• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

tiff

Banned
Interstellar said:
Assigned to R2 and cannot be changed.

That's one of my biggest complaints in the game, no customizable controls. R2 to shoot and R1 to go into cover? R2 to accelerate and handbrake turn on R1? Does Rockstar/Team Bondi know that face buttons exist? At least let players customize the controls.
One of the best things about skipping side missions is I barely have to fuck with shootouts anymore, which is a fantastic thing for exactly this reason. If they're going to put cover on the shoulder buttons it should at least be opposite of the run button so I can get in and out of cover smoothly, but instead I fumble through every shootout because the controls are garbage.

And does L1 even do anything in the car? Why are brake and handbrake on opposite sides of the controller? Who the hell is going to do both at the same time?

_Xenon_

Banned
Are these things true back in the 40/50s in America?

1. Was negro the official race name for African American (even saw this on the ID cards in game)? I'm Asian and even I feel it quite disturbing.

2. Was adultery a crime back then which could get you fired / suspended from your job? Kind of unbelievable for me.

TheExodu5 said:
One thing that really bothers me about the cases in this game: motive never seems to be a part of it. We collect evidence, but motive is almost never brought into play. This is especially the case with the Murder desk.

Yeah case in point, in the Golden butterfly case the motive I got from it was that either
eli was a pervert and just killed her because she was there at the time, or her husband did it because their marriage was crap and they had an argument beforehand...

Still don't really get it to be honest, you get the how but the game seems to skim on the why.

Atruvius

TheExodu5 said:
One thing that really bothers me about the cases in this game: motive never seems to be a part of it. We collect evidence, but motive is almost never brought into play. This is especially the case with the Murder desk.
Probably because (just my speculation)
everybody you arrest seems to be innocent. A serial killer is committing all those murders.

_Xenon_

Banned
Atruvius said:
everybody you arrest seems to be innocent. A serial killer is committing all those murders.
It still doesn't make sense because
if the church guy is the true killer then how do you explain those blood shirts / murder tools / vics' belongs found in those previous cases
?

Atruvius

_Xenon_ said:
if the church guy is the true killer then how do you explain those blood shirts / murder tools / vics' belongs found in those previous cases
?
Oh god! I read that spoiler and I'm not that far in to the story yet. D:

Not reading anymore spoilered text!

I've run into a few weird physics issues, but nothing big. At one point though, I got pretty pissed when there was a gap between cars and I couldn't run through it on some random street crime. That pissed me off.

The controls are the only thing that really bothers me. The whole shooting and running on the same trigger is retarded. This could be remedied if you could actually change the controls. WTF.

tiff

Banned
_Xenon_ said:

1. Was negro the official race name for African American (even saw this on the ID cards in game)? I'm Asian and even I feel it quite disturbing.

2. Was adultery a crime back then which could get you fired / suspended from your job? Kind of unbelievable for me.
Not 100% sure but I believe the answer to both is yes.

tass0

Banned
L.A. Noire sure has the strangest glitches.

img0476a.jpg

Also the main character had his face changed to some random face as I was in a gun battle.

Really odd glitches.

bob page

Damn, this game gets better and better with each case. Love it.

My girlfriend loves watching me play and helping with interrogations too. She won't let me play it unless she's around now, lol.

Vega

Finished the game last night. Despite It's flaws, I loved the shit out of this game. The atmosphere and faces totally made the game for me. I really really hope Rockstar funds a sequel to this. So much potential here. I would love it if this became a series. So good.

My biggest gripe with the game is that Cole didn't really have a personality at all until the Arson desk. Which, unfortunately, is the last desk in the game. By the time his story became interesting the game was nearly over. What a shame. Kelso with much less "screen time" was way more interesting. Also, now that Bondi has the map of LA completed, actually do something with it in the sequel! Unless you're into sightseeing there isn't much to do free roaming the city.

I'd give it a solid 8/10.

tass0 said:
L.A. Noire sure has the strangest glitches.

[mg]http://imageshack.us/m/862/7095/img0476a.jpg[/img]

Also the main character had his face changed to some random face as I was in a gun battle.

Really odd glitches.

During the intro to one case, the woman that was murdered didn't appear. Instead a floating handbag got out of a car.

dc89

Love this game so far, investigating/looking for clues/interviewing is soooooo good.

Lost interest abit in my last case in Traffic but that hasn't lowered my opinion of the game I still think its extremely good!

Atruvius said:

Yeah I got that feeling too after
that mendez guy is pretty much set up, as he says who's going to leave a load of blood covered evidence in plain sight by their bed?, also a lot of the clues in the butterfly case didn't make 100% and there was now definite outcome in the case, hopefully it will all make sense after I play it more tonight

Cartman86

Banned
Atruvius said:
Today I compeleted the Golden Butterfly. I only missed 2 clues and got 3 questions wrong and I still got only 2 stars. I didn't even crash that much.
Maybe I should have arrested the creep, instead of the husband?

Yep just finished it too. This case is the perfect example of what is right and wrong with this game.

SPOILERS FOR GOLDEN BUTTERFLY CASE

At first I loved it. It's a classic
no win situation. Do you stick to your guns and put away the guy who actually did it, but is unlikely to harm anyone else (and has a kid to take care of)? Or do you put away the guy who will continue to harm children even though he didn't do this specific crime? Great right? Not really...

Your captain wants you to put away the pedo. If you don't he gets angry. The result nets you a bad score. Are the points from some omniscient game overlord who knows what the actual right answer is? If so then the game shouldn't structure the case to be an obvious dilemma. Are the points given out based on your perception in the police force? I'm okay with that though it would be nice if those points or what the boss thinks of you actually matters. As it is the boss ends after bitching you out he goes on loving you again. Whatever the points do it doesn't really matter in this case because the real problem is that the whole situation is a false dichotomy.

Why force me to choose who did it? There isn't enough hard evidence to put away either man. Sure in my mind the husband has the greatest possibly of being guilty, but he also has the greatest chance of being exonerated. First you find a tire iron with blood on it that came from his same make of car. Well the obvious thing to do would be to check if his iron is still in his car. You can't! What about his claim that the blood on his shoes was rabbits blood? You can't inquire into that either. You have to make a decision then and there. I'm not even asking the developers to do something complicated like make a real game where the coroner is always on hand and you can check evidence with him to confirm suspects stories. In this hypothetical game could even miss this stuff by not paying attention and you could end up putting someone away for bad reasons. But i'm not even asking for that. I would have been happy with the main character simply arguing with the chief that he needs more time, but the chief instead forces you (on threat of termination) to make a decision. That would be enough. However, as it is now it feels incredibly artificial.

All of this of course assumes that the game never intended for the question of who did it to be hard. If it's supposed to be an easy answer then fuck this game. The developer can't do drama for shit then. Whole lines of dialog and interesting philosophical ideas brought up in the game are for nothing. Also if it turns out that I'm right and neither did it I'm gonna be pissed.

PS: This ignores the confusing nature of the interrogations which could just be me sucking.

It sucks because there is so much to like. As others have said it's totally a Assassins Creed situation. Though at times it feels worse, because instead of boring and repetitive gameplay you get confusing gameplay. Can't say I've ever experienced a game that was so confusing.

_Xenon_ said:

Yes.

pakkit

Banned
I haven't had any of these awesome glitches you are describing. I did get one hard crash, though, that sucked.

I'm tasting the end now. The narrative in this game is so tight that it's hard to put down. Loving it.

I guess my biggest problem story-wise so far has been after the Homicide desk.
How is there so much circumstantial evidence if all these suspects are not guilty? I enjoyed the Black Dahlia case, but it tied everything up very loosely, and made the cases feel for naught.

a) Is there a subtle film grain/noise in this game? (ie looking at the sky, its a bit "dirty")

b) Anyone else find it hard to dialogue a lot of times?

Irish

Heh, it is interesting to watch people come in after a few hours of play and call everyone crazy for not absolutely loving the game. Shit, I felt the same way for a while, but for me, it all fell apart in Homicide. All the magic was lost by that point. Of course, some people end up loving it more after Homicide, so that may just be the turning point of the game where people can really decide how well they like the game.

This seems to be a very divisive game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Irish said:
Heh, it is interesting to watch people come in after a few hours of play and call everyone crazy for not absolutely loving the game. Shit, I felt the same way for a while, but for me, it all fell apart in Homicide. All the magic was lost by that point. Of course, some people end up loving it more after Homicide, so that may just be the turning point of the game where people can really decide how well they like the game.

Yeah, it does. I can see why people can still love it, but homicide is going to be hard to come back from for me.
I just don't know what went through their heads when they made 5 cases that were basically the same, putting away innocent people in a detective game. I expected having to closely examine evidence, try to piece together what happened at the scene of the crime, mess up and you arrest an innocent man and the killer gets away. But if you do that with LA Noire, it just shows you how the perps DIDN'T do it/you don't have enough to go on.

I like the tie in saying the black dahlia case was "solved" but left open because of the actual killer being related to someone important, but the actual process of following this bread crumb trail took a giant chunk of the game and gave me 0 satisfaction. You literally end all of this just to chase a guy in a bunch of linear corridors until you kill him. I accidentally blindfired into his hand and he slumped over, desk complete.

The Silk Stocking Murder

Fantastic case. I loved how the did the initial crime scene, all the questioning, all the facial animations, the Cole/Rusty bantering, and how the case closed. I think this might have been my favorite so far.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The "doubt" option is just too strong. Is this a parody of 1950s HARD COP DRAMAS or did they write him that way intentionally?

When you're trying to coax information out of someone, you don't call them a slutwhore and shove your finger in their faces. Who does that?

Only real issue I have is lack of save option, went for a drive and forgot about my partner... 20mins to drive to over side of city to a objective :/
At-least I found some cool places.

cackhyena

Y2Kev said:
The "doubt" option is just too strong. Is this a parody of 1950s HARD COP DRAMAS or did they write him that way intentionally?

When you're trying to coax information out of someone, you don't call them a slutwhore and shove your finger in their faces. Who does that?
A man of conviction.

Clunker

Irish said:

I think any game that forces the player to accept it on its own, very specific terms (also see: Dead Rising, Mirror's Edge) is going to be divisive by its very nature. So far I love it, though fittingly, I'm still in the middle of Homicide. :p Just finished the Golden Butterfly case.

Any game that touts "logic" as a feature or mechanic is going to get some arguments from people who feel they've been cheated. I think the types of people that chafe at the decisions in this game (or something very similar, like Phoenix Wright) are also the types of people that hate multiple-choice logic questions because they feel they can come up with a right answers that's beyond the scope of the answers listed. But at least with L.A. Noire, coming up against a tough interrogation and choosing the "wrong" answer doesn't end the game -- it just guides the case in a different direction, which I think is far more interesting anyway.

I don't know why some people get so worked up over being graded poorly on one case; I got a two-star rating on the Golden Butterfly case for the same reason most everyone here did, but instead of crying "bullshit" I thought it made perfect sense once I stopped to think about it. And if it ties into what I suspect the general theme of the Homicide desk is (
putting innocent people into prison just to appease your boss and feed the newshounds
), then I think it's an even more brilliant step, regardless of whether or not it was a developer-conscious decision.

To be fair, though, I also adored Braid specifically because it trolled the player at key moments (
namely, forcing players who wanted all of the stars to potentially reset their entire game and spend two hours idling on a cloud to make a statement
).

I'm fully aware the game could really take a nose-dive toward the end, but so far I'm really enjoying it.

Ok, so 'doubt' is basically 'get angry and try and force information out of the person'. Right, makes sense now. I was using it as 'expressing uncertainty over a statement', which, y'know, actually makes sense seeing as it's the middle ground between believing a statement is the truth or a lie.

I'm on Case No. 5 and am talking to
Margaret Black. I ask about her husbands glasses, she says "he just bought a new pair" - I already know that the pair found at the crime-scene were home-repaired, suggesting an old pair of glasses, so I chose the 'doubt' option which causes this bit of dialogue; "so you disposed of the new pair after you killed your husband? You made a mistake leaving the old pair behind!" WTF? Where the fuck did that come from? I was expecting something along the lines of "a new pair, you say? The glasses we found at the scene didn't seem new", not bat-shit insane cop to accuse the victim's wife a murderer out of nowhere!

Cartman86

Banned
Bootaaay said:
Ok, so 'doubt' is basically 'get angry and try and force information out of the person'. Right, makes sense now. I was using it as 'expressing uncertainty over a statement', which, y'know, actually makes sense seeing as it's the middle ground between believing a statement is the truth or a lie.

I'm on Case No. 5 and am talking to
Margaret Black. I ask about her husbands glasses, she says "he just bought a new pair" - I already know that the pair found at the crime-scene were home-repaired, suggesting an old pair of glasses, so I chose the 'doubt' option which causes this bit of dialogue; "so you disposed of the new pair after you killed your husband? You made a mistake leaving the old pair behind!" WTF? Where the fuck did that come from? I was expecting something along the lines of "a new pair, you say? The glasses we found at the scene didn't seem new", not bat-shit insane cop to accuse the victim's wife a murderer out of nowhere!

lol I did and thought the exact same thing. I wonder if this game went through any sort of playtesting?

BeeDog

Y2Kev said:

That's my main beef with the game so far; the shifts in tone can be completely absurd. Also, the facial expressions are often too exaggerated. I hope they tone them down as the cases become harder.

BeeDog said:
That's my main beef with the game so far; the shifts in tone can be completely absurd. Also, the facial expressions are often too exaggerated. I hope they tone them down as the cases become harder.

Some of the facial expressions can be exaggerated, yeah, but I'll be damned if there haven't been some characters where I tripped for just a moment or two and thought I was looking at a real person. Not to wax hyperbole over Bondi's efforts or anything, but some characters (not all, mind you) look downright life-like.

I do agree the changes in tone are sometimes poorly handled but hyperbolic accusation really takes you off guard.

Cole being that intense helps rattles witnesses, IMO.

Buckethead said:
I do agree the changes in tone are sometimes poorly handled but hyperbolic accusation really takes you off guard.

Cole being that intense helps rattles witnesses, IMO.

This is what I thought at well. DOUBT in the game pretty much means "Cole has a feeling the person is lying, so now he's going to become Bad Cop to get it out of them." It's weird the first time, but after he does it multiple times, that should show the player something.

Truth = Nice Cole
Doubt = Douche Cole without solid evidence
Lie = Slappin' bitches wit dat hard evidence.

Astery

_Xenon_ said:
?

I'm confused as well, and I still can't figure that shit out.

Net_Wrecker said:
This is what i thought at well. DOUBT in the game pretty much means "Cole has a feeling the person is lying, so now he's going to become Bad Cop to get it out of them." It's weird the first time, but after he does it multiple times, that should show the player something.

It should just be called something different, because doubt suggests uncertainty, not forceful questioning.

Doubt = Probing to get more because something's not right

Lie = Somethings wrong and have proof

More options would be redundant, IMO.
They just need to add sub questions or maybe a "tone" sub-system.

just started Quarter Moon Murder

FINALLY, the case is doing something interesting and different, ie following clues to map locations. It's obvious that this case is going to tie the previous 4 together and end the homicide desk. Overall, I'm immensely enjoying the game, but it frustrates me how many leads and threads are left open with each case, and how some clues never come into play.

F#A#Oo

Banned
If I replay a case do I get the exp that I missed out on originally for increasing rank?

Or is the only way to get exp is through a new game save?

I love Galloway, I wish I was playing as him instead. He's my kind of cop, old-school Sipowicz style!

Also, I would pay for DLC that would allow me to call everyone I talk to "shitbird".

Plasmid

Shorty11857 said:
Is there a way to tell what cars you don't have yet?

Go to the main menu, go down to extra, go to vehicle showroom, it'll tell you what you do and don't have.

Then you just do the process of elimination there. :x.

These are all i need left.

2-Door Vehicles (25)

Buick Custom - Hollywood
Packard Custom - Wilshire

4-Door Vehicles (19)

Cadillac Series 61 Touring Sedan - Wilshire
Hudson Super Six - Downtown, Central
International D Series Sedan - East Downtown
Plymouth Sedan - East Downtown
Plymouth Special Deluxe Six - Wilshire

Sports Vehicles (8)

Cadillac V16 Convertible - Hollywood
Chevrolette Fleetmaster Convertible - Hollywood

Service Vehicles (20)

Ford Ambulance - Central

Police Vehicles (9)

International Police Wagon - At roadblocks, or during the Reefer Madness mission

Just had my first interrogation were I got every question wrong, and it really annoyed me.

I could have understood this if I had overlooked some evidence/clues and was not paying attention, but my answers were not guesswork.

Frustrating.

Irish said:

Yeah, I felt the same way when I first played it. Amazing stuff. But that changed post-homicide desk.

I love how my boss reams me out for fucking up a case and then tells me what a great job I did on it in the first cut scene of the very next case.

Lime

I swear, Phelps is probably the biggest asshole of all gaming protagonists in the history of video games. Reaming a rape victim? Classy.

Papercuts said:
Yeah, it does. I can see why people can still love it, but homicide is going to be hard to come back from for me.
I just don't know what went through their heads when they made 5 cases that were basically the same, putting away innocent people in a detective game. I expected having to closely examine evidence, try to piece together what happened at the scene of the crime, mess up and you arrest an innocent man and the killer gets away. But if you do that with LA Noire, it just shows you how the perps DIDN'T do it/you don't have enough to go on.

I like the tie in saying the black dahlia case was "solved" but left open because of the actual killer being related to someone important, but the actual process of following this bread crumb trail took a giant chunk of the game and gave me 0 satisfaction. You literally end all of this just to chase a guy in a bunch of linear corridors until you kill him. I accidentally blindfired into his hand and he slumped over, desk complete.

just finished homicide, & agree with you 1000%.
i knew i didn't have hard evidence, in any of the cases, & yet was accusing people of murder anyway - which was just so completely frigging out of character for the otherwise by-the-book character i'm playing. had anyone, under the circumstances, actually broken down & confessed, that'd be fine. but no one ever did. i mean, damn, in one case (can't remember which), i'd just finished questioning someone, & suddenly cole flat-out accuses him & bam! - case closed! blew my mind! - it was like he was channeling rusty :) ...

i appreciate the way they were trying to fit the cases into a framework. but it all would've been a helluva lot more acceptable if it was anyone other than cole bringing guys up on charges, or if cole'd had the option to not press charges - they could've still scored your casework, right?...

&, on a somewhat related subject, regarding why in the hell no evidence is being dusted for prints: i believe in artistic license, & am willing to give games especially lots of leeway, but, for a supposedly 'immersive' police procedural game like this, that one's like an 800 lb gorilla - just impossible to ignore, no matter how many times cole just sorta casually picks up potential murder weapons :) . yeah, forensics were obviously a bit primitive back then. but not quite that primitive...

Top Bottom