• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Plasmid

Alright, i finished, about 18 hours total.

Overall, the game was great, the adaptivity of music, lighting, story and characters really got me into the whole game, i loved it, involved completely.

Driving missions and tailing missions piss me off though, not enjoyable. Shooting style was a main end game thing somewhat, it was heavy in shooting.

I loved all the different cases, vice, homicide, arson, even traffic! I loved the characters.

Cole: He's a war hero, and you don't understand why he's so angry with everyone until the very end when you find out
a man in his company shot him in the back on purpose when cole accidentally called upon the burning of a cave full of japanese civilians.

Rusty: Smartass, hates husbands and boyfriends, easy to accuse, pretty good guy.

Earle: Smartass, but his latter part of the game story is a
letdown, and annoying.

Bakowski: Derp smile and all, he's a good character, no huge thing on him to comment.

Herschel: Great guy to tag with in
arson
, he's funny and in the end, he's a very emotional character.

The rest is all end game spoilers.

Okay, so cole was shot by a fellow marine out of anger, and they all agreed to never talk about it, but Ira being the guy burning the houses down? That's pretty, strange, and fontaine and his whole backstory throughout the papers is pretty cool.

I did NOT enjoy Earle's backstabbing and then his speech at his funeral? Fuck that, cole deserved better.

The game's ending was annoying too with Jack being the last 4 missions or so, i mean, really? I want to finish this with phelps, but it's whatever.

8/10 for me, driving mechanics and a wonky cover system, along with the repetition in missions, and the end story line arch isn't something to make this for me, i'm happy i spent 60$ on it, but again, nothing groundbreaking.

The game was great, now i'm going to go back and 5 ★ cases, get the newspapers, film reels, etc, i 100%'d RDR, i can hopefully 100% this.

For peoplel who have beat it, how do you access old cases, along with free-roam if possible, am i going to have to go to a case and free roam from there?

AntiTout

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Finished it. Decent game, but could have been great. Won't spoil anything, but the overarching story really hurts the game for me. 6/10
Don't want to bother you, but can you give us examples of what's a decent or great game for you?
To me GTAIV was boring and RDR was almost saved by the atmosphere and music but it was also a boring game. What about noire? Thanks.

slider

This page has thrown me into turmoil (100 posts per page!).

The game shipped today and I'm quietly excited for it. Well, as excited as I get. I was hoping/expecting universal drooling. Naive of course but it's nice to be expectant.

I'll have to wait for it's arrival to make up my own mind.

laika09

Plasmid said:
For peoplel who have beat it, how do you access old cases, along with free-roam if possible, am i going to have to go to a case and free roam from there?

Cases are at the main menu, you can pick which one to do. Gives a summary with ratings and newspaper locations. Street crimes you can access from "free roam" cases at each desk.

Plasmid

AntiTout said:
Don't want to bother you, but can you give us examples of what's a decent or great game for you?
To me GTAIV was boring and RDR was almost saved by the atmosphere and music but it was also a boring game. What about noire? Thanks.

GTA IV is a game i LOVED, no matter what, i replayed the Niko story about 4 times and enjoyed it everytime, free-roam, the weapons, the actors and the story all made it for me, I'll admit, GTA didn't have the atmosphere of Noire, or RDR, but the story, gameplay (besides the main controls which were wonky as shit), and ability to really just do whatever you want and pick up the story anytime made it for me.

RDR is a great game also, i loved it, but i think getting 100% on it really killed the love for me. Gameplay and dead-eye, along with the ability to roam the old west and the "karma" rating were something i enjoyed. The game itself is beautiful and the atmosphere is amazing in it, mexico was a great place to go mainly for the people and places you see, i liked RDR's story too, it was kind of overplayed (bandit wants his family safe, has to do x amount of tasks before it happens), but i enjoyed it all.

I dunno, i have never been disappointed in a game to my recollection, yeah i've traded games in after, but never have i thought i wasted my money because i didn't enjoy it.

Maybe i'm easily persuadable.

brentech

Plasmid said:
Haven't finished myself. But after the flickering LA Noire screen, where you see RESUME on the wall...you can hit the d-pad up and down (at least on ps3) and choose other options like specific cases.

Plasmid

brentech said:
Haven't finished myself. But after the flickering LA Noire screen, where you see RESUME on the wall...you can hit the d-pad up and down (at least on ps3) and choose other options like specific cases.

laika09 said:
Cases are at the main menu, you can pick which one to do. Gives a summary with ratings and newspaper locations. Street crimes you can access from "free roam" cases at each desk.

brentech said:

Thanks to both of you! I'm at 67.50% through, 32.50 is a lot of shit, especially with the film reels.

AntiTout said:

I like all types. GTA4 was decent, and I loved RDR. I love old school adventure games, and this certainly has that feel. LA Noire for me was awesome in concept and great in some execution. I can't really go into my problems with the game without spoiling stuff.

Major Homicide Desk Spoiler

It was pretty obvious that the same guy was doing the crimes and while I had fun investigating the crime scenes and following the trail, it was really frustrating that I had to keep arresting guys that I knew were not responsible.

Major Arson Desk Spoiler

This is doubly true in the arson desk. Investigating the first crime scene you can easily figure out what's going on, and yet you keep pursuing people, that while assholes, they are obviously not the culprit.

The open world aspect of the game is weak, but I knew that going in, so no big deal. The gunfight controls are horrendous, but that didn't really bother me that much.

More spoilers

The game was at its best during the traffic and vice desks where you're actually chasing the right people. I really liked the vice case with the boxer.

It's not a bad game, it's above average. 6/10. It does some things great, but is weighed down by flaws required by its story.

Got the game today. so incredibly realistic. I said before that I wasn't all that impressed with the facial animation, but now that I see more of it, it's amazing. The level of detail in the city is also off the charts.

on your first mission in Traffic there is a pair of eyeglasses near the car. Pick them up & look through the lenses and the focus on the ground changes. It's a cool little effect they put in to add to the realism of the world.

ok, back to the game.

So has using the Playstation Store option on caused anyone else game to go to the screen start to check your hard drive and then do a hard freeze (complete with the looping music)? It did it to me both times I selected Playstation Store.

Plasmid

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
So has using the Playstation Store option on caused anyone else game to go to the screen start to check your hard drive and then do a hard freeze (complete with the looping music)? It did it to me both times I selected Playstation Store.

I think a few other people reported this too.

iNvid02

im enjoying it so far despite the terri-bad performance, i knew coming in it was different so the simple shooting and driving doesn't bother me, i kinda like the simplicity actually. graphics dont look like anything special (mind you i did play witcher 2 beforehand though).

hope they release it for pc with better performance and visuals, could be a brilliant game

edit: yeah i checked the store when i first started and it froze

Luigi87

It's been reported as happening, with the official statement being that there was no failsafe implemented in respect to the unexpected downtime of the PSStore.

Which if course is kind of lame, in that the PSStore could technically be down in the future for regular maintenance (rather than the present emergency maintenance) like in the past, and this crashing would still occur.

Plasmid said:
I think a few other people reported this too.

Luigi87 said:
It's been reported as happening, with the official statement being that there was no failsafe implemented in respect to the unexpected downtime of the PSStore.

Which if course is kind of lame, in that the PSStore could technically be down in the future for regular maintenance (rather than the present emergency maintenance) like in the past, and this crashing would still occur.

Ah I see. I thought the PSN Store in game might have been working, so I decided to give it a try. I haven't been following the thread too closely as I hadn't originally thought I was getting the game. It's good to know what is causing it and it's not my system crapping out or such. Thanks!

newsguy

Quick case question. Without spoilers, can anyone tell me why
In the case of the golden butterfly I accused the fat guy from heroes and got my ass chewed out by the boss and 1 star? I found all clues and 10/15 questions right. Was I supposed to accuse the pedo?

newsguy said:
Quick case question. Without spoilers, can anyone tell me why
In the case of the golden butterfly I accused the fat guy from heroes and got my ass chewed out by the boss and 1 star? I found all clues and 10/15 questions right. Was I supposed to accuse the pedo?

Nope, I could with spoilers though. It wouldn't be what you'd expect. Just keep playing, all will become clearer.

Plasmid said:
Thanks to both of you! I'm at 67.50% through, 32.50 is a lot of shit, especially with the film reels.

Your not actually gonna attempt to find all 50 without a guide are you? The city is massive and there hidden well. Im just gonna use a guide, I spent 4 hours exploring the city and found one in a random area theres no way in hell id have the patience to find all 50

Same here

Makoto

Yup.

This happened to me as well.

I was also thinking that I wish that we were the first on the scene to investigate. What is the point of looking for evidence if it is all marked and ready to go on the scene itself? We should be scouring each crime scene for clues. The best for me is when you go to talk to someone, at a house say, and look for further clues there. I hope they give us a lot more desks, the bunko/burglary to start.

Plasmid

Outtrigger888 said:
Your not actually gonna attempt to find all 50 without a guide are you? The city is massive and there hidden well. Im just gonna use a guide, I spent 4 hours exploring the city and found one in a random area theres no way in hell id have the patience to find all 50

I have a guide lol.

I just ran into a guy and the guy said "sorry" i pressed x for no reason and he died :lol :lol.

just made vice. probably go through that desk tomorrow since it seems it's only 3 cases.

didn't really like
"the quarter moon murders"
homicide case or the outcome aside from the
church
your in at the end.

Major Homicide Desk Spoiler

It was pretty obvious that the same guy was doing the crimes and while I had fun investigating the crime scenes and following the trail, it was really frustrating that I had to keep arresting guys that I knew were not responsible.

i felt exactly the same way. for every bit a played this was always in my mind.

I love the game but oh man talk about the violations of due process at times so far lol.

EDIT: Damn I never though I would hear the word
kike
in a video game or that much
Yiddish

I love the game but oh man talk about the violations of due process at times so far lol.

I like it how whenever someone asks to see a warrant your partner tells them to shutup and the issue is totally dropped. Illegal investigations don't exist in this world

I like it how whenever someone asks to see a warrant your partner tells them to shutup and the issue is totally dropped. Illegal investigations don't exist in this world
I haven't even seen that. In the third case
Kolau asking for his lawyer and Phelps ignoring it would be a shit storm of problems and possibly getting the confession suppressed

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
iNvidious01 said:
im enjoying it so far despite the terri-bad performance
Where does the bad performance manifest exactly? Lens of truth comparison showed that both versions of the game have very close to 30FPS average in several portions of the game they analyzed.

Meier said:
Good lord the install on the 360 for this is PS3-esque. Slowest install I've ever encountered...
It installs in ~3-4 minutes on PS3. But you're installing whole discs so it's not the same.

Trevelyon

Anyway to disarm and arrest or knockout perps in street crime missions, does it get you anymore experience? Feels like I'm just capping and bagging these crims en mass, doesn't feel very rewarding at all.

Trevelyon said:
Anyway to disarm and arrest or knockout perps in street crime missions, does it get you anymore experience? Feels like I'm just capping and bagging these crims en mass, doesn't feel very rewarding at all.

Nope. You can shoot them in the leg or arm if you want, but the result is the same as shooting them in the head.

edit: well, maybe the after crime call to dispatch is different.

TheExodu5

Banned
I kind of just want to get this over with and go back to Red Dead Redemption...I never really gave that game much of a chance. I think I might like it more if I did.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just finished the Golden Butterfly...still not really sure how I feel about it.
I thought the pedophile guy was too obvious, everyone wanted me to nail him. I interrogated him and the husband properly and neither of them seemed like the killer to me. I ended up getting the husband and got 2 stars overall and everyone was pissed off at me. I redid the case afterwards the same way, nailed the pedophile instead and got 5 stars, but there's not even really anything linking him to being the killer. It does look like him in the intro, but how did he get the tire iron that's linked to the husband's car? Stuff like that

I really wish these went a lot more indepth like phoenix wright games do, instead it's all about getting a person arrested and the case just ends.

Papercuts said:
I really wish these went a lot more indepth like phoenix wright games do, instead it's all about getting a person arrested and the case just ends.

THIS! Since I'm right smack bang in the middle of playing the Phoenix Wright games it's even more apparent. The cases so far have been too basic.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Tricky I Shadow said:
THIS! Since I'm right smack bang in the middle of playing the Phoenix Wright games it's even more apparent. The cases so far have been too basic.

I saw people compare them a lot, but this is really nothing like PW. I actually wish it was, since taking down people in that game feels extremely satisfying. In here it usually just happens, they try and run and you tackle them, or you don't even have evidence to put them away and you do just 'cuz. :\

tiff

Banned
Part way through the homicide desk. Enjoying the investigation and interrogation parts of the main story so far. Playing with all the investigation assists off, so it's kinda cool combing over every inch of an area looking for clues. Getting used to when to doubt and when to call a lie, though sometimes I get that same feeling I get in Phoenix Wright where I know what to do but I don't know how the game wants me to do it. As for the action parts, the driving is serviceable and the chase segments are pretty brainless. The shooting and cover systems are pretty shitty though; thankfully you don't have to deal a whole lot with them.

Biggest complaint with the game is the side missions. Feels like you're bombarded with them at points, and they're all goofy action segments that almost destroy the whole mood of the game. I've just been ignoring them lately. Seriously awful.

Papercuts said:
I saw people compare them a lot, but this is really nothing like PW. I actually wish it was, since taking down people in that game feels extremely satisfying. In here it usually just happens, they try and run and you tackle them, or you don't even have evidence to put them away and you do just 'cuz. :\
My brother actually brought this up too while I was playing. Phoenix Wright seems to be about a small selection of very intricate cases, while this game is much broader. I think Phoenix Wright's approach makes for the better game, but I appreciate L.A. Noire's direction as well. So far, anyway.

Foob

i love the little details in the game

Like when you call the operator for directions or information, and you can hear pages flipping in the background

laika09

Is there any way to get Social Club to update your progress? Trying to track down some vehicles and the website is missing about half the ones I have.

Top Bottom