• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Havok

CozyMachine said:
There was a line about the killer probably being some guy who watches drunk girls at bars that gave it away for me, I'm just wondering if that line stuck out to anyone else.
During the White Shoe Slaying, the sailor talks about how the victim was crying her eyes out to some bartender, which I only picked up on during a 5-star replay. But overall, I was really disappointed by the reveal. I was hoping it would be some amazing twist like it being Captain Donnelly. After all, the killer was hiding out in a church. But it was a minor character that I didn't remember until Phelps said that he was the temp bartender. That whole desk is weird.

PsychoSoldier said:
Pretty sure it was. It happened to me, and I've seen several other people mention it in various places.

Yeah, it happened to me too. I think all the chases have some point where they're scripted to end if you can't manage to take the car our.

saunderez

CoffeeJanitor said:
For everyone who is saying Rockstar needs to polish their gameplay mechanics before focusing on production values: stop buying their games. I don't think they care if you enjoyed the experience or not once you put your money down.

The message won't get across until the hype machine dies, and I doubt that'll happen any time soon
This isn't a Rockstar game so I will continue to buy Rockstar games despite thinking LA Noire is short of the mark.

kaizoku said:
what wrong choices? the only things you can get "wrong" are not finding all clues (which the musical cues get around) and then getting the interrogation wrong - or visiting scenes in the wrong order and failing to unlock certain stuff. thats fine thats dynamic paths through a game which is cool.

my issue is the game doesn't present case or puzzles that you actually solve. It literally just presents paths that you walk. Sometimes what you do makes you walk a different path, but all you're doing is walking a path.

Does that make sense? I never stop and think, right this is my evidence, the conclusion is I should speak to X at this time and ask about Y because there's something strange there. It doesn't present scenarios that I need to think my way out of. Like I have evidence B which suggests A is the killer but I need more so I have to think of a creative way to get more evidence.

Instead what happens is - ok we have suspect A and suspect B, talk to A, now talk to B, still dont know? Oh look a matchbox, visit bar, bar gives us A's secret hideout, visit hideout, find bloody murder weapon. chase A, done. That's just walking a very conveniently laid out path.

If you disagree can you tell me an example of when you had to use some kind pf puzzle solving skills to do anything in this game? Keep in mind I haven't gone to vice yet.
You sum up my main issue with the game very well.

After playing this game for a good 6 hours or so to me its apparent that if this facial capture technology is the way of the future (or more likely, full body capture when the tech is good enough), then Blurays will be woefully inadequate for the next generation as I'm guessing this game is around 20GB and the facial capture is still pretty low res. I'm hoping that next generation hardware will support the 20 layer 500gb bluray disc format that Pioneer developed.

I also think that we're getting close to the point where developers can mix FMV and in-engine rendering together and have it be close to being seamless. They just need to work on making film grain and lighting consistent.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Meus Renaissance said:
I remember one chase sequence where a cable car came out of nowhere and rammed into the car of the suspect I was chasing, flipping his car twice in the air before crashing on it's roof. "Wow", I thought to myself. Best moment in the game by far lol. I don't think it was scripted though

It was. Every chase scene has some scripted thing at the end that stops their vehicle if you take too long to stop them yourself.

whitehawk

Banned
infinityBCRT said:
After playing this game for a good 6 hours or so to me its apparent that if this facial capture technology is the way of the future (or more likely, full body capture when the tech is good enough), then Blurays will be woefully inadequate for the next generation as I'm guessing this game is around 20GB and the facial capture is still pretty low res. I'm hoping that next generation hardware will support the 20 layer 500gb bluray disc format that Pioneer developed.

I also think that we're getting close to the point where developers can mix FMV and in-engine rendering together and have it be close to being seamless. They just need to work on making film grain and lighting consistent.
It's also things like this that remind me that digital distribution will never take over physical media. Internet gets faster and faster, but games get bigger and bigger.

Ridley327

The only cars that get marked are the hidden ones; everything else requires you to be very patient in the zone they're supposed to spawn in or having to replay a couple of the missions for easy access.

Also, the film reels are incredibly useless; all you do is pick them up and...that's it; no real reason to grab them outside of the completion percentage.

gah this game needs a jump button during chase sequences. I got stuck during a chase because I parked by car in a way that there were a few obstacles around me and it wouldn't let me get back in and move the car either.

StuBurns said:
I've not found a single film reel in seventeen hours.

I haven't found a single one yet either, but I haven't been to Hollywood at all yet and I'm just assuming most of them are there.

I was extremely irritated today because I finished the Silk Stocking case getting every clue and acing every question (on the first time through, too! yes!) but I only got four stars because of the damn vehicle damage. Curse you GTA and causing me to be carefree at the mayhem I cause while driving!

storl026

Why does this not have CUSTOMIZABLE CONTROLS?? I just want circle for cover, L1 for aim, R1 for shoot.....L2 for brake and L1 for handbrake. I might sell the game over it, and it's a suuuuper easy thing for Bondi to have done. Grumble grumble.

Grisby

StuBurns said:
I've not found a single film reel in seventeen hours.

Yep, around that time I said hey, ill look at a guide and see where one is for the hell of it. I went and picked it up in a corner where there was a lot of dirt, and since the reel can is gold it was hard to make it out.

I think you sort of automatically find one near the end of the game (I don't see how you could miss it) and that would have been my first if not for the guide one earlier. That would have been at 21 hours.

Those things are crazy hard to find. And I'm not doing it since they give nothing.

StuBurns

Banned
Incendiary said:
I haven't found a single one yet either, but I haven't been to Hollywood at all yet and I'm just assuming most of them are there.

I was extremely irritated today because I finished the Silk Stocking case getting every clue and acing every question (on the first time through, too! yes!) but I only got four stars because of the damn vehicle damage. Curse you GTA and causing me to be carefree at the mayhem I cause while driving!
I've finished the game and done a couple of hours of driving around town getting hidden cars and those little random missions.

As for car damage, just don't drive anywhere you aren't forced to, it can only save you time and damage charges.

Grisby said:
Yep, around that time I said hey, ill look at a guide and see where one is for the hell of it. I went and picked it up in a corner where there was a lot of dirt, and since the reel can is gold it was hard to make it out.

I think you sort of automatically find one near the end of the game (I don't see how you could miss it) and that would have been my first if not for the guide one earlier. That would have been at 21 hours.

Those things are crazy hard to find. And I'm not doing it since they give nothing.
I missed it.

Ok, so I finished the game. If the game were like the final desk, that would've been awesome. The overall plot involving corruption and conspiracy stretching through Vice and Arson was actually really awesome (terrible character derailment asides anyway). Last three cases in particular I really enjoyed... cause... well if you finished the game, you know why. Certainly made up for Homicide which was unsatisfying.

R2 as Run and Shoot still sucked. Now bring on the X-Files desk.

Grisby

StuBurns said:
I've finished the game and done a couple of hours of driving around town getting hidden cars and those little random missions.

As for car damage, just don't drive anywhere you aren't forced to, it can only save you time and damage charges.

I missed it.

Sorry, ya you could technically miss it. Its at
the gas man's creepy house that Kelso visits. On the ground near the side porches.

StuBurns

Banned
Grisby said:
Sorry, ya you could technically miss it. Its at
the gas man's creepy house that Kelso visits. On the ground near the side porches.
I didn't get to check that out much at all, once I used the phone it went to a cutscene and moved me on.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Incendiary said:
but I only got four stars because of the damn vehicle damage.
That's why I always let my partner drive.

Until he rammed a car full speed in an intersection on the way to the last crime scene.

tanuki

Despite having the same reservations as most people re: limitations of interrogation sequences, I find it hard to tear myself away from this game while playing.

One of the things I love most of all about the game is the fact there's no HUD whatsoever (outside of the minimap in driving mode). And also that button prompts don't show up unless you take too a few seconds to press a button to talk/examine. Really helps with the immersion of the game.

pakkit

Banned
Watching my roommate play through this game has made me appreciate it a lot more. It's pretty impressive how many different ways you can interpret/play through a single case. I've seen different evidence and questioning lead him to make a completely different conviction that still seems logical.

Good shit. This game is certainly rough in some areas, but it's hard not to appreciate the atmosphere, performances, and story it weaves.

Trevelyon

chubigans said:
That's why I always let my partner drive.

Until he rammed a car full speed in an intersection on the way to the last crime scene.

I always skip through as soon as I can to avoid that, though sometimes it is unavoidable.

Rusty is a goddam maniac behind the wheel.

Just started L.A. Noire yesterday. I turned off the evidence vibration help right away and now I'm wondering if that was the smart thing to do. I want the cases to last a little longer so I don't mind the added difficulty but I worry that I'll just walk around all the walls smashing the A button like a bad dungeon crawler. Can anyone give me some non spoiler advice on what is conisdered the better way to play and why? Thanks GAF.

I'd recommend the following settings for L.A. Noire:

1. Leaving the vibration clues on - otherwise you're just button mashing
2. Turning off musical cues - this means music during crime scene investigations will continue playing even after you've found all clues, and conversely, when you haven't
3. Auto-aim off - shoot-outs are far too easy as is

whitehawk

Banned
storl026 said:
Why does this not have CUSTOMIZABLE CONTROLS?? I just want circle for cover, L1 for aim, R1 for shoot.....L2 for brake and L1 for handbrake. I might sell the game over it, and it's a suuuuper easy thing for Bondi to have done. Grumble grumble.
It's also a small thing to get over. Deal with it.

Exclamation-One said:

2. Turning off musical cues - this means music during crime scene investigations will continue playing even after you've found all clues, and conversely, when you haven't
I don't know about you, but having clues off doesn't make me button mash. It makes me actually, you know, look for clues.

Edit: Completely agree with the below. Need musical cues on because otherwise I'd be searching forever, the shooting mechanics are just terrible and not worth the trouble to keep auto-aim off.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Exclamation-One said:

I'd disagree on all of those. With the clues off, you have to actually look around, with the music on forever you never know if you're still missing something. Might as well keep the shooting on whatever it's defaulted on since it's pretty subpar.

pakkit

Banned
Papercuts said:
I'd disagree on all of those. With the clues off, you have to actually look around, with the music on forever you never know if you're still missing something. Might as well keep the shooting on whatever it's defaulted on since it's pretty subpar.
If you wanna play a detective simulator, I agree with his settings. It makes sense that Cole would know what to look at since he's a good detective, but it doesn't make any sense that any person would know when they had collected all the revalent data. Even then, just because you've collected all the evidence, doesn't mean you've collected all the clues. There is plenty to observe in the game that has no direct tie to the lines of questioning and is therefor not considered "evidence" but still builds the story and/or intrigue. Some of these are pretty easy to miss too, without the rumble.

I played it at first without rumble, but eventually it became too frustrating.

Aiming didn't really bother me, because it's such an inconsequential part of the game. I disagree that it's subpar, however. The weapons feel good.

Animator

There is not a single point to leaving rumble off for clues unless you want to miss a bunch of clues thanks to shitty detection system. Even with rumble it takes me 2-3 tries on average to examine a clue because for some reason phelps doesnt pick it up after the 1 second rumble window is lost.

Aaron Staton's Cole Phelps schtick is really starting to wear thin, Rusty is amusing though, as is Donnelly who's obviously overacting with his "boyos" and "go get 'em, lads", can't imagine a more unlikeable schmuck protagonist outside of Commander Sheppard and Marcus Fenix.

Gameplay is starting to get pretty fucking repetitive now, basically going through the motions of "looking for clues", dialogue options and the occasional on-foot chase, which is probably the most entertaining part, car chases are more amusing than anything with the partner shooting out the tire and the subsequent rolls every single fucking time.

Raxus

MalboroRed said:
Aaron Staton's Cole Phelps schtick is really starting to wear thin, Rusty is amusing though, as is Donnelly who's obviously overacting with his "boyos" and "go get 'em, lads", can't imagine a more unlikeable schmuck protagonist outside of Commander Sheppard and Marcus Fenix.
How can you hate Ken Cosgrove...

Accounts?

Sorry I had to. I just 4 starred House of sticks meaning I am going to have to replay the whole case again. Fudge...

Nyx

Bought it last night (360), played for around 2 hours together with my GF, and we both are in love ! (also with the game ! ;) )

We solved the tutorial case and the 1st traffic case and had a blast, can't wait to do some more investigating tonight!!

Zomba13

CozyMachine said:
Homicide desk question:
Did anyone else know who the BD killer was before they revealed him?
I had a very strong hunch after
One of the bar staff said a temp was working that night, after the time you see him working the first time.
It became obvious when every victim had been out drinking the night of their death.

Also Donnelly is the best character in this game by far (so far anyway, just got to Vice)

Trevelyon

Damn slapping the smug out of
McCaffery
is ever so satisfying. Though, that clothesline animation is seriously jank.

I love to tussle... in this game.

Foffy

Banned
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
R2 as Run and Shoot still sucked.

On dear...I think I might get this on 360. I also realized that if I were to get the PS3 version, I would be unable to play it, considering I have CFW and all. I can handle multi-disk games, as people here have told me it doesn't require swapping if you're just doing normal progress.

Are the aiming controls similar to GTA IV and RDR on the 360? You know, the triggers are used for aiming and shooting?

Raxus said:
How can you hate Ken Cosgrove...

Accounts?

Sorry I had to. I just 4 starred House of sticks meaning I am going to have to replay the whole case again. Fudge...

I wish they had a better checkpoint system instead of having to go through the ENTIRE case all over again just because you get ONE interrogation choice wrong.

TeK-DeLorean

Neo Member
Haven't been following this thread yet but just gotta say I'm loving the chase scenes in this game.. I don't think I've ever been this amped up while actually playing something ever.

After failing horribly my first few cases, I finally 5 starred my first.
The red lipstick murder case was awesome.

The Lamp

MalboroRed said:
I wish they had a better checkpoint system instead of having to go through the ENTIRE case all over again just because you get ONE interrogation choice wrong.

Start > Quit to Main Menu > Resume > Boom! You're back where you were.

Completed it last night and loved it to bits, so I'm sad to see it end. Needless to say, L.A. Noire will mark the first game I'll actually be buying DLC for since the crappy Call Of Duty 4 map pack back in 2007. Now all I've got to do is wait for PS Store to come back online.

TeK-DeLorean

Neo Member
Man, I would love to see mass effect use this face capture technology..

Better yet, if this team would make a new "Snatcher" game like this... my god.

Fuck it, I'll take any futuristic Blade Runner type game like this.. The only downside I see to this type of game is that the replay value is really slim to none imo.

Top Bottom