• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Theorymon

Just a question, does anyone know if there is any kind of reward for getting 100% in this game (besides trophies / achievements)? I don't expect there to be, but I could use a justification to collect the film reels besides "OCD".

As for LA Noire itself, I have never felt so torn about a game after beating it. I'm too tired to say much else now besides the fact that like some other users in this thread, I'm not fond of the ending, but sometimes love how investigating plays out. I'll make a more fleshed out post later after I mess around in free roam for a while.

Theorymon said:
Just a question, does anyone know if there is any kind of reward for getting 100% in this game? I don't expect there to be, but I could use a justification to collect the film reels besides "OCD".
Depends on how much you care about achievements/trophies. Besides that, though, I haven't a clue.

The Lamp

Just finished the Murder Desk.

The game has really gotten better. The open world is starting to justify its existence a lot more, with more varied locations and mission structures. I look forward to the rest of the story cases.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Why did no one tell me there's a B&W filter in the options?

The game looks much better with it on.

The Lamp

Kintaro said:
Welp, when I went into work today, we had 12 copies traded in between PS3 and 360. By the end of the night, I was at 20. Man, this year has been terrible for "keepers."

It's what happens when people pay $60 for a single-player game they probably won't finish or like beyond what's there and then turn it in 2 days later having wasted almost half their money.

People who trade in games immediately after buying and beating them make me laugh.

mcawesome

Neo Member
So far I'm loving it. They really nailed it. Something kind of fun to do is if you're at a specific location in the game look up where you are at on Google Maps and see how much the area has changed. My friend started doing this while watching me play. It is pretty surreal.

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
It's a single player game with next to no replay value. I would be interested in DLC cases in the future though.
I also have faith that the game could make a good Assassin's Creed 1 to 2 transformation, a good solid foundation to build upon. Their is a lot that I like about the game, but also a lot that can be improved.

So to summarize impressions so far:

"I'm three hours in, and loving it! Awesome! Worth every penny!"

Next day:

"I just finished it. Meh. Very repetitive. Hated the ending. 6/10."

It seems like a line graph of the game's quality is a gentle downward slope.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
David H Wong said:

Next day:

Sounds about right. I think the atmosphere and the environment is definitely awesome. The setting is definitely compelling. The story on the other hand isn't....

dustin

Neo Member
LA Boire. (LOOL)
The detective part of the game was pretty fun, but 5-6 hours later it in no way, shape, or form was fun anymore. Dropping six dudes with dead eye never got old. Picking up and putting back down random objects and questioning people started out as fun but not the kind of fun you can base an entire game around. If the supporting gameplay (driving, shooting) was anywhere near the Rockstar standard (yes Iknow they just published it) the slow decline of the detective fun would have been less noticeable. Even after the first few cases its spectacle started to fade, and when that's gone, you're left with one really shitty game from everything to the tank like way Cole moves to the lifeless visuals and uninspired combat. The faces are outfuckingstanding though; so good that they make every other visual aspect of the stand out in a very negative way because nothing else matches the fidelity of the facial animations. Oh, and Cole's a complete douche. I barely lasted a few cases listening to him let alone an entire fucking game. Will be trading in today probably for an Infamous 2 pre order, really disappointed.

watershed

Banned
I'm having a hard time enjoying the game but I want to give it more time to impress me. The problems I have are:

1. The controls aren't very good. Specifically driving is not nearly as fun as driving in GTAIV or horseback riding in Red Dead Redemption. The chasing perps stuff is pretty good though. Overall there just seem to be some odd control stuff that makes the game a bit janky and stiff.

2. Open world seems to lack stuff to do.

3. The interrogating is the best part of the game because the acting is really good but in terms of gameplay I think Mass Effect and Hotel Dusk do the whole long talking scenes and detective work stuff better. This system feels like rock paper scissors more than investigating and intuition.

Still the world is impressive to look at and evocative of its time period and most of the characters are interesting enough. Also one question, is there a way to skip movie scenes?

Fjordson

David H Wong said:

Next day:

I enjoyed it more and more the further I got. Probably my favorite game I've played this year. Sounds like I'm in the minority, though.

dustin

Neo Member
artwalknoon said:
I'm having a hard time enjoying the game but I want to give it more time to impress me.
I said that too, but after my like 8th hour into the game I had to call it quits. And I'm with you on the open world part, there's absolutely no reason that this game should be open world.

Bliddo

I'm having really bad frame rate issues on my 360 (250gig slim, game installed), especially during the daytime, the game stutters a lot.
Anyone else?

I'm sure this has been mentioned but just in case :

MCV said:
GAME will sell the game half price when customers trade in any one of the following – Crysis 2, Fight Night Champion, Shift 2 Unleashed or Test Drive Unlimited 2.

Papercuts said:
Everyone in L.A. Noire has a size 8 shoe, god damn.

In breeding confirmed!

How does the side missions work, is there a set amount that will go off depending on how far you are in the game. Im only upto like my first real case and ive already done four on the way to it as i cant not answer the call over the radio.

Teknoman

supermackem said:
How does the side missions work, is there a set amount that will go off depending on how far you are in the game. Im only upto like my first real case and ive already done four on the way to it as i cant not answer the call over the radio.

It seems like they start to repeat after awhile, if you have passed a certain point.

jj350

Banned
I am going to be honest here... I have never been so disappointed with a game before in my life. No joke, this game sucks. I wasn't walking into this game expecting a 1940's GTA4, nor was I expecting another RDR, I walked into this game expecting to find a good detective game and I would up with trash. The linearity of this game sucks all the fun out of it, you can only go about cases one way, and and if you ever answer an interview or interrogation in a way the game doesn't want you to, you can no longer progress as the witness or suspect will refuse to answer anymore questions.

Utter trash this game is. I just played it again tonight in hope I will somehow find a redeeming value in it, all I found was more needless frustration. What really annoys me by now has to be all of the rave reviews I have been reading. What we have here is a prefect example of an arthouse videogame, a game pretentious game critics love that average consumers hate.

Teknoman said:
It seems like they start to repeat after awhile, if you have passed a certain point.

Ahh cool, i know there is 40 or so and i have done 5 now and not even done my first real case as half way there the radio goes and i want to do it.

Sidzed2

Yikes, this thread has just turned negative. I'm on the first case of the murder desk and I'm enjoying the game immensely. We'll see how it pans out, but at this moment I'm feeling like this and Read Dead Redemption are the two best games with the R* name.

NullPointer said:
Got this delivered today and managed to settle down for a few hours of quality time tonight, but I gotta say, I'm not finding the fun yet. Movement is janky, driving is janky, and combat is ... well, janky. And every time I think I understand the mechanics behind interrogations the game reminds me otherwise. Sometimes you choose a line of questioning assuming it will play out one way, only to see your character go wildly in a different direction.

So far I haven't felt any actual reward for being patient or attentive or in character, but only for selecting the right multiple choice answer on a test where all the questions are hazy.

Please tell me the game just starts slowly.

Controls are slow and clunky, from running to turning to shooting to walking around waiting for the "clue" signal, to going into and getting back out of various examination layers. The facial animations are very impressive though, and the whole interrogation thing is a pretty novel concept but in execution is a bit tedious, well at least it's better than the dialogue wheel in ME2.

Not sure why they didn't have a GPS system since it can simply be Phelps knowing the city well enough to know which route to pick. Good game overall.

Montresor

The framerate in the 360 version is horrible.

Aside from that I love this game so much. I'm just blasting through cases, loving clue hunting and interrogating.

Teknoman

supermackem said:

JonCha

People are complaining the controls are slow? They were designed that way. You're meant to be walking.

And I'm probably going to bail out of this thread because it's getting stupidly negative.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The interrogation is where the entire thing can come together, and it comes down to guesswork and is competently broken. I'm on The White Shoe Slaying and just had another case of this,
the bartender TOLD ME that the victim went with a sailor and some guy in the bar that promised to take her dancing. Then the next question asking about the cab is "Do you know where they went?" Well durr, I already know that, he just said. But then he said "Nope. I didn't get that.", though he scratches his side, says uhhnope at the start while looking away from me.

TRUTH MAKES COLE SAY: The husband said she wanted to go dancing.
Bartender says: She always goes dancing when she's drinking, she was talking about going with some of the guys.

Why is that truth? He already told us where she was going, so he obviously knew and wasn't telling the truth. Truth option pressed him for more info.

DOUBT MAKES COLE SAY: She was murdered, benny. Brutally murdered. If you liked this lady you should give us something.
Bartender says: You telling me I'm not cooperating? Watch it, pal.

The bartender suddenly doesn't tell me because I doubted him when he told a lie. I had no proof, so lie obviously wouldn't be right...and as seen above, truth was right.

The options need expounded upon. There is a good base here for something great, but it's impossibly infuriating playing the game and losing leads on a whim because some of the options cross paths for no reason.

JonCha said:
People are complaining the controls are slow? They were designed that way. You're meant up be walking.

And I'm probably going to bail out of this thread because it's getting stupidly negative.

Why is slowly trodding when he's getting shot at by 5 people?

Zomba13

I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally hope this comes today. Ordered from Zavvi (cheapest I could fine) which before Christmas time got me my games day of release but during Christmas time was late on a bunch, including old games (even fucked up my order entirely). I reeeeeally want to play this.

JonCha

Papercuts said:
Why is slowly trodding when he's getting shot at by 5 people?
Unfortunately that is the big downside, as I mentioned in my impressions yesterday a few pages back. I am still going to say the controls are 90% of the time fine though. I've literally had no problems apart from the shooting sequences.

saunderez

MalboroRed said:
Controls are slow and clunky, from running to turning to shooting to walking around waiting for the "clue" signal, to going into and getting back out of various examination layers. The facial animations are very impressive though, and the whole interrogation thing is a pretty novel concept but in execution is a bit tedious, well at least it's better than the dialogue wheel in ME2.

Not sure why they didn't have a GPS system since it can simply be Phelps knowing the city well enough to know which route to pick. Good game overall.
There is a GPS. On the 360 version you hold X while your partner is in the car and they will give you the next direction to your waypoint.

So, my save-game is asking that I repeat the whole Hopgood interrogation + cutscenes and I honestly can't be fucked. The gradually dwindling thrill of the detective side of things, coupled with the apparently horrible ending and overall shoddy controls is preventing me from sticking it out.

I tried; maybe not ridiculously hard, but I tried, nonetheless.

Have fun!

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I'm enjoying the hell out of this game, but one thing bugs me a little: I fucked up 2 interviews (less than 40% of the questions correctly handled) and I don't have the feeling the game is punishing me for it. Is this feeling correct or am I missing out on something?

Throavium

neorej said:
I'm enjoying the hell out of this game, but one thing bugs me a little: I fucked up 2 interviews (less than 40% of the questions correctly handled) and I don't have the feeling the game is punishing me for it. Is this feeling correct or am I missing out on something?

You're missing out on higher rank and unlockables.

I tend to keep restarting the interrogation until I get it right.

Top Bottom