• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
rhino4evr said:
Made it up to The Fallen Idol. Enjoying the game so far. So far I've kinda figured out the cases pretty quickly based on the clues. I hope things get more obtuse. Love the little hint at the end...its like yeah you did good but you missed this..duh!!

The last case I was so obsessed of finding the murderer that I completely forgot to press charges for a major traffic violation. Whoops!

Wow, the game tells you to do that? It makes the plot become a contradictory clusterfuck...

Here's what I did on "A Marriage Made in Heaven" -
I found all the evidence, including the knife, at the scene of the crime. I got perfect on all the questions, which let me know about the partnership and the car owner. I went to her house, confronted them and again nailed all the options there. The coroner called me after, I decided to go there before I saw the guy with the car.

He says the victim was stabbed to death, dead before the car hit him. Cole mentioned the knife and they were ready to go back to the house and arrest those two. I didn't want to leave the car thing alone(because he should have stayed at the scene) so I went to his place. He is putting suitcases in the car, you show up, he tries to get away. The entire time cole is screaming about MANSLAUGHTER and taking him in, BUT I ALREADY DISCOVERED THAT THE CAR DIDN'T KILL HIM. I was forced to chase him, take him and arrest him, again insinuating he was a murderer. I then went to the house I was going to go to, the lady got shot and I chased down the other guy, pulled off a warning shot and took him in.

Then the game at the end said something about returning to the crime scene to reveal something, but I already found everything there soooo yeah.

That was Heavy Rain levels of awful. I seriously hope the cases get better, because the actual detective stuff hasn't been very good to me so far.

alterno69

Banned
Mikasangelos said:
Heres the events that i took. (i forgot all the names to character involved)

-While doing my crime scene search i found the knife.
-Talked to the lady out front
-Talked to the bartender
-Went to Wifes/Victims house
-Went to Car owners house, He runs and gets chased down, arrested
-Went to Coroners, He tells us that the guy was dead before the car accident, Cole introduces the found knife bit.
-Went back to wifes/victims house, Wife and New Boyfriend layout all the details on how they killed Husband, Boyfriend shoots Wife, rundown/shootout, Boyfriend gets killed.
-Case closed

thats how it ended for me

This was the case with my case lol. I had no idea about different outcomes which is awesome, i'll replay all of the cases once i finish my first playthrough.

Loving the game, i'm on my second murder case, had to stop for the day cause i don't want to beat the game so fast, got it today and played for like six hours already lol.

Just as good as i hoped.

AcciDante

A27 Tawpgun said:
Guys... I had a different ending to the Golden Butterfly case...different than any of you.

I interviewed the pedo first and failed hard in the questioning. So I interviewed the father, but it seemed like he wasn't the killer either. The kill cutscene made it look like the pedo did it. So I thought if I didn't charge him I could question the pedo again.

Nope. Apparently by doing that it meant I release him. So when he's walking out the Janitor comes up and says THATS HIM, I SAW HIM PARK THE CAR! And the father BOOKS it to a car, we have a car chase, he gets rammed by a tram, and is taken into custody, seemingly charged with the murder.

Basically, although I didn't choose him, he still got charged and I got bitched out for it.
Wat...
I pretty much had the same thing happen with the other guy. I interviewed the dad, didn't charge him, interviewed the pedo, didn't charge him, then I went back to the dad, but he was leaving and some guy pointed him out. Then I chased him and arrested him. Boss man was not happy.

I love Amazon. Pre-ordered to get $15 credit with LA Noire, but it was late due to shipment problems so they gave me another $10 for my troubles. I got the game today and also another email giving me another $5 to match the total they are giving now. So basically I received $30 for this awesome game.

Fjordson said:
That's what I did. Lots of fun that way, strikes a good balance.

And Fallen Idol was one of my favourites. Great stuff.

Random question: were there any stores offering a download code for the soundtrack as a pre-order bonus or something? Technical support on Rockstar's website has an entry for people trying to download the soundtrack.

http://support.rockstargames.com/en...eming-or-downloading-the-l-a-noire-soundtrack
Regarding this I also read that some dude received some booklet at gamestop about the making off this game also. I didnt got nothing.

lush

When this game clicks for you, it really clicks. I've been having alot better luck with questioning/interrogations. I still mess up every once due to bizarre stops for my response that leave me second guessing my choice. I just finished "The Studio Secretary Murder" and really enjoyed the end of it. The case progression in regards to the amount of locations and suspects is nice. I also have replayed a case or two to receive different outcomes, which is really good to see.

Fantastic game really. Hopefully they put up the preorder DLC in a timely manner. Oh and whoever mentioned the paranormal case DLC is spot on, some X-Files style cases would be brilliant.

Oh, and I'm loving the soundtrack.

Dinokill

How yo do free roam without wandering during a case? Right after I finish one case I'm into another case!.

I'm in the third traffic case.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dinokill said:
How yo do free roam without wandering during a case? Right after I finish one case I'm into another case!.

It seems like you have to do it while on a case. It feels completely unneeded overall.

Simo

Just got the soundtrack, listening to it now!

The only problem...going over the track lists which lists most tracks via case desks including homicide, vice, arson and....burglary?!

Nelo Ice

Banned
Dinokill said:

after u complete a desk u unlock free roam
just completed the traffic cases and now when i go to cases in the main menu theres an option under the traffic folder for free roam

So are the DLC cases good and worth it? Or more particularly, are they worth extra money ($30 to be exact?)

I'm trying to decide whether or not to pay the extra money for it if EB decide to deny letting me have the DLC case and extra stuff if I ask them to price match for me...

lush

Simo said:
Just got the soundtrack, listening to it now!

The only problem...going over the track lists which lists most tracks via case desks including homicide, vice, arson and....burglary?!

http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/12347/team-bondi-ponder-la-noire-dlc-burglary-and-bunko-desks

The studio behind L.A. Noire, due out next week, has revealed they're thinking of what DLC they could bring to the open-world crime solver - some new desks?

Each desk comes with multiple cases as our character changes department and gets promoted. Studio boss Brendan McNamara says "two full desks" got cut.

“As I said earlier, we’ve got two full desks – burglary and bunko – that never made it into the game
, so we’ve been thinking those and whether we’ll do them,” said Team Bondi founder McNamara. Each desk carries multiple cases which we can replay anytime.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Finished the golden butterfly & stopping for today. The cases have been getting really good. I've got nothing but positive things to say about this game.

Perhaps what's most impressive to me is the characters. It's not just the facial technology, every character is extremely well defined & acted. I particularly love my partners so far. They're all pretty horrible people, but they're such great characters. I really hope R* takes some lessons from Mr. McNamara.

Rickard

Black caesars:

What do you MEAN "I only do gambling"!? I just opened your secret fucking slot machine! I could piss on the evidence from here.

WHY CAN'T I USE THAT AS EVIDENCE!?

stupid_dad

Neo Member
ColonialRaptor said:
So are the DLC cases good and worth it? Or more particularly, are they worth extra money ($30 to be exact?)

I'm trying to decide whether or not to pay the extra money for it if EB decide to deny letting me have the DLC case and extra stuff if I ask them to price match for me...

When i picked mine up from eb all the dlc was sealed in the case so they had to give it to me and they price matched jb

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Fjordson said:
That's what I did. Lots of fun that way, strikes a good balance.

And Fallen Idol was one of my favourites. Great stuff.

Random question: were there any stores offering a download code for the soundtrack as a pre-order bonus or something? Technical support on Rockstar's website has an entry for people trying to download the soundtrack.

http://support.rockstargames.com/en...eming-or-downloading-the-l-a-noire-soundtrack
http://support.rockstargames.com/entries/20095746-information-about-the-l-a-noire-soundtracks

The Official L.A. Noire Soundtrack is also available as a pre-order bonus at the following retailers:

Australia
  • JB Hi-Fi
  • Game
Benelux
  • Game Mania
  • Free Records Shop
France

• Game
Spain

• Game Stop

stupid_dad said:
When i picked mine up from eb all the dlc was sealed in the case so they had to give it to me and they price matched jb

Well, I really hope that's how it plays out for me.

Okay, it's midday now. Lunch break time, going to go pick it up and then try it out on the work PS3.

SO EXCITE!

lush

TheExodu5 said:
Why do all these cases need to end in massive shootouts?
They don't. All cases seem to have some type of action sequence, the case will either have some kind of chase sequence or a shootout. I'm still in homicide and I've done multiple cases that finished in the interrogation rooms.

Tawpgun

I'm enjoying the game but I really don't like Cole. He seems inconsistent. Kind of a dick sometimes, and a white knight at other times.

Maybe I'm not far enough along but the War flashbacks seem tacked on. In general, I'm not getting a sense of a bigger overarching story. Just a case by case, Desk by Desk thing.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I'm enjoying the game but I really don't like Cole. He seems inconsistent. Kind of a dick sometimes, and a white knight at other times.

Maybe I'm not far enough along but the War flashbacks seem tacked on. In general, I'm not getting a sense of a bigger overarching story. Just a case by case, Desk by Desk thing.

How far along are you?

Also, have you been collecting the (the following probably isn't a spoiler but I'm marking it as such anyways)
newspapers?

brentech

The problem with Cole is he plays the role of good cop and bad cop, at the same time! And I don't even know if it's intentional.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
All the women in this game are raging alcoholics, apparently.

megalowho

I'm really getting a kick out of the lines that Cole delivers when he's looking at an object he has no interest in. They run the range from by the book ("seems irrelevant" "circumstantial") to hilariously dry ("it doesn't look like, anything" "maybe if... no"). Combined with certain items and situations it can be pretty absurd, and they've recorded enough that it never feels repetitive. So much better than the old "I'm not picking that up."

Tawpgun

I pick the newspapers up when I can, but I haven't found many.

Also, regarding the White Shoe case....
Why did Galloway shoot the hobos? I know there were outnumbered but the hobos didn't show any immediate aggression....

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ugh, hate the save system in this game...no option to manually save either. Lost 10~ minutes of good detective work. :(

A27 Tawpgun said:
I pick the newspapers up when I can, but I haven't found many.

Also, regarding the White Shoe case....
Why did Galloway shoot the hobos? I know there were outnumbered but the hobos didn't show any immediate aggression....

I thought the hobo leader told them to attack the two detectives

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
chubigans said:
Ugh, hate the save system in this game...no option to manually save either. Lost 10~ minutes of good detective work. :(

Yeah the save feature is weird. One point I assumed it autosaved at this one section, so I quit the game to do something else. Came back and it set me like 2 sections back.

Sheppard

I have a question on the The Studio Secretary Murder that is near the end.
I've just finished this homicide case but i'm sure there must be a bug when you're interrogating James Tiernan. The top question is "relation to the victim", no matter what choice I make I can never get it right. You can tell he's definitely lying by his eyes, but doubt doesn't work and neither does lie, I even tried truth but still wrong. Then I thought maybe I'm missing some evidence but after completing the level I'd collected it all :/. So I went back and used my intuition to remove an answer and it removed doubt and it also ruled out all of the evidence. Meaning the only logical answer is truth, which clearly it's not . Anybody else ran into this problem? Also in the end I never answered the question and just accused Mcaffrey of the murder and it still said I'd answered all questions correctly as well

jackdoe

Wario64 said:
Yeah the save feature is weird. One point I assumed it autosaved at this one section, so I quit the game to do something else. Came back and it set me like 2 sections back.
The save system seriously sucks. At points where you logically think there should be a save, there isn't. I lost a good 20 minutes progress because I had to restart due to a game breaking bug in "Fallen Idol".

Is it possible to catch a suspect in street crimes without killing them? I almost got one dude but he kicked me when I was chasing him up a pole. Fuckin cosmic rays lol loving this game

laika09

Sheppard said:
I've just finished this homicide case but i'm sure there must be a bug when you're interrogating James Tiernan. The top question is "relation to the victim", no matter what choice I make I can never get it right. You can tell he's definitely lying by his eyes, but doubt doesn't work and neither does lie, I even tried truth but still wrong. Then I thought maybe I'm missing some evidence but after completing the level I'd collected it all :/. So I went back and used my intuition to remove an answer and it removed doubt and it also ruled out all of the evidence. Meaning the only logical answer is truth, which clearly it's not . Anybody else ran into this problem? Also in the end I never answered the question and just accused Mcaffrey of the murder and it still said I'd answered all questions correctly as well

Are you presenting the right evidence when you pick lie?

laika09

Sheppard said:
That would mean I missed a clue of evidence but I don't think I did. Should have picked up the damn guide.

I'll just say that
lie is the proper response, and it wasn't bugged for me.

brentech

Sheppard said:
This all sounds like a very boring way to play the game, but none the less, I had the same type situation:
I interrogated him first and had the same issue. Maybe you have to interrogate the other guy first in order to get proof? Dunno. I basically spoke to Mcaffrey and then when I was done, had a phone call option that gave me damning evidence and went straight back to him which let me pin it on him and get a confession.

laika09

Sheppard said:
Bust me the spoiler then because this case is killing me.

If you interrogate McCaffery right he tells you Tiernan was the last person seen with the victim, and you use that as the evidence after you accuse him of lying.

Top Bottom