• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Astery

Finished the game in 26 hours. I felt the arson desk is way better than homicide, at least the plot makes better sense, I mean
the insane dude makes up all evidences against other people? how does he pull it off? And these people are mostly acting that they may or may not be the killer.

I've lost maybe an hour total due to the awful checkpointing in this game. I would assume that it would autosave after something important like, you know, finishing a chapter or clearing a crime scene. There should at least be a manual save so I don't have to wonder where I'll resume playing after I turn the game off.

Grisby

RomanticHeroX said:
I've lost maybe an hour total due to the awful checkpointing in this game. I would assume that it would autosave after something important like, you know, finishing a chapter or clearing a crime scene. There should at least be a manual save so I don't have to wonder where I'll resume playing after I turn the game off.

I always tried to go to a street crime or a story event before turning the game off. I;d do location and car stuff before that.

But yeah, I dislike the save system.

StuBurns

Banned
It seems to save all the time for me. I've literally not lost a minute. I've been playing case by case, turning it off once I've got to the crime scene. But the times I've failed by people getting away it's always been just seconds before it last check pointed.

Huh, that's a good idea. It's still shades of Assassin's Creed to have to do a side mission or collect something to trigger the autosave. What's so bad about including a manual option too?

It doesn't autosave after finishing a case? Fuck.

I turned it off at the results screen for a case and it picked up at the last scene of that chapter.

brentech

Reselling while Amazon still gives me a good bit back. Between the money I got off the game and the Amazon bucks for the pre-order, I made money on it so it's all good. I enjoyed the game a good bit, but for me this game doesn't lend itself to replaying beyond some basic stuff which I can still screw with for a few days before shipping it out.

Anyways....I have the PS3 version and since the store is down, I have a code for the car and a suit available for giveaway.

First PM's to me (going by the date stamp received) can lay their claim to whichever item code they want. Can't have both, so 2 people get a code. Will tell you as soon as I figure out that a request has been made for each item - then stop PMing, lol.

Use the item you want as your subject line to make it easy:
1) THE BRODERICK (suit)
2) THE CONSUL'S CAR

GO!

EDIT: both claimed

I've rented the game and am on the sixth case. So far i'm thoroughly enjoying it although I do think it suffers from many of the same flaws that Phoenix Wright did, like evidence presenting and witness pressing. At the very least they try to keep the case going here so that even if you fuck up it's not the end of the game. One thing I want to ask though: is there any over-arching plot throughout the game (apart from the army flashbacks and newspapers) or is it pretty much just open and shut cases? I just feel the game is missing something, such as a serial killer who leaves his calling card, or some such.

Wow, went from Vice to Arson in the blink of an eye.

I didn't see that backstab coming. Phelps got royally fucked.

But sure enough, back on another case within seconds. This game's narrative, despite its dramatic overtone, tends to trip over itself from one cutscene to the next.

What a load of shit the ending to homicide. fuck , feel like ive wasted 5 hours or whatever of my time on that shit and now im partnered with this douche :/

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Johnlenham said:
What a load of shit the ending to homicide. fuck , feel like ive wasted 5 hours or whatever of my time on that shit and now im partnered with this douche :/
Hahahaha, yeah. The end of Vice doesn't impress much either.

brentech

Johnlenham said:
Yeah, I hate that asshole - and while homicide ending seemed lame, I was okay with each case as it stood on it's own.

Also, if anyone wants the Amazon suit pre-order DLC, see my above post and PM me.
Edit: Scratch that. Claimed

tiff

Banned
Johnlenham said:
Thinking about it afterward it makes perfect sense why it ends the way it ends, but they handled it pretty horribly.
Should have had the guy keep showing up case after case. As it is now it feels like it comes out of nowhere.

I like the Vice partner though.

Lime

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I've rented the game and am on the sixth case. So far i'm thoroughly enjoying it although I do think it suffers from many of the same flaws that Phoenix Wright did, like evidence presenting and witness pressing. At the very least they try to keep the case going here so that even if you fuck up it's not the end of the game. One thing I want to ask though: is there any over-arching plot throughout the game (apart from the army flashbacks and newspapers) or is it pretty much just open and shut cases? I just feel the game is missing something, such as a serial killer who leaves his calling card, or some such.

I am interested in this as well.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
rhino4evr said:
Once again..don't get this complaint. Especially when you compare it to other open world games. So far there have been new and interesting things in each case. Subtle stuff..but different. The Fallen Idol had a lot of great set pieces and interesting bits.

I think each case so far has been pretty memorable..

Let's compare this to say..GTA4...which is basically drive to point A...shoot people or chase people...avoid cops..rinse repeat.

If you find the game repetitive..then you just aren't enjoying the game I general. It's not repetitive unless you actually find the gameplay boring.
Subtle isn't enough. GTA IV believe or not had variety in each mission. This game can't really do anything though about it though since it's not a full open-world game and relies on the detective aspect, the chasing, the shooting etc. After a while it gets boring though. I can't fully criticize it though since I'm not even halfway done. Just a quick review.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Regarding the last mission of homicide, I'm not sure if I got a bug or if the game really wanted to be that redundant:
Are you actually able to go to the locations before cole figures them out? I discovered the tar pits while driving around at the start, and the one poem sounded like it a lot so I went there. Nothing. Then I drove halfway across the city and cole goes "Hmm...the tar pits!" so I returned and it went forward.

EekTheKat

It feels like Cole is totally channeling
Dan Aykroyd as Joe Friday
in some scenes, which sort of makes some scenes unintentionally hilarious.

Papercuts said:
Regarding the last mission of homicide, I'm not sure if I got a bug or if the game really wanted to be that redundant:
Are you actually able to go to the locations before cole figures them out? I discovered the tar pits while driving around at the start, and the one poem sounded like it a lot so I went there. Nothing. Then I drove halfway across the city and cole goes "Hmm...the tar pits!" so I returned and it went forward.

You can actually go to the locations before you have to go them.

For example, I went to the ending place for a different clue but it wouldn't let me in and thus I figured out I was wrong.

I NEED SCISSORS said:

Most cases are open and shut. Homicide seems to have the biggest over-arching plot, but it comes to an end when you change over to Vice.

It's so strange, because I remember way back when Noire was still in development, thinking that most of the game was going to revolve around one or two mysterious and intricate murders, with some really balls-deep detective work, and working to track down the killer. I must have heard wrong or just not gotten the hint. When the Homicide missions kicked in I was still thinking, "okay, here we go..." But it was always open and shut.

Papercuts

PsychoSoldier said:
You can actually go to the locations before you have to go them.

For example, I went to the ending place for a different clue but it wouldn't let me in and thus I figured out I was wrong.

But if you decipher the poem right and go to the right place, it's supposed to trigger? It didn't for me.

tiff

Banned
Papercuts said:
If you set the waypoint for the location your objectives will be updated and it will act the same as if Cole figured them out. I did that for a few of them.

THRILLH0

Banned
Did anyone else find it stupid that during Manifest Destiny
you read/view the newspaper that shows Roy ratting you out for screwing Elsa and when it's over Cole goes back to being buddy, buddy with Roy who's standing right next to him?

I get that the player knows more than Cole and in a way it provides some interesting subtext but I just thought it was ridiculous when the mechanic is Cole himself reading the paper.

pakkit

Banned
Lime said:
Me and some friends have a hard time taking Phelps seriously. Each time he has interrogated (read: verbally tortured) a suspect/victim, chased a car while destroying half the city, killed fugitives, and so forth, we blurt out the usual Police Chief line:

"GODDAMNIT YOU ARE LOOSE CANNON, PHELPS! The mayor is having my ass over your reckless behaviour and complete disregard for human life!..But dammit, you get the job done!"

Makes the game 10x more entertaining.

This is one of those games that is just as fun to watch as it is to play.

"We're doing God's work, boys. Go out and find me some sinners."

I'm sad to see so many people planning to skip the game. It's the first Rockstar related campaign that I've marathoned since Bully.

EDIT: To the poster above, the newspaper mechanic didn't really bother me. You were getting the hidden story in the background. The headlines were always different from what you were actually told in the cutscenes.

Lime

disappeared said:
Most cases are open and shut. Homicide seems to have the biggest over-arching plot, but it comes to an end when you change over to Vice.

It's so strange, because I remember way back when Noire was still in development, thinking that most of the game was going to revolve around one or two mysterious and intricate murders, with some really balls-deep detective work, and working to track down the killer. I must have heard wrong or just not gotten the hint. When the Homicide missions kicked in I was still thinking, "okay, here we go..." But it was always open and shut.

Seriously? No over-arching plot at all? Great, so the game is basically just a series of side quests with no character development and resolution at all?

AShep said:
Did anyone else find it stupid that during Manifest Destiny
you read/view the newspaper that shows Roy ratting you out for screwing Elsa and when it's over Cole goes back to being buddy, buddy with Roy who's standing right next to him?

I get that the player knows more than Cole and in a way it provides some interesting subtext but I just thought it was ridiculous when the mechanic is Cole himself reading the paper.

I just assumed that
Roy wasn't mentioned in the article.
But yeah, it was kind of weird. The two of you hop back into the car and everything is right as rain.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The movies that play when you read a newspaper article aren't the article itself. It's like a joke in a way, that the papers tell you something and the truth is much crazier.

I apologize if this has been asked before, but

I got L.A. Noire on the PS3 and am just cracking it open right now (been out of the country for two weeks). Can I still download these cases included with the game without the PSN store being up?

pakkit

Banned
Lime said:
Seriously? No over-arching plot at all? Great, so the game is basically just a series of side quests with no character development and resolution at all?
This is straight up false. There is an extensive overarching plot, and I'd say it's a pretty good one at that.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ShockingAlberto said:
I apologize if this has been asked before, but

I got L.A. Noire on the PS3 and am just cracking it open right now (been out of the country for two weeks). Can I still download these cases included with the game without the PSN store being up?
no, tuesday

rhino4evr

This game is definitely a mature title..and I'm not talking about the nudity. Takes a little sophistication to truly appreciate what Team Bondi is doing here. This is probably the most "adult" game I've ever played. Which explains why so many People on this board dislike it.

RomanticHeroX said:
Huh, that's a good idea. It's still shades of Assassin's Creed to have to do a side mission or collect something to trigger the autosave. What's so bad about including a manual option too?.

When at a site, you can walk out of it to save, but yea no saving if going for a joyride around the city, which is annoying since you get rank points for seeing stuff.

rhino4evr said:
This game is definitely a mature title..and I'm not talking about the nudity. Takes a little sophistication to truly appreciate what Team Bondi is doing here. This is probably the most "adult" game I've ever played. Which explains why so many People on this board dislike it.

What's adult about a bunch of stories that are basically CSI: 1947?

butter_stick said:

A bunch of stories that are generally poorly told, kind of like CSI!

PsychoSoldier said:
There definitely is an overarching plot, but unfortunately it often acts to the detriment of the gameplay instead of in support of it.

At a certain point in the game a bunch of unrelated crimes would have been quite welcome.

This is what they should have done. Especially the homicide desk.

There definitely is an overarching plot, but unfortunately it often acts to the detriment of the gameplay instead of in support of it.

At a certain point in the game a bunch of unrelated crimes would have been quite welcome.

Papercuts

rhino4evr said:

Come the fuck on, this is getting into Heavy Rain defense territory here. I've had people watch me play burst out laughing at cole calling people old hags out of nowhere, an adult approach to this game is just making the logic leaps stand out even more.

pakkit

Banned
PsychoSoldier said:

I agree there. More episodic, self-contained cases would've been rewarding.

C'mon, DLC.

rhino4evr

butter_stick said:
I'm referring to the overall pace and importance of dialog compared to pretty much any game on the market. There is a reason you can't skip certain cut scenes. The script much more important then in most games.

Papercuts

Kung Fu Grip said:
Who did you guys choose for the wifes murder, hugo moller or the other guy?

I chose hugo but then the captain got upset?

I chose him too, because more stuff linked him to the crime. Silly me, logic doesn't like this game.

rhino4evr said:

i don't think so. i think it's the fact that, while it's adult some of the time, it almost constantly swerves into ludicrous & then back again. were it consistently nitty-gritty realistic, i think more people, including myself, would be happier with it...

it's not about sophistication. it's more about what team bondi wanted to do, or thought they were doing, & what they actually ended up doing, not necessarily being the same thing...

rhino4evr said:
I'm referring to the overall pace and importance of dialog compared to pretty much any game on the market. There is a reason you can't skip certain cut scenes. The script much more important then in most games.

Homicide Desk Spoilers

Yeah, don't want to miss all that important information so you can arrest the wrong person 5 times in a row.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
rhino4evr said:

Tell me who dislikes this game because it is "adult."

This was a mistake.

Top Bottom