• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

TheHeretic said:
No, it isn't, because it inverts the relationship between action sequences and what are typically designed as mini games and dialog trees.

Therein lies some valid criticisms, though. Even really good games, and I'm not saying this isn't one of those, shouldn't be immune to valid criticism. You hit the nail on the head, in that L.A. Noire inverts the typical staples of what we expect from games. The criticism I have is when you set out to do what LA Noire did, namely choose to focus gameplay primarily on evidence collection and interrogation, both of those mechanics better be solid. I think they nailed the evidence collection part and crime scene investigation part, but the dialogue system is, at best, interesting but flawed. I hate to say this, but a dialogue-wheel would have been better.

It's like, say GTA4, a game people loved that has mechanics focused largely on driving and shooting, yet many people were critical of how the cars handled and the shooting/cover mechanics in that game.

tiff said:
The problem with homicide
isn't so much the concept, but the execution. If the player had the same feeling about the connection between murders as Cole does (a simple suspicion), then it may have worked, but it's plainly obvious what the real story is. Yet the player is forced along for the ride, not for an organic reason that could be explained within the game's universe, but simply because the game won't let him. It's not a failure on the part of the player, it's a failure on the part of the writing, and on Cole Phelps as a conduit between the player and the game.

LA Noire might rethink how video games are presented, but it certainly doesn't rethink how they are played. It's very much a standard video game in that regard.

More Homicide Spoilers:

But I would argue that even in real life you're forced to close these cases with the most reasonable suspect. I do not believe that even if the detective on real 1940s LA suspected that there was a connection between the murders, the department would not let him go on what they would believe to be a ghost chase after the BD.

What would be the alternative? Leave 5 open cases hanging while cole chases after the BD? With suspects already spotted? No police department would be cool with that 1940s or recent.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Question for the Case "A Walk In Elysium Fields" at the Arson desk.

So I'm playing the case and I get to the house with the charred bodies. Nasty stuff, by the way. Every time I go to interrogate the neighbor it closes out my options after the third one, where I ask about the company running the free vacation promotions and Dudley gets all angry with me. I read online though that once you get all of those questions correct, he'll open up another conversation branch, eventually leading you to get an origami figure.

Is there some requirement in terms of evidence picked up that I'm not meeting in order to get that branch? Because right now I can't do anything else in the game and I've restarted the mission multiple times, and each time I cannot continue talking with him after the third piece of convo, regardless of whether I pass the checks or not.

Anyone else have this problem? Is it a glitch? Do I just suck at life?

pvpness

Meus Renaissance said:
Thanks for the impressions. I'm not a big story in video games guy but I'll suffer through them if they've got great gameplay to round it out. Pity about this one as I'm reading lots of stuff that says the gameplay is either lackluster or non-existent. Onward to gamefly.

laika09

whytemyke said:
Question for the Case "A Walk In Elysium Fields" at the Arson desk.

So I'm playing the case and I get to the house with the charred bodies. Nasty stuff, by the way. Every time I go to interrogate the neighbor it closes out my options after the third one, where I ask about the company running the free vacation promotions and Dudley gets all angry with me. I read online though that once you get all of those questions correct, he'll open up another conversation branch, eventually leading you to get an origami figure.

Is there some requirement in terms of evidence picked up that I'm not meeting in order to get that branch? Because right now I can't do anything else in the game and I've restarted the mission multiple times, and each time I cannot continue talking with him after the third piece of convo, regardless of whether I pass the checks or not.

Anyone else have this problem? Is it a glitch? Do I just suck at life?

Cigarette butts and bootprints in the neighbor's yard.

pvpness said:
Thanks for the impressions. I'm not a big story in video games guy but I'll suffer through them if they've got great gameplay to round it out. Pity about this one as I'm reading lots of stuff that says the gameplay is either lackluster or non-existent. Onward to gamefly.

The question of gameplay is difficult to actually define in a game of this context, where it is essentially solving crimes through evidence you find. The mechanics behind this are; the shooting, the driving, the evidence gathering and interrogation - all of which have several valid complaints, many of which are serious drawbacks. The 'game' in that sense is very flawed. I think what is saving it from universal condemnation is the facial animation and cinematic presentation. It was a thoroughly forgettable experience in the whole though

pvpness

Meus Renaissance said:
The question of gameplay is difficult to actually define in a game of this context, where it is essentially solving crimes through evidence you find. The mechanics behind this are; the shooting, the driving, the evidence gathering and interrogation - all of which have several valid complaints, many of which are serious drawbacks. The 'game' in that sense is very flawed. I think what is saving it from universal condemnation is the facial animation and cinematic presentation. It was a thoroughly forgettable experience in the whole though
That's exactly what it's seemed like to me and while awesome facial animation and a stellar cinematic presentation are super cool ingredients, they can't be the main focus for me. Nonetheless I can't take reviews as gospel so I'll give it a rent and find out for myself.

Meus Renaissance said:
I got the game earlier than most after paying £50 for the privilege.

Spoiler-Free Review

The environment/setting

1. I think by now the presumption this to be an open world game has been concluded to be nothing but a misconception. In reality, for all the scope, detail and authenticity of the city, it feels like a prop of a static background more suited, ironically, for a Hollywood set than it being a reflection of a living urban environment. 2. There is no interaction involved save the ability to occasionally bump it lamp posts or benches because of the poor driving controls. 95% of the discussion you hear on the rare moments you step outside your automobile is essentially "Look, it's that cop from the papers". There is no chatter or sign of life. The hot dog stands we saw in GTA IV make a return but3. surprisingly you can't interact with them either.

4. At the beginning of the game, it's noted that you can enter buildings with golden handles but in reality you can only enter buildings relating to the actual case, whether it be a store or motel you had interview someone in. Unlike previous Rockstar iterations, you can't shop for inventory - the buildings, of which rarely catch your interest outside the landmarks, are effectively a background. And the ones I mentioned you could enter? Their only purpose is to interview a character - you can't actually interact with anything inside them. 5. From a design perspective, I'm curious as to why Team Bondi failed to take advantage of this by i.e. requiring players to improve their fitness (for the countless on-foot chase scenes); perhaps access to a Gym with mini-games that improve your stamina? Heck, why not require the player to eat once in a while for the same reason?

The vehicles that populate the streets are forgettable and appear, outside detailed study of the trunk, to feature 5 different models. Sometimes, you'll want to try to immerse yourself into the setting by changing cars. Even though they will stop, they will only do so if you walk directly in front of them. You can't call a cab, or call for a car to stop - you have to get next to the window, and this will see you often chasing a car just to be able to get behind its wheel. Being LA, the weather rarely varies. In fact, the night-day transitions rarely vary unless you're actively searching around the map for a landmark or a film reel; these weather transitions are uncommon within the actual story though. In the 20 hours it took me to complete the game, it rained twice in open play and twice in cinematics. So, being outside - in this large city, is pretty pointless. The driving is clumsy and there is nothing visually interesting to look at; 7. a complete contrast to the free roam abilities you have in Red Dead or Grand Theft Auto IV; remember speeding in a motorcycle on a wet highway during rain and being chased by cops? Yeah, well I hope you enjoy watching rail cars because that's the height of the excitement you'll have, unless its a scripted chase sequence that lasts a few blocks and ends in the predictable arrest after the repetitive tactic of bumping it off course. Arguably there was more atmosphere in a fire camp in RDR than what I experienced in the entire LA. I'm left genuinely baffled by those who actually enjoyed the environment.

The investigation/interrogation

This is the bread and butter of the game. Unfortunately, for 14 straight cases, you're first phase of the investigation involves crime scenes the size of your toilet. The police mark out the vicinity around the scene, leaving a small space where clues are placed. You find them quite easily enough, even without the vibration helping you. After those 2 minutes of searching, you are directed to the conveniently placed telephone - which always seems to be directly next to the body or vehicle. You call, the same lady picks up, and she gives you an address. You ask the suspect 3 or 4 pre-defined questions, and judging by whether or not their eyes lean left or right, it is a cue to press either Doubt or Lie; the latter being a lie when you found evidence that contradicts their statement. Investigation done. You are then directed to another crime scene - same tune, walk around for a few seconds, stumble across the oddly placed object, ask them the pre-set question and respond to the cue.

6.5 - 7 out of 10

1. The game was never presented as an open world game. It's an adventure game. Was and is.

2. Like I said before. I don't understand how is this different than a representation of 1940s LA. All representation of this era in LA that I have seen so far show's nothing different. People don't act crazy.

3. You don't have a health system. You are complaining that you can't buy hotdogs? really? what purpose does it serve?

4. Why would Team Bondi spend resources in creating more geometry that is not going to be used? The city serves as a background and besides points of interest. Why a police detective would go around the city shopping? What kind of inventory does a police detective need? Besides his service pistol? You wanted him buying UZIs and assault weapons? Bullet proof jackets? Explain to me.

5. You have a case at hand, and you want to spend time on the GYM doing mini-games to run faster? This is the kind of thing that break the illusion of the setting. Why would they want to do that?

6. Where there that many variety on Cars on that era?

7. This is not a free roam game like GTA or RDR.. is an adventure game. I don't think the police had motorcycles on that era. For an adventure game this game has more action than all the traditional adventure games combined.

Clunker said:
Is it, though? Or is it a game more concerned about simply "solvin' cases"? ;)

if everything including
rusty just planting bloody tire irons on everyone
fits your description,
then what, exactly, is my character accomplishing, investigatively, aside from wasting his time in pointless conversations with dirtbags, & having his nose rubbed in the hard reality of police corruption?...

are you implying the bulk of l.a. noire's innovative gameplay's nothing but a distracting exercise that could just as easily be eliminated by having cole simply planting evidence on someone, that that's 'the joke', that it's all just a corrupt cesspit where your 'investigations' mean shit, & that the whole game's played you for a sap? & that the gamer's supposed to walk away form the whole thing sorta dazed, awed, & shaking his head, now sadder but wiser?...

i don't know, dude. i'm thinking that's a pretty desperate stretch :) . tho i do agree
there're definitely a few people walking away from this game shaking their heads, now sadder but wiser :) ...

Clunker

Joe Shlabotnik said:
This is certainly an interesting conversation, Clunker, but I just don't think the intent here was to produce the kind of bold anti-game statements you're applying to it.

The game is all over the map in how the player is supposed to relate to Cole. If we're supposed to feel frustrated at the department's "expediency", then it should be reflected through Cole's frustration. If the game is being bolder about it and we're supposed to get angry at Cole, then he should be even more blatantly ambitious than he already is. Instead Cole manages to be both a by-the-book straight arrow and a promotion-obsessed semi-jerk. He has his nagging doubts about the copycat Dahlia slayings. He is annoyed when the real story is swept under the rug. But only kinda sorta! The game plants these seeds of moral conflict that Cole never really addresses, and it seems more like the game is just tripping over its own narrative rather than asking difficult questions of us.

You can have an anti-hero as the main character in a video game (obviously, that's like 90% of "mature" video games these days), but that's not what Cole is. He's a slightly jerky protagonist who literally doesn't do what the player wants sometimes, and that's a whole other level of artifice that doesn't really work in a game.
It's very possible, and I'm trying not to sound like an apologist. :) I guess I'm more of a post-Structuralist; the specific intent doesn't really concern me, so much as how I've been interpreting the experience. The game is clicking for me a lot right now, but I might feel differently if the rest of the game's cases undermine what I'm feeling.

Currently the impression I get is that Cole is visibly agita over the Homicide desk chief cockblocking his attempts to publicly unmask the Dahlia Killer, but he also sees a pragmatic sensibility in not losing his job and just trying to do right with the tools he has at hand. I'm not seeing as much of the self-absorbed Cole as other people are. I do think that the game would have felt a lot stronger if, instead of the chief telling Cole he was "promoted" to Vice, it was more strongly implied that he was being "reassigned" (read: demoted) as a result of his attempts to run counter to the chief and try to blow the lid off the BD killings. I had a little whiff of this, since right at the top of the first Vice case Cole says something to Roy along the lines of "I thought Homicide was the primo position, what's the big deal with Vice?" The transitions between cases could definitely use some softening, as they feel really jarring, and need something more than a quick fade-in/fade-out or a blunt "SIX MONTHS LATER" title card.

tiff said:
LA Noire might rethink how video games are presented, but it certainly doesn't rethink how they are played. It's very much a standard video game in that regard.
This has always been something that's bugged me about adventure games; I like them, but they really cause too much friction at the "game" definition, or at times elements of game-ness just end up getting in the way/working against what the non-game part is trying to accomplish. It's the main problem that happens when games try to take cues from movies -- do it too much and there's not enough "game" in there, but do it too little and then you just kind of undo what you're trying to establish. I don't know if it's ever fully reconcilable, but L.A. Noire definitely doesn't do much to try to solve it.

The street crimes feel like pandering to the existing GTA crowd that wants to shoot dudes in faces, to the point where it works against the mood of the game. It doesn't help that the gunplay controls are pretty ass and almost everything is mapped to those flaccid PS3 triggers. I like the chase sequences, but I've just stopped doing the side missions, and I have no desire to find the hidden vehicles/film reels/agility orbs/pigeons/bafmodads.

I was wondering if anybody knows if this can play out differently. I don't really know if people would consider this a spoiler, but I'll use the tags just in case. This is in regards to what happens when you're chasing somebody with a gun.
When you're chasing somebody and he manages to get a hostage and hold them at gunpoint, is it possible to shoot and disarm the gunman? I've tried to aim for the arm with the gun, but I always seem to kill the guys. Based off the vibe of this game, I just feel that it makes sense that you would want to disarm and arrest somebody rather than kill them.
Sorry if it's a stupid question. The little snippets of text that pop up in the top left hand corner go away faster than I can read them, so I don't know if my question was answered there at any one point.

One thing I love is that the street crimes are some of the most hilarious things in gaming, like the
weird masked guy just randomly shooting guns on the roof or that old guy threatening his cheating girlfriend with a gun.
Most of them are pretty absurd and it is hilarious how they always break down into the most violent possible scenarios.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
monkspider said:
One thing I love is that the street crimes are some of the most hilarious things in gaming, like the
weird masked guy just randomly shooting guns on the roof or that old guy threatening his cheating girlfriend with a gun.
Most of them are pretty absurd and it is hilarious how they always break down into the most violent possible scenarios.

Speaking of these, in "Would Be Robbery" is the victim
the origami killer from heavy rain?
I know both games employed actual actors and it does look like him.

Lord-Audie said:
1. The game was never presented as an open world game. It's an adventure game. Was and is.

I think some, especially those who avoided TB interviews discussing the title, adopted the perception that references to "capturing LA" in a large city map was a translation of 'open world'. The argument being that Rockstar's previous recent releases have had such an emphasis on trying to offer it, or elements of open world, that it would be no different in a newer title where there was such emphasis on the environment.

The point about Action Adventure and its relationship with open world environments is subjective purely because - outside full fledged RPG's - there isn't a black and white definition of what constitutes as open world. Let me give you an example: Both Grand Theft Auto IV and Red Dead Redemption are also classed as Action Adventure games and games that feature 'open worlds'. Whilst you cannot interact with every building, there are some you can. And whilst you could not interact with every physical object, you could in some e.g. using your weapons in the open environment, separate from the actual missions. That level of interaction justified the tag 'open world' for those titles. It's fair to say I and others expected something similar with this. If we look at another title that is defined on the size of its environment, and is also an Action Adventure game in Assassins Creed, we see several levels of interactivity that justify at least the claim of it being open world. So my point being, if you had told me LA Noire was an Action Adventure game, that doesn't necessarily therefore negate any expectation/hope that we would see an open world. Then again, like I said, I understand that what constitutes as open world can be subjective.

2. Like I said before. I don't understand how is this different than a representation of 1940s LA. All representation of this era in LA that I have seen so far show's nothing different. People don't act crazy.
I think I hinted on this with the above. Just because it's LA doesn't mean you cant interact with the physical environment beyond driving a vehicle. There was nothing to impede the developers, because of what city it was, to include e.g. buildings you could enter and interact with for a purpose. It would make sense from a design perspective, especially if you are going to invest so much time in creating a large city. Gamers aren't going to remember the sheer scope of the city if their only perspective of it is essentially limited to a seat in a car. For example, I don't remember how long it took me to get from one side of Liberty City to the other, or how many buildings there were, or how those buildings looked like; I remember blowing up objects in it though, I remember choosing my weapon and ammo and flying above it, looking for a food stand and I remember working out my stamina.

3. You don't have a health system. You are complaining that you can't buy hotdogs? really? what purpose does it serve?

My complaint was that there isn't a purpose to the city in the game beyond driving from crime scene to crime scene. There is no incentive to stop and get out of the car. The idea of food was a suggestion, considering the amount of running you do.

4. Why would Team Bondi spend resources in creating more geometry that is not going to be used? The city serves as a background and besides points of interest. Why a police detective would go around the city shopping? What kind of inventory does a police detective need? Besides his service pistol? You wanted him buying UZIs and assault weapons? Bullet proof jackets? Explain to me.

I think you misunderstood. The fundamental criticism of the city I have is that there is nothing in there that can be used, despite the time and effort Team Bondi put into it. How authentic the recreation is not relevant to me as a gamer. I want to play in the city. The golden handle example is something that I remembered in hindsight, because when you first see that note on your screen, it echoes 'you can't enter every building'. In truth, you can't enter any building other than the ones you are directed to. Well, no one expects you to be able to every door in the game - I'm sure many, however, interpreted that as to mean 'you can enter the ones with the gold handles'. If that makes sense?

Where there that many variety on Cars on that era?

That's a question for Team Bondi - they chose the era for a reason. The appearance and handling of the cars are often hard to distinguish. Perhaps that is a true reflection of the era, but from a gameplay perspective, it blows. Why they chose the era irrespective is a question for them.

eXistor

Meus Renaissance said:

Spoiler-Free Review
No offense, but I think you might have fallen in the same trap so many others have. LA Noire is completely different from both GTA and RDR. I would be disappointed too if I came into the game expecting it to be a different game than it really is. Most of the complaints you have are in direct comparison to said games. If you judged it on its own merits I don't think anyone can be too let down by the game. I certainly don't think the game is perfect, far from it, but this is a completely new i.p. and they're doing their best to make it a completely new experience and for the most part I think they succeeded.

Meus Renaissance said:
I've been fortunate enough to be great games this generation, but this is possibly one of the worst I've personally played.

6.5 - 7 out of 10

I really agree with this. I was extremely disappointed with this game, and the more I played it I realized how BAD it truly was. I never expected this to be a game I would actually think was terrible, or one of the worst I've played. Especially given the huge budget and resources at their disposal. The flashbacks to Cole's military life were cringe worthy. Just awful, awful writing.

There definitely was potential in this game, HUGE potential, but it was never taken advantage of. They should have focused on making a good game first, and then work on facial technology, and recreating the entire 1947 LA. The open world, while recreated pretty well, was pointless. I think this game could have used an extra year of development time and blown everyone away.

I think the only truly good part of this game, where I have no complaints, is the music.

eXistor said:
No offense, but I think you might have fallen in the same trap so many others have. LA Noire is completely different from both GTA and RDR. I would be disappointed too if I came into the game expecting it to be a different game than it really is. Most of the complaints you have are in direct comparison to said games. If you judged it on its own merits I don't think anyone can be too let down by the game. I certainly don't think the game is perfect, far from it, but this is a completely new i.p. and they're doing their best to make it a completely new experience and for the most part I think they succeeded.

I agree that my expectations differed to what the game offered. But aside from my complaints about the City and the question of open world, the cases and structure of them for the vast majority were uninteresting. If you can't be intrigued by a crime detective game, or you work out who the suspects are/are not before the protagonist, then what is there? However I did really enjoy the Arson desk and the
conspiracy involving the media, finance and police
. There are 21 cases but you'd be hard pressed, I think, to remember a few of them. What I would liked to have seen in hindsight are just a handful of cases with long story arcs that span throughout the game, and perhaps each separate cases can merge at the end - sort of something you see in crime dramas on television.

hamchan

Meus Renaissance said:

Spoiler-Free Review
I've been fortunate enough to be great games this generation, but this is possibly one of the worst I've personally played.

6.5 - 7 out of 10

You're using the IGN scale I see!

Re: Homicide

I think I could accept the idea that you have to compromise the gameplay a little bit in order to serve the story, if the most fun part of the game wasn't the thing that was compromised. Or that it didn't stretch out for so long.

I could accept that they did this because it's "realistic" (cops wanting to bust someone even if it's the wrong person) if I wasn't constantly bumping up against the limitations of the investigative/interrogation system. When you see a thread running through the cases that the game won't allow you to follow (in this case, the temp bartender that you only interview once and can't ever interview again because the game won't let you again for obvious reasons) it is quite frustrating.

I can understand it as a limit to the system and as a way of serving the story, but this obvious gating off of interrogation angles combined with a lack of satisfaction from the investigations due to knowing in advance that neither is the killer and thus having an unsatisfactory result makes it pretty bad.

I didn't hate this part of the game, but I ultimately found it sub-par due to these reasons I think.

eXistor said:

i'm with this dude

People seem to have a hard time distinguishing between an Open World (which LA Noire is) and a Sandbox (which LA Noire is NOT). There are varying levels of free roaming experiences, and it just so happens that LA Noire is not of the sandbox ilk. This is an open world, not a playground.

tiff

Banned
TheHeretic said:
No, it isn't, because it inverts the relationship between action sequences and what are typically designed as mini games and dialog trees.
Huh? I guess if we're only talking big budget console blockbusters...

Lord-Audie said:
More Homicide Spoilers:

But I would argue that even in real life you're forced to close these cases with the most reasonable suspect. I do not believe that even if the detective on real 1940s LA suspected that there was a connection between the murders, the department would not let him go on what they would believe to be a ghost chase after the BD.

What would be the alternative? Leave 5 open cases hanging while cole chases after the BD? With suspects already spotted? No police department would be cool with that 1940s or recent.
Of course it makes sense, which is why I said it didn't fail as a concept. The problem is that a lot of this is rationalizing after the fact; the game communicates this pretty poorly. The player likely has an inclination to at least press the matter with the chief, but all that really happens is a few guys talk about how suspicious it is, and the chief just tells everyone to stick to the case at hand. The player's hands are completely tied, lacking the ability to even object to this. Obviously the whole point is that procedure and bureaucracy can get in the way of actually solving the mystery, but the game makes it feel like you have to turn a blind eye to the truth simply because that's what the game itself wants. A story should never have things happen just for the sake of the narrative itself.

Grisby

Just to let everyone know I had a glitch on the 360 version where it kept saying I had a side case to complete on the 3rd disc. However, I had already completed this case yet it kept showing up on the map.

I did finish all of them though and got the achievement so its not really a glitch to worry about.

Forsete

Completed the game yesterday. What a great ride.

However, I sucked at the interrogation part. Mostly because I got confused by the Lie/Doubt thing at first. And it wasn't always clear what evidence the game wanted my to present. Sometimes I found that the description of the evidence in the notebook was a bit lacking (my memory tends to shorten when I have played through 3-4 cases in a row :p ).

Love the setting. Love the city (I am glad they went with the open world).

Give me the DLC now!

eXistor said:
I'll admit to having an initial disappointment after loving all that was RDR, but I knew this game was going for something different. I also loved Heavy Rain so I was fine with settling in for a game that was driven by story and characters more than action.

But... I judge the game mediocre on its own merits and on its gameplay. Driving isn't fun. The cars are too twitchy and oversensitive to turn in, and when you're at speed you're likely to careen off the road or slam into a car you didn't see off screen. You'll get maybe one line of dialogue from your partner on each ride so the majority of the trip will be just one dull ride in a (buggy) traffic simulator. When I ignored traffic laws I felt out of character, but when I tried to drive normally I'd often end up stuck at an intersection where the traffic ahead of me NEVER moved. I know the game "isn't about" driving but it makes a good third of your time in game if you don't skip them.

The combat is just as wonky. I've had no end to problems getting into and out of cover, and never managed to move from cover to cover effectively. Putting run and fire on the same button just makes things worse. The range of your weapons is feeble, and you can't disarm or disable enemies. I know the game "isn't about" shootouts, but it makes for a good third of your game time (including side missions) if you don't skip them.

The interrogations are either busted, or Bondi needs to put out a FAQ, because "Truth/Doubt/Lie" doesn't cut it. You sometimes need to doubt true statements, you can sometimes present evidence after calling a lie, even though you can't directly connect the subject to the evidence. There is an air of subjectivity and chance to the questioning, which is fine in a movie or TV show, but horrible in a game, where the player is being scored upon how well they understand and utilize the game's mechanics. Doing everything right and still failing (Golden Butterfly) just pours salt on the wounds.

The open world is gorgeous but non-interactive. You get into car chases and foot chases but those happen on rails, so the open world isn't taken advantage of. Free Roam is fine if you like the driving and shooting mechanics - but worthless otherwise.

Besides that I did like the face tech, the acting, some of the dialogue, and the mood set by the game. Investigating evidence with music cues is also handled well (I preferred to turn vibration off). But those are the only facets of the game that appeal to me at this point - just finished the second homicide case.

Short version: Don't blame the player, blame the game.

NullPointer said:
The interrogations are either busted, or Bondi needs to put out a FAQ, because "Truth/Doubt/Lie" doesn't cut it. You sometimes need to doubt true statements, you can sometimes present evidence after calling a lie, even though you can't directly connect the subject to the evidence. There is an air of subjectivity and chance to the questioning, which is fine in a movie or TV show, but horrible in a game, where the player is being scored upon how well they understand and utilize the game's mechanics. Doing everything right and still failing (Golden Butterfly) just pours salt on the wounds.

Who did you pick?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I think your mileage of enjoyment from LA Noire is dependent in what you expect from it. For me, I didn't expect LA to be a playground, I have no real need to interact with the city other than drive around, listening to jazz and checking out landmarks. Its a nicely done diarama, that since the game has enough various locations and points of interest in the story that the city isn't going to waste, at least to me. I'll admit that LA comes of as bland at first, but I'm now starting to familiarize my self with certain areas, I enjoy driving more.

The gamplay itself, is a glorified point click adventure game, which is what I expected and what I wanted it to be. I like poking around the various domiciles, finding the clues and wondering how they'll tie into the interrogation and case itself.

I've seen a lot of people complain that there's no way to fail these cases, thats true to a degree, but most likely if you did, you'd have to start over, and then just hit all the points you got wrong the first time. People would probably get tired of doing that anyway, so I'm not sure whats a better alternative. If you're talking about real reprocussions of failure, well video games in general don't do that well with that. What happened the last time you lost a race, or a gun battle, or didn't prevent the evil villain from using the super weapon? Did the story continue from that point and adjust itself accordingly or did you have to start over? You had to start over and do it all again. Sure it would be great if you blew a case and the culprit committed more crimes and you had to clean up the mess, but I think we're a good bit away from expecting that type of fluid story and gameplay. It'll be cool when it happens though.

Lord-Audie said:
Who did you pick?

In my case
neither, after two retries, as I never got enough evidence to convict either one. It always ended up with the husband making a run for it after being identified by the janitor. Cue car chase and crash. Husband gets convicted and I get screamed out by the boss.

I did check some walkthroughs though and notice you can convict either one. So say you get all the evidence and choose the husband? You still get chewed out by the captain.

You guys know my bestbuy still hasn't got the DLC codes they were suppose to have at the midnight release? They had us fill out a paper with name and number so they can call us. Its been a fucking week already. Everytime i call they always say they don't have it yet.

Well fuck them. I called consumer relations and their going to see what the fuck is going on.

StuBurns

Banned
Kung Fu Grip said:
You guys know my bestbuy still hasn't got the DLC codes they were suppose to have at the midnight release? They had us fill out a paper with name and number so they can call us. Its been a fucking week already. Everytime i call they always say they don't have it yet.

Well fuck them. I called consumer relations and their going to see what the fuck is going on.
For the DLC out in a month? What's the rush?

Tobor said:
I'm almost done with Vice, and I'm still having a great time. Seems like every complaint I'm reading in here is overblown or a case of lofty expectations, or both.
I agree. Everybody is entitled to their opinions though.

This reminds me of when I tried to get a friend into Red Dead. Red dead is by far one of the best games I"ve ever played and I told him that. He got it and tried to play it like Grand Theft Auto with horses and couldn't stand it. So every time he talked about it all he could say is "Well, I could do this is gta, so red dead sucks". It made me wonder what he expected after I told him how much I enjoyed the character of John Marston and the story and the overall atmosphere.

I think this really points to the pigeonholing that happens with Rockstar. I think a lot of people (not on this forum, but the general populace) expect every game that Rockstar makes to be GTA in some random setting. LA Noire is interesting, not without it's flaws, but a lot of people I've talked to personal seem to be mad that there's no grenade launcher and they can't go on a rampage. This is a game where you play a cop. Not a super cop, not some guy with super powers.

Maybe that's part of the issue too. Playing a regular cop is too mundane when we have other games where we can knock buildings over.

I expected LA Noire to be like a detective game where I play a cop and it hasn't disappointed me yet. I would have liked more of an overall arc in regards to the story, but I don't think that's probably realistic. We live in a world where TV shows and movies can have really elaborate plots that crisscross and have all kinds of crazy shit happen. This game doesn't really work like that. Maybe that's another failed expectation on some peoples' part.

With that being said, I'd LOVE to see a game styled like LA Noire where you go after a serial killer. Hell, they could make a Dexter game with the frame work of LA Noire and it would be fucking amazing.

StuBurns said:
For the DLC out in a month? What's the rush?
They were suppose to have it at the midnight release. Every other BB had their codes ready. And the way they're handling this make it seems like they're not getting it at all.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
RoninChaos said:
I agree. Everybody is entitled to their opinions though.

This reminds me of when I tried to get a friend into Red Dead. Red dead is by far one of the best games I"ve ever played and I told him that. He got it and tried to play it like Grand Theft Auto with horses and couldn't stand it. So every time he talked about it all he could say is "Well, I could do this is gta, so red dead sucks". It made me wonder what he expected after I told him how much I enjoyed the character of John Marston and the story and the overall atmosphere.

I think this really points to the pigeonholing that happens with Rockstar. I think a lot of people (not on this forum, but the general populace) expect every game that Rockstar makes to be GTA in some random setting. LA Noire is interesting, not without it's flaws, but a lot of people I've talked to personal seem to be mad that there's no grenade launcher and they can't go on a rampage. This is a game where you play a cop. Not a super cop, not some guy with super powers.

Maybe that's part of the issue too. Playing a regular cop is too mundane when we have other games where we can knock buildings over.

Part of it is people are expecting emergeant gameplay when there is none. Thats what people wanted with RDR as well. You have a pretty linear story and characters but its set in this world thats inviting you to explore, do what you want and see what happens. Only nothing happens cept kids getting disappointed.

I would've preferred a linear story driven game without the shooting or driving honestly. They could have kept the same setting and just used a mission based system without an open world.

But then the interrogations would need more depth and explanation.

For a game that's not about driving and shooting there sure is plenty of both.

Meus Renaissance said:
I agree that my expectations differed to what the game offered. But aside from my complaints about the City and the question of open world, the cases and structure of them for the vast majority were uninteresting. If you can't be intrigued by a crime detective game, or you work out who the suspects are/are not before the protagonist, then what is there? However I did really enjoy the Arson desk and the
conspiracy involving the media, finance and police
. There are 21 cases but you'd be hard pressed, I think, to remember a few of them. What I would liked to have seen in hindsight are just a handful of cases with long story arcs that span throughout the game, and perhaps each separate cases can merge at the end - sort of something you see in crime dramas on television.
I think you were expecting something because Rockstar's name was attached. I.E. an open world that really was designed to be explored like the GTA games, right?

I mentioned in another post I think since this was a detective game people were expecting some things to dovetail like a crime drama TV show and that seemed to disappoint people as well.

I assure you, there are worse games this generation. Sorry you were disapointed. I'm a little confused though, you'd give the worst game you've played this generation a 7? Really?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Kung Fu Grip said:
They were suppose to have it at the midnight release. Every other BB had their codes ready. And the way they're handling this make it seems like they're not getting it at all.

The sharpshooter codes?

truly101 said:
Part of it is people are expecting emergeant gameplay when there is none. Thats what people wanted with RDR as well. You have a pretty linear story and characters but its set in this world thats inviting you to explore, do what you want and see what happens. Only nothing happens cept kids getting disappointed.
I think it's a negative and a positive for rockstar. On one hand, they have a built in audience that expects these expansive places to create havoc. On the other hand, they have a built in audience that expects these expansive places to create havoc. This pigeonholes the company to a certain extent and I think that's a shame. As I mentioned previously, I had a friend who expected Red Dead to be GTA in the old west. That in itself is a cool concept, but that wasn't what Red Dead was. GTA IV had a significant portion of it that was story related and took the story route instead of going the route of something like Sand Andreas where you could do shit like rob stores.

I think Rockstar is shifting towards narrative in their games being a focal point rather than a world where you can fuck shit up that has a story attached to it. I personally like this. I get the feeling that a lot of folks don't and that sucks for Rockstar because Rockstar still has the balls to take a chance on a game like LA Noire. I would not have expected a game like LA Noire to be made this generation. So credit is due to rockstar for having the balls to publish this game. It just sucks that so many folks here don't seem to like it.

Of course, this isn't the first time I've seen this kind of thing here. Lords of Shadow seemed to create this same type of schism. People loved that game or fucking couldn't stand it.

burgervan

Just a random thought, but I'm surprised this game doesn't have any Move/Kinect functionality. It would be perfect for examining items and corpses.

I did absolutely love one thing though, and that was the radio in the car. One particular one involved a romantic comedy between a couple. The husband was a drinker. The wife was complaining about his alcoholism and he always responded back with some of the funniest wit I have ever heard.

Meus Renaissance said:
I did absolutely love one thing though, and that was the radio in the car. One particular one involved a romantic comedy between a couple. The husband was a drinker. The wife was complaining about his alcoholism and he always responded back with some of the funniest wit I have ever heard.
Can you change the station in the car? I've tried but all I ever get is music.

Clunker

To be fair, Rockstar was pretty obviously setting people up to expect this to be much more of a "GTA 1947" than "Dashiell Hammett's Phoenix Wright." Like, the preorder bonus for Phelps' suit with increased accuracy when shooting ... the game has weather many criticisms, but I don't think "poor accuracy in the gunplay" has been one of them. :p

I'm almost tempted to say "bait and switch," but I can't be too mad because it had the opposite result on me: I was completely writing off any discussion or commentary about this game until I accidentally heard that it was much more of an adventure game than an open-world sandbox kill-em-all, at which point it became much more interesting to me.

Top Bottom