• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Grisby

Spent like 15 minutes or so just driving around waiting for a side mission to pop. Are they random or what? Because nothing was coming up and I'd like to just knock them out.

A bit disappointed too because everyone wants to kill my cop car. Like, there a re a ton of suicide drivers out and about.

Makoto

Oh, Cole wtf were you thinking?

His relationship with Elsa was barely hinted at. Didn't sense the romance really. I suppose getting demoted makes sense. Was wondering how he went from Vice to Arson.

Whats up with the vehicle damage in this game is it non existent? (360 version)

EDIT: nevermind just rear ended a car and did some damage. The sides of the car seem impossible to dent its kinda weird

I gotta say this city is pretty awesome to explore, makes me wish I could go back in time and experience life in the 40s/50s props to team bondi

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
vidal said:
Oh, Cole wtf were you thinking?

His relationship with Elsa was barely hinted at. Didn't sense the romance really. I suppose getting demoted makes sense. Was wondering how he went from Vice to Arson.

Like someone suggested earlier, it seems like they deleted a bunch of scenes or something.

alterno69

Banned
Grisby said:
Spent like 15 minutes or so just driving around waiting for a side mission to pop. Are they random or what? Because nothing was coming up and I'd like to just knock them out.

A bit disappointed too because everyone wants to kill my cop car. Like, there a re a ton of suicide drivers out and about.
I'm at the beginning of the Homicides desk and it seems like i could just keep responding to radio calls forever. I usually do a couple and then head to the next case related spot. As soon as you hear some radio chatter press X or A depending on your console and an icon of a running dude will appear on your map, go there.

Grisby said:

Different ones unlock as you progress through the story. They generally happen pretty quickly so if you don't get one within five minutes there probably isn't one available. Also check the map, sometimes one will pop up on there without anyone radioing you.

So are all the cases out of 5 stars? I got 3 stars on the first case, and I'm guessing it's because of all my vehicular damage. Also, the save system (or the lack thereof) combined with unskippable cutscenes is driving me nuts.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just wish the radio calls werent so distant from wherever I am, i'd always respond otherwise.

On the case with the pretentious writer Mccaffrey (forget the name), and the acting from both him and Tiernan especially is fantastic.

alterno69

Banned
Is there a list of all the cases in order as well as a description? I'm really bad at remembering the name of the cases i already solved.

- J - D -

Yeah the radio calls drive me nuts sometimes. I'd get one, respond and find out it's on the opposite side of the city from where my next case is. I'd go and bust up the street crime, start making the long drive back to my main case and then whattya know, another radio call. I'm so obsessive I can't just leave it alone.

When I respond to a radio call, I just let the partner drive me to the street crime location. I got sick of all the driving back and forth.

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
Yeah the radio calls drive me nuts sometimes. I'd get one, respond and find out it's on the opposite side of the city from where my next case is. I'd go and bust up the street crime, start making the long drive back to my main case and then whattya know, another radio call. I'm so obsessive I can't just leave it alone.

Just get out and make your partner drive to it.

brentech said:
The problem with Cole is he plays the role of good cop and bad cop, at the same time! And I don't even know if it's intentional.

I think he's seriously bipolar. Some of his flip-outs are crazy if he's calmly questioning a possible subject and then immediately says "YOU KILLED HER, DIDN'T YOU!? DIDN'T YOU!?"

So strange. Though he's growing on me. My hatred is now towards the other douche cop.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I think Cole is based heavily in the Guy Pierce character from LA Confidential, a tightassed by the booker with a lot of unresolved issues. Love his characterization so far, he's just likable enough but really reminds me of that movie.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wario64 said:
Huh, interesting. If you die/fail enough time on an action scene, it'll ask you if you want to skip it.

Yeah, you can skip all of the action scenes. You can disable getting the notification entirely.

mickcenary said:
SO! General controls, gun-play and cover system... Better or worse than GTAIV?

Enlighten me.

Worse, imo.

The Antitype said:
Ok, I just beat "The Fallen Idol" and I have no idea what the hell is going on!

Bishop screwed the girl in the peep room, and the fat prop guy was aware and therefore just as guilty. Got it.

Why was a gang after the guy?

And what the hell happened to the chick who basically just let the little girl get screwed in the first place?

And who the hell tried to kill them? Bishop?

Brain explodes.

I'll give this a shot. I just finished it too, and I missed one clue and got 9/15 questions answered properly, so I'm definitely missing some facts but:

Hopgood and Bishop make snuff films together. June, in an effort to get on Bishop's good side and get into his movies, brings them her niece, a runaway from Wisconsin, to star in one of these films. After they do these films, they 'get rid' of the girls. In this case, they decided to also get rid of June. This is the part I'm not entirely sure about, why they also try to kill June. The gang you encounter is employed by June's husband, Mr. McCaffrey, to kill Bishop in retaliation for the attempt on his wife's life. Hopgood is the actual murder though, he uses a prop from his own shop to lock the accelerator in the car. The 20,000 check found in Bishop's apt is meant to pay off Hopgood for his services (prob the killing more than the snuff film). It's addressed to his wife Lorna (who works at a check cashing agency) to cover up the shady payment. Hopgood should be arrested, but he's an informant for Roy Earle (vice squad cop), who's apparently needs him on the street.

So I tried driving away from my partner, when I got bored of that I tried to get him to drive me again but since he wasn't there he was driven in a police car by a pair of cops. I thought that was pretty cool.

mickcenary said:

Enlighten me.

Not quite as good, but there is a lot less of it, so it's not bad. Also, it's not awful, just sorta average. Euphoria woulda made gunfights cooler.

mattiewheels said:
I think Cole is based heavily in the Guy Pierce character from LA Confidential, a tightassed by the booker with a lot of unresolved issues. Love his characterization so far, he's just likable enough but really reminds me of that movie.

Agreed, he's very close to Exley, though not quite as much of a weeny, hahaha.

Just busted the game open tonight. I was doing really well up until the interrogation part of the tutorial. I eventually got the answers right, of course, but didn't really understand
when to say "lie" and when to say "doubt".
It seemed a bit arbitrary. At least on the 2nd part.
The first answer was obviously lie, but the 2nd was doubt?
Why?

(Probably didn't have to spoiler that, but just trying to be on the safe side.)

DidntKnowJack said:
Just busted the game open tonight. I was doing really well up until the interrogation part of the tutorial. I eventually got the answers right, of course, but didn't really understand
Why?

I think it goes like this:

'Doubt' means you think they are lying, but you don't have evidence or proof.

Only choose 'Lie' if you have evidence that directly contradicts their bullshit.

'Truth' just accepts their statement as fact.

Papercuts

DidntKnowJack said:
Why?

Only use lie if you have the evidence to prove it. The difference between truth/doubt can get really stupid, though.

Doubt and Lie are basically the same thing. The difference is that when you lie, you need hard evidence to prove the accusation.

Choose Doubt when something's fishy but you have no evidence. Choose Lie when something's fishy and you can throw hard evidence in that lying sack of shit's face to prove it.

Edit - Beaten x2, dang.

Fjordson

mickcenary said:

Enlighten me.
I think they're better. But either way, there isn't a whole lot of it.

I tend to like the combat in Rockstar games (I know, I know this isn't actually a R* game) more than most people, though, so your mileage may vary.

Eric WK

A27 Tawpgun said:
Guys... I had a different ending to the Golden Butterfly case...different than any of you.

I interviewed the pedo first and failed hard in the questioning. So I interviewed the father, but it seemed like he wasn't the killer either. The kill cutscene made it look like the pedo did it. So I thought if I didn't charge him I could question the pedo again.

Nope. Apparently by doing that it meant I release him. So when he's walking out the Janitor comes up and says THATS HIM, I SAW HIM PARK THE CAR! And the father BOOKS it to a car, we have a car chase, he gets rammed by a tram, and is taken into custody, seemingly charged with the murder.

Basically, although I didn't choose him, he still got charged and I got bitched out for it.

Heh.

I ended up charging the sex offender. Here I am, four or five cases later, and the ring from this case pops up at a pawn shop. In the car, the partner and Cole are discussing the case as if the situation you described played out - Hugo Moller running and being charged.

Not sure how I feel about that at all.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
I'm still on the border between renting it or buying it. Usually, with linear games such as this with no online component, I just beat it in a rental, but this game seems like one I would enjoy owning. Decisions decisions...

Teknoman

Grisby said:

Damn street cars... I always think "I can make it, I CAN MAKE IT!" then bam, I get ranked on by my partner lol.

So I've been playing for the last 2 hours or so and am finding the game a pretty huge letdown so far.

The controls are clunky as hell. The physics system is undercooked and the gameplay should and could have been relegated to a point and click adventure.

It feels like so much of the missions and action are on rails 'press X to jump this wall, this one right here!'. You can't really run people over and if you do the game acts as if you're not supposed to do that and tries to correct them by moving them to the side of your car.

Sure the atmosphere of the period is nice, but the game also doesn't look anywhere near the past two games Rockstar has lent their name to, and Team Bondi don't seem to be anywhere near the same level as RS.

It boils down to walking around an apartment and listening for a jingle -> pressing X to investigate the clue (or sometimes investigating something you didn't mean to pick up that is of no use).

Each mission so far has gone for maybe 2 minutes, before being treated to a cut-scene that takes twice as long in between each goddamn mission.

The only thing the game has going for it is the impressive facial performance capture - which franky doesn't make a game.

Really disappointed because I've been really looking forward to this after coming off finishing RDR recently and it seems really undercooked. Yes, the story could get better, but I want a game first, story second.

PS3 version btw.

TheExodu5

Banned
Now I feel like finishing off Trials and Tribulations...I stopped at the third case.

Well, at least it's easy to handle this game in small chunks. I'll probably try to play one case a night. Seems reasonable. I can't say I'm having much drive to play more than that, at least yet...I'm at 7/21 completed.

Also, 21 cases is a little misleading. It's pretty much 17 cases, since the 4 cases before that are all tutorial and take about a half hour total to get through.

Papercuts

Scullibundo said:
So I've been playing for the last 2 hours or so and am finding the game a pretty huge letdown so far.

The controls are clunky as hell. The physics system is undercooked and the gameplay should and could have been relegated to a point and click adventure.

It feels like so much of the missions and action are on rails 'press X to jump this wall, this one right here!'. You can't really run people over and if you do the game acts as if you're not supposed to do that and tries to correct them by moving them to the side of your car.

Sure the atmosphere of the period is nice, but the game also doesn't look anywhere near the past two games Rockstar has lent their name to, and Team Bondi don't seem to be anywhere near the same level as RS.

It boils down to walking around an apartment and listening for a jingle -> pressing X to investigate the clue (or sometimes investigating something you didn't mean to pick up that is of no use).

Each mission so far has gone for maybe 2 minutes, before being treated to a cut-scene that takes twice as long in between each goddamn mission.

The only thing the game has going for it is the impressive facial performance capture - which franky doesn't make a game.

Really disappointed because I've been really looking forward to this after coming off finishing RDR recently and it seems really undercooked. Yes, the story could get better, but I want a game first, story second.

PS3 version btw.

You haven't gotten to the "real" cases yet. But imo the game part stays pretty underwhelming, this is definitely more of an experience over gameplay. Though even that I'm not really floored with yet.

I'm still on disc 2, so without spoiling anything can anybody tell me if there is any personal Drama coming up? We hardly know anything about Cole except that he's married (which we know because he has a ring on.)

Teknoman

Scullibundo said:

PS3 version btw.

Turn off clues. Much better this way...also it starts off slow. And you get penalized for collateral damage so you should probably drive carefully unless you're chasing someone.

Teknoman said:
Turn off clues. Much better this way...also it starts off slow. And you get penalized for collateral damage so you should probably drive carefully unless you're chasing someone.

I only started checking out the collateral damage after finishing my last case before turning the system off.

TheExodu5

Banned
Teknoman said:

Disagree. Turning off clues just makes the annoying parts of the game more annoying. The investigation part is all pixel hunting anyways...might as well make it easier on yourself. You still get the instant feedback during the interrogations, which are the only interesting parts of the game, IMO.

Scullibundo said:

PS3 version btw.

You really need to adjust your expectations. This game has much more in common with the old school Adventure genre. If you want "game first, story second" you're kind of in the wrong mindset. This is all about investigation and interrogation. Everything else plays the background.

Papercuts

I've been playing fine with the clue notifications turned off, but the music on so I know when I have it all. There doesn't seem to be a way to turn off the feedback in interrogations which is fucking awful.

Dead

well not really...yet
The game would definitely be a lot better if there was no open world aspect to it. Its more of a chore than anything else. It would work much better as a linear adventure Point A -> Point B. I much pretty much skip through everything through fast travel, it keeps the game chugging along much better, even if in the long run it will make it shorter.

Theres really no point to the open world design here. Well, I guess there are like 90 cars or something. Too bad they all handle exactly the same, from what Ive played at least.

dream

Wario64 said:
Like someone suggested earlier, it seems like they deleted a bunch of scenes or something.

I believe that. It would definitely explain why the game falls apart towards the end.

Top Bottom