• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Jhoan

I played a ton of it yesterday and managed to finish and make it to Vice Ad.
I have to say, the amount of naked women throughout all the Homicide cases seemed kind of forced, so that was slightly annoying. The final goose chase through the city's landmarks was pretty cool, although the ending was a bit of a let down. Honestly, I felt like the BD case dragged on a little too long so I was dying for the Homicide missions to be over, even though Rusty was a good partner and all if a bit too much of a brute like Archie Goodwin (from the Rex Stout books). Killing those bums in the second to last case was unnecessary but it's the L.A.P.D. so what can people do about it? I'm at the first Vice Ad case now; it's pretty refreshing from the Homicide desk. Also, in mission with Tierney and the Bowling alley, I chose to arrest the Writer instead of Tierney so I think I made the right decision; I noticed I missed one piece of evidence.

I also got my first 5 stars in the last Homicide mission. I'm a horrible detective unfortunately, so I've gotten 3 stars, 1 star on one of the cases, missed several pieces of evidence because I'm playing without the rumble clues. I still get doubt and lie mixed up so Meus Renaissance has been sending me hints on how to spot the differences.

Grisby

Nice surprise in the tail end of the game. Caught me off guard.

I'd love to see a time travel cross-over game involving Cole and Max Payne.

I really like the game and the last case I solved, was the one with the shrunken head. But what I don't like thus far is the railway-like play style and that dozens of extra cases that pop up, when you drive through the city to a witness or something.

It's really weird.

StuBurns

Banned
StuBurns said:
I was wondering about the DLC as it's been a while and I might have missed some news. I'm in the UK and have the Game version of the PS3 game. So I have The Naked City. I was wondering when if ever the UK PS3 game will get the exclusive case in the US version? Also when will the slip of the tongue be available to buy on PSN?
Anyone?

I have an addition too, the Game version comes with pretend film negatives, presumably to help you find the badges, does that mean when the Naked City comes to PSN/XBL it will be without the badge mission?

zlatko

Banned
Just rented this game for PS3. Before I start did a patch come out to remedy the YLOD issues or should I be monitoring my console heat during play to take periodical breaks?

vocab

StuBurns said:
Anyone?

I have an addition too, the Game version comes with pretend film negatives, presumably to help you find the badges, does that mean when the Naked City comes to PSN/XBL it will be without the badge mission?

I got two codes. One for naked city, and one for the badge pursuit challenge. It came with the rock star evidence thing with the film reel.

Just beat it, really enjoyed it took about 20 hours and I thought it was well worth full price. Enjoyed the ending too, the game had a few ups and downs but overall I loved it. Best Rockstar published game this gen for me

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
vocab said:
I got two codes. One for naked city, and one for the badge pursuit challenge. It came with the rock star evidence thing with the film reel.
Wait you got a code in the envelope with the film reels? I didn't notice anything when I looked inside.

tiff

Banned
So I was walking back to the car down a narrow passage, and there's this lady in the way, so I just have Cole walk into her and HE FOREARM SHOVES HER STRAIGHT TO THE GROUND (taking Rusty with her, haha).

Cole Phelps is the biggest dick in gaming history.

rhino4evr said:
Surprised so many people are having trouble picking truth, doubt, or lie...I just 5 starred another Homicide case.
I have five 5 star cases part way through Homicide, but some of them can be tricky.

zlatko

Banned
zlatko said:
Just rented this game for PS3. Before I start did a patch come out to remedy the YLOD issues or should I be monitoring my console heat during play to take periodical breaks?

Anyone? Still holding off on playing until I know.

Xtyle

Shorty11857 said:
Just beat it, really enjoyed it took about 20 hours and I thought it was well worth full price. Enjoyed the ending too, the game had a few ups and downs but overall I loved it. Best Rockstar published game this gen for me

I really enjoyed it too. I loved all the characters. They are all likable and believable.
I think people are exaggerating some of the flaws of this game. Yea some aspects are not as good as they can be and there are some odd bits (the interrogation and what not ) but the overall experience to me was great. I thought the last cases were great fun too (unlike most other people). It reminded me a lot of L.A Confidential.

I find people comparing this to Ace Attorney unnecessary. I have never really played that series of games but not every detective game needs to be like them. L.A Noire works just fine for me.

rhino4evr said:
Surprised so many people are having trouble picking truth, doubt, or lie...I just 5 starred another Homicide case.

Well for me I think I'm concentrating too much on reading the person, rather than what I have to present in the interrogation.

For me some of the evidence is far too ambiguous (in context with the question being asked), to the point were it's almost irrelevant.

For me all the enjoyment of the game seems to be coming from the lead up to the interrogation, specifically visiting the crime scene and looking for evidence. The actual interrogation part feels like an unwelcome mini-game, which seems to play out in way that almost everything before it seems detached.

It's a great game, but poor design decisions really bring it down from 'transcending the genre' to 'if it only just...'.

rhino4evr

I think the interrogations are the best part of the game..and the only part that I would consider challenging. The driving/shooting stuff is pretty average. The clue finding is another hightlight.

rhino4evr said:
...and the only part that I would consider challenging.

Well perhaps I'm just a poor detective, but in too many instances my line of questioning has been at odds with the 'correct' path. I'm all for a challenge, but frustration is setting in.

Slurmer

Banned
Sorry if this is an obvious fix or has already been discussed. To anyone that is having issues with freezing:

I had a launch 60gb and the game kept freezing on me during the opening of the third case. No matter how many times I tried, it would always freeze up on me. I deleted the game data (not the save data), booted the game back up so the game data would reinstall, and the game now runs fine again.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
bigben85 said:
I really enjoyed it too. I loved all the characters. They are all likable and believable.
I think people are exaggerating some of the flaws of this game. Yea some aspects are not as good as they can be and there are some odd bits (the interrogation and what not ) but the overall experience to me was great. I thought the last cases were great fun too (unlike most other people). It reminded me a lot of L.A Confidential.

I find people comparing this to Ace Attorney unnecessary. I have never really played that series of games but not every detective game needs to be like them. L.A Noire works just fine for me.
Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying it immensely, but I'm enjoying it for what it is. Doesn't mean I can't talk about what it's not as well.

It's a strange game. I don't consider it an adventure at all. If you break it down to it's most basic elements it's like a treasure hunt game with the outcome being based on how much treasure you found and how well you play the rock paper scissor like minigame at the end.

You never solve any crimes, or piece together clues to advance your case. all the clues are just laid out for you to find if you look hard enough or unearth via interrogation.

I search well then I pick the right dialogue tree then I advance and get a score.

I'm feeling a little annoyed with the homicide cases so far. I didn't want to close any of them but the game just takes it out of my hands and closes them anyway. In fact my only 5 star case was the least satisfactory one of all because I had a major clue to follow up but the game decided it was time for an action scene which ended up with the case closing.

Finished it. It was fine. It's essentially a hidden object game with some okay driving bits, some okay shooting bits and some dialogue trees. The technical stuff is good, yeah - although the fact that they use a lot of photos as textures, and that weird FMV
for the floor
is a bit cheap - but the game is sorely lacking, I felt. Cole is a horrible character, and it isn't until the final few chapters that the character relationships started clicking. Also, with Homicide being by far the most interesting cases, it's a shame that they didn't actually structure the game more conventionally.

Man, the whole interogation system is flawed beyond believe. Like "truth" is the correct answer, but afterwards you find out that the suspect was lying. What the hell?

So far I'm digging Vice a hell of a lot more than Homicide. It seems to harken back to more of the actual detective work, as opposed to Homicide being just lather, rinse, repeat.

Xtyle

I think it would help make the game maybe more satisfying to some gamers is if for example, I called a lie, and I provided a wrong piece of evident, so I failed. The game scores me lower (as it is now). But the game should LET me choose to present another piece of evidence. As I think that's more natural and not be frustrating.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Can anyone fill me in on why the victims in the Black Caesar case
had access to the codes for the two distributors' stashes? Did they work for them? I thought they just bought from the restaurant.

tiff

Banned
Shootouts in a bunch of tight hallways (
The catacombs in the last Homicide case
) really showcase how busted the shooting controls are. They really couldn't have made it any more unwieldy. This is why every game should let you remap controls yourself.

Also (end of Homicide spoilers):
The criminal mastermind is a temp bartender? Guess it makes sense given his penchant for alcoholics, but still...

disappeared said:
So far I'm digging Vice a hell of a lot more than Homicide. It seems to harken back to more of the actual detective work, as opposed to Homicide being just lather, rinse, repeat.

That's good to hear, I'm just about to start Vice.

But like others have chimed, such as Kaizoku, the game is really bizarre when you break it down. It's not really deep or complex at all. I wouldn't even say it's "unique" completely, since it's essentially a treasure hunt followed by a "yes no maybe" series of questions, that are quote often guess and you'll get it scenarios.

Like I said before, people are noticing these flaws a great deal more because this game relies of believability, of the characters and the setting. The setting is nailed completely, much like RDR was. But the character interaction between Cole and his suspects, and the dynamic of the cases can often be jarring and disconnected.

Many times I'll be sure that a suspect is doubt worthy, especially when shifting their eyes, and then all of a sudden I'm completely incorrect and Cole starts ranting at the person, often resulting me thinking "this isn't what I want him to say".

The game is great as an experience, but it's flaws are magnified greatly *because* of what it's trying to convey. Heavy Rain kinda has the same issues.

Don

StuBurns said:
Anyone?

I think you get the Slip of a Tongue case if you preorder from Play.

I would say that it is very likely that both will show up on PSN/XBL at some point. Both sets of DLC have their own set of trophies/achievements so it would be weird for them to never be released for everyone.

Edit: I think I got mixed up actually. What is the PS3 exclusive case called?

watershed

Banned
tiff said:
Shootouts in a bunch of tight hallways (
The catacombs in the last Homicide case
) really showcase how busted the shooting controls are. They really couldn't have made it any more unwieldy. This is why every game should let you remap controls yourself.

Also (end of Homicide spoilers):
The criminal mastermind is a temp bartender? Guess it makes sense given his penchant for alcoholics, but still...

Its funny because you can tell the devs knew how bad the controls were but didn't bother to fix them. Instead they give you the option to turn up a ridiculous auto-aim and the ability to skip action sequences if you fail too many times. When I saw that I knew controls were gonna be bad.

Just finished the homicide desk.
I get the complaints and agree with most of you guys as to how and why the plot really trips over itself at that point. I just think it could have been helped a lot by cutting it down to maybe 3 cases? 4 tops? The similarity between all of them is what made it drag for me and I think the plot point they were obviously driving to would have had more impact if the whole section of the game didn't feel slowed to a crawl.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
thegriefer said:
This game is getting a bit repetitive for me, now around halfway through(rail road murder).
Same. I just got to homicide desk but I can feel the repetition kicking in. They basically introduced every gameplay facet early in the game and I feel they'll all be recycled until the end with a few twists and variations in the basic structure of each case. I guess uniqueness can't equate to freshness.

Tom Penny

Fuck this game. I just finish the butterfly case last night. Go to play today and I have no save file. I have to start the whole fucking game over. Such bullshit. Absolute bullshit.

Just wrapped up case 14/21 and was prompted to put in disc three. I'm sitting a little shy of ten hours, so I guess another five or so left for me.

I'm enjoying it pretty far, but I don't really play it like I play other games. Normally I like to marathon my way through single player in other games, but with LA Noire I am playing a case or two a day.

Rockstar would be missing out on a huge opportunity if they don't release new cases cheaply and frequently for this game. They should think of each case like an episode of Law and Order and price it that way. If Rockstar prices new cases at $5 a piece they will sell shit loads.

Man, did I fuck that butterfly case all up. Got a score of "unbecoming" with maybe 2 out of 19 questions answered correctly. Gah! The messed up thing is I felt like I had a handle on all the details of the case but had very little definitive proof. There was maybe one answer that I know I got wrong as soon as I selected it, but damn.

It does still very much bug me how "Doubt" tends to play out. Sometimes you'll gently probe for more info, sometime's you'll go full on batshit. It really does feel like we're missing an option or two.

And while I have turned off the vibrations I would never consider turning the investigative music off. Its too helpful without being a "win" button, and keeps the pace of the game moving. At the very least its great to hear when you've found all the clues in an area.

Edit: I wish navigation was handled better in this game. No compass and no street names (or very few) in the minimap means I can either skip the drive, bug my partner constantly for directions, or drive in a general direction and hope I take the right turn. I know the game wants to set a period mood, but its hard to enjoy the ride without some better navigation aids. We can assume our character knows L.A. well enough to make his way around can't we? That's excuse enough to provide more UI aids to the player.

rhino4evr

Dr Eggman said:
Same. I just got to homicide desk but I can feel the repetition kicking in. They basically introduced every gameplay facet early in the game and I feel they'll all be recycled until the end with a few twists and variations in the basic structure of each case. I guess uniqueness can't equate to freshness.
Once again..don't get this complaint. Especially when you compare it to other open world games. So far there have been new and interesting things in each case. Subtle stuff..but different. The Fallen Idol had a lot of great set pieces and interesting bits.

I think each case so far has been pretty memorable..

Let's compare this to say..GTA4...which is basically drive to point A...shoot people or chase people...avoid cops..rinse repeat.

If you find the game repetitive..then you just aren't enjoying the game I general. It's not repetitive unless you actually find the gameplay boring.

Plasmid

QjcR8.png

FINALLY.

Gonna try to 5 star missions in about 2-3 weeks after my vacation.

Grisby

Congrats Plasmid!

I decided I was going to hold off on collecting the film reels and the cars. Some stuff is just too much for I, :D.

Dries

Dries said:
Also wondering: are there any cases in the Hollywood area? I desperately want to explore that area with a case. Maybe answer in spoiler tags? Just yes or no ;p

Anyone?

BurningNad

This game is a hoot.

Cole needed to make a phone call during a case. It was a homicide case so Rusty was his partner. Anyway, Cole gets to the phone on the street, since they were outside, and Rusty is running to catch up with Cole. He pushes a pedestrian out of his way, who then falls to the ground, in the street. A car turns the corner and runs him over. It sits there for about 15 seconds, while Cole was talking to the operator, then speeds off. Cole finishes his phone call while the guy bleeds out.

Stellar policework, Detective Phelps.

StuBurns

Banned
Don said:
I think you get the Slip of a Tongue case if you preorder from Play.

I would say that it is very likely that both will show up on PSN/XBL at some point. Both sets of DLC have their own set of trophies/achievements so it would be weird for them to never be released for everyone.

Edit: I think I got mixed up actually. What is the PS3 exclusive case called?
There are three completed cases you can get in various ways, Tongue, Naked City and Consul's Car. Consul's Car is the US PS3 exclusive case. Rockstar have said the preorder DLC will become available via PSN/XBL, I was wondering if they've been more specific about when that'll be. We know DLC is coming in about a month, so presumably it'll be before then.

But I was also wondering if the PS3 exclusive case will be available thru PSN outside of the US.

And if the DLC version of Naked City will be the same as the preorder version, because the preorder version comes with physical content in the game box that can't be downloaded.

Lakitu

st5fu
The Homicide stuff is so good. I hope Arson and Vice have compelling cases.

Damn, the Captain ripped my arse out when I apparently fucked up one of the cases :(

Amazing game so far. Still got a bit more to do, but the ending of homicide is frustrating:

How do you avoid the killer's shots? I'm in the graveyard area and I want to take him in alive?

Lime

Me and some friends have a hard time taking Phelps seriously. Each time he has interrogated (read: verbally tortured) a suspect/victim, chased a car while destroying half the city, killed fugitives, and so forth, we blurt out the usual Police Chief line:

"GODDAMNIT YOU ARE LOOSE CANNON, PHELPS! The mayor is having my ass over your reckless behaviour and complete disregard for human life!..But dammit, you get the job done!"

Makes the game 10x more entertaining.

laika09

Lakitu said:
The Homicide stuff is so good. I hope Arson and Vice have compelling cases.

Damn, the Captain ripped my arse out when I apparently fucked up one of the cases :(

Amazing game so far. Still got a bit more to do, but the ending of homicide is frustrating:

How do you avoid the killer's shots? I'm in the graveyard area and I want to take him in alive?

You can't take anyone alive, sadly.

bitoriginal

I'm experiencing a love hate relationship with this game. Sometimes it's got me gripped by the balls with an interesting lead on a case, and then I drive somewhere and do a street crime and get pissed off with the way I'm supposed to follow the script exactly. The shooting and driving just dont feel satisfying enough as game mechanics. Havent been this undecided on a game (even after playing it for 10 hours) in a long time.

Top Bottom