• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Linkified

zychi said:
Just 100% the game took me 23 hours total.

About the ending:
typical rockstar with the death of the main protagonist, i saw the military twist coming the first time they mentioned cole was in the war. there was no other reason to bring it up.

also great troll by rockstar for making us play as "jack" again just like rdr
i doubt i buy any of the dlc because of this.

Honestly if there is DLC it will just be fleshing out the story, I may be the only person on these forums who love homicide cases.

Overall though Team Bondi missed a trick by having to work a desk at a time when you could have to do a traffic -> bulgary -> homicide -> vice and have the 4 cases totally seperate but an over-arching plot so I don't have to deal with Vice partner for 4 freaking cases

I'm enjoying this game quite a lot but I just finished the Homicide cases....

Okay, i'm confused. Nothing seems to add up. The suspects who were claimed to be guilty but were apparently innocent, why would they have murder weapons and various other incriminating evidence just lying on their floor? assuming they didn't do it and the stuff was planted wouldn't they at least move it? Why do the vast majority make a run for it as if they've been rumbled?

I was initially thinking that they were under some kind of extortion from the werewolf or whatever his name was, they committed the murders against their will or something but clearly I was way off. Instead they were all innocent? the main villain of this section is dashing around planting evidence without being seen? He must be the Riddler or something!
Did the guy even have a motive in the end bar just being a murderer?
I just feel stupid after all of this, like the actual plot sailed straight over my head. Somebody help me out here.

Havok

Nocturnowl said:

Okay, i'm confused. Nothing seems to add up. The suspects who were claimed to be guilty but were apparently innocent, why would they have murder weapons and various other incriminating evidence just lying on their floor? assuming they didn't do it and the stuff was planted wouldn't they at least move it? Why do the vast majority make a run for it as if they've been rumbled?

I was initially thinking that they were under some kind of extortion from the werewolf or whatever his name was, they committed the murders against their will or something but clearly I was way off. Instead they were all innocent? the main villain of this section is dashing around planting evidence without being seen? He must be the Riddler or something!
I just feel stupid after all of this, like the actual plot sailed straight over my head. Somebody help me out here.
You might as well stop looking for explanations, there isn't anything satisfying to link them. It's one of my biggest gripes about that desk, as well as selected cases from others.

Nocturnowl said:

The killer's motive was that he was insane. He finds vulnerable drunk women and kills them, then frame their significant others. The suspects ran because it's a videogame and the player needs some action. Don't think to much about it, it was just really poor writing.

_Xenon_

Banned
Just finished the game with a 15 hour non-stop session. The story is great (and the only thing keeps me up) but :

1. Lack of "reload last checkpoint" option is a pain in the ass. If you wanna go for 100% but answer a wrong question or hit a dude by accident? quit -> wait for loading -> resume -> wait for loading

2. Some dialogs / questions / answers don't make sense at all. It just feels like everything is scripted and you have to follow the script step by step.

3. Game breaking technical issues. I play a PS3 version on slim PS3 so I probably don't have the overheat problem but my game crashed once and messed up the in-game event twice.

4. Doesn't have much replay value. Not being able to skip most of the cutscenes makes me not feel like to go for 100% clue & answer.

In short: 7/10. Should have rented it :(

Well then I think I see where the homicide backlash is coming from then.
I'd expect the suspects to kick up more of a fuss from being incorrectly charged with killing their own wives, they seem to be rather indifferent to it as opposed to yelling how they didn't do it and all that.

kinberg

Neo Member
Oh my, what a game. Just finished it.

Have a problem though, as you all know there are 13 newspapers to be found whilst playing through all of the cases. When I count the number of newspapers I have found when looking at individual cases the number adds up and I've read all of the papers, but when I in game press the start menu and bring up statistics it says I've only read 12/13...
This really bothers me, I was really gonna try to 100% this game but this might ruin that.

Any one else with the same problem? Is there any way for me to find out which newspaper I missed without having to play through all of the game again?

bitoriginal

Game's definitely a slow burner. I actually really struggled with it at the start, It's only just started to get really interesting with the homicide cases. I definitely recommend people labour on if they're struggling to engage with the beginning.

Regarding the Homicide conclusion:

My take is that all those incorrectly charged were being framed by the lone killer, whom, if you remember was a temp. bartender. Think about it, a huge link between each case was alcohol, and the victim last seen at a bar. My guess is this guy somehow worked at each bar and pinpointed each victim, framing each person as he saw fit. That's the only explanation I can come up with.

Why does pretty much every street crime end with you killing everybody? I guess they want to let you use your gun since it's not used that much on the cases. It gets kind of stale after a while.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
kinberg said:
Oh my, what a game. Just finished it.

Have a problem though, as you all know there are 13 newspapers to be found whilst playing through all of the cases. When I count the number of newspapers I have found when looking at individual cases the number adds up and I've read all of the papers, but when I in game press the start menu and bring up statistics it says I've only read 12/13...
This really bothers me, I was really gonna try to 100% this game but this might ruin that.

Any one else with the same problem? Is there any way for me to find out which newspaper I missed without having to play through all of the game again?
Have you tried the Social Club? There's a section for the newspapers under Checklist that list all the headlines you've collected. It might help you track down that final one.

lamoire3.gif

I have a long way to go compared to most of you fellas. Still in Traffic. I'm savouring the game, like a fine wine.

i'm sure someone will complain about no accent over the E. I don't care

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
second homicide case:
what the fuck at telling the little girl her mother is dead, her crying for 2 seconds, and then answering questions

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Y2Kev said:
second homicide case:
what the fuck at telling the little girl her mother is dead, her crying for 2 seconds, and then answering questions

Hahaha, that was so blatantly bad.
A lot of the reactions to just hearing about a murder in the game feel amazingly forced.

Penguin

Was I the only one
Turned off by like the sudden plot twist in Vice with Cole having a German mistress, I mean we don't even meet his family at this point, and he seemed so by the books.

Y2Kev said:
second homicide case:

look: you're a bi-polar detective working for an apparently forensic-less l.a.p.d. try thinking of it all more as 'psycho noire', where everything & everyone exist only for your immediate benefit :) ...

& if the ending reveals
that this has all been some 'dying on the battlefield' hallucination, i'm not gonna be surprised by that, either :) ...

Havok

Penguin said:
Was I the only one
Turned off by like the sudden plot twist in Vice with Cole having a German mistress, I mean we don't even meet his family at this point, and he seemed so by the books.
That's the tipping point where it all goes downhill pretty quickly.

Y2Kev

Maybe Phelps is just hard of hearing. So he raises his voice a lot.

So, what do you do on the weekends...

"I...ski..." *darting eyes*

YOU WANT TO TELL ME THE TRUTH YOU SCUMSUCKING PIECE OF SHIT?

"Wha-wha-what?"

I'm just trying to help you! Tell me what you can, Jessica.

"Well, I like to go shoe shopping."

YOU LOWLIFE [racist term]! YOU'RE GOING TO GET THE GAS CHAMBERS WITH THE JEWS AND JAPS YOU SON OF A BITCH

"....I...I...."

Thank you, you were very brave.

B-Dex

Y2Kev said:

"Wha-wha-what?"

YOU LOWLIFE [racist term]! YOU'RE GOING TO GET THE GAS CHAMBERS WITH THE JEWS AND JAPS YOU SON OF A BITCH

"....I...I...."

Exactly!

alterno69

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Regarding the Homicide conclusion:

My take is that all those incorrectly charged were being framed by the lone killer, whom, if you remember was a temp. bartender. Think about it, a huge link between each case was alcohol, and the victim last seen at a bar. My guess is this guy somehow worked at each bar and pinpointed each victim, framing each person as he saw fit. That's the only explanation I can come up with.
This is my take too, not too far fetched either, quite logical if you think about it.

Regarding one of the early Vice cases, "The Set Up"...

I got one star, Candy died in the bathroom stall, and the captain says I'm back to street crimes. But I'm really confused. Could I have prevented her death? Why did I go right along to the next case, like nothing happened, if he yelled at me and said to get my old uniform and go back to doing street crimes?

KaYotiX

Banned
darkwing said:
its easier to accept the game if you think Phelps is bipolar

lmao, so true. He yells way too much when you ask just simple questions. Still enjoying the game though. If they ever do a sequel id love to see more variations on questions and alot more branching paths.

Maybe pull a Bioware "answer/question" wheel

Y2Kev

Eh, forget the wheel. We need full blown Torment style dialog options. The point of the game is often to determine intent; I need to know exactly what I'm asking and where it will go.

True/Doubt/Lie is entirely too vague for what they're doing. Doubt often means, "Come on!" but it also often results in Phelps flying off the handle.

edit: I'm annoying myself, I feel like I am saying the same thing over and over. So I guess I have something in common with the game, lulululu

Also, if anyone gives a shit, Shuhei Yoshida has a special thanks in the credits.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Finished Homicide & this game went from 'great' to 'holy shit amazing!'. The Quarter Moon Murders was a really great case.

They could end the game with Phelps revealing he's an extra terrestrial and it wouldn't ruin the immense amount of fun I've had up to this point.

Clunker

I don't know if this happened to everyone, but when I was playing the Silk Stocking case, my Phelps flew off the handle a bit during a Doubt press on the boarding house owner, and for the rest of the case Rusty made occasional snarky comments about how overzealously Phelps pushed on that line of questioning. Spoilered, only because I found it hilarious:

Phelps went a little crazy with an "old hag" comment, and when they got back to the car Rusty was all "Man, that 'old hag' line was crazy, I thought I was out of line sometimes for no good reason." Then later in the case, when questioning the neighbors around the husband's apartment, Phelps asks a question to an older woman, and after they're done Rusty said, "I thought for sure you were going to call her an old hag. Way to exercise some self-restraint."

Rusty has grown on me tremendously. I thought he was a lazy mysogynist asshole at first. He still kind of is a lazy mysogynist asshole, but he's at least entertaining. He's like that dirty, un-PC, drunk uncle at your holiday party -- Archie Bunker with a badge and a gun.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Clunker said:
I don't know if this happened to everyone, but when I was playing the Silk Stocking case, my Phelps flew off the handle a bit during a Doubt press on the boarding house owner, and for the rest of the case Rusty made occasional snarky comments about how overzealously Phelps pushed on that line of questioning. Spoilered, only because I found it hilarious:

Phelps went a little crazy with an "old hag" comment, and when they got back to the car Rusty was all "Man, that 'old hag' line was crazy, I thought I was out of line sometimes for no good reason." Then later in the case, when questioning the neighbors around the husband's apartment, Phelps asks a question to an older woman, and after they're done Rusty said, "I thought for sure you were going to call her an old hag. Way to exercise some self-restraint."

Rusty has grown on me tremendously. I thought he was a lazy mysogynist asshole at first. He still kind of is a lazy mysogynist asshole, but he's at least entertaining. He's like that dirty, un-PC, drunk uncle at your holiday party -- Archie Bunker with a badge and a gun.

The hilarious part about it is that is the correct thing to say in that interrogation.

Animator

Y2Kev said:

"Wha-wha-what?"

"....I...I...."

I am only 2 traffic cases in and this has been bugging me so much. It is like there is no middle ground with Phelps.

Mik2121

I bought this game yesterday and because the internet died on me, I pretty much kept playing this game nonstop and I have finished (the main cases, anyway) already.

I absolutely loved the experience except for a few boring cases and the whole part with
Jack where I just skipped the trips because I simply didn't want to play as him but as Cole (the fuck.. same bullshit as with RDR)

Anyway, it might be me but I had a bit of a problem following all the cases and who was who, who did what, etc... I had it correct many times, but sometimes I would be like "wait, who the hell was this guy and how was he connected to this case?..." which ended up in a few "doubt" just in case, even if I might or might not have had the proof to back up a "lie". But overall I went on a 3 stars ratio with a few 4 stars (no 5 stars :() and two 1 star cases..

Oh, regarding the launch exclusives (on PS3) "The Naked City" and the badge pursuit challenge, I guess they still cannot be downloaded? I live in Japan so I can't even connect to PSN, but I wonder if we really need to connect to the store or it can be downloaded in-game..

BTW, now that I finished the main cases, I guess I need to play one of the "Streets of L.A (Free Roam)" to do all the side cases and the cars stuff, right?. Though I will probably not do the cars thing. Most of the cars look so alike that I just can't remember which one I already used and which one not.. (unless, of course, it's a very unique model)

Tawpgun

Just beat the game.

My god. I don't know why people were saying this game falls apart after Homicide.

If the entire game was like the last couple of cases it would be my GOTY. Fantastic End Sequence, but somewhat ruined by a shitty end cutscene.

Now where's that Spoiler thread...

Y2Kev

Clunker said:

I just did this. Completely ridiculous. And really, "lie" isn't the proper way to accuse someone of not knowing everything sometimes.

Mik2121

Oh, a couple other things too..

Before buying this game I checked out some gameplay videos and I remember quite well that there was pretty much nobody on the streets and it overall seemed kind of dull. But once I got the game and started moving around, every street I see has quite a lot of people on it (it's no Liberty City, but still it has enough people) and it just seemed more... "alive" than the videos I watched. Now, I wonder if the videos I watched were from the 360 version, which might or might not have less people walking on the streets?...

I don't know, of course. Just wondering...

Irish

Mik2121 said:
I absolutely loved the experience except for a few boring cases and the whole part with
Jack where I just skipped the trips because I simply didn't want to play as him but as Cole (the fuck.. same bullshit as with RDR)

I think I actually liked him better.

A27 Tawpgun said:
My god. I don't know why people were saying this game falls apart after Homicide.

Only for some, such as myself. For others, the game just seems to get better from there. (Well, I think it falls apart as soon as the first homicide case is over.)

Mik2121

Irish said:
I think I actually liked him better.

Only for some, such as myself. For others, the game just seems to get better from there. (Well, I think it falls apart as soon as the first homicide case is over.)
Oh of course.
I liked him better too, but I wanted to play as just one character, I don't like playing as multiple characters

But as some have said, Phelps if so goddamn crazy. At first I thought he was a really nice and peaceful guy, but he's just fucking crazy...

alterno69

Banned
Mik2121 said:
Oh of course.
I liked him better too, but I wanted to play as just one character, I don't like playing as multiple characters

But as some have said, Phelps if so goddamn crazy. At first I thought he was a really nice and peaceful guy, but he's just fucking crazy...
I haven't beat the game but from the beginning the theme is how war veterans are fucked up, at least in the newspapers.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Y2Kev said:
Also, if anyone gives a shit, Shuhei Yoshida has a special thanks in the credits.

Didn't he support the development when Phil Harrison hated it?

Could be lying, I can't remember well. Anyway, I do give a shit for these kind of things.

Mik2121

alterno69 said:
I haven't beat the game but from the beginning the theme is how war veterans are fucked up, at least in the newspapers.
Well yeah, but he seemed different, kinda? You know, with all about being so humble when he got promoted and all that stuff.

But some stuff just came out of absolutely nowhere, like the whole deal with the German girl or his sudden bursts of anger when asking something to someone... lol.

Either way, I'm now playing Free Roam mode and I definitely love the city. But I have no clue about where most of the landmark locations might be. I got 19/30 cleared though.. so I guess I will randomly drive around Wilshire and south of Hollywood where I got none showing up, and if I can't find anything I guess I'll hit up a guide (I don't care about using a guide for stuff like this, honestly :p)

Grisby

Mik2121 said:
Oh, a couple other things too..

Before buying this game I checked out some gameplay videos and I remember quite well that there was pretty much nobody on the streets and it overall seemed kind of dull. But once I got the game and started moving around, every street I see has quite a lot of people on it (it's no Liberty City, but still it has enough people) and it just seemed more... "alive" than the videos I watched. Now, I wonder if the videos I watched were from the 360 version, which might or might not have less people walking on the streets?...

I don't know, of course. Just wondering...

Theres a ton of guys on the 360. I've been running them over for a bit, :D

Only to have them live again!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the second traffic case. I'm REALLY digging this.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Just beat the game.

If the entire game was like the last couple of cases it would be my GOTY. Fantastic End Sequence, but somewhat ruined by a shitty end cutscene.

Now where's that Spoiler thread...
For me the Homicide cases were mainly uninspiring and shallow. Each case was the same circumstances other than the quarter moon case which I liked a lot. However the outcome was a total disappointment an fmade me feel worse.

I'm in Vice now so we'll see how it continues.

alterno69

Banned
Any idea how long are the bonus cases? PS3 here so i guess i'll find out on tuesday, i hope they're as long as the homicide cases cause i know i'm close to beating the game but i want moooore.

Phenomic

Is it questionable to anyone else that. Marking this for a potential late game case spoiler.

One of the people in the Arson cases leaves AN ORIGAMI PAPER CRANE as evidence. That just feels like a such a cheap ploy to me and it's like they either loved Heavy Rain or just ran out of ideas and decided to copy that.I guess normally this wouldn't be a problem for me, but since the games seem so similar it's almost like they should have really strove to avoid anything related at all.

Vexidus

I've been playing the crap out of this game, and am still loving it to pieces. I'm on the 4th homicide case and am soaking up everything at a relaxed pace. I'm 10-12 hours into the game, and do have a few minor nitpicks.

-I wish it put you into a free roam between cases, instead of throwing you into the next one. You should be able to "activate" the next case by going to the police station. Otherwise, every time you want to mess around and explore, find cars, do side missions, etc., you have to take the penalties for damage caused and things, at the end of the current case.

-As others have said, almost every case ends abruptly and in an unsatisfying way. This is a serious shortcoming, as everything leading up to the climax is great, and then you get blue balled. I just finished a case where I uncovered a bunch of incriminating evidence near the end of a homicide case, and then went to question the guy. None of the evidence came into play, and the case was over in two simple questions, with no lies involved. Dude confessed right away, and the cutscene played to end the case. All stick and no carrot.

-Traffic and Homicide spoilers:
The things that occur and clues you find in the cases so far are way too similar. How many matchbook clues can there possibly be? How many size whatever boots? How many times can you look for clues at a bar? I feel like more creativity could have gone a long way here, to keep things fresh. I love it when things are different, like finding glasses, or a dry cleaning tag. Anything that brings you to new kinds of places to seek out answers.

I still consider this game among my top 3 this year, without a doubt. I continue to enjoy the hell out of it, in spite of a few disappointing drawbacks.

Mik2121

Phenomic said:
Is it questionable to anyone else that. Marking this for a potential late game case spoiler.

One of the people in the Arson cases leaves AN ORIGAMI PAPER CRANE as evidence. That just feels like a such a cheap ploy to me and it's like they either loved Heavy Rain or just ran out of ideas and decided to copy that.I guess normally this wouldn't be a problem for me, but since the games seem so similar it's almost like they should have really strove to avoid anything related at all.
Yeah. That part wasn't quite screaming originality...

Oh and one other thing that was awkward and happens in every single game, was the Japanese. Not the guy (who didn't look quite Japanese), but their language. It's like they took the guy with the worst accent to do their voices. I can understand Phelps talking with a bad accent, but the Japanese guys also talked with an accent like they had learned to speak it just a few days earlier.

Top Bottom