• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

LA-Noire-007.jpg

Phelps seriously has the best faces. :lol

Zertez

Genesis IV said:
This review gives me doubts again.

The Guardian said:
LA Noire largely does away with the free-roaming that enhanced the appeal of Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption.
I dont need a ton of side things to do, but if you are just shuffled from one location to another, a large scale city seems like a waste imo. Something I never thought about is they are trying to capture the emotions, sentiments and feel of America and LA during the time period, but it seems very little people from America are working on it. Guess others feel the same when US developers depict other nations and times in games.

duckroll

Zertez said:
I dont need a ton of side things to do, but if you are just shuffled from one location to another, a large scale city seems like a waste imo. Something I never thought about is they are trying to capture the emotions, sentiments and feel of America and LA during the time period, but it seems very little people from America are working on it. Guess others feel the same when US developers depict other nations and times in games.

It actually makes me more excited, because I don't want a GTA game. I want an adventure game, being marketed as a GTA game to get sales. If there were no combat at all in the game, that might even be better for me!

As for the nationality of people working on the game, why does it even matter? You're taking about capturing the mood and feeling of a post-war America. How many people working on videogames today were even born in that time period, American or otherwise? It's not like we're talking about first hand experience here. Anyone working on the game would have to do research and read up on it or watch documentaries. Doesn't matter if they're American. :p

Decay24

Neo Member
Thanks for the heads up on the Best Buy promo for this guys.

500 bonus points and a $15 gift card being shipped to my house while I purchased the game with $15 rewardzone certificates and an instore pick up preorder.

Sweet

StuBurns

Banned
Zertez said:
Rockstar North make the mainline GTA series, they're not Americans, does that bother you? I can't think of any games set in England made elsewhere so I can't say I have an opinion on the issue myself.

KAL2006

Banned
duckroll said:
It actually makes me more excited, because I don't want a GTA game. I want an adventure game, being marketed as a GTA game to get sales. If there were no combat at all in the game, that might even be better for me!

As for the nationality of people working on the game, why does it even matter? You're taking about capturing the mood and feeling of a post-war America. How many people working on videogames today were even born in that time period, American or otherwise? It's not like we're talking about first hand experience here. Anyone working on the game would have to do research and read up on it or watch documentaries. Doesn't matter if they're American. :p

I like the way you think, I am not too bothered if this isn't a typical sandbox game, there are many sandbox games to play anyway, I want a adventure game that is plot driven, with great pacing and a cinematic presentation with a story that is engaging. I am hoping we get a bit of Phoenix Wright in there when questioning suspects, and we get a big of Heavy Rain with the dialog and cinematic events.

RankoSD

Who said that there's no Euphoria?

You can clearly see from the trailers that the game is using it.
And why shouldn't it be used? imo it's the most advanced physics engine for body movement.

duckroll said:
God I wish this was the case!

StuBurns

Banned
RankoSD said:
Who said that there's no Euphoria?

You can clearly see from the trailers that the game is using it.
And why shouldn't it be used? imo it's the most advanced physics engine for body movement.
Couldn't you say that to every game? Very few do use Euphoria.

Vire

Is there a video of this that goes over the actual gameplay? My curiosity is certainly peaked with the wonderful narrative it seems to spindle, but I'd like to know how it actually plays...

Grisby

StuBurns said:

Cause its so damn expensive isn't it? There was an article or some developer a while back saying it cost a fortune to use that (can't remember who or what it was).

Fjordson

Zertez said:
This review gives me doubts again.

I dont need a ton of side things to do, but if you are just shuffled from one location to another, a large scale city seems like a waste imo.
They're talking about things like going on dates in GTA IV, going to play darts with Roman, or stuff like poker and five finger filet in Red Dead Redemption. The actual world and how you traverse it isn't limited any more than those games. You can go where you want, when you want.

StuBurns

Banned
Grisby said:
Cause its so damn expensive isn't it? There was an article or some developer a while back saying it cost a fortune to use that (can't remember who or what it was).
I read a post on GAF talking about it being quite hard to implement into an engine and very demanding on the performance, no idea how accurate that is though.

MMaRsu

amorbis said:
Yes, it was one of those early praise-reviews. I could be wrong, but typically early reviews lean towards the positive to match with the hype. It seemed like he said the actual shooter gameplay was basically RDR.

I'm going to wait for that IGN review on Monday, and hopefully some other outlets too.

Yeah because Ign has decent reviews right?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
StuBurns said:

And it's not like it's all that immersive!

There's this one video of RDR that I can't seem to find that showed how if you were on "ragdoll mode" (i.e. you can't control your character) and were constantly shot from various sides, you would not fall at all, which meant you couldn't control John at all.

Zertez

duckroll said:

I agree with wanting an adventure game, but I also want to cruise around 40s LA and check out the sites. I dont need to go on a killing spree or go bowling, but I was hoping for a few things to do in the city outside of police work.

I would guess not many working in the industry were alive during the time period, but I would imagine some have parents or grandparents who were. Several first hand accounts give a much more accurate picture of the time period. You can ask questions as well, if you feel something isnt right. It is tough for books to describe the complete hysteria of a town that is going through crazy times, compared to how a person sitting next to you can. Kind of like books describing the aftermath of the Abomb dropping, compared to someone who lived it. I know they are on different levels, but emotions are tough to research in books or watching movies. Im not upset or anything, I just found it a little odd is all.

JABEE

Decay24 said:
Thanks for the heads up on the Best Buy promo for this guys.

500 bonus points and a $15 gift card being shipped to my house while I purchased the game with $15 rewardzone certificates and an instore pick up preorder.

Sweet
Do they not add the 500 points until it is picked up or shipped?

StuBurns said:
I read a post on GAF talking about it being quite hard to implement into an engine and very demanding on the performance, no idea how accurate that is though.

Not only is it demanding, but you have to model your entire animation system and engine to it. It's not like just throwing ragdoll in there and calling it a day.

Juan29.zapata said:
And it's not like it's all that immersive!

There's this one video of RDR that I can't seem to find that showed how if you were on "ragdoll mode" (i.e. you can't control your character) and were constantly shot from various sides, you would not fall at all, which meant you couldn't control John at all.

That was EXTREMELY rare. Euphoria was almost perfected in RDR. In fact, there were many instances where Euphoria saved me from stumbling in certain situations where games like Saints Row, or Just Cause would've had me tumbling, or sliding.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Net_Wrecker said:
That was EXTREMELY rare. Euphoria was almost perfected in RDR. In fact, there were many instances where Euphoria saved me from stumbling in certain situations where games like Saints Row, or Just Cause would've had me tumbling, or sliding.

Yeah, you're right.

Although the best instance of Euphoria that I've seen was from GTA4. I somehow managed to break Nico's back with a street light. It even cracked!

But that video was hilarious, must search for it.

Scapegoat

Kinda glad copies are sneaking out early! Hopefully we can get a definitive word on the differences (if any) between the two versions.

Fingers crossed that performance and visuals are equal across platforms, and that you can swap aim/shoot to L1/R1 on PS3!

duckroll

Zertez said:
I agree with wanting an adventure game, but I also want to cruise around 40s LA and check out the sites. I dont need to go on a killing spree or go bowling, but I was hoping for a few things to do in the city outside of police work.

I would guess not many working in the industry were alive during the time period, but I would imagine some have parents or grandparents who were. Several first hand accounts give a much more accurate picture of the time period. You can ask questions as well, if you feel something isnt right. It is tough for books to describe the complete hysteria of a town that is going through crazy times, compared to how a person sitting next to you can. Kind of like books describing the aftermath of the Abomb dropping, compared to someone who lived it. I know they are on different levels, but emotions are tough to research in books or watching movies. Im not upset or anything, I just found it a little odd is all.

The thing about period pieces is that you have to realize that as you go back through time, the world and even large countries, were less and less connected. People living in various places generally have almost zero idea first hand of what another place was like at the time. The specific setting of LA would mean that even for Americans, unless their parents or grandparents lived in LA at the time, there isn't a whole lot of useful personal experience to draw on to create the mood and feel of the city. I think you'll be surprised to learn that most of the well regarded fiction in any medium which capture the moods and themes of period eras, generally aren't written/directed by someone who had first hand knowledge of the setting. Research goes a long way, and often it's about a lot more than just reading up. You interview people, talk to them, etc. But the nationality or personal family history of the guy making it rarely matters as much as his actual skills and the knowledge of the medium he's bringing the story to.

Zertez

StuBurns said:
Rockstar North make the mainline GTA series, they're not Americans, does that bother you? I can't think of any games set in England made elsewhere so I can't say I have an opinion on the issue myself.
GTA games are little different though. They are modern day games set in fictional cities that are based off a real life city. GTA games are so far over the top, I dont care about inaccurate things, just like I dont care how unrealistic Saints Row is. They are not really trying to capture emotional feel or replicating "perfectly" a city during a time period when making a GTA city. LA Noire is trying to recreate 1947 LA perfectly and portray the feelings of the city during this time. Like I said it isnt a deal breaker for me, I just found it odd. I guess no one else thought about something similar when American developers are depicting their own country.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Zertez said:
GTA games are little different though. They are modern day games set in fictional cities that are based off a real life city. GTA games are so far over the top, I dont care about inaccurate things, just like I dont care how unrealistic Saints Row is. They are not really trying to capture emotional feel or replicating "perfectly" a city during a time period when making a GTA city. LA Noire is trying to recreate 1947 LA perfectly and portray the feelings of the city during this time. Like I said it isnt a deal breaker for me, I just found it odd. I guess no one else thought about something similar when American developers are depicting their own country.

Over the top? Did you really play GTA4? That was some serious game.

StuBurns

Banned
Zertez said:
Although they boast a very accurate recreation of LA at the period, I'm not sure how realistic they're trying to go within the context of the game itself. It looks like they just want to make LA Confidential a game starring the Mad Man cast.

I thought of a non-UK game set in the UK, Resistance. I don't like it, not sure if it says anything about the fact it's not by English people though. I like R2 even less and it's not in England.

MMaRsu

Juan29.zapata said:
Over the top? Did you really play GTA4? That was some serious game.

Still over the top and realistic though. Not to the lengths of San Andreas or Saints Row 2, but far from realistic. Just sayin.

Still not sure what I should do about this game. With The Witcher 2 coming out, I'm just inclined to wait a bit longer... Though I've really been looking forward to it.

Any other folks weary?

duckroll

Net_Wrecker said:
No. The vision is Team Bondi's but Rockstar had their hand in more than a few areas. Maybe 70-30 Bondi.

Are you sure? The game has been in development long, long before Rockstar was ever involved...

KAL2006

Banned
OK I read the OP watched all the videos and am hyped for this game, I just assumed this was basically a GTA game but I couldn't be so wrong, it looks to be a adventure game that is plot driven, and I love the investigating, finding clues, interrogation aspect of this game.

duckroll said:
Are you sure? The game has been in development long, long before Rockstar was ever involved...

I just read an interview where they said it was basically still a text adventure game up until last year, and the face capturing wasn't even fully implemented. So yeah, I'm pretty sure Rockstar had a hand in developing this. Looking at the radar, the map, the animations, etc. etc., they are clearly Rockstar.

Plasmid

duckroll said:

I thought rockstar did all the scouting years ago for L.A. Noire and then bondi showed interest?

I may be completely wrong though.

If the shooting is as good as RDR i'll be happy.

duckroll

Net_Wrecker said:
I just read an interview where they said it was basically still a text adventure game up until last year, and the face capturing wasn't even fully implemented. So yeah, I'm pretty sure Rockstar had a hand in developing this. Looking at the radar, the map, the animations, etc. etc., they are clearly Rockstar.

Is there any proof? Like have they said anything as such? Or are you just assuming? A lot of the familiar looking map and interface systems could simply be suggestions which were implemented by Bondi at the publisher's request. I haven't see any interview or report suggesting that Rockstar has any actual development stuff from North or San Diego working on this game at all.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Funny, ive heard the complete opposite
Montresor said:
I've also heard news that Team Bondi has developed only 30% of the game. =p

Well, whatever the case, Rockstar clearly had a hand in developing this, and it has probably went through a ton of different iterations since the initial reveal trailer.

Top Bottom