• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

I just ranked up to 11 so I'm probably a ways behind all of you in terms of playing time. Haven't had the time as the g/f doesn't like it when I play my games around her so the only time I play it is when shes at work. Anyways, I freaking love this game. So far, this is my GOTY. The whole facial pattern thing is amazing. I really don't have anything bad to say about these games.

RoninChaos said:
I agree. Everybody is entitled to their opinions though.

This reminds me of when I tried to get a friend into Red Dead. Red dead is by far one of the best games I"ve ever played and I told him that. He got it and tried to play it like Grand Theft Auto with horses and couldn't stand it. So every time he talked about it all he could say is "Well, I could do this is gta, so red dead sucks". It made me wonder what he expected after I told him how much I enjoyed the character of John Marston and the story and the overall atmosphere.

I think this really points to the pigeonholing that happens with Rockstar. I think a lot of people (not on this forum, but the general populace) expect every game that Rockstar makes to be GTA in some random setting. LA Noire is interesting, not without it's flaws, but a lot of people I've talked to personal seem to be mad that there's no grenade launcher and they can't go on a rampage. This is a game where you play a cop. Not a super cop, not some guy with super powers.

Maybe that's part of the issue too. Playing a regular cop is too mundane when we have other games where we can knock buildings over.

I expected LA Noire to be like a detective game where I play a cop and it hasn't disappointed me yet. I would have liked more of an overall arc in regards to the story, but I don't think that's probably realistic. We live in a world where TV shows and movies can have really elaborate plots that crisscross and have all kinds of crazy shit happen. This game doesn't really work like that. Maybe that's another failed expectation on some peoples' part.

With that being said, I'd LOVE to see a game styled like LA Noire where you go after a serial killer. Hell, they could make a Dexter game with the frame work of LA Noire and it would be fucking amazing.

I agree with you. Every time I talk about Red Dead or some other game I'm hyping to my friends, they go in expecting it to be just like GTA because thats what Rockstar is famous for. For me, Red Dead is my favorite game of all-time just because of the character of John Marston and his progression throughout the whole game. People can't seem to grasp that.

RoninChaos said:
I think you were expecting something because Rockstar's name was attached. I.E. an open world that really was designed to be explored like the GTA games, right?

I mentioned in another post I think since this was a detective game people were expecting some things to dovetail like a crime drama TV show and that seemed to disappoint people as well.

I assure you, there are worse games this generation. Sorry you were disapointed. I'm a little confused though, you'd give the worst game you've played this generation a 7? Really?

Aside from expectations based on comparisons, the game at it's core wasn't appealing to me outside the Arson Desk. Originally, I said it was too repetitive, then again I remember RDR and GTA IV being repetitive at times as well. The difference I realised was that in those latter examples, you could divert away from the main story arc and come back to it.

Aside from sports and Arcade games, this is pretty much what I've played this generation on the 360 (had a PS3 but those games were solid).

Black Ops, COD4 and Modern Warfare 2
Red Dead Redemption
Bad Company 1 and 2
Halo 3, ODST and Reach
Assassins Creed, Brotherhood
Star Wars Force Unleashed
Fallout 3, and New Vegas
Bioshock
Mass Effect 1 and 2
Gears of War 1 and 2
Split/Second
Just Cause 2
Sonic & Sega Racing
Dante's Inferno
GTA IV
Batman: AA
Tom Clancy Rainbow Six Vegas and both Ghost Recon games
PGR 3

In the bold are the games I played for the story/narrative. LA Noire, to me, was the most disappointing out of all them from that perspective. Because it's only a single player game, I couldn't find satisfaction elsewhere within the game e.g. side missions and landmark finding - shoot me please, I'd rather write up subnets for an entire office. For enjoyment, the game scored was amongst the lowest for me.

I'm a little confused about one thing. I keep hearing about "desks" for cases. Are there physical desks somewhere in the police office? If so, I'm totally lost in this regard as I can't find them.

Eklesp

infinityBCRT said:
I'm a little confused about one thing. I keep hearing about "desks" for cases. Are there physical desks somewhere in the police office? If so, I'm totally lost in this regard as I can't find them.

I was confused by this as well, I think you get to them from the menu under Cases but there may be a physical desk as well. I have not found it.

Irish

infinityBCRT said:

They describe the different sections of the game. Each desk has its own set of cases and partner. The different desks also deal with different types of crimes.

Beat/Patrol-Traffic-Homicide-Vice-Arson

Eklesp said:
I was confused by this as well, I think you get to them from the menu under Cases but there may be a physical desk as well. I have not found it.

Yes, you only get to them via the Cases option in the main menu. They are just the different divisions within the LAPD.

Edit: Irish provided more detail.

I just started playing this game and I'm fucking amazed on HOW good it looks, sounds and feels.
This is a new level of cinematic videogames.

GAF, at this point I'm really struggling to finish up. The guesswork, waiting for vibrations, it's just not cutting it for me anymore. I'm still on Vice, so maybe Arson will end up more enjoyable? Can anyone inspire me to continue?

Grisby

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
GAF, at this point I'm really struggling to finish up. The guesswork, waiting for vibrations, it's just not cutting it for me anymore. I'm still on Vice, so maybe Arson will end up more enjoyable? Can anyone inspire me to continue?

I don't really like convincing people to continue. Your pretty far into the game so I'd see it the end. Plus, Vice was fun for me but if your not enjoying it then theres really no reason to go on.

Arson has an interesting twist so to speak and its not that long compared to the others.

Grisby said:
I don't really like convincing people to continue. Your pretty far into the game so I'd see it the end. Plus, Vice was fun for me but if your not enjoying it then theres really no reason to go on.

Arson has an interesting twist so to speak and its not that long compared to the others.

Yea, I know what you mean. So far Vice has been more interesting than Homicide, and I heard Arson does some cool things. Worth seeing it through to the end as you said.

Just started the last set of cases.
I'd like if they mixed more action in there.

I suppose the side-missions help a bit.

They should also open up the open world. Kinda feel forced to do the missions which is both good and bad.

Yerolo

That was a nice surprise seeing Greg Grunberg turn up in the Golden Butterly case. Rock* really did an awesome job of bringing him into the game

DarkKyo

Buckethead said:
Just started the last set of cases.
I'd like if they mixed more action in there.

I suppose the side-missions help a bit.

They should also open up the open world. Kinda feel forced to do the missions which is both good and bad.
Sometimes when I'm in a middle of a case and a side-mission opens up I feel obligated to take it so I don't miss it even though I'm REALLY into the case I'm on. I love the side-missions, I just wish there were a better way to balance them with the story cases.

jett

D-Member
Just had the most hilarious bug. I talk to a random NPC on the street and instead of dialogue coming out of his mouth it's loud music and train sound effects. :lol

jett said:
Just had the most hilarious bug. I talk to a random NPC on the street and instead of dialogue coming out of his mouth it's loud music and train sound effects. :lol

lmao, wtf? that's both creepy and awesome. try and snag a video if you can

I finished the game. I wished they had got rid of most of the shooting. It makes me sad that they went through the majority of the game without the need to shoot people and they felt like they needed to kill 20 dudes in that last mission. Hopefully videogames will grow past this need for a high kill count, I feel like it is holding the art form back and we should have moved past it by now.

Bear

Clunker said:
To be fair, Rockstar was pretty obviously setting people up to expect this to be much more of a "GTA 1947" than "Dashiell Hammett's Phoenix Wright." Like, the preorder bonus for Phelps' suit with increased accuracy when shooting ... the game has weather many criticisms, but I don't think "poor accuracy in the gunplay" has been one of them. :p

I am so relieved how that turned out. This is one game I really didn't want hampered by frequent generic shooting sections when it could focus on interaction and dialogue. I played until the partway into second disk in my first sitting, and I'm loving the game.

Grisby

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Yea, I know what you mean. So far Vice has been more interesting than Homicide, and I heard Arson does some cool things. Worth seeing it through to the end as you said.

Cool, I was hoping not come off sounding like an ass. Yeah, I mean, your already 75% or so done. I think Homicide was the longest desk by far.

DarkKyo

Bear said:
I am so relieved how that turned out. This is one game I really didn't want hampered by frequent generic shooting sections when it could focus on interaction and dialogue. I played until the partway into second disk in my first sitting, and I'm loving the game.
Honestly, it wouldn't even be very realistic if it was constant action-oriented gunplay. How often does a cop have to use his gun? Probably about 5% as much as the criminals you'd find in any given GTA.

2 words: gas man

i mean, c'mon - we're back to homicide square 1, where you've got nothing solid on anyone? whatever. i go with ryan. the boss is delighted. & then my case summary says clemens is convicted & does 4 years?!...

as i once again walk away from this game, shaking my head, sadder but wiser :) ...

Guzim

jett said:
I'm liking this game so far. Here's something that just happened :lol

SZhYY.jpg

pakkit

Banned
Dechaios said:
Honestly, it wouldn't even be very realistic if it was constant action-oriented gunplay. How often does a cop have to use his gun? Probably about 5% as much as the criminals you'd find in any given GTA.
That's why the side cases bugged me so much. It could've been more interesting versions of street cop, but most of the missions used the gun. Much, much preferred the main cases.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I need to tail a suspect in a car, and they got stuck in a traffic jam while turning that is going nowhere, so I need to fail. This is such a quality game.

daviyoung

Banned
Papercuts said:
I need to tail a suspect in a car, and they got stuck in a traffic jam while turning that is going nowhere, so I need to fail. This is such a quality game.

Tailing suspects takes about 2 mins.

dreamfall

That last Homicide case was fucking brilliant!

It was pretty apparent that the cases were all tied to one another, but the wild clue hunt that sent me driving as quick as I could to hunt for the next Shelley excerpt was exhilarating. Sure, it may have been simplistic with the landmark locations but this set piece had me flying through L.A. Classic noir twist (this guy can't be touched, he's related to some high ranking official) but I loved every second of it! So ready for Vice!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
daviyoung said:
Tailing suspects takes about 2 mins.

It doesn't take long, but it's still aggravating. I also think my game is glitched? It won't let me progress on Manifest Destiny...
I tailed Elsa Lichtmann and interrogated Mickey Cohen, then it said I missed something at the 111 club. I've searched EVERYWHERE and there's no more clues, the music stopped earlier. My clues right now are:

Morphine
Blue Room Pass
Valor Cigarettes
BARs

Am I missing something?

Bleh, nevermind. Had to
look at the cigarettes from the side, which I only found out using the clue rumble.

Linkified

Finished the game now, a few thoughts:

Cole was the best character, in terms off plot development,he wanted to get the job done correctly through Traffic, to starting to go to see Elsa through Homicide desk and starting to fall for her and then during Vice having sex with her. Then during the Arson desk when he goes batshit insane when she has been kidnapped.

Jack, why - from the war vignettes he was the worst character and disobedient, then through the papers in charge of a drug Cartel to being the DA - why should I care for this prick exactly?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
jett said:
I've had a couple hilarious clipping bugs so far myself. Open world jankiness lives on!

Yesterday I came across some staircases you couldn't actually climb up. They were the type on the side of buildings - not American so not sure if they have a particular name

Irish

Meus Renaissance said:
Yesterday I came across some staircases you couldn't actually climb up. They were the type on the side of buildings - not American so not sure if they have a particular name

Fire escapes, possibly? Do you climb up similar ones during some of the scripted chase sequences?

laika09

Meus Renaissance said:

Fire escapes?

e: beaten!

BankaiZaraki said:
I agree with you. Every time I talk about Red Dead or some other game I'm hyping to my friends, they go in expecting it to be just like GTA because thats what Rockstar is famous for. For me, Red Dead is my favorite game of all-time just because of the character of John Marston and his progression throughout the whole game. People can't seem to grasp that.
RDR is a fantastic title, but it really is just GTA in the west.

And also Marston is a little bitch, not to mention the inconsistencies the game inherently places on his personality.

jett

D-Member
I've played about 10 hours so far. Overall, it's pretty good, but it's too repetitive for its own good. The structure is virtually the same for every case, in a way it reminds me of the first Assassin's Creed game: great mood and atmosphere, great tech, incredible animation...but they forgot to include strong game design in here. I'm not even sure if judging faces matters that much. Still playing because hell I spent money on it, but I'm losing excitement quickly over here.

For everyone who is saying Rockstar needs to polish their gameplay mechanics before focusing on production values: stop buying their games. I don't think they care if you enjoyed the experience or not once you put your money down.

The message won't get across until the hype machine dies, and I doubt that'll happen any time soon

StuBurns

Banned
Finished it, it's good, it's not great. I won't bother going into a big list of positives and negatives, but I will say the complete lack of challenge really hurt the game for me, after homicide I really felt no pull to be a good detective, there's no win to the game at all for me, I don't feel any different five starring a case than I do two starring one. And the story wasn't particular good, which given it's prominence in the game is disappointing. I think after all this time, the amazing performance capture (which at times is just a distraction) and Rockstar taking it on as the publisher I was expecting something spectacular, and it's not.

With that however, I'm very excited to see what they do with the game going forward, the various DLC and potential sequel I'm excited about. I could see LAN2 being magnificent, it's a good first effort.

tiff

Banned
Finished up Vice. Mechanical issues aside, it's at least a good improvement over Homicide. More varied cases, and the plot was a little more interesting.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
dreamfall said:
That last Homicide case was fucking brilliant!

It was pretty apparent that the cases were all tied to one another, but the wild clue hunt that sent me driving as quick as I could to hunt for the next Shelley excerpt was exhilarating. Sure, it may have been simplistic with the landmark locations but this set piece had me flying through L.A. Classic noir twist (this guy can't be touched, he's related to some high ranking official) but I loved every second of it! So ready for Vice!

wow is this the consensus then? I found it to be the most infuriating one and almost made me hate the game. Literally just finished it and I'm feeling quite weary. Before that I was enjoying the game for what it was, an interesting simplistic story driven title with novel interfaces. Now I feel like I flat out resent it.

Last homicide case (quarter moon killer) spoilers:

First of all the clues were bullshit. Adventure games might be my favourite genre, I love the shit out of solving puzzles, I love crime and detective shit. This was nothing of the sort. I got a bunch of poem excerpts and as far as I can tell there were only two ways to 'solve the puzzles'.

1) you had driven around a lot and discovered the landmarks mentioned either by chance or because you were hunting landmarks. you could then read the descriptions on the map and see if they matched

2) relevant undiscovered landmarks showed up as question marks on the map so you just had to traipse on over in the right order.

But I imagine the most common way these were solved was the game actually just telling you where to go after you had wandered around aimlessly for a few minutes. LAME! Those aren't puzzles or clues, those are fucking convoluted directions.

Oh and in the catacombs did anyone manage to kill him early? I killed him just before he got to the ladders to go outside. But I put loads of bullets in him by the first couple corners. Was a little annoyed he didn't go down. But was pleased that he was catchable and not scripted in a way that he was impossible to catch til you got outside.

I'm a little fed up of the game just giving me everything on a plate. I haven't solved a single thing. Things just keep falling in my lap. Oh right he confessed. Oh right the murder weapon is here. Oh look we have a match on a car at this location. aha they're running catch them!

I'm just being funneled through the game. It is literally a dolled up collectathon x interactive tv episode.

Imagine an episode of CSI or whatever and they paused now and then to say "to advance to the next scene, find 5 test tubes hidden in this picture". Then the next scene you get to choose from a couple of dialogue options. That is what you do in this game. There is nothing to solve, you just find things when it tells you to.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it seems like the problem with the game most people have is that if you don't solve things exactly right, the game forces really hackneyed solutions onto you ("THAT'S THE MAN I SAW PARK THE CAR, GET HIM!!!").

I feel like it would have been better had they included a Phoenix Wright-esque system where you can try repeatedly. I mean, conditioning gamers to accept wrong decisions and move on with the story is a really important thing, but if the story that follows the wrong choices makes people hate your game, then something needs to give.

I remember one chase sequence where a cable car came out of nowhere and rammed into the car of the suspect I was chasing, flipping his car twice in the air before crashing on it's roof. "Wow", I thought to myself. Best moment in the game by far lol. I don't think it was scripted though

kaizoku said:
There is nothing to solve, you just find things when it tells you to.

That was the biggest disappointment I had too. The pattern becomes obvious after a while. But this is a product of making the decision to have so many cases that they could not devote enough back story and time in each case to baffle the gamer and make them work to find clues and build evidence.

CozyMachine

Neo Member
Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
I didn't.
I knew I was arresting the wrong people but did not know who the actual killer was.
There was a line about the killer probably being some guy who watches drunk girls at bars that gave it away for me, I'm just wondering if that line stuck out to anyone else.

Meus Renaissance said:
I remember one chase sequence where a cable car came out of nowhere and rammed into the car of the suspect I was chasing, flipping his car twice in the air before crashing on it's roof. "Wow", I thought to myself. Best moment in the game by far lol. I don't think it was scripted though

Pretty sure it was. It happened to me, and I've seen several other people mention it in various places.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Rez said:
it seems like the problem with the game most people have is that if you don't solve things exactly right, the game forces really hackneyed solutions onto you ("THAT'S THE MAN I SAW PARK THE CAR, GET HIM!!!").

I feel like it would have been better had they included a Phoenix Wright-esque system where you can try repeatedly. I mean, conditioning gamers to accept wrong decisions and move on with the story is a really important thing, but if the story that follows the wrong choices makes people hate your game, then something needs to give.

what wrong choices? the only things you can get "wrong" are not finding all clues (which the musical cues get around) and then getting the interrogation wrong - or visiting scenes in the wrong order and failing to unlock certain stuff. thats fine thats dynamic paths through a game which is cool.

my issue is the game doesn't present case or puzzles that you actually solve. It literally just presents paths that you walk. Sometimes what you do makes you walk a different path, but all you're doing is walking a path.

Does that make sense? I never stop and think, right this is my evidence, the conclusion is I should speak to X at this time and ask about Y because there's something strange there. It doesn't present scenarios that I need to think my way out of. Like I have evidence B which suggests A is the killer but I need more so I have to think of a creative way to get more evidence.

Instead what happens is - ok we have suspect A and suspect B, talk to A, now talk to B, still dont know? Oh look a matchbox, visit bar, bar gives us A's secret hideout, visit hideout, find bloody murder weapon. chase A, done. That's just walking a very conveniently laid out path.

If you disagree can you tell me an example of when you had to use some kind pf puzzle solving skills to do anything in this game? Keep in mind I haven't gone to vice yet.

Top Bottom