• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Montresor

Solo said:
Both. And like Alan Wake, I will love it.

I disagree. I think it will be just as awesome as Alan Wake, but this game has tons of marketing going for it. I hope it does very very well.

edit: Saw your last post. *shrugs* I don't know why Alan Wake bombed so hard, but I guess I was part of the problem. I didn't play the game until last month, and I played a copy which I bought for $20 last Boxing Day, and I started playing just when the paid DLC had a half-off sale. I practically gave Remedy the minimum amount of cash for their hard work. :lol

MMaRsu

Solo said:
Alan Wake had a lot of marketing too, if memory serves.

This game surely isn't going to bomb, and why is that you might ask? Because it's a freeroam game, and it has R*'s name on the box. That is enough to some people.

Mifune

Mehmber
JaseC said:
It's simply that many feel that Team Bondi should be recognised more widely for their role as the developer. These same people are a little miffed with R* seemingly taking as much credit as possible.

Team Bondi is getting plenty of credit.

Holy shit, what a non-issue.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Mifune said:
Team Bondi is getting plenty of credit.

Holy shit, what a non-issue.

This is GAF. Every non-issue is a huge issue. :p

To some extent, it is an understandable stance. For instance, Team Bondi isn't mentioned on the front cover.

kaskade

Solo said:
Alan Wake had a lot of marketing too, if memory serves.
I think the rockstar name on it is a big help though. I know quiet a few people that are excited for L.A. Noir. The commercials also have the rockstar touch to them. Chances are most people aren't even going to think about Team Bondi.

Makoto

I don't think it's that R* wants to take the credit but rather they're fulling aware of their popularity and will use that if it means more sales for a new IP. It's those who are attributing LA Noire to R* that are getting others irritated.

Solo

MMaRsu said:
This game surely isn't going to bomb, and why is that you might ask? Because it's a freeroam game, and it has R*'s name on the box. That is enough to some people.

But as this thread has just shown, I expect some backlash when the gen pop discover that this isn't GTA 1947 and you can't murder fools and bang hookers and drive drunk.

did anyone care when SEGA was the only name on the front of Bayonetta??

why is this an issue??

Solo said:
But as this thread has just shown, I expect some backlash when the gen pop discover that this isn't GTA 1947 and you can't murder fools and bang hookers and drive drunk.

you could not sleep with hookers in RDR since John was married and that worked out fine.

JaseC

vidal said:
I don't think it's that R* wants to take the credit but rather they're fulling aware of their popularity and will use that if it means more sales for a new IP. It's those who are attributing LA Noire to R* that are getting others irritated.

Absolutely. The R* brand is huge, as Red Dead Redemption proved beyond any and all doubt.

PooBone

I don't remember much marketing for Alan Wake, except those Bright Falls short films that were buried in the XBL marketplace. Those things were awesome, but how they expected it to help sales of Alan Wake is beyond me.

I've seen tons of commercials for this game, but granted, they make it look like a GTA game.

Grisby

JaseC said:
Absolutely. The R* brand is huge, as Red Dead Redemption proved beyond any and all doubt.

Yeah, its a shame Remedy didn't have as much of an impact. I wonder if its because they had gone so long without releasing something? The Max Paynes were pretty successful.

But it seems Rockstars got pull.

JaseC

Grisby said:
Yeah, its a shame Remedy didn't have as much of an impact. I wonder if its because they had gone so long without releasing something? The Max Paynes were pretty successful.

But it seems Rockstars got pull.

Possibly, but ultimately it's one of those things that we as outsiders will never be privy to.

OK, how much detective work is actually in this game? Are you going to have to figure stuff out on your own in most cases? I fear something like you get to the location and cinema drives you straight to fighting someone/chasing them/finding a clue, etc. I'm wary of Rockstar games beacause I hate the GTA series but I had some fun with RDR. The detective element is the only reason I have interest in this but I'd like to know to what extent before I throw money at it.

Squall ASF said:
OK, how much detective work is actually in this game? Are you going to have to figure stuff out on your own in most cases? I fear something like you get to the location and cinema drives you straight to fighting someone/chasing them/finding a clue, etc. I'm wary of Rockstar games beacause I hate the GTA series but I had some fun with RDR. The detective element is the only reason I have interest in this but I'd like to know to what extent before I throw money at it.

Check some of the videos in the OP for an insight into that.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
MMaRsu said:

and the previous game that had that was red dead redemption =3

Mik2121

I have not watched any movie since the first two trailers they released so sorry for the newbie questions but...

Can we drive cars in this game? And how much 'free roam' is in it? I know the story is the main thing, but I absolutely LOVE picking up a car and just slowly driving around....

Mik2121 said:
I have not watched any movie since the first two trailers they released so sorry for the newbie questions but...

Can we drive cars in this game? And how much 'free roam' is in it? I know the story is the main thing, but I absolutely LOVE picking up a car and just slowly driving around....

You can indeed just drive around and spend time checking out LA, there is a video @ IGN that explains some of the things you can do while not on a mission, like collecting newspapers and stuff.

I would link the video but I am at work and IGN is blocked sorry.

Miggytronz

JetBlackPanda said:
You can indeed just drive around and spend time checking out LA, there is a video @ IGN that explains some of the things you can do while not on a mission, like collecting newspapers and stuff.

I just posted it

JetBlackPanda said:

It's on Youtube as well

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Phantom Limbs said:
Need reviews. Need to know which version to get.
Chances are it's the PS3 version, given that it was the lead platform, the game spent much of its life as a PS3 exclusive, and Rockstar have only shown the PS3 version to date.

burgerdog

Phantom Limbs said:
Need reviews. Need to know which version to get.

PS3. We haven't seen 360 footage yet. Just like we didn't see any PS3 footage of RDR prior to release and why I bought the 360 version of that game.

Vinterbird said:
Check some of the videos in the OP for an insight into that.

Blocked from work, unfortunatley. The pics and previews on tv all just display cinema. The description in the OP sounds promissing, looking for clues and interrogating people. I just want to make sure that's the main staple for the game and not mostly done for you via cut scenes.

Squall ASF said:
Blocked from work, unfortunatley. The pics and previews on tv all just display cinema. The description in the OP sounds promissing, looking for clues and interrogating people. I just want to make sure that's the main staple for the game and not mostly done for you via cut scenes.

The videos all show how you have to actually look at stuff, and spot what is important in terms of evidence. The game won't point everything out to you, you have to discover stuff yourself.

When talking to people you decide what to say, and if you think they're lying, call them on it and react to it.

lush said:
The game has an open world, notice I didn't use the word "sandbox". I've known from the get-go this would be more linear a game similar to Mafia 2. Honestly though, what would it hurt to allow people to go on a rampage if they so choose? It's a simple question.

I'd also see it as rather lame if I'm in a car chase or shootout and I accidentally hit a civilian and nothing happens.

You frighten me.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Someone already has the game and was posting impressions on Gamespot. However, the topic was deleted. These are the brief impressions he posted, along with a picture of the disc to prove he had it. This confirms that you cannot go on a murderous rampage.

1. 5 minutes in, you are left on the street, and it's on, no timer on cases at least for the first 5 cases, so ya. freeroam

2. no free killing, can not draw weapon or brawl on the street, AI does a very good job at dodging your car, when you do run ppl over, message comes on saying negative actions will be recorded and reported or something like that, haven't noticed any consequences yet.

3. motion scan is amazing, accusing ppl of lying is extremely fun, picking the wrong accusation (truth doubt lie)causes suspects to turn down further questioning, thus losing the lead in the case, the perfectionists would be restarting the case over and over again to get it right. you rank up based on completion

4. gameplay is standard rockstar, ajustable auto aim, gta driving, crime scene investigation is very intuitive, once object of interest is picked up by pressing x, use L stick turn it around to examine it, once a clue is discovered on the object (like a marking or a serial number) camera automatically zooms in and cues clue/notebook entry message.

http://i.imgur.com/jAhoN.jpg

Vinterbird said:
The videos all show how you have to actually look at stuff, and spot what is important in terms of evidence. The game won't point everything out to you, you have to discover stuff yourself.

When talking to people you decide what to say, and if you think they're lying, call them on it and react to it.

Thank you sir! You have earned Team Bondi a purchase.

Mik2121

Uhm.. about 5 days left? I think I will skip on Brink for now and just wait for this game...

The hands-on comments from that guy sound so awesome, even if they're very brief.

RisingZan

Neo Member
Ugh. All signs point to a PS3 purchase, but I can't shake the nagging feeling that I want this on Xbox instead. Is this an achievement addiction, or a lapse in common sense?

RisingZan said:
Ugh. All signs point to a PS3 purchase, but I can't shake the nagging feeling that I want this on Xbox instead. Is this an achievement addiction, or a lapse in common sense?

I am with you! I have seen to many multi-platform games come out and for some crazy reason its better on 360, I don't think thats the case with this game since it was a PS3 lead title before it was ported over. If PSN was up it would be a no brainer.

zomaha

Zoso said:
Someone already has the game and was posting impressions on Gamespot. However, the topic was deleted. These are the brief impressions he posted, along with a picture of the disc to prove he had it. This confirms that you cannot go on a murderous rampage.

I like that you can't just go on a rampage, there's too many potential consequences involved if this game is trying to be realistic.

Although killing someone in secret and investigating your own murder scene ala Dexter...now there's a gameplay twist I'd enjoy.

RisingZan said:

I go for multiplayer (yes/no?), then performance, then number of disks. If there's no multiplayer and the other two are equal I go 360. MP is obviously moot here, and disk swapping/possible performance issues don't outweigh delicious achievements.

EagleEyes

RisingZan said:
For me personally unless something is terrible with the 360 version I almost always go 360. I absolutely love the controller, been earning achievements since 2005 and almost all my online friends are on Live.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think I'll ever understand achievements. Is there some euphoric sensation that you get when one pops up? Is it the sound? The graphic? The addition to your gamer score? All of the above? It's obviously not just the completion of the achievement, since that is the same in the PS3 version.

All I know is that you achievement fans boggle my mind. How something so utterly insignificant will push you to buying a certain version even if it is inferior in other ways (resolution, performance, etc.), I don't think I will ever be able to comprehend.

Zefah said:
I don't think I'll ever understand achievements. Is there some euphoric sensation that you get when one pops up? Is it the sound? The graphic? The addition to your gamer score? All of the above? It's obviously not just the completion of the achievement, since that is the same in the PS3 version.

All I know is that you achievement fans boggle my mind. How something so utterly insignificant will push you to buying a certain version even if it is inferior in other ways (resolution, performance, etc.), I don't think I will ever be able to comprehend.

I was hooked for the first 2 years of having a 360, but I'm over it now. I'll gladly take a PS3 version over a 360 version if the performance is better and/or if disc swapping becomes an issue (more so trying to replay sections of the game).

The only time my 360 gets an automatic edge is with multiplayer heavy games.

Zefah said:

User investment. A lot of people have been accumulating achievements longer than trophies so they feel their 360 profile is worth more to build on.

I'm indifferent btw. I just look at both systems as 100% checklists and well...I'm a completionist.

EagleEyes

Zefah said:

For me it's much more than just achievements, although they are the original and have been there with every game i've popped into my 360 since launch. The bigger deal to me is the controller and my co-op and multiplayer buds overlive that i've played with since 2004.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Zefah said:

Competition with your friends list.

It's like going to your local arcade and saying 'I don't understand you guys playing Joust. Who cares about high scores? You should go platy it on your Atari'. Also there's absolutely no reason for you to be so uppity about it.

Top Bottom