• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

neorej said:
I'm enjoying the hell out of this game, but one thing bugs me a little: I fucked up 2 interviews (less than 40% of the questions correctly handled) and I don't have the feeling the game is punishing me for it. Is this feeling correct or am I missing out on something?

You could potentially be missing certain parts of missions. You'll see after certain missions that it'll say if you correctly interview certain people that different things would've happened.

darkwing said:
because this is an adventure game, not a real open world game like Red Dead, GTA

Lol. Good one, guy. 'Cause, you know, only open-world games abide to the laws of controls that make sense and aren't fucking stupid. I'm sorry, but having only the options of turtle-paced movement or spaz-out sprinting with no middle-ground is ridiculous.

Mifune

Mehmber
Huh, so everyone has turned on this game now? That's disappointing. I won't be able to play it until next week but this late hate is depressing.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
darkwing said:
because this is an adventure game, not a real open world game like Red Dead, GTA

So because this is an adventure game, it's okay for the shooting to control like crap?

I knew this game would piss the small-minded people off who just saw Rockstar's name on the game and automatically assumed that it would just be GTA in the 1940s.

One of my friends immediately turned on the game when he found out he actually had to play as a cop and killing civilians was punishable.

If you seriously just want to go run down a sidewalk full of people and play a game that doesn't really require much of your brain, GTA4 is right there for you to pop in and play.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Throavium said:
You're missing out on higher rank and unlockables.

I tend to keep restarting the interrogation until I get it right.

I did that for the first one, but then I found out the cutscenes are unskippable.

Angst

I got the game yesterday and really like it so far. First interrogation I got all gamer OCD and wanted to get everything right. But now I just do the interrogations once and don't care if I get questions wrong (as in I don't restart the case because of it). Playing it this way is much more satisfactory to me and I really need to think to be able to connect the dots.

Veitsev

I am not finished with the game yet, just got promoted to
vice
but this game is starting to get really disappointing. The interrogation system leaves me frustrated. Often I feel like I want to say something I can't or Cole says something I didn't want to say.

The side missions are just awful and repetitive and not even worth playing. So so many just end up with you killing someone. The driving, combat, shooting, is just as poor as GTA without any of the fun or freedom that comes with being a criminal. It doesn't help that your character is a complete goody two shoes and there isn't any kind of morality options present. I feel like I am watching Cole make decisions and not making any decisions myself. They should also really let you do something as a cop outside of set missions/side missions. The RDR random/scripted side mission system where people would call for help would have been nice in this game. I should be able to respond to crimes that happen in front of me as I am playing. Maybe let me pull some over for a traffic offense if I want. I wouldn't necessarily respond to something I see (in real time) and I am sure it would get old after awhile but it would at least add some depth to the city. Would have been nice to have something like that in addition to the current side missions. The world as it is just feels dead. There is no reason to really visit anywhere outside of mission objectives. There are no stores. There are no mini games. I mean how hard would it be to have somewhere to go play cards or something. Yes most of this stuff is just little shit but its lots of little things that help a world feel alive.

This game just feels like another game that tries to shoehorn a open world into a game that probably shouldn't have it. If you create a large world for the player to traverse than you need to use that world. You can't just half ass it. Whether you like it or not you created a sandbox. Either put toys in that box or don't bother building it. As it is the world just gets old after the sheen wears off and becomes an obstacle that makes it tedious for you to get from point a to b. As it is L.A. Noire is a linear game with repetitive game play in a lifeless (but beautiful) landscape. The voice acting and presentation is great but it seems like the game would be better served as a fully linear adventure game and playing to its strengths.

Riposte

WATERSHED MOMENT FOR GAMING!

Haven't jumped into this yet, but I suspect that any game which sells itself on style is going to be disappointment, at least to me. It is unfortunate that the RPG branching storyline seems out the window. That is what I was most excited about.

Sethos

Banned
Wasn't the little chimes when interrogating supposed to tell you when you got it right / wrong? I get the exact same chimes no matter if I pull a 4/4 questions right or 0/4. It's annoying I have no way of telling when a question is right, even when the response sounds right and the information they give me is useful they count it as a wrong questions.

Oh, had this great case yesterday.
The first case with that naked lady, that had her ring removed and stuff written on her. Coroner says she was killed by blunt force trauma, possibly a baseball bat. You go interview the husband, find a baseball bat on the floor and Phelps says "It's nothing". Erhm >.>

Sethos said:
Wasn't the little chimes when interrogating supposed to tell you when you got it right / wrong? I get the exact same chimes no matter if I pull a 4/4 questions right or 0/4. It's annoying I have no way of telling when a question is right, even when the response sounds right and the information they give me is useful they count it as a wrong questions.

The first case with that naked lady, that had her ring removed and stuff written on her. Coroner says she was killed by blunt force trauma, possibly a baseball bat. You go interview the husband, find a baseball bat on the floor and Phelps says "It's nothing". Erhm >.>

The chimes are definitely different if you get the questions right or wrong.

Lakitu

st5fu
Mifune said:
Huh, so everyone has turned on this game now? That's disappointing. I won't be able to play it until next week but this late hate is depressing.

I received my copy just now, but I honestly couldn't care if people are hating on it. Go in with no preconceptions and judge it for yourself. Don't let the small minority that hate it (and even the people who love it) judge it for you.

Papercuts

Sethos said:

The chime for being wrong sounds really ominous at the end, it seems like some people can't tell the difference but I have no idea how. It also puts an x by the crossed out line instead of a check.

Riposte said:
WATERSHED MOMENT FOR GAMING!

Haven't jumped into this yet, but I suspect that any game which sells itself on style is going to be disappointment, at least to me. It is unfortunate that the RPG branching storyline seems out the window. That is what I was most excited about.
Plus one

Never succumb to the production values hype machine!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest, all this linear adventure talk with option "world" is getting me all excited.

Papercuts

darkwing said:
i think most of.hate comes from.the expectation of an open world game when its an adventure game

I really hope that doesn't become the generalization thrown around. I've been doing nothing but dogging on the interrogations, which are the crutch of the entire case coming together. The entire detective part is disappointing me, the pointless overworld, repetitive and shooting filled side missions just compound on top of that for me.

I love the phoenix wright games, and a lot of point and click adventure games in general. A good detective game based off a 3D world that let's you really go around and solve cases is pretty much my dream game. I'm glad LA Noire took a leap and attempted it, but there's just a ton of issues with it.

Sethos

Banned
Papercuts said:
The chime for being wrong sounds really ominous at the end, it seems like some people can't tell the difference but I have no idea how. It also puts an x by the crossed out line instead of a check.

What? I press X, Square or Triangle, the chime that I can't distinguish plays, person confesses or gets upset, he looks into his little notebook and strikes through that question ... Haven't seen him checking anything and I honestly haven't heard the different chimes ... Sometimes they just don't play either?

Sethos said:
What? I press X, Square or Triangle, the chime that I can't distinguish plays, person confesses or gets upset, he looks into his little notebook and strikes through that question ... Haven't seen him checking anything and I honestly haven't heard the different chimes ... Sometimes they just don't play either?

Next to the question you just asked should be a check mark or an x depending on wether or not you got it right or wrong.

Papercuts

Sethos said:

I mean beside the strike through, there should be a checkmark or an x.

Sethos said:

Something's definitely broken, either you or your game. The chimes are CLEARLY different depending on if you went the right way or not, and there's clearly an "x" for a botched question, and a check for one you did correctly.

Sethos

Banned
Papercuts said:
I mean beside the strike through, there should be a checkmark or an x.

LyleLanley said:
Next to the question you just asked should be a check mark or an x depending on wether or not you got it right or wrong.

Playing it for over 5 hours now and I haven't even seen that o_O

Guess I'll look out for that next time I'm playing.

Normally I'm a pretty aware gamer, great at looking for subtle hints and clues but fuck me, I swear to high heavens there isn't a shred of difference in my little audio chimes and I haven't seen any checkmarks / crosses in the log either.

daviyoung

Banned
Looking at a few videos it really makes me think of GTA Heavy Rain; looks like former, plays like latter.

I really want to pick this game up but not sure whether to rent or buy. Is there any incentive to buy it if it's just a linear experience with no real replay value?

I love proper adventure games and would gladly support anyone making one by giving them my cash. But is this a real adventure in snappy graphics? Or does does it try to do everything and gets everything wrong?

daviyoung said:
Looking at a few videos it really makes me think of GTA Heavy Rain; looks like former, plays like latter.

I really want to pick this game up but not sure whether to rent or buy. Is there any incentive to buy it if it's just a linear experience with no real replay value?

I love proper adventure games and would gladly support anyone making one by giving them my cash. But is this a real adventure in snappy graphics? Or does does it try to do everything and gets everything wrong?

It definitely has replay value, you can finish cases different ways. But you'll have to decide if it's enough to warrant a purchase.

mclem

So, I'm thinking of wandering down to the shops tomorrow and picking this up. If I do, though, is there any clear distinction between versions? I'm aware of the PS3 single-discness (but is that countered by 360 installation?), but I'm also aware that games can somewhat differ in performance between platforms. Are there any clear alarm bells I ought to be aware of before deciding?

Dries

Holy shit, this city is amazing. So much detail going on. So fucking immersed. Who else loves the city? We need more love!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The biggest flaw with the game is the dialog system. I feel like they should have just stolen the dialog wheel with more specific dialog options, because sometimes it's not clear how you were supposed to say the right thing. The doubt option can be frustrating sometimes.

daviyoung

Banned
Dries, as LA Noire's most vocal fan maybe you can explain a few things to me:

• if you fuck up a case, do characters hold grudges/won't speak to you again until you set it right/start a new game?

• how deep is the adventure? is it possible to speak to anyone or is everything done on a case-by-case basis around specific areas?

• how good is the dialogue in terms of writing and delivery? do you miss clues because the dialogue is bloated and it's easy to switch off as a character talks?

• discounting open world, driving and shooting mechanics, what other games can you compare LA Noire to? what genre does it fit into?

THRILLH0

Banned
Holy shit, this has to be the quickest time-to-backlash in gaf history!

Im just into disc 2 on 360 and still loving it. I can't see going back to it after I finish but i'll be happy to have this game in my shelf.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chinner said:
this game isnt anywhere near being 25-30 hours long is it?
If you skip all the open world junk, no way.

Maybe if you turn off all the hints and are really concerned about getting 5 stars on each case.

Dries

What do those checks and x's mean in your notebook behind each question when you're questioning someone?

Edit: never mind!

Only grip I have with the game is that, Cole pre-detective, felt too short. Wish there was more missions as a simple policeman and offered patrols missions.

Other than that... This game feels refreshing in the sea of brainless FPS, poor RPG and elitist MMORPG.

Team Bondi and Rockstar delivered what they had promised in their interviews, previews. Thanks you guys. Seriously.

Dabanton

mclem said:
So, I'm thinking of wandering down to the shops tomorrow and picking this up. If I do, though, is there any clear distinction between versions? I'm aware of the PS3 single-discness (but is that countered by 360 installation?), but I'm also aware that games can somewhat differ in performance between platforms. Are there any clear alarm bells I ought to be aware of before deciding?

Apparently their is some slowdown in both versions but worse on the 360 apparently.

Also popin if that bothers you though it seems to depend wether you have it installed or not
I picked up the PS3 version in the end because of the slight edge it has.

Digital Foundry should hopefully be putting up their head 2 head tomorrow so you may have time to look that over before making your final choice.

Dries said:
Holy shit, this city is amazing. So much detail going on. So fucking immersed. Who else loves the city? We need more love!

I've been collecting hidden cars and film canisters for the last couple of days and I got to say, it's pretty relaxing just listening to the radio while reading the different signs and billboards on the buildings. Makes me want to go back in time to that era.

Dries

daviyoung said:
Dries, as LA Noire's most vocal fan maybe you can explain a few things to me:

Haha, don't know if true. There are a lot of other people also enjoying the game in this thread. With a game like this you could've forseen that opinions would be varied. I think I'm just that kinda gamer who appreciates what the devs have accomplished instead of nitpicking the things I don't like. I just focus more on the pro's of the game rather than be let down by all the things the game doesn't offer. I don't know.

• if you fuck up a case, do characters hold grudges/won't speak to you again until you set it right/start a new game?
Yeah I think so, but I haven't fucked up a case yet, so I don't know.

• how deep is the adventure? is it possible to speak to anyone or is everything done on a case-by-case basis around specific areas?
What do you mean, speak to anyone? Anyone on the street? No, that's not possible. But you can speak to every person of interest in that particular case. I'm not really sure if I understand your question though.

• how good is the dialogue in terms of writing and delivery? do you miss clues because the dialogue is bloated and it's easy to switch off as a character talks?
Dialouge, writing, and delivery is up to the highest standards. Of course you can miss clues, but that's not the games fault.

• discounting open world, driving and shooting mechanics, what other games can you compare LA Noire to? what genre does it fit into?
Erm, Heavy Rain, Phoenix Wright, and Shenmue are pretty close. Genre? Adventure I guess. And sometimes you have to shoot, that's all.

Yeah, just got my first 5 star rating!

rhino4evr

What's funny About GAF is that everytime (other then this thread) I see GTA4 mentioned, I see nothing but people saying how terrible it is. But there seems to be a lot of people in this thread that wishes this was GTA5.

All the complaints I'm reading seem nitpicky or I just don't agree with them.

Complaining about driving/shooting? This is such a small part of the game..and it's not even that bad. Definitely not "broken" and you can have your partner drive most places.

Interrogations are guess work? No they really aren't. If you listen and are observant all the clues you need to make the correct decision are there...you just have to come to the conclusion yourself..the game does not do it for you. It's more intuition based then evidence based.

Open world isnt really open. For all the folks that complained about going on man dates and playing stupid mini games in GTA4...I'm really surprised people want more of that pointless stuff. I player horseshoes once in RDR...that was enough for me.

The folks that are complaining you can't "go rogue" and commit crimes are pretty much the worst offenders of all to me. Do we have to make morality choices in every game now? To be honest that gameplay mechanic has never really been handled well in any game (except maybe Mass Effect) and it's really becoming a gaming cliche at this point.

daviyoung

Banned
Dries said:

Thank you!

I will check this one out once I get home. Apparently I can get 1000 points on my GAME card, and get it for half price if I trade in Shift 2. Hopefully these will work together.

Papercuts

rhino4evr said:
What's funny About GAF is that everytime (other then this thread) I see GTA4 mentioned, I see nothing but people saying how terrible it is. But there seems to be a lot of people in this thread that wishes this was GTA5.

All the complaints I'm reading seem nitpicky or I just don't agree with them.

Complaining about driving/shooting? This is such a small part of the game..and it's not even that bad. Definitely not "broken" and you can have your partner drive most places.

Interrogations are guess work? No they really aren't. If you listen and are observant all the clues you need to make the correct decision are there...you just have to come to the conclusion yourself..the game does not do it for you. It's more intuition based then evidence based.

Open world isnt really open. For all the folks that complained about going on man dates and playing stupid mini games in GTA4...I'm really surprised people want more of that pointless stuff. I player horseshoes once in RDR...that was enough for me.

The folks that are complaining you can't "go rogue" and commit crimes are pretty much the worst offenders of all to me. Do we have to make morality choices in every game now? To be honest that gameplay mechanic has never really been handled well in any game (except maybe Mass Effect) and it's really becoming a gaming cliche at this point.

I keep saying you can't make the correct decisions because of truth/doubt randomly changing. Sometimes they blatantly lie, I have no proof, so I say doubt. I'm wrong. I needed to say truth to press them for more. Other times, doubt presses them the info I need, truth loses the lead completely. I've been looking at the faces, listening to the voices. They can sound suspicious and be telling the truth, they can look sincere as hell and be lying, it's not much to go off of. Lie works as advertised since you need evidence with it, I haven't had issues with that yet.

And on top of that, when you are "wrong" in an interrogation, it more often than not makes Cole go into a tirade and say things you don't want him to say. THAT'S what's killing me, not even me getting the option wrong. His attitude flips on a whim when you aren't right, and it completely shatters immersion considering right after he crosses that statement off you just go back to talking again.

I never expected being able to go on rampages or anything, but taking a note from RDR and having random events happen, like random people getting mugged on the street or a car theft happening in front of you would be a much better way to integrate the world into the game. And let me shoot people in the leg or something, don't make me kill them. :\

It might seem nitpicky, but a game based off being a detective should be based much more closer to realistic gameplay than most games. There's just a lot of shit here that kills the immersion, and I keep getting pulled out by it. The interrogations are just a big part that I just can't overlook, if it just let you disable the stupid ass notifications it would allow players to talk with people and not know if they got all the info they needed, or were completetly lied to. That on top of the crazy mood swings is killin' it.

I also don't see anyone wishing this was GTA5? For the record I thought GTA4 was not good, for many reasons. I loved RDR though. This is nothing like either, and I never expected otherwise.

cackhyena

Despite the jank, I'm liking it more the deeper I go. There are frustrating moments with Cole ( aka dickhead supreme ) saying things you wouldn't really expect when you press Truth or Doubt, but I enjoy the interrogations and detective stuff. Nothing too complicated, it's just putting me in the role of a guy and making you feel like you are in a certain time period.

I personally dig the side quest stuff as well. I'm not normally one to chase down these things, but so far, while yes, you do kill most suspects, it's a fun diversion that feels fresh enough in how each one is handled leading up to those deaths.

There's plenty of room for improvement in the sequel, but this is a damn fine outing, and really a remarkable achievement for something in the works for seven fucking years. This is an adventure game with action elements, set in an open world. You can argue that the open world isn't necessary, and I might even be inclined to agree with you, but it's still not a bad thing to have as a bonus. The recreation, minus the obvious lack of population is a really well done.

AEREC

I am enjoying the game but I would be lying if I said I wasnt dissapointed and expected more from it. The game gives you a false sense that you can make choices that will have a different outcome on the case...I was really expecting a more dynamic game.

Right now it just fel sliek a cinematic puzzle game that you have very little control over...which is fine because it is still entertaining.

AEREC

Dabanton said:
Ok just did my first side misson can you actually subdue suspects aka not 'dirty harry' them

pretty sure you cant, unless you have to be insanely accurate and shoot the gun out of thier hands.

Top Bottom