• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Shurs

Foliorum Viridum said:
Urgh, great. His hyperbolic statements about GTA IV were so shit they actually made people angry at the game.

I'm sure he knows.

Besides, anyone who dislikes a game because someone else said something nice about it has issues of their own.

Gorgon

Most interesting stuff about that MacNamara interview:

BM: I think Red Dead foreshadows that kind of stuff: the character journey. At Rockstar, we're not really interested in archetypes any more

Since when is MacNamara from R*? This, together with R* stating that they want to incorporate that facial animation system in forthcoming games seems to indicate that Team Bondi is heading to full partnership with R* and probably will end up bought. I'm fine with that if it means less GTA and more ambitious and different stuff like LA Noire.

szaromir

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:
Nice! It's good to see a review that won’t go up the day of release for a change.

I'm going to predict a 9.0 or a 9.5 from IGN. I'm leaning more towards a 9.5....
It's IGN and it's a Rockstar game. If it gets 9.5, Rockstar must be in a poor financial state.
It's true, but I did find it annoying people projected that Oscar worthy BS onto the game and claimed that's what Rockstar was going for.
He also stated that none of the missions were repetetive or bad, when in truth 95%of them were repetetive and bad.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wouldn't read into it much. He mentions many times throughout the interview that R* had a very hands-on approach to assisting development once they took over from Sony, and that lasted many years, so it shouldn't be surprising that he considers Team Bondi part of the gang.

Or maybe he just slipped up and an announcement is forthcoming. :p I would imagine R* purchasing the studio and turning it into "Rockstar Sydney" or whatever is contingent upon LA Noire doing well, though.

CyReN said:
Just watched LA Confidential last night and loved it. Is the 2006 movie The Black Dahlia any good?

It's okay. Worth watching. Great cinematography. It feels very choppy though. The pacing is fast at times, slow at others. But it still has some great sequences in it. Probably helps if you read the book. They follow the same thread but get there differently.

Ellroy apparantly loved a longer cut of the film and refuses to comment on the final cut of the film. Although I believe there are a few videos of him at book signings talking shit about DePalma and the production.

The Black Dahlia, in the LA Quartet timeline, takes place before LA Confidential and some characters are in more than 1 book. The LA quartet are clearly the basis for the tone of LA Noire.

Gorgon

JaseC said:
I wouldn't read into it much. He mentions many times throughout the interview that R* had a very hands-on approach to assisting development once they took over from Sony, and that lasted many years, so it shouldn't be surprising that he considers Team Bondi part of the gang.

Or maybe he just slipped up and an announcement is forthcoming. :p I would imagine R* purchasing the studio and turning it into "Rockstar Sydney" or whatever is contingent upon LA Noire doing well, though.

Yeah, but with R* stating they want to use Team Bondi's tech for their own games in the future that means the relation between Team Bondi and R* is going a bit beyond the "publishing and helping out a bit in development" kind.

I've collected and have thumbnails for every single screenshot released for this game. Was going to post it in the OP (via thumbnails of course) but I think it's too big. What about if I posted it in a post and linked to that post in the OP? I think it would be cool to have a place for all of the screenshots to be easily accessible.

There are 112...

Shurs

ColonialRaptor said:
I've collected and have thumbnails for every single screenshot released for this game. Was going to post it in the OP (via thumbnails of course) but I think it's too big. What about if I posted it in a post and linked to that post in the OP? I think it would be cool to have a place for all of the screenshots to be easily accessible.

There are 112...

I feel like a post with 112 pictures in it would kill the page it's on.

It also seems like overkill.

JaseC

Gorgon said:
Yeah, but with R* stating they want to use Team Bondi's tech for their own games in the future that means the relation between Team Bondi and R* is going a bit beyond the "publishing and helping out a bit in development" kind.

True, but unless Team Bondi start using RAGE, again, I wouldn't read too much into it just yet.

Shurs said:

He mentions they're thumbnailed. That'd more or less fill a post and the thumbnails wouldn't be more than several KB in size. Maybe only post about 60, though?

I say go ahead, and then ask a mod to move the post up to the front of the thread so it's part of the OP.

Shurs said:

Yeah, that's what I think too... but it would be cool to have them all in one place... darnit, wasn't a small job preparing them all as well.

All 112 files would be thumbnails and amount to only 2.9Mb in size so I don't think it would kill the page...

JaseC said:
I say go ahead, and then ask a mod to move the post up to the front of the thread so it's part of the OP.

I posted the OP so I could put them in there anyway, I was going to do this originally but it was going to take a long long time to compile all the images.

I'll try it, if it's too death giving I'll edit them out.

Dries

Just a week almost now. Living in the Netherlands so I'll play it the 20th May. Hope I can finish God of War 3 before that.

Shurs

ColonialRaptor said:
Yeah, that's what I think too... but it would be cool to have them all in one place... darnit, wasn't a small job preparing them all as well.

All 112 files would be thumbnails and amount to only 2.9Mb in size so I don't think it would kill the page...

Why don't you just edit the thumbnails into post 5?

JaseC

ColonialRaptor said:
I posted the OP so I could put them in there anyway, I was going to do this originally but it was going to take a long long time to compile all the images.

So, you're going to post them in the OP, even though they may not fit in the OP? :p

Shurs said:
Why don't you just edit the thumbnails into post 5?

Do this and have a mod move the post up.

JaseC said:
So, you're going to post them in the OP, even though they may not fit in the OP? :p

Post 2 could probably fit them, or perhaps Post 1 (but doesn't suit the OP really).

I was actually thinking of posting them in a post on this page and then just linking that specific post number from the OP (depending on how much it taxes things).

It's more of a test to see how it looks and things first of all.

If the code won't take Post 3 over the 26,000 figure limit then I'll make the change to that.

This is why I was asking rather than just doing it and fucking things up on a whim.

JaseC

ColonialRaptor said:
Post 2 could probably fit them, or perhaps Post 1 (but doesn't suit the OP really).

I was actually thinking of posting them in a post on this page and then just linking that specific post number from the OP (depending on how much it taxes things).

It's more of a test to see how it looks and things first of all.

If the code won't take Post 3 over the 26,000 figure limit then I'll make the change to that.

This is why I was asking rather than just doing it and fucking things up on a whim.

It'd be better to make it part of the OP. Really, a few extra megs in an OT OP is nothing.

I don't think anyone called this one??

MINE!

nXsyy.png

Will fit in the 26,000 character count of a single post quite easily actually... surprising.

About to make the change.

Edit - Okay, OP now has all screenshots in it. It actually doesn't look that excessive to me. I thought it would look way bigger than it does, but it in the end, it actually looks pretty good / came out alright. Doesn't bog down or cause any problems or nothing.

Also probably spaces things better for Post 3 where all the changes and extras get added.

Nice!

keyrat

Rockstar and their annoying PR/embargoes. I have to wait until after release to know what happens if you go on a killing spree.

keyrat said:
Rockstar and their annoying PR/embargoes. I have to wait until after release to know what happens if you go on a killing spree.

People will have the game this weekend. We'll probably find out through them.

JaseC

I'm going to assume that at the very least there will be a cheat you can enable that will allow you to run wild. After all, it would be criminal of Team Bondi to give you an open-world title with guns and not let you cause as much havoc as you desire.

I think everytime you accidentally hit someone with your car you're going to get a game over screen. How can you go around investigating murders if you're killing people?

JaseC said:
I'm going to assume that at the very least there will be a cheat you can enable that will allow you to run wild. After all, it would be criminal of Team Bondi to give you an open-world title with guns and not let you cause as much havoc as you desire.

I really really hope this won't be the case.

MMaRsu

keyrat said:

YOU CANT

You CANNOT run over pedestrians ( they dive out of the way ) and you CANNOT shoot them either.
Not really surprising given who you are playing.

Kintaro said:
Ruin it? You're a cop! This isn't Saint's Row or some shit.

And on top of that it's trying to be a serious game. Having you go killing spree crazy would not be within the theme of the game, even if you weren't a cop.

lush

Kintaro said:
Who cares? It's an open world, you should be able to do what you want. I don't see what it'd hurt to give people the option.

keyrat

Kintaro said:

It adds a tremendous amount of replay value to be able to deviate and do your own thing in a sandbox game. What's the point of a sandbox if it's heavily restricted?

What's next, maybe you can't crash your car either?

Hey guys do you know if it's possible to have sex with hookers and murder them afterwards to get my money back? It's very important to my purchasing decision.

keyrat said:
It adds a tremendous amount of replay value to be able to deviate and do your own thing in a sandbox game. What's the point of a sandbox if it's heavily restricted?

What's next, maybe you can't crash your car either?

Maybe the game isn't designed to be a typical sandbox game. It very much seems like the narrative experience is the focus of the game, and therefore there really isn't a need for a sandbox world with emergent gameplay elements.

Like the Mafia games, it could just as well the be illusion of the open world, which would work just as well.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
lush said:
Who cares? It's an open world, you should be able to do what you want. I don't see what it'd hurt to give people the option.

Uh, this is NOT an open world game where you can do what you want. Nor have they ever said as such.

If you thought that, you needed to pay closer attention. Your own fault. Cancel your pre-order.

timmy01

Neo Member
guys.. it's not REALLY open world.. If you read any of the previews on it you'll see Team Bondi state that while you can veer off during cases to do other tasks, that it's not really open world in the sense that most of you are thinking (i.e. GTA, Saints Row, etc). You are able to roam the streets of LA and such, but it's not really setup like other open world games. Thus being able to destroy shit and kill pedestrians falls outside the scope of what the game is about.

JaseC said:
Why would the option of going on a rampage be a bad thing?

Because it is not within the spirit of the game. It doesn't add anything to what L.A. Noire is about, which is the narrative, characters and detective elements.

Einbroch said:
Yeah, and you get desynced...aka: you can't. I would ASSUME it's the same thing here. Kill a civilian, you lose.

Could of course have been an option. But personally I would prefer the AI to just dodge and save me that loading screen it would cause to reset everything from a "Don't kill civilians" screen.

Einbroch

Banned
JaseC said:
That'd be because you can.
Yeah, and you get desynced...aka: you can't.

EDIT: I read it wrong. It's still the same thing. I'd rather not have to worry about killing civilians and losing. I hated it in AC when I accidentally assassinated civilians while chasing a target then raging because it set me all the way across the map.

EDIT 2: I thought we could kill pedestrians. I thought it just lowered your rank/score/whatever unless you kill too many.

It's open world, but it's not really a sandbox where you can do whatever you want. It's a pretty tightly controlled and narratively linear game that happens to take place in a large open world.

Plus, you knew from the start you're playing as a good cop, it's surprising that some people didn't anticipate that there would be restrictions on you. Besides, I've never found rampaging that fun, at least not since San Andreas. I'm sure there will be plenty of baddies to shoot.

Also, killing pedestrians during cases "accidentally" isn't an instant game over (unless you kill a certain amount and above), but it definitely dings your after-case marks.

JaseC said:
That'd be because you can.

You get punished for that in AC as well.

lush

Kintaro said:
Uh, this is NOT an open world game where you can do what you want. Nor have they ever said as such.

If you thought that, you needed to pay closer attention. Your own fault. Cancel your pre-order.
The game has an open world, notice I didn't use the word "sandbox". I've known from the get-go this would be more linear a game similar to Mafia 2. Honestly though, what would it hurt to allow people to go on a rampage if they so choose? It's a simple question.

I'd also see it as rather lame if I'm in a car chase or shootout and I accidentally hit a civilian and nothing happens.

edit:
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Also, killing pedestrians during cases "accidentally" isn't an instant game over (unless you kill a certain amount and above), but it definitely dings your after-case marks..

Good deal.

Top Bottom