• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
alterno69 said:
I haven't beat the game but from the beginning the theme is how war veterans are fucked up, at least in the newspapers.

They shouldn't have the backstory negatively impact the actual detective stuff, cole is no fun to use with his random outbursts...if that's even why that happens. It doesn't seem intentional.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
FUCK this game. I can't ever tell truth from doubt, and I keep messing up. No second chances is completely ruining my enjoyment of this.

Loxley

Dacvak said:
FUCK this game. I can't ever tell truth from doubt, and I keep messing up. No second chances is completely ruining my enjoyment of this.

Well, know you're definitely not the only one, you just kind of have to grin and bare it. Phelps' apparent bipolar disorder combined with the fact that there's only one real right answer (and that the game literally yells at you and makes you feel like an enormous asshole if you get it wrong) all make the interrogations pretty frustrating.

Irish

Loxley said:
Well, know you're definitely not the only one, you just kind of have to grin and bare it. Phelps' apparent bipolar disorder combined with the fact that there's only one real right answer (and that the game literally yells at you and makes you feel like an enormous asshole if you get it wrong) all make the interrogations can be pretty frustrating.

Actually, I think that's how it works. Cole acts like a fucking idiot when you select 'Doubt' only when it's the incorrect answer. :D

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Think PS3 people will be able to buy The Naked City as dlc soon? Does R* like money, I meant?

Qaz Kwaz

Banned
I almost always pick "Lie" first, only because what Cole says can help you to determine if you have the right evidence. Then, if you still don't think so, just back out.

Irish

Y2Kev said:
definitely not true

Couldn't remember for sure.

____

One quick question:

Were you ever able to pull anything other than a shotgun out of your trunk? I remember there being a prompt saying push the left stick in a direction to switch weapons, but I never seemed to get it to work.

R2D4

Banned
mattiewheels said:
Think PS3 people will be able to buy The Naked City as dlc soon? Does R* like money, I meant?

When ever the PSN Store is back up. Which at this pace would be sometime this fall. :(

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Qaz Kwaz said:
I almost always pick "Lie" first, only because what Cole says can help you to determine if you have the right evidence. Then, if you still don't think so, just back out.
Yeah, I habitually hit 'Lie' first just to hear what happens and gauge my attack. Plus I just like to see everything I can in the game, every line and every aside.

mattiewheels said:
Yeah, I habitually hit 'Lie' first just to hear what happens and gauge my attack. Plus I just like to see everything I can in the game, every line and every aside.

Hmm, I didnt know you could back out of the Lie once you already selected it, I must start this next tactic.

delume

I have a question about The Golden Butterfly case:
I didn't get to choose who was guilty at the end of the case like some have said, instead the husband prompted a chase after the two interrogations which led to his arrest. Is this because I did a very bad job? Found this case a bit bewildering, couldn't really bring myself to believe either of the suspects did it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It's just stupid to me that you basically get one "gimme" with each case. Or two if you save up your intuition points. Or four. Why not just get an FAQ to give you the right answers? Might as well consider it "easy mode." I wish intuition points were basically endless, but simply only gave you a small hint if you're totally stumped. Giving away the answer with the polls feels like such a forced way to help people, and totally takes me out of the game.

Don't get me wrong, I like how the interrogations are difficult, but when one misread can fuck up an entire case, and the answers are anything but clear half of the time, the game gets frustrating in the worst way. A better use of intuition points would be to give you a mulligan when you get an answer wrong.

Just about everything about this game is incredible, but it's so unfairly brutal when you're heavily invested in the story and one dumb mistake by the very bipolar Cole Phelps ends your chances at a happy ending.

Irish

Dacvak said:
It's just stupid to me that you basically get one "gimme" with each case. Or two if you save up your intuition points. Or four. Why not just get an FAQ to give you the right answers? Might as well consider it "easy mode." I wish intuition points were basically endless, but simply only gave you a small hint if you're totally stumped. Giving away the answer with the polls feels like such a forced way to help people, and totally takes me out of the game.

It doesn't give you an answer though. It only takes away one possible choice and the ones they leave you with aren't always clear.

ksdixon

Is it true that this game crashes your PS3 and Xbox360? I have a Slim Xbox360 which I purchased in Feb, and a Slim PS3 which about a year old.

If it is true, what is the nature of the crash? Does it just turn the system off, or does it literally break them, making it so that it cannot play any other games?

I'm very interested in renting the game for PS3 later today, but I'm a bit scared of breaking either console.

Aspiring

Just 5 starred my first case!
I forget the name it was with the child sex guy and the husband. I answered all questions right in the two interrogations and must have arrested the right bloke. I just didn't want to leave the girl an orphan plus for some reason believed it was rabbit blood.
I don't get the hate with interrogations. Either you have evidence so hit lie, or you believe them or doubt them. Just watch the eyes and mouth. If they are looking around or not at you but you don't have proof, just doubt them. Such an awesome game!

At above, I have a slim 360 and have not had a single crash.

Aspiring said:
Just 5 starred my first case!
I forget the name it was with the child sex guy and the husband. I answered all questions right in the two interrogations and must have arrested the right bloke. I just didn't want to leave the girl an orphan plus for some reason believed it was rabbit blood.
I don't get the hate with interrogations. Either you have evidence so hit lie, or you believe them or doubt them. Just watch the eyes and mouth. If they are looking around or not at you but you don't have proof, just doubt them. Such an awesome game!

At above, I have a slim 360 and have not had a single crash.
Oh shit, it was
Rabbit's blood on his shoes?
I completely bombed that line of questioning so I never got that bit of dialog.

Irish

lilsting10 said:
Is it true that this game crashes your PS3 and Xbox360? I have a Slim Xbox360 which I purchased in Feb, and a Slim PS3 which about a year old.

If it is true, what is the nature of the crash? Does it just turn the system off, or does it literally break them, making it so that it cannot play any other games?

I'm very interested in renting the game for PS3 later today, but I'm a bit scared of breaking either console.

There was a patch that was released, so you don't have to worry about. I don't believe the problem affected slim PS3s anyway.

Aspiring

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Oh shit, it was
Rabbit's blood on his shoes?
I completely bombed that line of questioning so I never got that bit of dialog.

Yeah it was. And once I heard that combined with the look on his face and tone of voice I sort of knew he wasn't my man.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Ok 6 hours in and halfway through homicide, I am enjoying the ride, really dig the presentation but it certainly has flaws. I don't agree with the "this is the future of adventure games" angle. It's more like a movie you push along.

Adventure games are all about finding items, great dialogue and solving puzzles. This is about finding items and going through motions until you see the next scene.

I rarely feel like I do any actual puzzle solving, intelligent clue collecting or even police work. Particularly having played games like Phoenix Wright, where every person you 'interrogate' has an intricate set of clever puzzles to solve.

I feel like crap is just handed to you on a plate and then it's just guesswork based on the facial mini game or whether you have all the evidence.

I enjoy the world, the presentation, the interrogation minigame. I just wish it was more like an adventure game like Phoenix Wright. I wish the cases weren't so harsh with failing you or letting you get questions wrong and having to start all over again, or letting you forget to do certain stuff cos you solved a case before you knew it.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Played for another hour or so. Game of the year? Perhaps. It certainly has alot of a potential. I haven't so thoroughly enjoyed a game in a long while. 2011 is shaping up to be the year of gaming atleast.

rdrr gnr

A few cases away from finishing. Definitely not what I expected. The interrogations and clue finding eventually become banal. The lack of an overarching narrative is disappointing. I can definitely see why some people may enjoy the game, but for the style of gameplay and narrative I enjoy -- I'm really forcing myself to finish. Maybe the ending will be the ultimate payoff, but as far as I'm concerned, the game is disappointingly lackluster and flawed in nature.

MuseManMike said:
A few cases away from finishing. Definitely not what I expected. The interrogations and clue finding eventually become banal. The lack of an overarching narrative is disappointing.
To each their own, but not everything is epic.

Thank goodness this game is more restrained.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm having trouble moving on, and I just got into vice. Apparently I only have 9 hours logged, but it feels like way more...getting tiresome.

unomas

Banned
Just entering my first homicide case, but so far it's starting to grind on me a bit. I'll finish the game, but I'm losing interest rather quickly. I don't like how the clues in the cases and interrogations literally leave you guessing. I feel like I'm being smart about my choices, and then bam I'm wrong and it blows up in my face.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
It's starting to feel like a film that I enjoy watching and really want to see more of, but the process of unlocking each scene is quite a chore. I think I've given up on the game surprising or intriguing me via interesting or cool cases or twists etc.

I think people who think this is like the next evolution of adventure games or storytelling or one of the games of the generation are kinda being tricked by the gloss and Jedi mind tricks going on. Once you get past the veneer, this is an interesting step for gaming but it doesn't feel like it's arrived at it's destination.

Or maybe I'm just in a mid game lull.

MrCompletely said:
just started Quarter Moon Murder

FINALLY, the case is doing something interesting and different, ie following clues to map locations. It's obvious that this case is going to tie the previous 4 together and end the homicide desk. Overall, I'm immensely enjoying the game, but it frustrates me how many leads and threads are left open with each case, and how some clues never come into play.

This.

THRILLH0

Banned
What the hell, can someone explain why I just 1-starred The Set Up?
I found 11/11 clues, answered 2/3 questions right and caused about $300 damage.

Is that really enough to get me reamed by the Cap and 1-starred?

Toki767

Just finished the game tonight. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm rather tempted to try to get a Platinum trophy for the game. I think the hard part will be either getting all the cars or all the film reels, though I know people already put the locations down for those film reels. I'm just not sure how tedious it'll eventually become.

MuseManMike said:
A few cases away from finishing. Definitely not what I expected. The interrogations and clue finding eventually become banal. The lack of an overarching narrative is disappointing. I can definitely see why some people may enjoy the game, but for the style of gameplay and narrative I enjoy -- I'm really forcing myself to finish. Maybe the ending will be the ultimate payoff, but as far as I'm concerned, the game is disappointingly lackluster and flawed in nature.

Yep. The game just became a chore for me at about half way through. Once the novelty of the facial animation wears off, there isn't much left there.

kinberg

Neo Member
Killthee said:
Have you tried the Social Club? There's a section for the newspapers under Checklist that list all the headlines you've collected. It might help you track down that final one.

Thank you so much, solved the problem. 100% here I come!

Mik2121

Atruvius said:
How much do I have left? I just completed that "white shoe murder" in homicide. It was probably fourth homicide case.
White Shoe Murder is the 4th case, yeah. Then you have another 2 Homicide cases (the last one being the best), then all the Vice desk cases and the Arson desk cases. Vice desk isn't all that long, but Arson will take you a bit of time. So yeah, you still got quite a few hours of play :p

Atruvius

Mik2121 said:
White Shoe Murder is the 4th case, yeah. Then you have another 2 Homicide cases (the last one being the best), then all the Vice desk cases and the Arson desk cases. Vice desk isn't all that long, but Arson will take you a bit of time. So yeah, you still got quite a few hours of play :p
Great! Should take a few days to finish it then. Still loving the game and don't want it to end just yet.

unomas said:
Just entering my first homicide case, but so far it's starting to grind on me a bit. I'll finish the game, but I'm losing interest rather quickly. I don't like how the clues in the cases and interrogations literally leave you guessing. I feel like I'm being smart about my choices, and then bam I'm wrong and it blows up in my face.
This bothered me too. It's a lot of guesswork. What disappoints me the most is how a lot of the evidence you find means nothing. There was one or two cases in Homicide that didn't do this but laying out the evidence for me to spin in my hand is not exciting. A lot if great things on this game but the next step for adventure games it is not, which I really hoped it was.

Majmun

So, you can't skip the cutscenes? It's pretty tiring to rewatch the whole chapter when you want to restart a mission because of a failed interrigation.
And I accidentally got killed by a car yesterday. Had to rewatch all of the cutscenes again. Blergh

without spoiling the story, what happens after the ending? does it allow you to go get all the cars and film reels and badges and junk? I haven't done much of the side stuff yet

Mik2121

Second said:
So, you can't skip the cutscenes? It's pretty tiring to rewatch the whole chapter when you want to restart a mission because of a failed interrigation.
And I accidentally got killed by a car yesterday. Had to rewatch all of the cutscenes again. Blergh
That reminds me... yesterday I was playing and when I left Central Station and when to get on the car, a taxi was crossing by and accidentally hit me at like 2mph (he was just breaking, almost about to stop) and Phelps died. I found it so stupid that I just simply laughed and replayed the last part I had to make (it was just leaving the station, anyway).

Guy LeDouche said:
without spoiling the story, what happens after the ending? does it allow you to go get all the cars and film reels and badges and junk? I haven't done much of the side stuff yet
After the ending, all you can do is reload the last mission or replay earlier cases (there is a 'Free Roam' section for each desk, so just choose the last chapter's Free Roam and keep collecting cars and doing the side missions, they all add up to your stats).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Guy LeDouche said:
You need to use the free roam mode from the cases menu. You can also start a new game with your current rank.

Top Bottom