• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Tobor said:
It comes out harsh because you're trying to scare/intimidate the suspect into admitting the truth.
it almost might have been better if Team Bondi made the three options:

Believe
Intimidate
Disprove

Or something like that. I think a lot of people are viewing Doubt as a "lite" form of Lie. "I don't think I have the evidence, so maybe I can get at least something out of them by doubting them". Doubt is really intimidate often.. or badger :p

aristotle

Does the miles counter in your stats go up at all if your partner is doing all the driving?

Also, I have yet to get the trophy for driving 80 mph for 10 seconds when my stats say I've done it for 84 seconds. I guess they count all the time together to get that stat?

Evlar

Banned
netguy503 said:
But it started fine my first play through. I don't know what is wrong. I've already played it for 2 hours. I don't know what's wrong.
Check the inner ring of the disc. Sometimes they'll crack- a manufacturing defect that propagates as the disc is used. Everything will be fine at first, but once the crack reaches the data portion of the disc it won't load up.

Just my guess from prior experience.

Got the game today and played about 3 hours of it; love it so far. Playing it in black and white and it's quite the good looking game and the facial animations are incredible.

Shooting isn't great but I've gotten used to it and I'm really enjoying the game. One thing that annoyed me though was when I was chasing someone I was given my gun so I assumed I was meant to shoot them in the leg or something; didn't work out...

Plasmid

Okay, so i'm now on arson, and oh my god, FUCK ROY, seriously, ratting cole out? Fuck him, this is literally killing the game for me. :(.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kintaro said:
Lets not go nuts here. In the end, it turns out that it is a Phoenix Wright/PC adventure game.

A far cry from this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAFpxEi4Rqg To compare, he is the GTA IV TV commerial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVZ8b75w6vM

Sorry. People see "Rockstar," they think open world. Not adventure game.

Phoenix Wright stuff/PC adventure game elements in a fully realized 3D world with full control over your character sounds like a pretty unique experience to me.

Makoto

Plasmid said:
Okay, so i'm now on arson, and oh my god, FUCK ROY, seriously, ratting cole out? Fuck him, this is literally killing the game for me. :(.
He's an asshole. Before I got him as a partner and when I did.
I knew that guy was a scumbag and it didn't make Vice very enjoyable having him around.

Shorty11857 said:
Got the game today and played about 3 hours of it; love it so far. Playing it in black and white and it's quite the good looking game and the facial animations are incredible.

Shooting isn't great but I've gotten used to it and I'm really enjoying the game. One thing that annoyed me though was when I was chasing someone I was given my gun so I assumed I was meant to shoot them in the leg or something; didn't work out...
on SOME people you chase, as you aim at them, a meter fills up. you don't want to shoot at them, you want to keep aiming at them. if you can fill the meter, then you'll fire a warning shot in the air and they will give up trying to run away (yes, the mechanic makes no sense, but whatever).

if there is no meter when you aim at them, it means you have to chase them until a scripted event occurs.

borghe said:
the issue here is with your statement "quite a few" in regards to an album. If "quite a few" on an album meant 7 out of 9 tracks are awful, of course it's not a good album. if "quite a few" meant like 3 out of 9 tracks, I'm still going to call the album really great (IMHO).

Same thing here. While the driving and shooting segments might show a lack of effort or polish (btw, much more agreeable than "terrible" or "broken"), they are a very small part of the game when it comes down to it. Heck, skip all of the side missions and the amount of shooting so far would drop down to maybe a handful of sequences and forced driving even fewer than that.

I mean really, I'm not disputing your overall criticisms of either.. just the emphasis that they really have on gameplay. if it was a game where you were forced to spend the majority of your time shooting or driving... yeah, big problem. but the majority of your time in this game is forced as investigation and interrogation. that is the real meat of the game, and it's pulled off incredibly well while not being negatively affected by rather run of the mill shooting/driving sequences. Clearly it seems you were going into this game with an expectation that there would be a large emphasis on those activities and have come away disappointed with the fact that that's not the case.. I can certainly empathize with that.

I really appreciate you explaining your position more thoroughly.. yeah, I was already getting this is where you were going with it.... simply put, this is not an action game, and at times tries to pretend to be one. I can live with that assessment. For me, that's a great way to explain the original Police Quest (pre-SWAT) titles also, which is what I was most hoping for. Would more solid of driving and shooting sequences have made this game even better? Of course.. but obviously Team Bondi had to place their priorities, and it seems that those aspects of the game ranked rather low to instead focus on the other three major areas (performances, investigation and interrogation)

maybe we'll see those two areas drastically beefed up in a sequel..

fwiw the action portion at the end of the fallen idol
I found VERY enjoyable. the shooting was fun enough and the chase on foot was pretty great. though I already view it as just mindless thriller, to the point that I will usually grab the first rifle or tommy gun I find and just breeze through the shootout at hand with that.

Okay. I agree with pretty much everything you just said :). I apologise for struggling to sufficiently articulate what I meant and I thank you for being so able in articulating yourself!

And yes, I do agree that my 'album analogy' was somewhat harsh in retrospect. What I'm getting at, I guess, is that the shooting segments in this game make sense; they're a welcome change of pace from all the questioning and interrogating and walking around and pressing X, etc. I'd definitely think it fitting for shootouts to occasionally pop up in a somewhat rogue detective's career - especially in the context of a video game. The problem is that they're really not good. At all. Ha. And the fact that I know what COULD have been is what kills me.

I won't lie. I like shooting things in video games. I've also learned that I love being a detective now, as well. It's just a shame that these 2 facets of gameplay are at polar opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of quality and execution. I mean, there's not much else to do in an open-world. I guess this game isn't right up my alley as I was maybe hoping. Like I've said, I think I'd have a vastly different opinion had the game consisted 100% of what it does so well, rather than seemingly tacking on an open-world and lackluster mechanics.

AH, WELL. More power to those who are enjoying it!

Plasmid

vidal said:
He's an asshole. Before I got him as a partner and when I did.
I knew that guy was a scumbag and it didn't make Vice very enjoyable having him around.
But seriously, for a whore and to protect higher ups fucking a broad? Low as fuck, but i'm loving coles transition, and the reaction from everyone, to the small talk you hear walking around, to cut scenes.

Sometimes I stay a long time on one question. It can help to pause and check the log for the last statement and use the right stick to see the person of interest's face while reviewing evidence. It's somewhat useful when you want to distinguish between lie and doubt. From my experience (I'm on my second vice case), liars don't want to look at Phelps, people who aren't completely sure or honest make "derp" faces, but naturally always check your list of clues.

Edit: Oh yeah. I chased a suspect down the street, who TRIPPED OVER PEOPLE IN A RESTAURANT and FELL TO THE FLOOR. I had no button prompts to arrest him or a cut to scene to arrest him. I had to chase him some more until I could tackle him. What the fuck, man?

As someone who has been interrogated by the police, the sudden tone changes don't feel all that accurate. The good cop/bad cop dynamic is a lot more accurate. They should have your partner chime in with the harsher comments to press the witness/suspect.

plagiarize said:
on SOME people you chase, as you aim at them, a meter fills up. you don't want to shoot at them, you want to keep aiming at them. if you can fill the meter, then you'll fire a warning shot in the air and they will give up trying to run away (yes, the mechanic makes no sense, but whatever).

if there is no meter when you aim at them, it means you have to chase them until a scripted event occurs.

Ah cool thanks, was wondering how you pull off a warning shot

I'm hoping the story keeps up quality wise, Red Dead was a bit of a roller coaster in terms of quality

I had am amazing end to the first Homicide case.

Galloway was shooting at Mendez's car until the engine blew. His car flew into the air sideways, landed on top of my car until I hit the breaks and it slipped off. I then got out and arrested him while his car was missing all the doors and windows

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Hey Xbox 360 guys!

I was wondering what kind of DVD case does this game come with?
Is it the:
3 discs stacked on one spindle
2 discs stacked on spindle & one on a flap
1 disc on a spindle & 2 on a flap
or
1 on spindle & 2 in trash bag

??

I know its trivial but this is something im really interested in.

Also, is there really a framerate problem, or is it something people are nitpicking about?

SuperSonic1305 said:

Galloway was shooting at Mendez's car until the engine blew. His car flew into the air sideways, landed on top of my car until I hit the breaks and it slipped off. I then got out and arrested him while his car was missing all the doors and windows

I had a similar experience. It was such a great case.

Hey Xbox 360 guys!

I was wondering what kind of DVD case does this game come with?
Is it the:
3 discs stacked on one spindle
2 discs stacked on spindle & one on a flap
or
1 on spindle & 2 in trash bag

??

I know its trivial but this is something im really interested in.

Also, is there really a framerate problem, or is it something people are nitpicking about?
Black_Stride
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Black_Stride
Find More Posts by Black_Stride
Add Black_Stride to Your Buddy List

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
SuperSonic1305 said:

Pretty sure that's scripted, but it is awesome. Happened to me too.

shwimpy

Just finished the
The Studio Secretary Murder
Case and now I'm running out of steam... I'm just not motivated to finish the game. The game is too repetitive for my tastes and the cases just aren't interesting enough.

Please tell me it gets better. Does it change up a bit when I become Vice or Arson?

JonCha

So I'm done for today. Played most of this afternoon and have hit the 21% mark. My impressions thus far:

+ The facial animations are just fantastic. Usually I turn subtitles on to skip the voice acting because it becomes really boring to me. In this I don't have them on at all - the cutscenes and the dialog are fantastic. Of course there is going to be some disparity between the paralinguistic movements and the rest of the body. Generally though it's seemed fine.

+ The graphics are good, though not great. Some textures look a bit rough on the floor (litter on the road, for example) but apart from that it's nice.

+ Driving and running/walking mechanics seem really good. I picked up the driving straight away, and can go around corners perfectly with skidding out (break). I also like that the game forces you to walk: it definitely adds to the realism, even to the extent of walking down/up stairs (a pet hate of mine has been when a character walks up stairs and they skip about five steps during each stride).

+ So far cases seem really interesting. The core structure is the same - search, interrogate, arrest - but with the variation in dialogue and the chase scenes littered throughout reach case feels different to me. Chases scenes are actually brilliant because they are very tense and pressure-focused, especially when
you are running at the top of the movie set and the wooden bridge falls behind you

- Cover mechanics are very average. I keep wanting to run out from cover by holding forward like Mass Effect, not slide around the cover by holding RB and up and then holding forward to run. I guess this is the only point where I wish you would run automatically.

- Similarly, the shooting is really barebones. It's very much like RDR, which is bad in my opinion. I don't really like having just a small dot in the middle of my screen for every single weapon whether it's automatic or semi-automatic. There's also no ammo counter which seemed a bit dumb.

- L.A. itself does need some work. The street crime/cases are alright, the unlockable cars are average (they're very similar, and you can't view one in the menu and select it to drive in Free Roam say) and day/night transitions would be nice. Just basic things could add a lot more.

- Regarding unlockables I think you have to be the type of player who inherently likes to search for additional content. I was actually looking for a
police badge
and found something else (
golden film reel
). I do like the
different suits
though, and how they're changed around for you from time to time.

That's it for now I think. Undoubtedly I will think of something as soon as I post this. One thing I would like to say it that I think the Rockstar label has been both very good and very bad. When journalists are reporting that this is a game from Rockstar, the casual consumer will just think they developed it and will then expect a fundamental GTA experience. L.A. Noire just isn't like that, despite borrowing some elements, and very much relies on a more linear experience to convey the authentic detective model. As the media have said, being able to massacre L.A. would fit into the Noire experience.

Tobor

borghe said:
it almost might have been better if Team Bondi made the three options:

Believe
Intimidate
Disprove

Or something like that. I think a lot of people are viewing Doubt as a "lite" form of Lie. "I don't think I have the evidence, so maybe I can get at least something out of them by doubting them". Doubt is really intimidate often.. or badger :p

I think what you're saying is position the choice as what you will do, rather than what you think? Explicitly state the character's reaction?

Atruvius

Have any of you switched the hint system completely off? No clue music and vibrations. Does it enhance the game in your opinion? I should get the game tomorrow and I'm thinking if I should switch off those hints.

Makoto

JambiBum said:
I miss Rusty already :(.
Rusty:
Don't make any assumptions until you've seen all the evidence.

Cole: What have we got?
Coroner:
Dead female, strangled.
Rusty:
IT WAS PROBABLY THE BOYFRIEND.

Coroner:
Dead female, beaten.
Rusty:
IT WAS PROBABLY THE HUSBAND.

Coroner:
Dead female, stabbed.
Rusty:
IT WAS PROBABLY THE SPOUSE.

Coroner:
Dead female, strangled.
Rusty:
TRUST ME, IT'S ALWAYS THE BOYFRIEND.

vidal said:
Rusty:

Coroner:
Dead female, strangled.
Rusty:

Coroner:
Dead female, beaten.
Rusty:

Coroner:
Dead female, stabbed.
Rusty:

Coroner:
Dead female, strangled.
Rusty:

Rusty:
9 out of 10 Domestics, Cole.

shwimpy

Atruvius said:
Have any of you switched the hint system completely off? No clue music and vibrations. Does it enhance the game in your opinion? I should get the game tomorrow and I'm thinking if I should switch off those hints.
Honestly, it didn't even matter to me. If you're an OCD gamer like me, you like to check every inch of a crime scene anyway regardless of whether the piece of evidence is relevant or irrelevant. I can't imagine how many
bottles
I picked up in the beginning of the game, all of which were irrelevant. I turned off both from the start and I still usually end up with 4 or 5 stars on each case.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
DoctorWho said:
Can you say what you didn't like without spoiling a thing?

It just seems like things happen without much development. And I agree with the person complaining about the ending.

imo it felt like it got worse the more I kept playing. I still enjoyed it but whatever. I don't get a hard-on for Rockstar stories though

plagiarize said:
I was wondering what that meter was for.

Do you have to pull the trigger to shoot the warning shot or is it automatic?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
TheFuryMGS3 said:
Didn't it feel disjointed and undercooked? Coming from the epicness that was RDR it feels like the story telling was the weakest part

IMO it fell apart at the
end of the vice cases. You probably know what I'm talking about.

Wario64 said:
IMO it fell apart at the
end of the vice cases. You probably know what I'm talking about.

To be honest
it fell apart for me during the homicide cases when I realized the killer was a bar temp after the second case in the series. It was further eroded with the awful affair, I had no idea who the german lady was prior besides that she preformed. The worst was the ending......... It was so flat. I don't care that cole died.......

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Fix that spoiler son

Anyway, I agree with what you said too but didn't bother me TOO much. Anyway, gonna move this convo to the spoiler thread cause I think we're gonna piss people off.

JetBlackPanda said:
it would be nice if Spoiler could be a button like Bold when creating a thread so that stuff doesn't happen.

I'm shocked this hasn't happened yet. I've seen it on other forums. Should be standard.

Dabanton

Whoa looks like i just missed a critical spoiler.

Preview your posts folks at least you can see wether you've tagged it properly.

JambiBum

vidal said:
Rusty:

Coroner:
Dead female, strangled.
Rusty:

Coroner:
Dead female, beaten.
Rusty:

Coroner:
Dead female, stabbed.
Rusty:

Coroner:
Dead female, strangled.
Rusty:
But that is the best part lol. That and his randomly punching people.

Getting this tomorrow.
But I must ask. Why are Rockstar not doing PC versions anymore? Did the criticism they received from GTA4 put them off? I really can't see any other reason. Or are they just lazy?

alterno69

Banned
I have no problem with the driving, i'm actually great at it, even my 4 year old son comments on how my driving has improved lol. The shooting is fun cause of the auto aim, it's not meant to be am action game but it's thwre cause is realistic since you're a law enforcer.

Top Bottom