• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

TheExodu5

Banned
I realize it's a completely different type game, but I think I'd have to give the edge in story, acting, and the general reenactment of the time period to Mafia 2.

TheExodu5

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:
Is there a way to subdue a suspect who is holding a hostage without killing him?

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope so...?

Not as far as I'm aware. There's far too much shooting in this game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ColonialRaptor said:
Is there a way to subdue a suspect who is holding a hostage without killing him?

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope so...?

Nope! Shoot him in the head. I've tried shooting him in the hand, he just kills the hostage...the side missions all force loads of killing.

tiff said:
My brother actually brought this up too while I was playing. Phoenix Wright seems to be about a small selection of very intricate cases, while this game is much broader. I think Phoenix Wright's approach makes for the better game, but I appreciate L.A. Noire's direction as well. So far, anyway.

I see what LA Noire is going for, I just think it attempts far too much and because of it all the elements are watered down from the level they should be at. Shooting is mediocre, overworld is boring and not needed, side missions are repetitive and stupid, etc. It's hard to immerse myself into the detective parts because of the game constantly telling you if you're wrong, and the interrogations have super abrupt character changes that also don't feel normal at all. I love the actual walking around getting evidence, but that's pretty much it so far...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Finally finished the game. Loved the beginning but
WTF is with that ending? I don't know how to describe but how the beginning of the game seemed so amazing and then falls apart as the game progressively approaches the end.

brentech

Papercuts said:
Nope! Shoot him in the head. I've tried shooting him in the hand, he just kills the hostage...the side missions all force loads of killing.
I once shot a guy holding a hostage in the weapon hand, he dropped the weapon and the scene cut to black with him standing up.
YET, the next scene showed his body being collected as if I had killed him.

So yeah, that was disheartening.

Papercuts said:

I see what LA Noire is going for, I just think it attempts far too much and because of it all the elements are watered down from the level they should be at. Shooting is mediocre, overworld is boring and not needed, side missions are repetitive and stupid, etc. It's hard to immerse myself into the detective parts because of the game constantly telling you if you're wrong, and the interrogations have super abrupt character changes that also don't feel normal at all. I love the actual walking around getting evidence, but that's pretty much it so far...

Damn!

So if you don't stop a suspect who's running (such as the Marriage one
that Sabo dude?[spoiler
) before he takes a hostage then you don't get to interrogate?

God damn I hate that... I love interrogation and I've stuffed it twice now and only got to have one interrogation so far and that was just the introductory BEAT interrogation :/

BOO URNS!

I also think I enjoy this game a bit more when I actually drive from place to place from time to time. If I just skip the driving every time I feel like I'm just 'rushing' through it for the sake of it and miss watching and absorbing this beautifully realised city.

One thing I wish I could do though is get in a plane or a helicopter so that I could fly over the city or at least see it from an aerial perspective... it's such a beautiful place to behold.

The way the areas of the city change, and look different is great, it really makes clear the difference in society back then as well - there was a much more clear division from commercial to industrial to residential. Also, you can really tell that coming out of war time the value of human life was at an all time low. It would have been an amazing time to have lived I would imagine. Thanks to the war the technological advancements at the time were through the roof so there would have been so many changes happening so damn fast and that would have been crazy, and then the war would have ended and people coming back affected by the war, used to killing, used to death and then BAM back to the normal life, but things were different - everything had changed. It's a really unique look into life back then and I really like that.

I just dislike that I'm really hit and miss on my estimation of how to read the people so far... I know that choosing lie is a very rare option and should ONLY be done when I have absolute evidence to refute what the person just said, but sometimes I think I've chosen evidence to refute what they've said in a particular way
like saying that adrian black hadn't left for Seattle yet because his train ticket was still at home but that didn't fucken work WHAT!!?!
and that is just a bit frustrating. The next step for this type of game, and for this type of thing to REALLY go the next step is for it t have an active intuition system in which you really choose what to say, and you base the questioning and say the things you want to say based on how YOU would say it (either by microphone or whatever) and the evidence isn't canned either, you search throughout the house, find anything that you think is evidence or not and use it however you see fit or not - essentially like real life. I guess that's kind of a pretty big next step though. I think sometimes I'm over thinking things too. I also HATE it when I get things wrong and feel like I want to re-start the case. I have to start accepting when I get the questions wrong, but it's hard to accept... I've considered looking up guides in order to help work my way through it all perfectly if I can't for sure work out what the correct way to answer a question is only THEN look it up (it's sort of like using intuition points) but then I would severely hurt my enjoyment of the game. So I guess I'm just going to continue playing and really just try and accept whatever choices I make from now on.

on the adrian black detail:

it was a used train ticket from his last trip to Seattle, so it didn't prove that he'd left town... and he hadn't left town.

Tawpgun

I really hope this game does well in sales. I can see the potential.

This game is kind of like Assassins Creed 1. Very repetitive, bare bones combat. A sequel would improve on all of these.

Either make it LA Noire 2, or choose a different city/time period. Prohibition Era mafia? Chicago? New York? The 60's? 80's Miami?

Papercuts

ColonialRaptor said:
Damn!

So if you don't stop a suspect who's running (such as the Marriage one
that Sabo dude?[spoiler
) before he takes a hostage then you don't get to interrogate?

God damn I hate that... I love interrogation and I've stuffed it twice now and only got to have one interrogation so far and that was just the introductory BEAT interrogation :/

BOO URNS!

----------------------------------

I just dislike that I'm really hit and miss on my estimation of how to read the people so far... I know that choosing lie is a very rare option and should ONLY be done when I have absolute evidence to refute what the person just said, but sometimes I think I've chosen evidence to refute what they've said in a particular way
like saying that adrian black hadn't left for Seattle yet because his train ticket was still at home but that didn't fucken work WHAT!!?!
and that is just a bit frustrating. The next step for this type of game, and for this type of thing to REALLY go the next step is for it t have an active intuition system in which you really choose what to say, and you base the questioning and say the things you want to say based on how YOU would say it (either by microphone or whatever) and the evidence isn't canned either, you search throughout the house, find anything that you think is evidence or not and use it however you see fit or not - essentially like real life. I guess that's kind of a pretty big next step though. I think sometimes I'm over thinking things too. I also HATE it when I get things wrong and feel like I want to re-start the case. I have to start accepting when I get the questions wrong, but it's hard to accept... I've considered looking up guides in order to help work my way through it all perfectly if I can't for sure work out what the correct way to answer a question is only THEN look it up (it's sort of like using intuition points) but then I would severely hurt my enjoyment of the game. So I guess I'm just going to continue playing and really just try and accept whatever choices I make from now on.

Some people are uncatchable, it seems like 99% of them are all scripted and they either go too fast for you to catch, or they slow down so you can tackle/you can actually use your gun and fire a warning shot. Randomly you get chases where you just don't have a gun at all while you chase, which usually means they're about to get a hostage(where you materialize a gun out of thin air to shoot them in the head), or you need to follow them to x spot before you stop them. I don't recall with your example if it was possible to stop him, but if it is you just arrest him, no interrogation.

I have been pretty spot on with using lie correctly, but I think interrogations are straight up broken. Truth and doubt cross paths far too often, doubt randomly becomes accuse, but other times he presses for more information. At times truth just makes him completely lose a lead, sometimes he presses. It's insanely frustrating.

A27 Tawpgun said:

This game is kind of like Assassins Creed 1. Very repetitive, bare bones combat. A sequel would improve on all of these.

Either make it LA Noire 2, or choose a different city/time period. Prohibition Era mafia? Chicago? New York? The 60's? 80's Miami?

I like Assassin's Creed 1 more than most, I still feel it has a much better grasp of the actual assassinations than either of the sequels do. I can't give L.A. Noire the same praise on the detective stuff. I think the main way to make this type of game satisfying is base it on modern times, which all the current technology. Make the game with less cases so you can fully develop them all, have more potential suspects, but have the means to actually be able to plot out how each crime was pulled off.

A27 Tawpgun said:

I was thinking 1970's California with the Zodiac Killer.

I would love more open interrogations in the next one too. I want to slam heads into desks and kick chairs out from under perps.

Makoto

The thing about accusing someone of lying is that you really cannot rely on just the notebook wording because the notes within it leave out important details. Sometimes it will require that you pay attention to what Phelps said when he found the evidence or what the person being interrogated said because the notebook will leave out vital info. I learned this with The Gas Man case where
you're accusing Ryan of lying about not knowing how to reverse the valve for the heater. If you look in your notebook for evidence proving that he's lying, there's no particular piece of evidence, just vague items that seem like evidence against him but aren't. The true evidence though is the InstaHeat manager's statements because he said in his interrogation with Phelps that workers are trained to know how to handle and reverse the valves, but that information isn't within the notes under that piece of evidence in the notebook at all.

But even with the Adrian Black thing,
when Phelps found the ticket, he did mention it had been used.

I have to say I am really enjoying the dialogue between the various characters. The game is such a weird hybrid point and click adventure and RPG dialogue choice. I generally haven't even bothered with the driving. The game is odd, but fun and I don't fell like it's too passive. I did go in with low expectations, but I'm happy I got it.

burgervan

I'm enjoying the game, but the repetition is starting to annoy me. There's simply not enough variations in cases to sustain such a lengthy game. And I'm not even done with homicide yet!
The interrogations are the only really interesting part and even those are wildly inconsistent.

Honestly, I've had more fun doing detective work in certain Fallout missions.

Papercuts

vidal said:
The thing about accusing someone of lying is that you really cannot rely on just the notebook wording because the notes within it leave out important details. Sometimes it will require that you pay attention to what Phelps said when he found the evidence or what the person being interrogated said because the notebook will leave out vital info. I learned this with The Gas Man case where
you're accusing Ryan of lying about not knowing how to reverse the valve for the heater. If you look in your notebook for evidence proving that he's lying, there's no particular piece of evidence, just vague items that seem like evidence against him but aren't. The true evidence though is the InstaHeat manager's statements because he said in his interrogation with Phelps that workers are trained to know how to handle and reverse the valves, but that information isn't within the notes under that piece of evidence in the notebook at all.

But even with the Adrian Black thing,
when Phelps found the ticket, he did mention it had been used.

One weird thing with that case with Adrian was
showing the broken home repaired glasses after she says they were new. Showing the glasses makes cole say "you know because you were there!"...so I backed out and doubted instead. And he then basically said "you killed him!". You have to say truth to it, and I don't recall that detail ever getting mentioned again.

REV 09

TheExodu5 said:
I realize it's a completely different type game, but I think I'd have to give the edge in story, acting, and the general reenactment of the time period to Mafia 2.
after playing through Mafia 2 on pc over the holidays, i was shocked to see the low scores for it. The story was really good, and the gameplay mechanics were also good. Sure it had a lot of driving, but i thought it had enough going for it to forgive that flaw.

GTA IV was at least as flawed as Mafia 2; the disparity between those two games' scores is baffling. I haven't played Noire yet.

plagiarize said:
on the adrian black detail:

it was a used train ticket from his last trip to Seattle, so it didn't prove that he'd left town... and he hadn't left town.

Ahh... well see, I guess that was my fault then! I missed it. Well that's okay.

TheExodu5

Banned
REV 09 said:
after playing through Mafia 2 on pc over the holidays, i was shocked to see the low scores for it. The story was really good, and the gameplay mechanics were also good. Sure it had a lot of driving, but i thought it had enough going for it to forgive that flaw.

GTA IV was at least as flawed as Mafia 2; the disparity between those two games' scores is baffling. I haven't played Noire yet.

Yeah I'm pretty baffled as well. The controls were also absolutely spot on. Best open world controls I have ever experienced. Hell, I'd say they're probably the best third person shooter controls I've experienced as well. Even the gunplay wasn't half bad. The shotgun was amazing. The game had mediocre parts to it, but overall, it was a pretty fantastic game.

I didn't expect to backlash this fast on L.A. Noire. Seems it always happens around the 10 hour mark with Rockstar games...

THRILLH0

Banned
Papercuts said:
One weird thing with that case with Adrian was
showing the broken home repaired glasses after she says they were new. Showing the glasses makes cole say "you know because you were there!"...so I backed out and doubted instead. And he then basically said "you killed him!". You have to say truth to it, and I don't recall that detail ever getting mentioned again.

I chose lie assuming that
the repaired glasses would refute her "new" claim.

It seemed janky at first but then I realised it was kinda cool because
even though it never comes up in the game, it would make sense that Black would take his new glasses when he left for Seattle and leave the old pair at the scene.

Papercuts

AShep said:
I chose lie assuming that
the repaired glasses would refute her "new" claim.

It seemed janky at first but then I realised it was kinda cool because
even though it never comes up in the game, it would make sense that Black would take his new glasses when he left for Seattle and leave the old pair at the scene.

Yeah, it makes sense, but it's incredibly weird to subject the player to that. Your evidence is broken glasses, she says they were new, the obvious thing for the player to do is to say lie or doubt, but both of those instead make cole flip out and say she's the killer, which is not at all what the player is thinking at that point.

burgervan

I just played Mafia 2 a few months ago and yeah, it's less daring, but ultimately a better game than L.A. Noire. I wish I had a house in this game to return to after completing a case, the way you do in Mafia. So many developers of open world games seem to overlook this detail. I need a home base.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I'm honestly a little surprised by the lukewarm response. It has far exceeded my expectations thus far. I'm almost done with homicide and the game just keeps getting better.

The comparisons to Mafia 2 are interesting, but I think they're too different to compare directly. I did love Mafia 2 though.

Atruvius

shwimpy said:
Honestly, it didn't even matter to me. If you're an OCD gamer like me, you like to check every inch of a crime scene anyway regardless of whether the piece of evidence is relevant or irrelevant. I can't imagine how many
bottles
I picked up in the beginning of the game, all of which were irrelevant. I turned off both from the start and I still usually end up with 4 or 5 stars on each case.
Thanks for the reply. I'll turn the hints off.

Zoso said:
I'm honestly a little surprised by the lukewarm response. It has far exceeded my expectations thus far. I'm almost done with homicide and the game just keeps getting better.

The comparisons to Mafia 2 are interesting, but I think they're too different to compare directly. I did love Mafia 2 though.

Im only about two hours in or so and its giving me the mafia 2 vibe. I hope it picks up i finished mafia 2 and it left me feeling cold tbh and im getting that from the two hours of this so far. I love the look and the faces are crazy good but everything else has that open world jank feel about it.

I am absolutely stumped with the trainyard murder case. I am utterly failing the interviews with the two suspects
the writer and the bowling alley guy
. Either I don't have enough evidence (I checked thoroughly) or I'm simply not reading their tells right. Fucking frustrating.

I have to agree with some of the reptition comments made so far. There really doesn't seem to be much variety. I'm getting sick of the coroner showing up at the end of every street crime.

disappeared said:
I am absolutely stumped with the trainyard murder case. I am utterly failing the interviews with the two suspects
the writer and the bowling alley guy
. Either I don't have enough evidence (I checked thoroughly) or I'm simply not reading their tells right. Fucking frustrating.

Solution:
When interviewing the writer about his criminal record, call Lie with his criminal record showing assault and dishonorable discharge as evidence.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Welp, when I went into work today, we had 12 copies traded in between PS3 and 360. By the end of the night, I was at 20. Man, this year has been terrible for "keepers."

Zoso said:

The universal consensus seems to be (myself included) the game steadily goes down in quality after homicide.

Papercuts

TheFuryMGS3 said:
The universal consensus seems to be (myself included) the game steadily goes down in quality after homicide.

Well shit. I'm in the middle of homicide now and still not feeling it, so this should be eventful!

TheFuryMGS3 said:

I'd say that's pretty much true save for the case with the boxer. I actually liked that one, it was nice and self-contained. But yeah, pretty much the best has passed by that point.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I look forward to discussing how far into the game reviewers played before giving their scores in another week or two. Given my experiences with the game, my opinion just really droped the more I played it. =/

canadian crowe said:
I was thinking 1970's California with the Zodiac Killer.

I would love more open interrogations in the next one too. I want to slam heads into desks and kick chairs out from under perps.

Awesome, I was thinking the exact same thing myself, with the location. Would be a fantastic setting... probably San Francisco, right? Car chases with muscle cars in the streets of San Francisco would be awesome. I suppose they could keep LA, but move it forward in time, setting it up with freeways and the increased gang violence and stuff like CRASH/Rampart. LA Neo-Noire?

I hope they make the interrogation system deeper and more intuitive. Maybe take a more ME approach? Because the options given half the time don't line up with what I'm thinking and want to prove.

Also, making the city more organic would be appreciated. RDR and GTA4 did this to good effect, but it's missing in LA Noire. If there is another game in the 'Noire' series, this definitely needs to be put in. Street calls are one thing, but they're kinda hit-and-miss and very... inorganic, haha.

Voice acting is really fantastic in this game though. Also, I like the sorta-banter between Cole and his partners (still in Homicide though). Sucks that people are saying the game declines after Homicide. I'll hopefully enjoy it.

Kintaro said:
I look forward to discussing how far into the game reviewers played before giving their scores in another week or two. Given my experiences with the game, my opinion just really droped the more I played it. =/

Same

samdavis

Neo Member
Are the interrogation questions carry more weight than normal "at the scene" questions? I ask because in both the 'The Golden Butterfly' and 'The Silk Stocking Murder,' I received two stars. Even though I caused minimal to no damage, found the majority of the clues, and missed a few questions.

I can't go back to see the breakdown on 'The Golden Butterfly' but on 'The Silk Stocking Murder,' which I've just finished, I got 9/13 questions. 2-3 of those incorrect questions came in
the interrogation with the estranged husband
and frankly I don't agree with at least two of the reasons for my responses being incorrect.

Either way, in both cases, I get the correct guy and that old **** of a Captain is shouting me down again like I ran over some little kids, accidentally shot a granny, and blew his wife's back out doggystyle...and then I get two stars.

It is insanely difficult to read people in this game and some of the things that Cole says when I make a choice just leave me scratching my head. As soon as he starts berating people I'm like "NO, that's NOT why I made that choice! It was supposed to be in response to that part of his comment!"

Really sort of frustrating.

Meanwhile my buddy, who I'm in a party chat with while playing, does the same case at the same time, finishes a bit after me, and gets 5 stars. He didn't miss any questions so I'm convinced that the interrogation questions (regardless of the outcome of the case) somehow REALLY negatively affect your final score.

Guess how I feel about that...

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit, just got to homicide. It's really difficult to point to any one aspect of the game as being great though. 40s cars don't make for a fun driving experience, questioning people basically boils down to watching an animation loop for blinking and looking away, and searching for clues can be frustrating because of the often high number of unrelated objects you can inspect. Plus the combat is pretty laughable, obviously.

Somehow, though, it works, or at least it is at the point I'm at. It's got the quality where you want to keep pushing to finish a case. Probably played 3-4 hours or so today and I'm looking forward to getting back to it. It's a very odd game in a lot of ways though.

Kintaro said:
Welp, when I went into work today, we had 12 copies traded in between PS3 and 360. By the end of the night, I was at 20. Man, this year has been terrible for "keepers."
And yet Rockstar still gets their cash.

It's a single player game, though, so it's not that surprising.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I just got spoiled as to a major Arson plot point.

I won't say anymore than that, but suffice it to say, I somehow keep getting spoiled on R* games. I think I may be cursed. Exact same thing happened with RDR's finale. DAMN YOU YOUTUBE!

Not a discussion of the ending specifics but mood:
Will Rockstar never let their main heroes have a win for once this generation?

CoffeeJanitor said:
And yet Rockstar still gets their cash.

It's a single player game, though, so it's not that surprising.

It's a single player game with next to no replay value. I would be interested in DLC cases in the future though.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Not a discussion of the ending specifics but mood:
Will Rockstar never let their main heroes have a win for once this generation?

It was real well done in RDR though. In LA Noire it had zero impact on me.

Meier

I am kind of iffy on the questioning system so far. Beyond that, just cause I doubt she's being truthful doesn't mean I think she set him up to die or something..damn.

Papercuts

samdavis said:
Are the interrogation questions carry more weight than normal "at the scene" questions? I ask because in both the 'The Golden Butterfly' and 'The Silk Stocking Murder,' I received two stars. Even though I caused minimal to no damage, found the majority of the clues, and missed a few questions.

I can't go back to see the breakdown on 'The Golden Butterfly' but on 'The Silk Stocking Murder,' which I've just finished, I got 9/13 questions. 2-3 of those incorrect questions came in
the interrogation with the estranged husband
and frankly I don't agree with at least two of the reasons for my responses being incorrect.

Either way, in both cases, I get the correct guy and that old **** of a Captain is shouting me down again like I ran over some little kids, accidentally shot a granny, and blew his wife's back out doggystyle...and then I get two stars.

It is insanely difficult to read people in this game and some of the things that Cole says when I make a choice just leave me scratching my head. As soon as he starts berating people I'm like "NO, that's NOT why I made that choice! It was supposed to be in response to that part of his comment!"

Really sort of frustrating.

Meanwhile my buddy, who I'm in a party chat with while playing, does the same case at the same time, finishes a bit after me, and gets 5 stars. He didn't miss any questions so I'm convinced that the interrogation questions (regardless of the outcome of the case) somehow REALLY negatively affect your final score.

Guess how I feel about that...

I got 2 stars on the golden butterfly case too, then I replayed it after and got 5 stars picking the other person, so yeah that is basically the deciding factor. That was also an amazingly stupid case overall.

Played about half of the cases and I love where Bondi and Rockstar take this game. It may not be great but I sure hope it spurs many more games like it. I rented this game but I will buy it because I want to see a 2nd LA Noire... voting with the wallet yada yada

samdavis

Neo Member
butter_stick said:
I'm enjoying the game quite a bit, just got to homicide. It's really difficult to point to any one aspect of the game as being great though. 40s cars don't make for a fun driving experience, questioning people basically boils down to watching an animation loop for blinking and looking away, and searching for clues can be frustrating because of the often high number of unrelated objects you can inspect. Plus the combat is pretty laughable, obviously.

Somehow, though, it works, or at least it is at the point I'm at. It's got the quality where you want to keep pushing to finish a case. Probably played 3-4 hours or so today and I'm looking forward to getting back to it. It's a very odd game in a lot of ways though.

Pretty much how I feel. Though the interrogations and general questioning are REALLY starting to get on my nerves. I also don't like the fact that dispatch calls keep coming through my radio when I'm on a case. Sure that might happen in real life, but I'd rather the game didn't give me the option to take the call if I'm on a case. But of course, the only time I'll be able to take the case is when I finish all the cases on a particular desk, have been promoted to the next one, but have to go back to the previous desk JUST to do free roam and take those side cases. There's no real reason to ever free roam.

It's a good game. But not as mindblowing (save for the facial tech) as people would have you believe.

I can only imagine what people might be able to do with this in the future if they perhaps just try to tell a straightforward, more linear narrative in the vein of Mass Effect/GTA/RDR/etc., using this facial tech and open-world structure.

Papercuts said:
I got 2 stars on the golden butterfly case too, then I replayed it after and got 5 stars picking the other person, so yeah that is basically the deciding factor. That was also an amazingly stupid case overall.

SPOILERS DON'T READ UNLESS YOU HAVE FINISHED THE GAME

There's another case in arson that does the exact same thing, and like homocide both of the guys are innocent anyway.

I have a question about a certain interrogation early on/midway in the Fallen Idol case.
When you're interviewing Marlon Hopgood about the possible location of Mark Bishop, he says something along the lines of, "If he has any sense, he'll have left town/gone as far away from here as possible." Apparently, the correct answer to this statement is Truth. I suspected that he was withholding possible locations that Bishop could be hiding out in. Evidence for this was the film reel, meant for Bishop, with an address on it. Even without evidence, I suspected that since they seemed pretty close, he probably knew more than he let on. The weird thing is, after you take his statement as the truth, he ends up revealing the address on the film reel anyways. Is there a jump in logic that I am not seeing?

Got this delivered today and managed to settle down for a few hours of quality time tonight, but I gotta say, I'm not finding the fun yet. Movement is janky, driving is janky, and combat is ... well, janky. And every time I think I understand the mechanics behind interrogations the game reminds me otherwise. Sometimes you choose a line of questioning assuming it will play out one way, only to see your character go wildly in a different direction.

So far I haven't felt any actual reward for being patient or attentive or in character, but only for selecting the right multiple choice answer on a test where all the questions are hazy.

Please tell me the game just starts slowly.

bill0527

I'm not very far into the game, I just finished traffic. I'm wondering though if Harlan Fontaine the drug doctor, is somehow related to Frank Fontaine of Bioshock fame. Both games are set in the same era. Would be cool if R* sent out a nod to that great game with a little naming easter egg.

NullPointer said:
Got this delivered today and managed to settle down for a few hours of quality time tonight, but I gotta say, I'm not finding the fun yet. Movement is janky, driving is janky, and combat is ... well, janky. And every time I think I understand the mechanics behind interrogations the game reminds me otherwise. Sometimes you choose a line of questioning assuming it will play out one way, only to see your character go wildly in a different direction.

So far I haven't felt any actual reward for being patient or attentive or in character, but only for selecting the right multiple choice answer on a test where all the questions are hazy.

Please tell me the game just starts slowly.

This game isnt about movement, driving, or combat. That fact doesnt excuse the jank inherently involved in it all but the main focus is on detecting. The biggest problem with the detecting is that it doesnt do the best job of it. Reading faces usually works out but the clue portion of the game is awfully implimented and as I feared it holds your hand the entire time and after all of the hand holding if you still dont get it you will always get the desired outcome in the end.

Long story short, if you dont feel the first few hours of it you may be in for a disappointment. That being said, I found later in the game that I started to enjoy it much more than at the beginning.

Top Bottom