if I'm just doing something wrong, but I'm getting real tired of Zestiria's boss fights. They're more annoying than they are difficult. It often doesn't even take a full combo from a boss to K.O. a member of the party. I can dodge and guard my way through well enough, but the brain-dead party AI just stands there and takes it. I've had more than a few solid runs on bosses ruined because fucking Mikleo or Lailah decided to start casting right next to the boss and got wiped out immediately, or because armatized Rose didn't take the time to heal herself despite having 6+ BG.

Firestorm

Not sure if I'm just doing something wrong, but I'm getting real tired of Zestiria's boss fights. They're more annoying than they are difficult. It often doesn't even take a full combo from a boss to K.O. a member of the party. I can dodge and guard my way through well enough, but the brain-dead party AI just stands there and takes it. I've had a more than a few solid runs on bosses ruined because fucking Mikleo or Lailah decided to start casting right next to the boss and got wiped out immediately, or because armatized Rose didn't take the time to heal herself despite having 6+ BG.

I set the settings to what's in Post #7 in this thread and it helped a bit I think: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/740217-tales-of-zestiria/72707689/834829072

I think the AI somehow got worse for Alisha's Story.

ajim

Just started playing the game, looks fun and lush at the moment and boy did I feel pumped up when I pulled that sword out and became a Shepherd! Pumped me right up!

Hoping it stays good from here on out!

I'm having a super tough time in boss fights because my party can't manage their health.

Any advice? It seems like only Lailah has a healing spell, and they won't use items to heal themselves...

Level 22.

Firestorm

Nice!
I'm having a super tough time in boss fights because my party can't manage their health.

Any advice? It seems like only Lailah has a healing spell, and they won't use items to heal themselves...

Level 22.
Check out my link above:

Havic101 on GameFAQs said:
Try telling your Seraphim to Engage at Range and Focus on Attacking. They'll only stop casting offensive magic if the fight moves in their direction, either to run away or to do a bit of melee and then run away. Also turn off Lailah's close range spells and Edna's trigger spells if you're doing this. Lailah would run into the boss's attack range before starting to cast those, and Edna wastes time by setting her triggers over and over and over again without actually attacking.

Human AI should just aim at weaknesses. Like...all the time. There's never a reason for them not to be, especially since they can hit everything. Unless you want them to cast spells while Armatized. Then use Engage at Range like with the Seraphim. I always have Human AI's attack frequency on Balanced, since I don't want them right in the enemy's face at all times. They die even more often when doing that.

Tell everybody to Watch HP and use Blast Gauge for defense. Seraphim will heal and Humans will use Armatization when HP falls below 75%. They'll un-fuse when it's higher. There also seems to be a slightly lower threshold for Armatized heals. Like, if they're sitting right at about 75%, they won't heal themselves, but they won't unfuse either. They'll heal themselves if they get hurt too much more though.

Seems nothing can be done about the fact that all party AI can't dodge enemy attacks for crap in this game.

In normal battles I have Edna and Dezel fighting on Close Combat while Mikleo and Lailah balance their melee and spells. (And I have all of Lailah's and Edna's spells turned on since they work just fine in this situation.) All four of them with balanced attack frequency like the humans. The humans set to Manage HP instead, so they Armatiize at 50% health instead of 75%. Other than that, same settings as with boss battles.

Armatized Heldalf
is such a waste of time, oh my god.

That was easily the most annoying fight in the game for me. I had an easier time against Dark Turtlez. Eventually I swapped all of my party members' titles to offense boosting ones and just ordered my party to charge whenever he was getting ready to fire his instakill move.

That was easily the most annoying fight in the game for me. I had an easier time against Dark Turtlez. Eventually I swapped all of my party members' titles to offense boosting ones and just ordered my party to charge whenever he was getting ready to fire his instakill move.

Yeah, I've got my party doing the same thing.
Fired off the third Super Turbo EX Mystic Arte
or whatever but ended up losing everyone to one attack shortly after. ;~; Sigh. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't send you all the way back to the beginning of that fight after each death.

Paltheos

I just cleared
the haunted mansion and drake fight after it.
Having fun.

The skill system makes sense to me (after googling how skill fusion works) but I wish the UI for managing it was better. There's no way I'm remembering what skill goes to each of the 50 slots off memory, and I can't preview a setup to see what bonus skills I can get before fusing away my stuff either. Maybe this will become easier as it goes along but the system is def. tedious.

Bladenic

While that does seem to help a little bit, it just seems like there isnt enough healing spells. At least not yet.

I literally only see 1 arte that actually heals someone.

Every Seraph has 2 healing spells, you're probably not far enough along to where they have their second one but Lailah and Mikleo both have one upon joining. Also, every Armatized form has a potent healing spell, some being area of effect and dealing damage to enemies. There is no dedicated healer, no. If you give the command to Prioritize Defense everyone will hang back and spam their healing spells.

Worst fight in the game for me was during the
Bandit kids
sidequest where you
go to the mansion to confront the rich guy and his two guards turn into ogre hellions. That fight took so many tries.

Firestorm

Worst fight in the game for me was during the
Bandit kids
sidequest where you
go to the mansion to confront the rich guy and his two guards turn into ogre hellions. That fight took so many tries.
Yep. That was definitely a pain in the ass for me. I actually went back to it just before the final fight because I was getting too frustrated earlier. I didn't end up doing the
Dark Turtlez fight

Finished Alisha's Story. The Alisha part of this was pretty boring but I do like having a denoument in games as ending on the climax always feels a little unfulfilling. Too bad that the gameplay was kinda weak. Happy I got it free. Would have been a little annoyed by a $10 price tag.

Overall happy with my purchase and time spent. Not perfect, but enjoyable. The game was a pretty solid buy at $55 CAD all in for Zestiria, Symphonia, and the DLC.

Soriku

Gameplay question about Dezel and Zaveid.
Do Dezel's titles transfer to Zaveid? I think I missed one by accident.

at the final Boss fight and did every sidequest available and I must say I'm a little disappointed with Zesteria:

as people have mentioned the "Bosses" well the main Antagonist and his followers are just bleh

Maltran
unveils
her
true colors and is then is basically forgotten hours later and the they give no story to
her
other than "I wish to carry out
Heldalf's
wishes. Which I find funny because
Maltran is suppose to be their top militant and like no bats and eys; which is even worse as she drags Sorey and co to a hidden arear to attempt to kill them and dies; she literally had a whole army with a battlefield full of malevolance and she uses NONE of it to her advantage

Symmone
just seems so usless and the grand scheme of things; all she does is try to attempt to darken Sorey and Co. heart sand obviously it doesn't work
(well it works on Dezel..kinda)
Heldalf
could've probably done everything without her help

Heldalf:
is probably the stupidest antagonist ever or at least he falls into the Cliche villain of where he has the protagonist dead to rights and does nothing...twice. I would say his backstory is interesting but somewhat forgettable due to the way it was told, kinda made looking for the Iris Gems pointless because the LAST one which you don't even acquire make more sense than the 8-10 you need to progess the story.

Also I was pretty dissapointed in the overall world; it's so small!!! they're literally only
cities you go to! well
9 if you count Kats Corner
and only 3 of them are really city like to me:
Ladylake, Marlind, and Pendrago
playing this off of Symphonia 1, Xillia 1&2, and have beaten Abyss, Hearts R, Grace F, and Vesperia, Zesteria seems so small to me. Sure they pack it with Ruins/Dungeons but it seems you're contantly going back to the same cities to progress the story. I was really hoping that I get to explore like a whole new continent when
I crossed the Camelot Bridge but sadly that wasn't the case.

But overall the game netted me about 50hrs. of gameplay so I shouldn't be complaining

Paltheos

Goddammit. I was having a good time, and the game got Tales plot'd. So early too.

So Alisha left the party, and I just got a talk from Lailah admonishing me for considering to help Hyland in the war. "The force the Shepherd sides with would surely triumph, and the other side would suffer. Using the power of the Shepherd in such a conflict could warp the world itself." Pretty legit concern. As I've been told many times before, the power of the Shepherd is serious business, and the burden of being the Shepherd is very heavy, which is why Lailah was insistent on asking Sorey if he was ready to handle it before he drew the sword, and Sorey and the game itself (by how the story had been framed so far) had assured me, "Of course!"

The very next scene, "Oh, no! Alisha's been [not] kidnapped! We should leave her behind because of the great power of the shepherd, warping the state of the world, etc. BUT Sorey would surely blame himself and create malevolence if we don't try to help. Guess we've got no choice...!" **** you, game. You were selling me on a strong and charismatic yet inexperienced protagonist who would need to make tough and largely thankless decisions but who would gain the confidence and respect of his closest allies. Now suddenly his allies immediately lose confidence in him and suggest he take the demonstrably weaker path because otherwise he'll feel bad?! Come on! I know they don't seriously discuss the other option because "Tales plot", but these slaps in the face never don't hurt.

I already lowered the difficulty in the DLC chapter to normal but the enemies are still way more of a pain than in the main game. I'm honestly tempted to lower it to easy just so I can get the dungeon over with at this point. It feels like the developers just copy/pasted the difficulty curve from an EX dungeon and called it a day.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Finished the main narrative this morning. Now onto the DLC Chapter and some NG+ action. Talesgiving continues!

I already lowered the difficulty in the DLC chapter to normal but the enemies are still way more of a pain than in the main game. I'm honestly tempted to lower it to easy just so I can get the dungeon over with at this point. It feels like the developers just copy/pasted the difficulty curve from an EX dungeon and called it a day.

I actually found the DLC a lot easier just going in it as a new game instead of carrying over stuff from the main story, I was actually like 10 levels higher when I did it that way lol. Although you can't carry anything back over once you're done.

I actually found the DLC a lot easier just going in it as a new game instead of carrying over stuff from the main story, I was actually like 10 levels higher when I did it that way lol. Although you can't carry anything back over once you're done.

It doesn't help that Alisha pretty much dies instantly when controlled by the A.I. and can only be revived with Life Bottles.

Paches

On my second playthrough and here is what happened on my 4th or 5th try on the plant boss after you deliver the plague medicine. Caught everything in the Flamberge and got a lucky ass shadow hit from Alicia on the plant main guy to power it up. Suffice to say, I got insanely lucky, but I will take that Grade.

NCff72g.jpg

Bladenic

On my second playthrough and here is what happened on my 4th or 5th try on the plant boss after you deliver the plague medicine. Caught everything in the Flamberge and got a lucky ass shadow hit from Alicia on the plant main guy to power it up. Suffice to say, I got insanely lucky, but I will take that Grade.

Still on my first play but I think my highest has been like 594 or something. Feels so good annihilating a boss or mutant hellion and getting so much grade.

BasicMath

I managed a bit over 3k grade on it. All kinds of awesome considering I don't have the lord of the lands leveled completely. It's still the highest amount I've gotten in a single fight. I think it was two Flamberges that did it. It's a shame I didn't get a pic of it.

I did get a pic for the
Minotaur - Earth
shrine boss with over 2k. That's more or less what I'm usually getting from the bosses. It's a pain to get the AI to NOT DIE, though. The trick is to issue commands to Attack/Defend as the battle goes on and keep the characters fused. The problem is keeping them fused.

Also whoever designed the damn, almost random invulnerability period for bosses sucks. Seriously. If you happen to be mid-attack animation with low-mid def stats when it's triggered, you're SOL GG.

I finished the game and the story DLC this week, and I was wondering if anyone could provide clarification on two story details.

Ending spoilers:

1. If Sorey and Mikleo are from Camlann, then I don't get why they're only 17 and 18 years old when the Age of Chaos began at least one or two hundred years ago. My only guess would be that time flows at a slower rate in Elysia due to Zenrus' power, but I don't remember it ever being clarified in the game.

2. They made a big deal about how using Sigfried would essentially kill any Seraph that uses it like what happened with Dezel, so I'm not sure why Mikleo, Lailah, Edna, and Zaveid are fine after the final battle against Heldalf.

Top Bottom