• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

I only just realised that yesterday, it should really have been explained during one of the 'tutorial' cases.

I do like that you can look at the interrogation notes, to remind yourself what has just been said.

Dabanton

I really like the on foot chases in this game the fact that you automatically jump over stuff in your way is nice.

What is weird and slightly lolsome is when suspects who are a little 'heavy' display all the skills of an accomplished free runner.

mujun

This game is sooooo good. Just did the case with the beatnik from Mad Men working in the bar. Aced it too, was nice having like 4 achievements pop on the completion screen :) Totally enthralling experience.

Just finished the
rigged boxing match mission (whatever it's called)
in Vice. Got to say, worst case so far in my opinion. Those tailing parts pissed me off.

firehawk12 said:
You need to use the free roam mode from the cases menu. You can also start a new game with your current rank.
Huh?

Very quick question on behalf of a friend: He's a big GTA fan, in fact its the only reason he owns a console. Should he pick up LA Noire expecting GTA 40s L.A.? Or would he be better off going for Red Dead?

sionyboy said:
Very quick question on behalf of a friend: He's a big GTA fan, in fact its the only reason he owns a console. Should he pick up LA Noire expecting GTA 40s L.A.? Or would he be better off going for Red Dead?

Red Dead, by far.

Maxrunner

For ayone who's sick of gta, is this different enough? what i mean i dont really like the sandbox type of game like gta, so i was wondering who much does game takes from gta likes....i was considering to buy it.

Hixx

sionyboy said:
Cheers, had a read through the thread and thought that as well. Seems to be much more adventure/mystery orientated than free-roaming carnage.

I wouldn't say Red Dead is free roaming carnage either. It's still much more subdued than GTA.

HixxSAFC said:
I wouldn't say Red Dead is free roaming carnage either. It's still much more subdued than GTA.
Compared to La Noire it is. You can roam the entire map and go on a killing spree. Just can't use a rocket launcher etc...

Atruvius

Maxrunner said:
For ayone who's sick of gta, is this different enough? what i mean i dont really like the sandbox type of game like gta, so i was wondering who much does game takes from gta likes....i was considering to buy it.

This is way different than GTAIV. Story and missions feel more linear. There isn't that much filler missions and you automatically go to the next mission after finishing the current one. Game is also much more serious and you cannot fool around in the world almost at all. OF course ypu have to drive around the city to get to you objectives, but you can also skip those by letting your partner drive.

You should be ok to buy this!

pakkit

Banned
Accusing people of lies if you have ANY doubt whatsoever is the way to do it. Sometimes their conversation after you accuse them of a lie naturally leads you to a piece of evidence you have, and if you can't see anything that directly conflicts with their statement, just back out and try doubt.

I also pause to check the log frequently. Another good thing to do is back out of a line of questioning and have them repeat the answer, because sometimes you can hear and see their shift in tone as they start to grasp at threads.

It may be elementary, but reading faces in this game is really rewarding. Especially later in the game when the giveaways are much more subtle.

I also think it's worth noting that there are very little penalties for getting the wrong answer, despite that musical tone that taunts you and the case rating at the end. Wrong answers can still net you interesting backstory, and even take the case to different locales or action events.

I'm near the last case right now, but my friend is still working the Traffic desk and it's great fun watching him play too because his results are so different. It's obvious that Rockstar and Bondi aimed to make a game that is almost as fun to watch as it is to play.

I'm not going to lie, I'm loving this game. It captures its era well, and it rewards multiple playthroughs with its massive script.

JonCha

Mr_Brit said:
The game just updated on 360, what does the update do?

Nothing it seems.

Also reached Vice and currently doing the first case. Already missing
Rusty
, who was a hilarious companion. The final Homicide case was incredible.
Going around and searching for landmarks yourself with no help was very good. Sadly Phelps figured them out before I did.

I also love driving in this game. Very simple, and very fun especially with the chase sequences and the tight angles that are thrown at you.

I would say the top highlight of the game for me was:

THIS is a tasty burger

One of the best delivered lines of comedy ever. Laughed every time.

Dries

Can someone tell me what's so game-breaking at the end of homicide with minimal spoilers? I'm so curious now. Is it some kind of big gameplay shift or something? Whats's the big fuss.

Working on my second homicide case and it's pretty much my GOTY so far.

Dries said:
Can someone tell me what's so game-breaking at the end of homicide with minimal spoilers? I'm so curious now. Is it some kind of big gameplay shift or something? Whats's the big fuss.

Working on my second homicide case and it's pretty much my GOTY so far.

I just got bumped up to Vice, and as interesting and fun as homicide was, towards the end it becomes a goose chase for quite a while. The first few cases are fantastic, and definitely give you the sense that there's more to it all. But the last section of homicide is a lot of chasing, and don't get me wrong I like the thrill of it all. But the hunt goes on for way too long imo.

Then once you get to your goal, instead of it being a huge bang, it's more of a whimper. But not so much because of the way it ends, but why it ends the way it does. It's tough to explain without you actually seeing it yourself.

But that's just how I felt, I still liked it, though if somehow it could be shortened, I'd like it a lot more I think.

tiff

Banned
Maxrunner said:
If it weren't for Rockstar being the publisher I don't think anyone would even be bringing up GTA in this thread. The similarities begin and end with the open world setting.

Well, the goofy side missions come kinda close too I guess.

JonCha

The English Conquistador said:
Then once you get to your goal, instead of it being a huge bang, it's more of a whimper. But not so much because of the way it ends, but why it ends the way it does. It's tough to explain without you actually seeing it yourself.

But that's just how I felt, I still liked it, though if somehow it could be shortened, I'd like it a lot more I think.

The ending was pretty tense IMO, especially the final section.

Dries

Also wondering: are there any cases in the Hollywood area? I desperately want to explore that area with a case. Maybe answer in spoiler tags? Just yes or no ;p

Man, just finished the Homicide desk. Frustrations and plot spoilers ahead:

During the interrogation I noticed the bartender was lying to me, for seemingly no reason. I thought he was being honest. He disappears and isn't seen again until the final act.

The clues for following cases get increasingly obvious and it's clear they're being framed. And at one point one of the bartenders even note there was an agency guy helping him serve drinks the night a murder happened.

So I'm going through each case and I know these guys didn't do it, and it's ruining my questions. I know they're telling the truth, but, you have to nail them to the cross for the game's story's sake.

And then I get to the final act and what to do you know, it's the bartender I thought it was all along. Talk about an anti-climactic ending.

This is frustrating to me because it caused me to get horrible scores in interviews because I knew all along that something was fishy and was playing my gut rather than the game.

JonCha said:
The ending was pretty tense IMO, especially the final section.

To be honest, the chase
through the catacombs
was intense, but the lead up to it just got kinda tedious.

I liked actually finding the guy, and seeing all the kinda sick stuff he had plastered all around his little "home". It reminded me of something out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. But other than that I thought it kinda dropped the ball. The lead up seemed to take forever, and the last part, where you're told that he's the brother of someone high up? That just seemed to shit on the whole case. I was expecting a twist, but not that like that. :/

I still liked aspects of homicides ending, I just could've done with a shorter and more to the point version of it.

dope4goldrope said:
Man, just finished the Homicide desk. Frustrations and plot spoilers ahead:

During the interrogation I noticed the bartender was lying to me, for seemingly no reason. I thought he was being honest. He disappears and isn't seen again until the final act.

The clues for following cases get increasingly obvious and it's clear they're being framed. And at one point one of the bartenders even note there was an agency guy helping him serve drinks the night a murder happened.

So I'm going through each case and I know these guys didn't do it, and it's ruining my questions. I know they're telling the truth, but, you have to nail them to the cross for the game's story's sake.

And then I get to the final act and what to do you know, it's the bartender I thought it was all along. Talk about an anti-climactic ending.

This is frustrating to me because it caused me to get horrible scores in interviews because I knew all along that something was fishy and was playing my gut rather than the game.

Something to add, although it is spoiler stuff more towards the end of the game...

LATE GAME SPOILERS

The exact same thing happens in the Arson desk, and if you've been reading the newspapers it makes much of that desk an exercise in extreme frustration.

I'm just on the
White Shoe
case and I'm starting to get more of these apparently fishy 'doubt' answers.

I doubted him on the first question because I didn't think I had the evidence (which, as it turns out, was some fucking
rope
, and Cole jumps down his throw and accuses him of murdering his wife! I get a
'Fuck you'
and then the next moment he's nice as pie.

Really jarring sometimes. Having only one right answer to choose from is irritating. They should have made it possible to work your way around your answers. It just feels like you can't, as a lot of you have said, go with your gut. Even if you have the right answer, you have to do it in a way the game says is right.

Coming towards what I think is the last homicide case, and I've got one glaring issue with the cases so far:

All of the homicide cases have been related to the Black Dahlia killer, or at the very least copycats/related. I understood they wanted an overarching storyline during these cases, but more variety in the scenarios would have been nice. I felt like I was going through the motions near the end of the case, hell, the characters even comment on the similarity between cases. A bit annoying after the few traffic desk cases were all relatively diverse.

MarshMellow96 said:
I'm just on the
White Shoe
case and I'm starting to get more of these apparently fishy 'doubt' answers.

I doubted him on the first question because I didn't think I had the evidence (which, as it turns out, was some fucking
rope
, and Cole jumps down his throw and accuses him of murdering his wife! I get a
'Fuck you'
and then the next moment he's nice as pie.

Really jarring sometimes. Having only one right answer to choose from is irritating. They should have made it possible to work your way around your answers. It just feels like you can't, as a lot of you have said, go with your gut. Even if you have the right answer, you have to do it in a way the game says is right.

Yup, that seems to be an issue throughout the game it seems, it's very frustrating. I find myself saying "fuck sake" out loud every time I doubt the wrong suspect and Cole goes on his rant. Then everything is forgotten a moment later.

The game is stellar, but these little niggles definitely detract from the experience in terms of immersing the player. And while most games has these issues, I think it's a lot more noticeable since the game has a lot of character interaction, probably more so than any game around. So when these lifelike characters behave in such a way that shatters the illusion, the issues seem a lot more amplified.

Do you guys get intuition points often? I never seem to get them..

I think what would help also, is if you could get people to repeat what they've said. I've lost count of how many times I've wanted to hear what the suspect said again so I could scrutinise what they've said further. Could he not make a note of what they'd said in his book?

I've just gone to the
hobo camp
twice. The first time I look around, there's nothing; the next time I go there, there's evidence. Why can't I stumble across that evidence earlier?

God this game is frustrating.

MarshMellow96 said:

I think what would help also, is if you could get people to repeat what they've said. I've lost count of how many times I've wanted to hear what the suspect said again so I could scrutinise what they've said further. Could he not make a note of what they'd said in his book?

If you press start during interrogations it brings up a transcript of whats been said.

MarshMellow96 said:

I seemed to get some from the side missions (street crimes), and from time to time you'll receive them when doing well during a case. But yeah, at first I had quite a few, then through homicide I barely ever had any. And conversations where it's often guess work, get annoying quite fast.

Lol, I sound like I hate this game. Totally not the case, I think its fantastic, and completely unique, but those things definitely get more noticeable as the game goes on.

Edit: Marvellous display pic btw. Edward James Olmos in Battlestar, absolute essence of bad-assery!

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
If you press start during interrogations it brings up a transcript of whats been said.

Dammit...

EDIT: Since when does 'doubt' mean
'You hate women?'
. I try truth the first time and fail because Phelps doesn't pursue the face that
Ackerman admits to killing people
. Grr.

EDIT 2: I end up getting to where I wanted to be in a roundabout way. Sigh...

Thanks, English. I figured his character in Blade Runner was called Gaff, so I put the two together..

Finally got this last night. I'm only on the second Traffic case right now but I love it so far. Reading the non-spoilered stuff in the thread, I'm kind of sad to see that the interrogation gets tiresome. So far I've screwed up a few questionings but it hasn't had any impact on the overall case. I guess as you progress a failed interrogation hurts you a lot more. At least twice, though, I've hit Doubt then immediately went "Shit! I had evidence!" I think I need to not hurry through the questioning as much.

I'm hoping the final case has something to do with the newspapers lying around. I'm not expecting a super-duper conspiracy that goes across every case you solve, but I'd like for the final case or cases to be on a Phoenix Wright finale level of awesomeness.

Maxrunner

Atruvius said:
This is way different than GTAIV. Story and missions feel more linear. There isn't that much filler missions and you automatically go to the next mission after finishing the current one. Game is also much more serious and you cannot fool around in the world almost at all. OF course ypu have to drive around the city to get to you objectives, but you can also skip those by letting your partner drive.

You should be ok to buy this!

I kinda liked the crime scene interactions i saw at a local shop demo...

The English Conquistador said:
The game is stellar, but these little niggles definitely detract from the experience in terms of immersing the player. And while most games has these issues, I think it's a lot more noticeable since the game has a lot of character interaction, probably more so than any game around. So when these lifelike characters behave in such a way that shatters the illusion, the issues seem a lot more amplified.

was thinking of making a topic on this. i've always found pure fantasy games, or even just games with fantasy elements, more easy to get lost in than reality-based games for this very reason: if you buy whatever the premise is, you can usually blow past just about any discrepancies (how do airships fly? why does everyone speak the same language?) by attributing it to the fact that the whole thing's bogus as is, & proceed to just go along for the ride. but games like heavy rain & l.a. noire? - the discrepancies can sometimes be really jarring, to the point of demolishing the credibility of the aspects that were working well...

which basically, & despite these games efforts to make you believe otherwise, leaves you playing a 'fantasy' game that simply features more subtle fantasy elements than a more traditional one. which is how i've always felt about the yakuza series, with the major difference being that those games, unlike the other 2, more or less acknowledge that that's what they are, so that 'jarring' problem's covered from the get-go...

A lot of people seem to having trouble with the doubt vs. lie thing.

Doubt and Lie:

Doubt is when it is a lie but you have no evidence to suggest otherswise. You can tell a doubt through body language for the most part...shifting eyes etc. Sometimes tone of voice gives it away as well.

Lie: You have evidence to contradict what he is saying.

It took me to about half way through homicide to get into the groove of things. When I detect standoffish body language/tones of voice, I check my evidence. If there is nothing there to contradict, I choose doubt. I would say this works about 98% of the time.

Laguage: Truth is often times detectable in voice. Truth sounds like a statement, POI keeps eyecontact with you. Will use direct words ---"Oh yeah, she came in here around nine and left at ten thirty" ---statement sounds factual.

Lies/Doubt - Will often times sound defensive or unsure. Statements are vague. Will use indirect language, breaks eye contact throughout or at end of statement ---"She was in here, I don't know...at like nine or something. Left sometime after that"---Statement sounds made up on the spot.

Again, works for me about 98% of the time.

fastford58 said:
Lies/Doubt - Will often times sound defensive or unsure. Statements are vague. Will use indirect language, breaks eye contact throughout or at end of statement ---"She was in here, I don't know...at like nine or something. Left sometime after that"---Statement sounds made up on the spot.

I just did this and got it wrong.

I got TELL ME WHERE YOU HID HER HEAD instead.

tiff

Banned
Most of the time I don't have a problem with the interrogation system, as goofy as it is, but I did White Shoe Murder last night and
for the life of me I couldn't get one thing right with that bowling alley guy right.

semiconscious said:
was thinking of making a topic on this. i've always found pure fantasy games, or even just games with fantasy elements, more easy to get lost in than reality-based games for this very reason: if you buy whatever the premise is, you can usually blow past just about any discrepancies (how do airships fly? why does everyone speak the same language?) by attributing it to the fact that the whole thing's bogus as is, & proceed to just go along for the ride. but games like heavy rain & l.a. noire? - the discrepancies can sometimes be really jarring, to the point of demolishing the credibility of the aspects that were working well...

which basically, & despite these games efforts to make you believe otherwise, leaves you playing a 'fantasy' game that simply features more subtle fantasy elements than a more traditional one. which is how i've always felt about the yakuza series, with the major difference being that those games, unlike the other 2, more or less acknowledge that that's what they are, so that 'jarring' problem's covered from the get-go...

Absolutely, games like Heavy Rain and LA Noire are basically held up by the way the characters act and behave. To have them act in a way that tells the brain that it feels "off" completely undersells the experience.

Like in RDR, I believe them ALL the time. The facial animation in that game is probably my favourite, and while it's not as "realistic" as it can be in LA Noire, it's always believable to me. How Rockstar did it, I don't know, but I would always prefer that kind of animation that never takes me out of the experience, and looks less life-like than one that does and often gets struck with the jank syndrome. :/

By MarshMellow96 "Thanks, English. I figured his character in Blade Runner was called Gaff, so I put the two together.."

Aha nice, yeah he's a cool character in that too, even though he doesn't say a great deal. I remember being shocked that it was the same actor. He looks completely different, younger of course but totally different. :)

Btw how do I multi-quote? I'm a new poster. -_- Thanks!

Dries

Just finished ''The golden butterfly''. Thought it was kind of a weird case, cause I wasn't 100% sure of both suspects, but had to put one behind bars anyway. But I think I can see where this homicide desk is going....

Top Bottom