• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

JonCha

Hit the Quarter Moon Case and am probably done for today. Things are getting pretty good at this point (the previous case was the only one I lost interest in, despite the creeps involved).

Forsete said:
Fantastic game. Almost perfect for me.

Btw, Team Bondi should be doing the optimization of future RDR/GTA-games. LA Noire both looks and runs better than GTA4. The framerate on the PS3 version is MILES better than GTA4.

It's not even Team Bondi, it's just that Rockstar needs to be leading on the PS3. It's ridiculous that they don't already considering how much GTA leaned towards the 360 version, and "porting" from PS3 to 360 is usually best for everyone. On top of that, if they're willing to spread the main narrative across multiple discs on the 360 while using the size of the PS3's Blu-ray effectively, that just makes me look at their disc size complaint like....Really? You say the 360's disc was a problem, yet the Mass Effect 2, or LA Noire option was there the whole time.

And 10 hours in, I'm still highly enjoying the game. The repetitive nature, and any complaint I might have just isn't enough to really kill my hype. It's just a really slow burning different experience to anything I've played this gen.

I really love this game, I am about 12 hours in just finished the Quarter Moon case
even though I predicted who the killer would be several cases ago seemed so obvious

The shooting isn't great but it's serviceable, same with the hand to hand. I like the driving controls and I probably spent an hour just driving around LA finding all the landmarks.

I like the narrative structure too, each case feels like an episode of a tv show, and they take about an hour each (I drive everywhere) so it works. For all its faults I'd say this game easily deserves a 9, unless things really go south from now on

Net_Wrecker said:
It's not even Team Bondi, it's just that Rockstar needs to be leading on the PS3. It's ridiculous that they don't already considering how much GTA leaned towards the 360 version, and "porting" from PS3 to 360 is usually best for everyone.

Rockstar ports to PS3 and codes first on 360 for one reason. It's way easier for them to do so. PS3 is notoriously hard to develop for, while the 360 architecture works very similarly to that of a PC. Rockstar knows GTA will sell regardless of that quality of the port and so they have very little reason to make their development process any harder than is neccasary.
Besides their ports aren't terrible, they still play very well and look decent on PS3.

Appollowexx said:
Rockstar ports to PS3 and codes first on 360 for one reason. It's way easier for them to do so. PS3 is notoriously hard to develop for, while the 360 architecture works very similarly to that of a PC. Rockstar knows GTA will sell regardless of that quality of the port and so they have very little reason to make their development process any harder than is neccasary.
Besides their ports aren't terrible, they still play very well and look decent on PS3.

That's damn true, and reason enough to take the "lazy" (yes I know it still takes a ton of work) way out.

Anyone know what the deal is with "The Consul's Car" that PS3 exclusive case, is it going to be free DLC or something when the store comes back up because it doesn't seem on disc

Ridley327

Shorty11857 said:
Anyone know what the deal is with "The Consul's Car" that PS3 exclusive case, is it going to be free DLC or something when the store comes back up because it doesn't seem on disc
It's included on a DLC voucher with every copy of the game on the PS3.

Shorty11857 said:

It is free DLC. Did you not notice the code voucher included in the game case?

Anyways, we'll have to wait till Monday/Tuesday to redeem it.

Ridley327 said:
It's included on a DLC voucher with every copy of the game on the PS3.

My case only had the game disc and the booklet no extra voucher...

Edit: Apparently it's a North American exclusive...what the hell Rockstar/Team Bondi

Arnie

This game is perfect for breaks between revision. I'll do a couple of hours of revision then complete a case for ~35 minutes. Managed to 5 Star "Marriage Made in Heaven" or whatever it's called. Loving this game, such a breath of fresh air.

ElyrionX

Just got back from a holiday and saw this thread. This game was not even anywhere on my radar so the high scores shocked me a little.

Anyway, 360 or PS3? And why?

I definitely think that LA Noire is better played in small doses... marathoning this game makes it feel repetitive and very 'same same' but doing a case a day is a much better way to spread it out and keep it feeling fresh fresh.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ElyrionX said:
Anyway, 360 or PS3? And why?

The consensus is PS3.

- "Bonus downloadable case" on PS3 in North America (naturally, not currently downloadable due to PSN)
- PS3: 1 disc, 360: 3 discs. The packaging for the 360 version is fine, the discs aren't stacked in North America, not sure about other territories.
- Although both versions have a generally good framerate, the PS3's framerate dips less often and less severely.
- PS3 version has a mandatory install and loads a little faster than the 360 version, although the load time difference evaporates if you install the 360 version.
- Both versions look basically the same.

Arnie

Stumpokapow said:
The consensus is PS3.

- "Bonus downloadable case" on PS3 in North America (naturally, not currently downloadable due to PSN)
- PS3: 1 disc, 360: 3 discs. The packaging for the 360 version is fine, the discs aren't stacked in North America, not sure about other territories.
- Although both versions have a generally good framerate, the PS3's framerate dips less often and less severely.
- PS3 version has a mandatory install and loads a little faster than the 360 version, although the load time difference evaporates if you install the 360 version.
I bought the PAL 360 version and the disks are stacked. Don't know why the difference in region but it's definitely something to consider if you don't have the space on your hard drive for a 3 disk install. Fortunately I installed the disks so little scratches won't affect anything, but still something that might cause problems for others. Apart from that I haven't noticed any graphical shortcomings with the 360 version, although once or twice the frame rate has hiccuped for a second, but nothing more.

Loving this game, making it very hard to do my revision.

RedStep

Net_Wrecker said:
It's not even Team Bondi, it's just that Rockstar needs to be leading on the PS3. It's ridiculous that they don't already considering how much GTA leaned towards the 360 version, and "porting" from PS3 to 360 is usually best for everyone.

How is that best for everyone? It seems like that's only best for PS3 owners.

360 Lead:
Developers: Advantage (easier)
360 Players: Advantage (better version)
PS3 Players: Disadvantage (worse version)

PS3 Lead:
Developers: Disadvantage (more difficult build in general)
360 Players: Disadvantage (worse version)
PS3 Players: Advantage (better version)

That doesn't justify the sometimes-apparent lack of effort in ports, but there's a reason they do it.

iNvid02

Struct09 said:
Any word yet on what the patch does? My PS3 automatically downloaded it this morning.

Noteworthy changes and fixes include:

Fixes for several in-game store issues including age-verification for DLC purchases
Fixes for minor gameplay bugs and graphical issues
Fixes for several minor plot/objective/conversation issues
Improvements in stat-tracking and Social-Club integration

Arnie

RedStep said:

360 Lead:

PS3 Lead:

That doesn't justify the sometimes-apparent lack of effort in ports, but there's a reason they do it.
Firstly the ability to produce the game on PS3 as lead isn't always more difficult, it just depends on the developers experience with the architecture. For example Team Bondi started this game as a PS3 exclusive and many members of the team would've also had experience with the architecture back when The Getaway 3 was in pre-production (I'm guessing).

I think the main reason he suggested that it's better for everyone is because the severity in difference between versions is much greater when the 360 is lead than it is when PS3 leads. As someone who plays the majority of multiplatforms on 360, I'm perfectly happy with the PS3 version being the lead, because developers have a tendency to get the version onto 360 without any major omissions.

Not like say, Mafia 2 or RDR where PS3 players had a significantly worse version in the visual department than 360 players.

RedStep said:

360 Lead:

PS3 Lead:

This is not necessarily correct.

It's a hell of a lot harder to port from Xbox 360 to PS3 (which is the reason that when the Xbox 360 is the lead version that the SP3 version usually ends up being the worse version) and therefore being easier to port from the PS3 to the Xbox 360 and giving better results all around it only makes natural sense to go that way. A lead PS3 port to 360 usually results in a near parity game between consoles with any differences being so minor than only the most picky whiny people would really care, whereas the differences between a lead 360 port to PS3 are a bit more major and more noticeable by more people and such, it makes even MORE sense to make PS3 the lead.

Adamm

PS3 Lead:

Its much easier to port from PS3 to 360, so both version will be similar.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
LevityNYC said:
The ps3 version has a fair amount of pop in. Red Dead ran better because there was simply less going on on the screen and you were moving slower.
Overall LA Noire runs much smoother than Red Dead. RDR was consistently below 30 fps while LA Noire generally holds a solid 30 fps. The issue is that, when it does dip, it becomes more obvious due to the way they are handling the rendering.

Appollowexx said:
In this case, I'd say it was coded for PS3 first and ported to 360. This was a first party Sony game at one time, after all.

RedStep

ColonialRaptor said:
This is not necessarily correct.

It's a hell of a lot harder to port from Xbox 360 to PS3 (which is the reason that when the Xbox 360 is the lead version that the SP3 version usually ends up being the worse version) and therefore being easier to port from the PS3 to the Xbox 360 and giving better results all around it only makes natural sense to go that way. A lead PS3 port to 360 usually results in a near parity game between consoles with any differences being so minor than only the most picky whiny people would really care, whereas the differences between a lead 360 port to PS3 are a bit more major and more noticeable by more people and such, it makes even MORE sense to make PS3 the lead.

I guess there aren't enough examples of a PS3 lead for me to make a fair comparison.

Burnout Paradise was great on both sides, but Criterion was willing to put in the effort to develop well on the PS3 in the first place.

LA Noire runs like shit on both platforms, and it has no reason to. Especially in the open world, it looks worse than most of its peers. The only technological increase is the facial animation, and those scenes run just fine (interrogations).

My theory would be that they're just not stellar programmers and should have worked with something a little easier. The Getaway games ran pretty badly on PS2 as I remember (but I liked them anyway, as I do LAN).

Maybe it should be Excellent Programmers = PS3 lead, Bad Programmers = 360 lead... but who'd admit that they're not very good? Obsidian's still kicking.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
RedStep said:
My theory would be that they're just not stellar programmers and should have worked with something a little easier. The Getaway games ran pretty badly on PS2 as I remember (but I liked them anyway, as I do LAN).

Maybe it should be Excellent Programmers = PS3 lead, Bad Programmers = 360 lead... but who'd admit that they're not very good? Obsidian's still kicking.
Really? REALLY? We're going here? Have you worked in game development at all?

ElyrionX

Stumpokapow said:
The consensus is PS3.

Thanks. PS3 it is then.

Grisby

dark10x said:
Overall LA Noire runs much smoother than Red Dead. RDR was consistently below 30 fps while LA Noire generally holds a solid 30 fps. The issue is that, when it does dip, it becomes more obvious due to the way they are handling the rendering.

In this case, I'd say it was coded for PS3 first and ported to 360. This was a first party Sony game at one time, after all.

Yeah, that's it. Becuase at least on the 360, it runs a lot worse than RDR.

lucius

I love the game, I enjoy it more when I just play a case or two and stop, I respond to all street crimes. It is better for me to reflect and absorb what happened in each case. I agree with Adam Sessler that it not really a game that should be played in one sitting or rushed through, you will likely miss a lot. That's why I can see many gamers that want or expecting a balls to the walls action game may be like WTH is this?

I hope there is a sequel (or just more games like it) and I will be buying all LA Noire DLC like I did with Mass Effect2. Sequel may not happen, would be nice, we are already going to be getting at least 10 more versions of COD maybe even more.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
After the initial stuttering in the opening cinematic I was a bit concerned about the 360 version, but after playing half the game it really has not been an issue for me. I'm not noticing the terrible pop-in that was compared to Mass Effect/Gears 1.

RedStep

XiaNaphryz said:
Really? REALLY? We're going here? Have you worked in game development at all?

Of course not, that's why I said "theory". I'm not stating it as fact. It's not meant to be an argument, and you don't need to respond. I think they're not very good, since their game looks and runs like shit. Games that look great and run great seem to have been made by better teams. I simply said that maybe if their initial build was made easier for them, they might have done a better job. It's not rocket surgery.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
"Games that look great and run great seem to have been made by better teams" is a lot different than saying "Excellent Programmers = PS3 lead, Bad Programmers = 360 lead." It's not rocket surgery.

dark10x said:

It was. I was refering to Rockstar games though (RDR / GTA) rather than Team Bondi. I do think in a perfect world all developers would lead on PS3 to ensure that one version doesn't unfairly suffer due to port issues, but game development is hard / stressful work and I'm in no position to be telling companies how to do their jobs.

Think I'm going to hit LA Noire hard for a long play sesh tonight. haven't had much time with it yet and it's niggling me.

_Xenon_

Banned
Game seems pretty buggy.

Once my partner got stuck in the fence and I couldn't trigger any event because my partner couldn't get in the car.

Once in Manifest Destiny I couldn't trigger anything
the bus shooting
after finishing pointing the manifest guide book because I had visited the police station before hitting the blue room club.

Plus some of the questions / answers / clues just don't make sense to me.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Angry Fork said:
rofl the comments are taking it so seriously. You can obviously tell he's trolling hardcore, funny though. I lol'd @ "la noyer"
I know the comments are hilarious.

Atruvius

Physics can be a bit wonky sometimes. I t-boned a tram and it got a little air for a few meters and fell on its side. Then it just turned up and stayed on the road blocking the way. Looked hilarious.

Interstellar

Neo Member
aaachampions said:
For the PS3 controls, is the shoot button assigned to R1 or R2? If it's assigned to R2, can it be changed to R1?

Assigned to R2 and cannot be changed.

That's one of my biggest complaints in the game, no customizable controls. R2 to shoot and R1 to go into cover? R2 to accelerate and handbrake turn on R1? Does Rockstar/Team Bondi know that face buttons exist? At least let players customize the controls.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Interstellar said:

That's one of my biggest complaints in the game, no customizable controls. R2 to shoot and R1 to go into cover? R2 to accelerate and handbrake turn on R1? Does Rockstar/Team Bondi know that face buttons exist? At least let players customize the controls.

I had the biggest problem doing the chase and shoot perp side-quest because I had R2 already pressed in from running. Having run and shoot on the same button is confusing.

Aside from that I can see this becoming a cult classic. I've only played for about an hour or two but there's just so much that's unique and good (not the driving) that it really stands out. Hopefully Rockstar/Team Bondi can keep this afloat with DLC.

played about a hour. (ps3)

Loving it so far but I wish I could turn down the stick sensitivity.

The slightest touch on the left stick and my car turns 90 degrees.

Appollowexx said:

Actually it would probably be easier port to the 360 and still maintain decent parity between platforms if they lead on the PS3 rather than leading on the 360 and having the PS3 version ending up being complete shit which does happen.

Interstellar said:

The decision to shoot with R2 is completely retarded, R1 should always be shoot, L1 aim, circle for cover and roll, X to jump/climb, and use analog controls for L3 walk/run, the whole R2 run thing is just weird, like we're controlling a car instead of a human being.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Arnie said:
I bought the PAL 360 version and the disks are stacked. Don't know why the difference in region but it's definitely something to consider if you don't have the space on your hard drive for a 3 disk install.

Weird that they would use the disk stack in PAL regions but not in North America.

TheExodu5

Banned
One thing that really bothers me about the cases in this game: motive never seems to be a part of it. We collect evidence, but motive is almost never brought into play. This is especially the case with the Murder desk.

Top Bottom