• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Makoto

JambiBum said:
But that is the best part lol. That and his randomly punching people.
Yeah, he's a decent partner, but I wonder how the department got away with solving anything by just having mindsets like that.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Slackbladder said:
Getting this tomorrow.
But I must ask. Why are Rockstar not doing PC versions anymore? Did the criticism they received from GTA4 put them off? I really can't see any other reason. Or are they just lazy?
I think that's mainly just Bondi and the team that did RDR.

May be someone should start spoiler thread to discuss case and what not. Even with stuff black out some people still doesn't know how to do proper spoiler tag.

Anyway, several hours in on 360 and the frame hic-up seems to be at the cut scene especially when car(s) going by.

Like the game so far but hate the control scheme.

Slackbladder said:
Getting this tomorrow.
But I must ask. Why are Rockstar not doing PC versions anymore? Did the criticism they received from GTA4 put them off? I really can't see any other reason. Or are they just lazy?

I own GTA4 on the PC (twice over actually, physical disc and then Steam rebuy). I think the reason is pretty simple in business terms. I am probably oversimplifying the argument but it all boils down to profit.

X is the cost of porting to PC (this is a significant number). C is a magic number which comprises part of the original development cost to make GTA4 for consoles. Y is the profit they would make by releasing to PC. If X + C > Y, they won't release it for PC.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Atruvius said:
Have any of you switched the hint system completely off? No clue music and vibrations. Does it enhance the game in your opinion? I should get the game tomorrow and I'm thinking if I should switch off those hints.
there is no way I would do it without the music cues. In an adventure game at least they can stop you from progressing without clicking every last pixel. Here they would just let you go and you'd have no way to know if you missed something or not.

with that being said, I do have the vibration cues turned off. although all that really means is that I walk around the crime scene hitting x over and over and over :p

birdcity said:
Pic:

qyNRm.jpg

that's almost 69. love it!

rockstar games have the most outrageous bugs

Can someone explain what hint options are there that can be turned on and off? I actually kind of like the music one I've saw in a clip, but I just wanted to make sure I don't make it too easy!

Also boo Kmart for having two dozen 360 versions and no PS3 ones. Oh well so much for taking advantage of the K Mart Gamer deal.

Slackbladder said:
Getting this tomorrow.
Midnight Club: LA, RDR, and LA Noire. Yeah, I'm worried about this trend. I'd at least like to see them ship a PC version 6 months later.

But TTWO in general still seems to support the PC . . . Civilization V, Bioshock 2, Mafia 2, and even NBA 2K11 were all nice PC releases. I hope Rockstar returns to supporting the PC.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Can someone explain what hint options are there that can be turned on and off? I actually kind of like the music one I've saw in a clip, but I just wanted to make sure I don't make it too easy!

Also boo Kmart for having two dozen 360 versions and no PS3 ones. Oh well so much for taking advantage of the K Mart Gamer deal.

The two things that are toggle-able are a vibrate/chime when you're near a possible clue, and the background music turning off (after a little fanfare) when you've found all the clues in an area.

You can choose to turn off the clue buzz/chime, and to keep the background music playing so you don't know if you've found all possible clues.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
The two things that are toggle-able are a vibrate/chime when you're near a possible clue, and the background music turning off (after a little fanfare) when you've found all the clues in an area.

You can choose to turn off the clue buzz/chime, and to keep the background music playing so you don't know if you've found all possible clues.

Excellent, that's what I needed to know. Thanks! I might try the tell me when it's done, but not when I'm near. Hmm, I have to say they provided a lot of flexibility and options for players.

I want to make people squirm but it's usually Phelps that walks away with his tail between his legs in my case. Even small girls have his number. I suck.

Ergh, really screwed up the Golden Butterfly. That's all I'll say...

Still haven't got the hang of knowing when to doubt or go for truth instead. Are the eyes meant to be a tell or something?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
MarshMellow96 said:
Ergh, really screwed up the Golden Butterfly. That's all I'll say...

Still haven't got the hang of knowing when to doubt or go for truth instead. Are the eyes meant to be a tell or something?

I just go based off voice. The faces always look suspicious in this game, so that doesn't really give me much. It is annoying to be wrong on these and have cole go apeshit...

Well that ending
fucking suck!! how can we let that dirty cop get away FUCK FUCK. I just wait for Cole to pull a hitman 3 on them ALLL but never happened :(

Film critic Mark Kermode reviewed the game on The Culture Show (BBC) tonight which was great, but god-damn if one of the clips they showed didn't look like it could be a mid-to-late game spoiler. Gah!!!

Consistently getting the feeling the cases all end just when they start to get good. Interview all relevant people, find all relevant clues - boom, case over.

No mystery at all going on. No he said she said. Just search crime scene, interview A, search location B, interview C, maybe get led astray to suspect someone innocent, find missing clue, interview D, chase someone down, case solved.

Was expecting way more depth.

:/

JBuccCP

NEOPARADIGM said:
Consistently getting the feeling the cases all end just when they start to get good. Interview all relevant people, find all relevant clues - boom, case over.

No mystery at all going on. No he said she said. Just search crime scene, interview A, search location B, interview C, maybe get led astray to suspect someone innocent, find missing clue, interview D, chase someone down, case solved.

This has annoyed me a bit when I didn't feel that I had enough evidence and wanted to continue investigating but the case ended. I'd also like more followup, maybe talks with he DA and getting called to testify. Oh well.

NEOPARADIGM said:

Yea...I'm starting to see this too. After getting half the cases over in 5-6 hours, I'm reluctant to be as excited as I was. Dare I say shallow. Maybe things will get better but so far, Red Johnsons Chronicles is scratching that "detective" itch more than this. What a shame, because almost everything else about this game is great.

NEOPARADIGM said:

you prob have the guide then. B/c I consistently keep missing important clues and get some of the questioning wrong.

spiderman123 said:
you prob have the guide then. B/c I consistently keep missing important clues and get some of the questioning wrong.

For me it's not even that, even missing questions/clues I still feel like the cases are over quickly. When I saw the actual number of cases, I was shocked. I thought there would be way more considering how quick I get them done.

iNvid02

not getting very good performance on ps3, already had a few random fps slowdowns.
i even rebuilt the database and restored file system on ps3.

whats going on here

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
For me it's not even that, even missing questions/clues I still feel like the cases are over quickly. When I saw the actual number of cases, I was shocked. I thought there would be way more considering how quick I get them done.

yeah, i'm not using a guide, &, once i stopped 're-questioning' people, & doing side missions, i was surprised how easy it is to just blow thru cases (meaning i'm at least going back to doing side missions before i chew thru the whole game too fast :) )...

&, yes, the very 'formulaic' nature of the cases is yet another aspect of the game that reminds me more of dragnet than anything else...

iNvidious01 said:
not getting very good performance on ps3, already had a few random fps slowdowns.

whats going on here

I had had some FPS problems too, there was one case that took place outside near a billboard in the park and my PS3 was struggling.

:(

Quit in the middle of The Fallen Idol case for now.

Driving tasks feel too simplistic so far, and other than to fill in the numbers for street cases and locations of interest for more experience points, I'm not sure why anyone would want to keep on driving themselves when they can just auto-drive with the partner as it can be annoying to work out the patterns and driving habits of the AI which seem oblivious to your car's presence until it's too late. Traffic feels too random (seems like almost every intersection a four-way stop despite what the lights can look like). On top of that, the feel of driving isn't particularly enjoyable.

Loads of on-foot chases. Maybe too many. Considering how limited in scope the action seems to be, at this point, I'm wondering if I won't be missing an option to auto-chase the fleeing person(s) sooner than later.

Fighting seems about the same as GTA IV and that means it's functional, but not much more.

Shooting is also plain and gets the job done, but the cover system and moving from place to place in a gunfight seems far too clunky and problematic in some of the street cases I've done so far. (Feels especially weak compared to Mafia II, which is hard to not compare to.) Hope that this doesn't become an issue later when things presumably get more complicated and/or difficult.

Scene investigation and clue/evidence gathering is a lot more simplistic and more vague than I was thinking it might be. I'd bother to type up my issues if I could articulate them better at the moment, but I'll say that I just don't feel like I'm discovering or detecting much that isn't blatantly thrown out there for me to see or having to simply luck into everything and only then finding what may be important because the game says it is. I know there's a limit to what is possible with the concept before it becomes unrealistic to produce and/or more tedious than real life investigations...but I was hoping for better suggestion in the related dialogue and case information that could lead me to follow a pattern of logic for looking for specific things without having it feeling so binary (obvious or very indistinct).

The interrogations and questioning scenes feel a bit too hit or miss mainly because there's only so much to do, similar to finding keywords in older graphic adventures based on conversations with other NPCs or finding new information tied to the clue-finding segments. Simple by limitation yet often annoyingly obtuse even with so little possible to see. Thanks to the quality of acting and the faces, the truth/doubt/lie decisions produces some of the funniest unintentional moments when the tone of the session turns on a dime, though.

The facial animation rocks even if it looks a bit creepy at times the way it tends to feel completely apart from the separately-captured body capture and performance. Visuals are very nice even if it does have some minor issues with framerate and IQ.

Soundtrack is motherfucking great. Dialogue and acting is, compared to 99% of other games, excellent and genuinely fun.

Even though they're different animals, this is more the direction where modern graphic action-adventures should be heading versus Heavy Rain's super-streamlined, always panicky experience. Holding a stick forward and steering myself during a chase is dead simple, but it's more satisfyingly involving than keeping up with a bunch of on-screen button and control prompts. Also, it definitely takes some thinking and deductive skill to play through some parts of even these early cases successfully.

Still, this seems like a heavily passive experience despite an increase in the need to pay attention to all of the dialogue and performances. Still, comes across as the best stab at the whole interactive movie thing, so far.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Taling missions suck, in a car they are alright but on foot it is in a pain in the ass. On disc 3 right now, loving the game but it is frustrating at times.

Great game, I'm loving it. The tutorial sucked as others have mentioned (I had to keep watching the same cutscenes over and over messing up the first interview) but I have been enjoying it ever since.
I kind of wish I got the 360 version just so I can do a full install and not have to spin the disc. I keep playing well into the night and turn the volume down but the disc makes loud reading noises during the conversations.

Montresor

Some questions:

1) When I reach maximum rank, will it still be possible to earn intuition points? So far it seems like I only get intuition points when I rank up.

2) What did I miss when I got promoted to
homicide
? Why did the boss say I was promoted from
burglary to homicide
?

3) I just unlocked
the Streets Of LA Free Roam for the Traffic desk. Are there unique street crimes for each desk's free roam
?

Also, the 360 version is running beautifully, but sometimes the framerate gets disgusting.

Grisby

iNvidious01 said:

whats going on here

Same on 360. Game doesn't have that stable of a framerate. Kinda sucks because besides the faces I don't see what the game is pushing.

Iceman

Kelso is the teacher's assistant in Friday Night Lights, right?

Friday Night Lights spoiler:
The guy that sleeps with the coach's daughter? (current plot point that's about to blow up on tomorrow night's episode)

iNvidious01 said:

whats going on here

Same here. Sometimes the game is nearly unplayable.

JKTrix

TheFuryMGS3 said:
Trust me, the frames occur at the most cinematic breaking moments
I just started up my Gamefly 360 copy, after install--the game seriously stuttered during the first few seconds of the intro cutscene. Intro cutscene is still going right now though, smoothly.

Fjordson

JKTrix said:
I just started up my Gamefly 360 copy, after install--the game seriously stuttered during the first few seconds of the intro cutscene. Intro cutscene is still going right now though, smoothly.
Strangely, that was the worst dip in framerate I've had so far. After that it's a lot more stable.

Havok

Montresor said:
Some questions:
2) What did I miss when I got promoted to
homicide
? Why did the boss say I was promoted from
burglary to homicide
?

Also, the 360 version is running beautifully, but sometimes the framerate gets disgusting.
I assume that the burglary desk is one of the two desks they said they cut. I think it'd be really interesting if they're planning on releasing it as DLC.

And yeah, the PS3 version has some (mostly) minor framerate issues as well, but there are a few places (especially locations with heavy foliage) that it just goes to total shit.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So can someone explain the star rating system?

I managed to get every single clue, 10/13 questions correct, and barely any city damage or vehicle damage and
arrested the fruit vendor
which the notes basically said was the best outcome.

And I got fucking 2 stars. This game is actually starting to make me not want to play it when the computer yells at me no matter how well I did

Does installing this game make a difference besides loading? Because the loading is not bad at all and if its the only upside to installing im gonna save my time and hard drive space.

Makoto

Just finished LA Noire. Just going to post some quick impressions while the credits are rolling in the background.

+The level of immersion as you play the role of a detective is through the roof.
+Facial animations (when they're done properly) in connection with body movement are fantastic.
+The soundtrack is fantastic.

-When facial animations and body movement aren't appropriated animated together (which is the majority of the time), it comes off as very awkward and sort of embarrassing.
-I could sometimes see the face fade from the normal face to the recorded motion.
-Driving sucks.
-Shooting sucks.
-Not enough
Stefan Bekowsky
or
Herschel Biggs (who were the only good partners).

The story.

-
The character of Cole really didn't grab me. By the end of the main story, I was more attached to Jack Kelso in the first hour than I was in the many hours playing as Cole Phelps.
-
Not enough character development all around.
-
The game barely hints at Cole's interest in Elsa.
-
To add, the impact of Cole having an affair with Elsa doesn't hit you because it barely hints at anything type of attraction between Cole and Elsa. As a result, giving Cole a wife just seems like a plot device so that Phelps would have a reason to be demoted. The fact that his wife is only mentioned a few times in the game only emphasizes how much of a plot device she was.
-
Roy Earle is an asshole.
-
The antagonists aren't antagonistic enough. Who are the main villains of this game?
-As a result, the ending
sucks.
-
The pacing is just not good. The desks seem loosely connected. The last villain is some guy from Phelps ordered to flush out a cave, the same guy who isn't even introduced to the player by name or face until about an hour prior to finding him in the act.

Top Bottom