• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Grisby

zoner said:
Competition with your friends list.

It's like going to your local arcade and saying 'I don't understand you guys playing Joust. Who cares about high scores? You should go platy it on your Atari'. Also there's absolutely no reason for you to be so uppity about it.

Basically, this. That and user investment. Not too hard to understand why people like cheevs/trophies.

*Gah, horrible way to start a top page. On topic of LA I wish they would have released a LE edition with a in depth look on the tech. What with the actors and all.

Zefah said:
I don't think I'll ever understand achievements. Is there some euphoric sensation that you get when one pops up? Is it the sound? The graphic? The addition to your gamer score? All of the above? It's obviously not just the completion of the achievement, since that is the same in the PS3 version.

All I know is that you achievement fans boggle my mind. How something so utterly insignificant will push you to buying a certain version even if it is inferior in other ways (resolution, performance, etc.), I don't think I will ever be able to comprehend.
i love xbox and playstation almost equally. but i usually go with 360 just because with xbl it feels more like a community. i can't really explain it but when i'm playing any game on 360 it's nice seeing other friends online playing stuff. on ps3 it's alot more obvious i'm sitting quietly alone in a room.

RisingZan

Neo Member
Zefah said:
I don't think I'll ever understand achievements. Is there some euphoric sensation that you get when one pops up? Is it the sound? The graphic? The addition to your gamer score? All of the above? It's obviously not just the completion of the achievement, since that is the same in the PS3 version.

All I know is that you achievement fans boggle my mind. How something so utterly insignificant will push you to buying a certain version even if it is inferior in other ways (resolution, performance, etc.), I don't think I will ever be able to comprehend.

I hate to admit it, but achievements totally hit some Pavlovian button in my tiny brain. All others things being equal, I would take a disc swapping and achievements over a single disc and trophies. The 360 controller plays a factor in my decisions as well, but if PS3 proves to be the superior experience I would probably relent and buy it on PS3.

Sorry I can't give you better insight into the "cheevo mind"...

I also enjoy getting the achievements that change the way you play the game, like beat Mission 1 without touching the ground or only use the shotgun, achievements like that add to the replay value for me.

JetBlackPanda said:
I also enjoy getting the achievements that change the way you play the game, like beat Mission 1 without touching the ground or only use the shotgun, achievements like that add to the replay value for me.

Not being a dick but are achievements different from ps3 trophies?

Knux-Future said:

I should have said achievements / trophies I love both of them.

however I have had my gamer tag with achievements since 2005 and my PS3 since December of this year.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
zoner said:
Competition with your friends list.

It's like going to your local arcade and saying 'I don't understand you guys playing Joust. Who cares about high scores? You should go platy it on your Atari'. Also there's absolutely no reason for you to be so uppity about it.

No. Getting a high score and surviving for as long as possible was the entire point of games like Joust. That's what old school arcade games were about. In most cases, their scores were not finite, either.

Achievements are completely different.

LQX

Knux-Future said:
To me they are, achievements feel more tangible for the lack of better words. More incentive to get them than trophies.

Kintaco

Plasmid said:
Can anyone turn the second one going towards the right into an avatar for me?

:D.

This one?
XjPYu.png
WsTBE.png

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Zefah said:
No. Getting a high score and surviving for as long as possible was the entire point of games like Joust. That's what old school arcade games were about. In most cases, their scores were not finite, either.

Achievements are completely different.
No they really aren't. They're about getting a higher score to compete with people you know; they serve a purpose. Doesn't matter if it's the primary purpose or an optional purpose.

LQX said:
To me they are, achievements feel more tangible for the lack of better words. More incentive to get them than trophies.

but aren't the same requirements?

once again not trying to start anything just wondering?

BurningNad

I can't wait for this! My only problem is figuring out where to preorder, or if I should preorder at all. I don't want to give Gamestop any of my money. :|

SPACECADET said:
i love xbox and playstation almost equally. but i usually go with 360 just because with xbl it feels more like a community. i can't really explain it but when i'm playing any game on 360 it's nice seeing other friends online playing stuff. on ps3 it's alot more obvious i'm sitting quietly alone in a room.
especially when psn is dead

I'll be getting a PS3 and 360 copy on Friday so I'll try to give impressions. I assume there's a release date embargo?

SPACECADET said:
You can see what your friends are playing on PS3 also.

I think the whole community feel on XBL has to do with the dashboard. Its very active compared to the xmb.

kaskade

DevelopmentArrested said:

I'll be getting a PS3 and 360 copy on Friday so I'll try to give impressions. I assume there's a release date embargo?
The IGN review is going up Monday.

Kintaco

A few more avatars, I love some of these expressions. I can't wait for the game, I haven't been this hyped since RDR and I wasn't disappointed!

DgrnU.png
hh00B.png
C5PIw.png
Xtf8Q.png
GT9Cy.png

Fjordson

Zefah said:

It comes down to two things for me. The few friends/family I have that are console gamers are on the 360 so the comparison and competition there is fun and since the 360 came out first I've always had a big head start as far as my achievements vs. trophies go. I know it probably sounds silly, but oh well. I like dem cheevos.

As for the whole killing civilians and rampaging in the streets thing, Bondi/R* would pretty much get flak either way. If they did give you full freedom we'd constantly hear the whole "LOL Rockstar protagonist! Sposed to be a good cop but still kills everyone!!" and if they take that away, certain people will be upset at the lack of freedom.

Definitely a tough choice, but I can understand why they made the one they did.

BurningNad said:
I can't wait for this! My only problem is figuring out where to preorder, or if I should preorder at all. I don't want to give Gamestop any of my money. :|
Amazon in my opinion. That $15 in bonus credit is nice.

Lettuce

Kintaco said:
A few more avatars, I love some of these expressions. I can't wait for the game, I haven't been this hyped since RDR and I wasn't disappointed!

GT9Cy.png

Isnt that Bill or Ted's dad?????

BurningNad said:
Amazon. You'll get $15 credit towards your next purchase.

burgerdog

DevelopmentArrested said:

Sweet, can you give us some tech impressions as well? Can still switch my pre-order in time if you give us details on Friday.

burgerdog said:
Sweet, can you give us some tech impressions as well? Can still switch my pre-order in time if you give us details on Friday.
this. fuck an embargo, we can get the game from mom n pop shops on friday anyways.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
3. motion scan is amazing, accusing ppl of lying is extremely fun, picking the wrong accusation (truth doubt lie)causes suspects to turn down further questioning, thus losing the lead in the case, the perfectionists would be restarting the case over and over again to get it right. you rank up based on completion

So basically, it's Phoenix Wright meets GTA?

I hope the car chase scenes aren't as aggravating as in GTA 4 (losing your target = mission fail). What if you wreck your ride? It wouldn't do for a police officer to carjack innocent civilians.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
Lol, someone said gen pop will be disappointed when this isn't gta 1947. What a stupid comment. If gen pop wants gta 1947 let them play mafia 2. Let them stay away from my proper police officer / detective game.

GrayFoxPL

Fjordson said:
You flag down cars your badge then give an "LAPD! I need this vehicle!" and whatnot.

"LAPD! This means your fucking car is mine now and don't count on me brining it back in one piece or at all!"

Original-Blue said:
Lol, someone said gen pop will be disappointed when this isn't gta 1947. What a stupid comment. If gen pop wants gta 1947 let them play mafia 2. Let them stay away from my proper police officer / detective game.

Gen pop can suck my lollipop.

bozeman

Just put a pre-order in with Amazon since they brought back the $15 credit....even though I would have liked to go with the exclusive case at either Gamestop or Wal-mart. Hopefully those won't be too expensive as DLC later.

Talking about movies at the beginning of the thread....I have "The Black Dahalia" in my Netflix instant queue. Since that case seems to have a bearing on the game, would that be worth a watch? I've heard mixed reviews of the flick.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Haha, those icons are hilarious. The characters seem to make the goofiest facial expressions, I wonder if the actors were told to exaggerate emotions or if it just turned out like that.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
It's a great "What the hell are you talking about" face.

I'm seeing a "I can't fap to this!" face.

bozeman said:
Just put a pre-order in with Amazon since they brought back the $15 credit....even though I would have liked to go with the exclusive case at either Gamestop or Wal-mart. Hopefully those won't be too expensive as DLC later.

Talking about movies at the beginning of the thread....I have "The Black Dahalia" in my Netflix instant queue. Since that case seems to have a bearing on the game, would that be worth a watch? I've heard mixed reviews of the flick.
It's a pretty boring flick IMO. I was kinda tired already when I saw it in the theater but I nodded off a few times during it.

Zodiac it ain't.

L.A. Confidential on the other hand is fuckawesome.

Snuggler said:
Haha, those icons are hilarious. The characters seem to make the goofiest facial expressions, I wonder if the actors were told to exaggerate emotions or if it just turned out like that.

I'm absolutely sure that there is some exaggeration to their expressions - however, sometimes the expression is subtle like some of Cole's main facial expressions that show satisfaction.

Der... just work up, I am a complete numb skull at the moment

Can anyone explain to me why its called Film Noir but the game is L.A. Noire? with an E?

edit: I guess both spellings are accepted and Noire is the original french word?

I'm really looking forward to this game, and while the facial animation is highly impressive, a lot of people are overrating it. The way people (even R*) are talking about it, you'd think that you wouldn't even know you're looking at a video game.

Alucrid

Banned
Iwatas Magic Sports Coat said:
I'm really looking forward to this game, and while the facial animation is highly impressive, a lot of people are overrating it. The way people (even R*) are talking about it, you'd think that you wouldn't even know you're looking at a video game.
C5PIw.png

Cerebral Assassin said:
It's the feminine version of Noir, I assume its a play on L.A & la.

Montresor said:
In French, adjectives like "noir" (in other words, the colour black) are spelled out with an extra "e" if the object the adjective is describing is female. Los Angeles is one big pussy just waiting to get fucked. Hence we have L.A. Noire.

edit: Beaten. D=

Thanks Guys!

The tech is impressive, you can have actors act out a scene and that can be put directly into the game without having to animate an entire face (like AVATAR) you know its fake and the tech limits you a little but its a step in the right direction IMHO.

Montresor

JetBlackPanda said:
Can anyone explain to me why its called Film Noir but the game is L.A. Noire? with an E?

edit: I guess both spellings are accepted and Noire is the original french word?

In French, adjectives like "noir" (in other words, the colour black) are spelled out with an extra "e" if the object the adjective is describing is female. Los Angeles is one big pussy just waiting to get fucked. Hence we have L.A. Noire.

edit: Beaten. D=

Sethos

Banned

Because few games have even come close to what this game offers. I say it's a huge milestone in gaming tech. and I wish it becomes widely available for more developers to put it into good use at minimal cost. Could spruce up even some mediocre titles.

Sethos

Banned
Sullen said:
Why are there no reviews for this yet?

Isn't any game with Rockstar written on the box usually embargoed right up until launch almost? And then some of the "OMG 10/10" reviews will trickle out days prior?

Sullen

Sethos said:
Isn't any game with Rockstar written on the box usually embargoed right up until launch almost? And then some of the "OMG 10/10" reviews will trickle out days prior?

I seem to remember the Game Informer review for Red Dead Redemption a bit before the game was released, maybe a week or two? It was what pushed me over the edge and got me to buy it that month.

RisingZan

Neo Member
BurningNad said:

Amazon, although Best Buy is offering a pretty solid runner-up deal. If you pre-order, you get $10 in rewards zone credit and they're matching the amazon $15 gc as well. Not bad if you don't mind sales tax and giving more of your business to Best Buy down the road.

Sethos

Banned
Sullen said:
I seem to remember the Game Informer review for Red Dead Redemption a bit before the game was released, maybe a week or two? It was what pushed me over the edge and got me to buy it that month.

Could be, honestly can't remember. Just seems like a big case of déjà vu every time we wait
for a Rockstar developed or published games, asking and waiting for the reviews.

Chairhome

Saw this at Cheap Ass Gamer: Best buy is matching Toys R Us and adding a $15 gift card with online purchase. Plus a 500 RZ points ($10 gc after points clear) for pre-ordering (think you have to look for that deal on the myrewardzone site). Alternately, there's a free dlc case (Nicholson Electroplating Arson) for the first 16 people at Best Buy Midnight releases at select stores.

Top Bottom