• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Lazlo

The Lamp said:
Really?
Though actually, I finished that mission a short while ago, and I'm thinking all these missions might be a set-up behind one serial killer. I'm only 6 hours in though, so who knows?

I think this too seeing as in the golden butterfly the guy walking up wasn't wearing the green overalls in the trunk. If you want my opinion I think the killer is...

The "temporary" bartender who goes from bar to bar around town. Clothes matched and he has access to women, plus he was pretty shady.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
TheExecutive said:
Fucking sweet. Going to turn that off right now.
I turned off vibration. Left on audio cues. Really enjoying it greatly that way.

Just finished fallen idol. Great ending to the case.

The Lamp

JambiBum said:
Can you explain what you did to get five?

Got all clues and all questions correct, and ran about $1500 in damages I think?

It's my second five-star case, as far as I've been paying attention.

borghe said:
I turned off vibration. Left on audio cues. Really enjoying it greatly that way.

I have a SIXAXIS so mine can't vibrate, but I can't tell what music I'm supposed to listen for when looking for clues. What does it sound like?

This facial animation stuff is the real deal. Every other game's cut scenes are gonna look really bad in comparison if they have human faces. I'd be nice if Rockstar would make a game with good combat mechanics one of these days though.

Fjordson

borghe said:

That's what I did. Lots of fun that way, strikes a good balance.

And Fallen Idol was one of my favourites. Great stuff.

Random question: were there any stores offering a download code for the soundtrack as a pre-order bonus or something? Technical support on Rockstar's website has an entry for people trying to download the soundtrack.

http://support.rockstargames.com/en...eming-or-downloading-the-l-a-noire-soundtrack

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
JambiBum said:
Can you explain what you did to get five?

I got all the interrogation questions correct, found 100% of the clues in the case. I actually ran over a person so I guess there's some leeway on it.

Tom Penny

BannedEpisode said:
I've gotten a couple. It seems like you need to get most (Like 95%) of the clues and interview questions while avoiding city damage.

Yep. Just got 5 stars. Not running over people and wrecking the city is key LOL.

Sheppard

Tobor said:
I'm really stuck on the Golden Butterfly.
Who do I charge? The evidence fits both guys!

There is some damning evidence on one side that makes the murder. IT IS GREEN.

Sorry about double post.

The Lamp

Tobor said:
I'm really stuck on the Golden Butterfly.
Who do I charge? The evidence fits both guys!

If you really want to know....
Another poster and I just talked about this. He chose the father, and apparently your boss "chews you out". I chose the pedophile, everyone congratulated me and was happy.

Sheppard said:

This confused me.
The HM overalls could either be the father's initials, or the company the pedophile worked for. The father said the overalls were in his house's laundry, and insists that's the truth. But he looks shifty. And we found overalls in his wife's car. But the pedophile insists he didn't do anything, and saw a man change out of the overalls and put them into that car. I really didn't know who to believe, so I guess it's lucky I charged the pedo.

Tobor

Sheppard said:

Sorry about double post.
Both men say their overalls are green, and both would have HM on them.

The Lamp

Tobor said:
Both men say their overalls are green, and both would have HM on them.

This is what I thought
The father might not be guilty of the murder...but he's hiding something. But he has more alibi than the shady child molester.

Sheppard

About the end of the Golden Butterfly,
I do not remember the father stating his overalls were green. That is why I went to the pedo because he states his overalls from work are green.

Tobor

Sheppard said:
*SPOILER*
Make sure you use spoiler tags, dude.

The Lamp said:
This is what I thought
The father might not be guilty of the murder...but he's hiding something. But he has more alibi than the shady child molester.

That's what I just did. Neither option was good, but I guess that's the point.

Makoto

Was I missing something with Quarter Moon?
Does Team Bondi really expect the majority of players to figure out all the locations the excerpts were alluding to on their own? That just doesn't seem realistic. I just stood around and waited for Cole to figure it out himself. Are there other ways of approaching it?

The Lamp said:
The HM overalls could either be the father's initials, or the company the pedophile worked for. The father said the overalls were in his house's laundry, and insists that's the truth. But he looks shifty. And we found overalls in his wife's car. But the pedophile insists he didn't do anything, and saw a man change out of the overalls and put them into that car. I really didn't know who to believe, so I guess it's lucky I charged the pedo.

Well, I
charged the father. The captain chewed me out, but the evidence is more than circumstantial. The murder weapon is from the husband's car, and he actively chose to destroy evidence that would implicate him. Not only that, no one knows where he was at the time of the murder. The Pedo had no motive nor was it his MO. Come the start of the next case, Phelps is having breakfast with the Cap and the partner. Captain mentions that the DA was pleased with the evidence presented and thanks you for your good work. The captain doesn't seem too pleased about it, but justice was served. I hope.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Think I might turn on vibrations again...I think the fun is finding out what the clues mean, rather than a hide/seek "find the object" game.

I'm barely through the first traffic case...gotta savor the flavor. :D

fastford58 said:
My biggest problem with the game -
I was on the Hit and run mission, had already determined that it was a murder by stabbing and had the order to go arrest the Patterson lady. Instead, I went to the guy that owned the car as I hadn't gone there yet. Even with the knowledge that it was a homicide and who the perps were, Cole went off on this bug tirade, accusing the car owner that he was going down for manslaughter and all this BS...even going so far as to make that his arresting reason. With all the thought put into the game, you would think this kind of contradiction within the core mechanic would have been ironed out.

As it should be.
Even though he was fatally stabbed, the husband died due to the car striking him, so there's your manslaughter (he should also be charged with fleeing the scene, but it's never mentioned). Mrs. Patterson and her boyfriend get conspiracy to commit murder, murder, and fraud (for the life insurance they're trying to scam) for pushing him out in front of the car after fatally stabbing him.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Turning off clues or whatever didn't make this very fun for me. It becomes a pixel quest hunt which is boring.

I see now why you can skip past car chases. The controls absolutely suck.

Funtruck said:
The framerate slowdown in this game is really annoying.
i must be psychotic, everything you type, in my opinion, is worthy of an avatar quote.

Kintaro said:
Turning off clues or whatever didn't make this very fun for me. It becomes a pixel quest hunt which is boring.

I see now why you can skip past car chases. The controls absolutely suck.
considering how many clues i missed with the feature ON, i would think turning them off would be for people who like making things unecessarily difficult for its own sake.

Tawpgun

Guys... I had a different ending to the Golden Butterfly case...different than any of you.

I interviewed the pedo first and failed hard in the questioning. So I interviewed the father, but it seemed like he wasn't the killer either. The kill cutscene made it look like the pedo did it. So I thought if I didn't charge him I could question the pedo again.

Nope. Apparently by doing that it meant I release him. So when he's walking out the Janitor comes up and says THATS HIM, I SAW HIM PARK THE CAR! And the father BOOKS it to a car, we have a car chase, he gets rammed by a tram, and is taken into custody, seemingly charged with the murder.

Basically, although I didn't choose him, he still got charged and I got bitched out for it.

Sheppard

A27 Tawpgun said:
Guys... I had a different ending to the Golden Butterfly case...different than any of you.

I interviewed the pedo first and failed hard in the questioning. So I interviewed the father, but it seemed like he wasn't the killer either. The kill cutscene made it look like the pedo did it. So I thought if I didn't charge him I could question the pedo again.

Nope. Apparently by doing that it meant I release him. So when he's walking out the Janitor comes up and says THATS HIM, I SAW HIM PARK THE CAR! And the father BOOKS it to a car, we have a car chase, he gets rammed by a tram, and is taken into custody, seemingly charged with the murder.

Basically, although I didn't choose him, he still got charged and I got bitched out for it.

Interesting. I wonder if that is how it should have ended.

kylej

Banned
03sho said:
And what feelings are you feeling?

That the current consoles are struggling to keep up with developer ambition. The game looks real good when investigating - which is fine because that's what counts - but the open world stuff is surprisingly wonky looking. Pop-in, lack of shadowing, jaggies, framerate.

Ok, I just beat "The Fallen Idol" and I have no idea what the hell is going on!

Bishop screwed the girl in the peep room, and the fat prop guy was aware and therefore just as guilty. Got it.

Why was a gang after the guy?

And what the hell happened to the chick who basically just let the little girl get screwed in the first place?

And who the hell tried to kill them? Bishop?

Brain explodes.

Dead

well not really...yet
A27 Tawpgun said:

Yeah, that happened to me as well. I just assumed that was the only outcome

Grisby

Can you play the game after you beat the main story? Like load it up and search for locations, etc.? I know you can do the cases but I was wondering about the free roam stuff.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
strem said:
I am loving this game. I just wish it had a PC version...ohhh it would be so sweet

Tell me about it... Red Dead first please, though.

Anyway, I just ordered this on Amazon! I couldn't resist when I found out they still have the $20 credit deal going.

I probably won't be able to get to this for a while, though. I just got The Witcher 2 and Fable III yesterday, so I need to plough through those first.

Makoto

Gooster said:
I liked my Traffic partner. :(

Rusty was okay, kind of useless.
Yeah, from the trailers, I assumed Stefan was going to be the asshole but he was cool for the most part. Roy and Rusty make me want to rush through these desks.

e_i

Walter Bishop!
Okay...it's John Noble

My jaw dropped when I saw the animation in the last part of the TV commercial. "I'm not lying. She just got up and left. That was it!"

vidal said:
Was I missing something with Quarter Moon?
Does Team Bondi really expect the majority of players to figure out all the locations the excerpts were alluding to on their own? That just doesn't seem realistic. I just stood around and waited for Cole to figure it out himself. Are there other ways of approaching it?

I didn't get it at first either, I looked all over the map for cross sections that would match the clues but that didn't work and then I realized there were a bunch of question marks on the map, some are hidden cars but some are landmarks, make a waypoint for the correct landmark and the mission should continue.

brentech

vidal said:
I thought Roy Earle was going to be one of the more awesome partners. This guy is an asshole.
Just finished my first case with him. Hate hate hate. Kind of figured I would, wreaks of bad attitude.

rhino4evr

Made it up to The Fallen Idol. Enjoying the game so far. So far I've kinda figured out the cases pretty quickly based on the clues. I hope things get more obtuse. Love the little hint at the end...its like yeah you did good but you missed this..duh!!

The last case I was so obsessed of finding the murderer that I completely forgot to press charges for a major traffic violation. Whoops!

Tawpgun

On the Silk Stocking Murder...

Did anyone else think the dots were meant to decode the poem? I got to the safe with the necklace on it so I know where weren't.... just would have been cool if it worked like that.

Just got promoted to Homicide. Loving the game so far. I'm also really warming up to Cole. I cracked up at his Shakespeare moment during the final Traffic case. Also, the douchiest person in the game is no longer Cole, it's Roy Earle or whatever his name is, the Vice guy. Complete dick, I hate him already.

Bekowski's cool though.

I really do love the music in this game. Driving to a location at night in black and white with this soundtrack playing is quite the experience.

Vega

God, I love the fact that there are different outcomes possible in some cases. How many do we know for sure so far? The hit and run and the Moller case right?

Top Bottom