• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Hey guys I need help!

I'm on my second Arson case and I was wondering if I overlooked something or if I just stumbled upon a bug.

I just started the case and I'm at
the house that burned down, the one with the corpses of the family members all kneeling in the front of the house. Now, I interviewed the neighbor on the left, I checked the A, B and C tagged section. I looked everywhere but the investigation music keeps playing. And when I leave the area it saves and the music stops and I have nowhere to go. My partner tells me to go check the neighbors but when I go to the other houses, the interrogation music stops and there's no one.

What's going on?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
SketchTheArtist said:
Hey guys I need help!

I'm on my second Arson case and I was wondering if I overlooked something or if I just stumbled upon a bug.

I just started the case and I'm at
the house that burned down, the one with the corpses of the family members all kneeling in the front of the house. Now, I interviewed the neighbor on the left, I checked the A, B and C tagged section. I looked everywhere but the investigation music keeps playing. And when I leave the area it saves and the music stops and I have nowhere to go. My partner tells me to go check the neighbors but when I go to the other houses, the interrogation music stops and there's no one.

What's going on?
Cigarettes near the neighbor

The more I play this, the more I think they could improve it in a sequel.

More open-ended cases, with multiple routes to solving them and multiple outcomes. A system where you cross-reference witness testimonies and evidence and look for inconsistencies and the like would be awesome, although I have no idea if it would be realistic.

Still really enjoying this though, part the way through the homicide desk and I already want to go back and replay cases, the case notes at the end telling you stuff you could have done better or missed is a particularly good incentive.

Gary Whitta said:
I love how my boss reams me out for fucking up a case and then tells me what a great job I did on it in the first cut scene of the very next case.
Seems like this is the most consistent complaint about the story.

daviyoung

Banned
Crewnh said:
Seems like this is the most consistent complaint about the story.

Yeh. I was quite looking forward to doing street crimes like he threatened, but then it was straight back into another case.

Aspiring

Arnie said:
I bought the PAL 360 version and the disks are stacked. Don't know why the difference in region but it's definitely something to consider if you don't have the space on your hard drive for a 3 disk install. Fortunately I installed the disks so little scratches won't affect anything, but still something that might cause problems for others. Apart from that I haven't noticed any graphical shortcomings with the 360 version, although once or twice the frame rate has hiccuped for a second, but nothing more.

Loving this game, making it very hard to do my revision.

Nah the game is not stacked in PAL, at least in australia:

33xyhch.jpg

Still not as good the the US spindle. But at least this game the disc does not get scratched.

Aspiring said:
Nah the game is not stacked in PAL, at least in australia:

33xyhch.jpg

Still not as good the the US spindle. But at least this game the disc does not get scratched.

FFS, they really dropped the ball with the European (UK?) release, with stackable discs. Why do that in one region and one region only?

Peff

CrazyDude said:
Can someone give me a non spoiler list of why homicide and on it disappointing?

The Homicide desk has an incredibly, ridiculously obvious twist that, much like Heavy Rain, is protected by characters acting moronically and gaps in logic (actual spoiler
whatever happened with Brian Krause? They conveniently find a bloodied knife which wasn't even the murder weapon IIRC and suddenly he's the main suspect, nevermind the brown coupe or the rest of the case
) and not only that, it brings the gameplay down too by making five cases in a row extremely similar to each other. It doesn't help that the twist is so obvious it'll affect your perception of events during interrogations too.

tiff

Banned
So does the game actually get worse and Homicide or does the stench of Homicide just linger for the rest of the game?

ZeroRay

So far for me it's Vice = Traffic > Homicide > Patrol

Edit: Oh and dick move on Rockstar for holding out on some cases for DLC.

Irish

Net_Wrecker said:
This is what I thought at well. DOUBT in the game pretty much means "Cole has a feeling the person is lying, so now he's going to become Bad Cop to get it out of them." It's weird the first time, but after he does it multiple times, that should show the player something.

Truth = Nice Cole
Doubt = Douche Cole without solid evidence
Lie = Slappin' bitches wit dat hard evidence.

See, I would have been fine with this if it was always this way, but it's not. Cole is so wildy inconsistent with his tone that I can never really tell what direction he is going to take a certain line of question, even in the same damn conversation. Take Mrs. Black for example, sometimes when you 'Doubt' her, Cole will calmly tell her that he knows she is not telling the whole truth, while another question will see Cole call her a murdering slut. It's crazy.

jett

D-Member
Bought this game for PS3, I'm at the tutorial at the moment. Is it me or do some textures fail to load? I already spotted two textures that looked way too low-res compared to the rest around them, like the carpet in the first fist fight. Dat bug. :|

Facial animation is nice, but now that I'm looking at it without video compression from the interwebs I can really tell that it's just FMV projected unto these character models. Looks super blurry up-close. Definitely not something to be used for most games. I imagine GTA5 will use this tech, be ready for all kinds of hollywood stars in that game. :p

Back to the game! It's pretty neat so far.

JambiBum

So I know everyone has been saying that you can't skip cutscenes, but you actually can. You just have to hit the A or X button. There are only a few major scenes that you can't skip, like the ones right at the beginning of a case. But the ones where you are first walking into a place, or talking to someone without having to interrogate them, will let you skip them. It will even let you skip the dialogue that your partner will have with you when you make him drive.

Irish

JambiBum said:
So I know everyone has been saying that you can't skip cutscenes, but you actually can. You just have to hit the A or X button. There are only a few major scenes that you can't skip, like the ones right at the beginning of a case.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure those are the ones that everyone is complaining about.

Rengoku

tiff said:
So does the game actually get worse and Homicide or does the stench of Homicide just linger for the rest of the game?

I would like someone to weigh in on this too, I've done 4 homicide cases so far, and its just getting really annoying and repetitive. And the times when the prompt comes up for you to decide whether to charge the suspect or not, its a reminder how blatantly linear this game is, as if I have a fucking choice!

Untracked

Rengoku said:
I would like someone to weigh in on this too, I've done 4 homicide cases so far, and its just getting really annoying and repetitive. And the times when the prompt comes up for you to decide whether to charge the suspect or not, its a reminder how blatantly linear this game is, as if I have a fucking choice!
I didn't mind Homicide, but I found Vice to be a bit dull. It's got a lot more interesting towards the end though.
I've done 20/21 cases and don't want it to end. So I'm saving the last case for tomorrow.
Edit: I've got that driving music stuck in my head!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm probably missing something key here, but I've been puzzled by why the victims in the Black Caesar case
had the keys to two different distributors' stashes in their apartment. Were they working for them too or just buying?

Aspiring

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
FFS, they really dropped the ball with the European (UK?) release, with stackable discs. Why do that in one region and one region only?

Yeah its fucking stupid. Why screw over "some" of your fanbase? I dont get it. I actually asked in the shop because if this was stacked, i was going the PS3 version. It is the reason why i didnt buy Blue Dragon. Saw it on sale for $15 had a look at the discs and scratched. I said no thanks. Its the most cheapest pathetic way to do something.

At least in Australia with L.A Noire each disc gets its own spindle. Saves the discs from getting scratched, and keeps people happy.

StuBurns

Banned
Hey GAF, played a few hours of the game so far, I have some mixed opinions, but I'll reserve them until I'm finished or bored.

I was wondering about the DLC as it's been a while and I might have missed some news. I'm in the UK and have the Game version of the PS3 game. So I have The Naked City. I was wondering when if ever the UK PS3 game will get the exclusive case in the US version? Also when will the slip of the tongue be available to buy on PSN?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is it possible to ever not kill someone in the random side missions? The game always says to "subdue" the suspects, and I've tried warning shots and hand/foot shots and the guys always seem to end up dead.

Even the Crazy Guy sidequest
ended with the guy jumping off the roof to his death

ZeroRay said:
So far for me it's Vice = Traffic > Homicide > Patrol

Edit: Oh and dick move on Rockstar for holding out on some cases for DLC.
I don't have a problem with them holding stuff back. The game had to come out sometime, and it's not like I feel short-changed; the game is huge and I feel like I am more than getting my money's worth with what's here. Plus it means DLC can probably come out sooner since they already have it mostly developed.

ZeroRay

Gary Whitta said:
I don't have a problem with them holding stuff back. The game had to come out sometime, and it's not like I feel short-changed; the game is huge and I feel like I am more than getting my money's worth with what's here. Plus it means DLC can probably come out sooner since they already have it mostly developed.

Should of clarified. I meant the retail exclusive cases. I believe there are 3 of them, don't know if they would of been finished before going gold, but I feel miffed that they separated them for retailers.

Zomba13

I've just finished the Golden Butterfly case and got told off by the boss man for it.

So far I like it but there are plenty of things that can be improved.

I love the facial animation and acting, truly great stuff.

The driving is weird. Maybe I'm not used to it yet.
I wish the options for interrogation were clearer, or you could choose the tone. It's a bit annoying when you use doubt on a child/young person and Cole goes off on one shouting at them.
The shooting parts are fine and it's fun going to street crimes called in over the radio.
Had my first glitch, the partner appeared in the car in the middle of the house I was in when I inspected a broken window, that was hilarious.

I really like this game though and think a sequel that fixes the problems and maybe expands on some things (like investigating/interrogating) would be awesome.

ZeroRay said:
Should of clarified. I meant the retail exclusive cases. I believe there are 3 of them, don't know if they would of been finished before going gold, but I feel miffed that they separated them for retailers.
I feel the same. It reeeeally sucks. I hate all retail specific DLC. I'm fine with DLC being held back for collectiors editions or something but when you can't get all the DLC without preordering/buying the game a billion times from different stores/sites it pisses me off.
I'm also pissed because I didn't get a preorder code from my online retailer (Zavvi). It wasn't in the invoice email, wasn't in the package the game came in, wasn't in a seperate email. Not too pissed off though as it wasn't a case, just a suit and gun skin.

Aspiring

Just a question about one case on the homicide desk. When i completed
The Redlipstick Murder i eventually ended up finding the killer and got the achievement for correctly branching all leads and question together or something. Now, i'm curious, it never mentioned why the guy killed her or anything of the sort. All i got was a cutscene where he was in jail and simply said something like "i aint sayin nothing". Is it going to delve deeper into this with the story or was i expecting too much to find out why he did it?

Ugh, I need to stop accidentally highlighting spoilered text. :(
Just how much did I ruin for myself when I read that
everyone is innocent and a serial killer is behind all the murders
?

Stumpokapow said:
Is it possible to ever not kill someone in the random side missions? The game always says to "subdue" the suspects, and I've tried warning shots and hand/foot shots and the guys always seem to end up dead.

There might be some where the game lets you tackle the suspect, but otherwise, nope. :( At first I thought that whenever they showed the body being taken away scene after, I had finished the side mission incorrectly... I kind of wish you could incapacitate people by shooting their foot/legs/weapon hand.

eso76

wait so all the neat facial animation is fmv played on top of real time graphics ? no wonder the game is 20+ GB then

Makoto

eso76 said:
wait so all the neat facial animation is fmv played on top of real time graphics ? no wonder the game is 20+ GB then
In some cases, the transition is really evident. The face will literally fade from the neutral position into the recorded motion.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You know what could be cool? This kind of game, but blend it with an X-Files twist, so it would be more about paranormal phenomenons or some such.

Maybe that is what X-Com will be like?:p

Ether_Snake said:
You know what could be cool? This kind of game, but blend it with an X-Files twist, so it would be more about paranormal phenomenons or some such.

Fringe the game

watershed

Banned
Necromanti said:
There might be some where the game lets you tackle the suspect, but otherwise, nope. :( At first I thought that whenever they showed the body being taken away scene after, I had finished the side mission incorrectly... I kind of wish you could incapacitate people by shooting their foot/legs/weapon hand.

I thought this was odd too. Many times I tried to shoot the perp in the leg only to kill him. It feels really out of place to be killing fools left and right in the side missions while trying to investigate and properly arrest people in the actual cases. Bit of a disconnect.

pakkit

Banned
artwalknoon said:
I thought this was odd too. Many times I tried to shoot the perp in the leg only to kill him. It feels really out of place to be killing fools left and right in the side missions while trying to investigate and properly arrest people in the actual cases. Bit of a disconnect.
Shooting to disable makes a lot more sense, but it isn't supported by the game. I agree that it creates a disconnect.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Ether_Snake said:

One of the first pages in this thread someone suggested that their "Undead nightmare" DLC should be an X-Files desk set of missions. Everyone loved that idea.

Gary Whitta said:
Just started vice desk; I already like this more than homicide. Cooler clothes, cooler car, cooler partner, cooler neighborhood!

Well, it IS Hollywood. :p

The L.A. Noire concept should be turned into a Who Framed Roger Rabbit game, IMO.

tiff

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Is that the one where
the guys beating the guy with a baseball bat screaming about mindcontrol rays or whatever?

I swear, the main story missions establish a pretty cool mood, and then I do a side quest and it feels like I'm playing a PS2 Grand Theft Auto.

zychi

Banned
Just 100% the game took me 23 hours total.

About the ending:
typical rockstar with the death of the main protagonist, i saw the military twist coming the first time they mentioned cole was in the war. there was no other reason to bring it up.

also great troll by rockstar for making us play as "jack" again just like rdr
i doubt i buy any of the dlc because of this.

artwalknoon said:
What was funny for me was that before wrapping up my main case, I had finished several street missions where Cole mercilessly shot several people to death. I then proceeded to finish my main case where, naturally, I ended up chasing and shooting someone. Cole almost seems shocked after killing the suspect (?), saying that "You never get used to it." He seemed to have no problem a dozen times before that, though!

This game...

First vice case:
What the fuck is the deal with having to move the boxes around? No explanation at all, this is fucking frustrating as hell..To think I was actually starting to think the game was coming around with an interesting case that wasn't some poorly mapped homicide drivel

/rant

PS: I will say so far Vice has been pretty cool. Hollywood is awesome.

Havok

Just finished the game. Definitely not feeling the sort of background story told in the flashbacks, it doesn't jive at all with some of the events in the game. While I think the investigation mechanic is novel and really great for a large portion of the game, it does present a pretty serious disconnect between what the player is thinking and what Phelps does (ex: every single piece of Doubt dialogue being an explicit threat of violence or imprisonment, rather than actual coercion), and the responses to every single Lie event being "OH YEAH WELL PROVE IT" immediately followed by "oh, right, yeah, i did it".

I have a lot of issues with the game from the midgame on, mostly character's actions not matching up to their personalities (which a lot of people have taken issue with as well) and general story beats that don't make any sense or that I don't agree with (late-to-end game spoiler:
I fully disliked that everything led up to conspiracy bullshit dealing with Cole's shitty backstory and the mostly forgetful characters linking the two, as well as the whole affair being wildly out of character, and a host of other issues
) Cutting out the two desks probably hurt the story a lot. But if they decide to release the Burglary content and other cut desk, I hope it's actually burglary and whatever instead of murder wrapped inside a vague theme of the desk. Vice? Murder and drugs. Arson? Fire murder. Traffic? Hey, (attempted) murder. With a car or something. Homicide, funnily enough, had some of the least interesting murders. Kind of disappointing, that (along with the shitty Homicide conclusion).

All in all, opening two and a half desks: pretty great, mid-Homicide to mid-Vice: still novel and interesting, from mid-Vice onwards: kind of bad. I don't regret my purchase, and I certainly hope there's a sequel to fix some of these issues, although I think I would rather get a proper GTA game where you play a semi-dirty cop that integrates this facial stuff and interrogation/crime scene sequences than a true sequel.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
This game...

First vice case:
What the fuck is the deal with having to move the boxes around? No explanation at all, this is fucking frustrating as hell..To think I was actually starting to think the game was coming around with an interesting case that wasn't some poorly mapped homicide drivel

/rant

Well, if you walk by the door, Cole says something like, "Gee, gotta move these boxes".

firehawk12 said:
Well, if you walk by the door, Cole says something like, "Gee, gotta move these boxes".

Yes, I know, but I just don't know what I'm supposed to working towards. What am I trying to get at?

Mind you I'm just confuse which is making me frustrated. This game is so confusing like that because I still don't have a solid idea on how I feel about it.

Top Bottom