• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Bondi's L.A. NOIRE |OT| Watchin' Faces, Solvin' Cases

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
A27 Tawpgun said:
*sigh*

Not going to lie, I had a lot of fun with the game despite its flaws. Thing is, since Rockstar was behind it I was expecting a rockstar quality masterpiece. I got something good, but not Rockstar quality masterpiece.

Because it wasn't Rockstar remember? It was TEAM BONDI! lol

Ugh, this game turned into such a slog and was not worth the price of admission at $60.

The Lamp said:
The game went multiplat in ~2006?
I don't know when plans changed, but it wasn't a multiplatform project until years after being initially announced as a PS3 exclusive funded wholly by Sony. The point is that what you said doesn't seem as likely as the game simply not being that good to begin with. Given their history with The Getaway, it doesn't really surprise that L.A. Noire turned out as uneven as it has.

Astery

bryehn said:
And what's the deal with film reels? I'm 14 cases in and stil haven't come across a single one. 4/5 starred every case so far, are they just randomly scattered in the needlessly open world with nothing to do?

I've finished the game and I have seen and collected 0. lol.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Damn, I was really excited about this, but it looks like game has a lot of flaws.
Well I tend to trust Amir0x reviews, so I'll probably grab it if it ever comes to PC/I finally get a PS3

jett

D-Member
The_Technomancer said:
Damn, I was really excited about this, but it looks like game has a lot of flaws.
Well I tend to trust Amir0x reviews, so I'll probably grab it if it ever comes to PC/I finally get a PS3

Can't trust Amir0x on this one, because of his post history regarding LAN he has to save face by being more lenient than he should on the game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
jett said:
Can't trust Amir0x on this one, because of his post history regarding LAN he has to save face by being more lenient than he should on the game.
Ergh. I was really hoping for something like Phoenix Wright meets a Rockstar Sandbox with an incredible atmosphere. It sounds like they only kinda managed the third point.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
jett said:
Come on man, I know you're miffed you spent money on this but that's a stretch.

Shiloa

tiff said:
I was fine with the boss being pissed about not putting the pedophile away (until he praises you for the great work you've done in the very next cutscene), but why does it affect the scoring system that they foolishly put in? What is a case rating really supposed to represent?

Put what together? If you miss the one time in the game where he mentions
his family
, you wouldn't even realize he had one until it became relevant to the plot. It's shit storytelling, plain and simple.

Don't even get me started on
Cole's death.
1) Not a fan of the scoring system myself, but the scoring system is based on how your performance was evaluated. I don't see the issue. If the police wanted a certain person in jail and you do so, then they will decorate you. Makes sense to me.

2)
You see Cole and his wife in the first minute of the game. You see Rosebud for a second in Citizen Kane. Does that fact belittle the story?

protonion

Finished it. I enjoyed the story and characters.
The biggest flaw is repetition.
Take case, investigate, travel to new location ,talk/shoot/chase, repeat for 20-30 hours.
And every investigation is the same. Check body,find paper, new location revealed...

The game reveals all it's mechanisms in the first 2 hours and there are no surprises till the end.

Good game though. I'd like a sequel with more variety in the cases and more epic and well thought set pieces (like the movie set early in the game).

jett

D-Member
mattiewheels said:
Come on man, I know you're miffed you spent money on this but that's a stretch.

Most of his pre-release posts seemed to be a variant of "this game is gonna be awesome and expose heavy rain for the piece of shit non-game it is!" :p LAN turned out to be barely a game at all. I'm only half-joking anyway.

The Lamp

jett said:
Most of his pre-release posts seemed to be a variant of "this game is gonna be awesome and expose heavy rain for the piece of shit non-game it is!" :p LAN turned out to be barely a game at all. I'm only half-joking anyway.

It's funny. I appreciate LAN for what it is but I appreciate Heavy Rain a crapload more for what it is.

GABDEG

jett said:
Yeah it's terrible. You even get a WROOONG! sound effect chime, as if it wasn't bad enough.
That sound is my most hated gaming sound of 2011 so far. Thinking thoroughly about what to pick, thinking that there's no way in hell that's the wrong answer and then DUNNNNN god damntjafwf

Shiloa said:
1) Not a fan of the scoring system myself, but the scoring system is based on how your performance was evaluated. I don't see the issue. If the police wanted a certain person in jail and you do so, then they will decorate you. Makes sense to me.

2)
You see Cole and his wife in the first minute of the game. You see Rosebud for a second in Citizen Kane. Does that fact belittle the story?

1) the game was supposed to be about solving crimes, not advancing your career. had the game been sold as 'figure out who did it, but realize that your performance will be based on which choice best furthers your career', i'm thinking there'd've been as much pre-release 'wtf?' as hype...

2)
citizen cane?
in the l.a. noire thread? credibility meter broken :) ...

tiff

Banned
Shiloa said:
So if you consistently get 1 star ratings, then it'd make sense that they'd fire you, right?

Shiloa said:
2)
Rosebud is brought up constantly in Citizen Kane. I'm not sure how you can compare the two.

The Lamp said:
I wonder if it going multiplatform affected content being cut or the game having to be drastically changed to meet new deadlines or disc size or something. I know at least 2 desks were rumored to be taken out (and the game tells us burglary is missing).

This is apparently exactly what happened. Bunco and Burglary were both cut due to a combination of too little disc space because of DVD limitations, and because stuff was unfinished. However, the game is mostly how it is not due to some overarching vision or even Xbox disc limitations, but from not knowing how the hell to tie it all together in the face of impending deadlines. Huge amounts of content was cut because there was no coherent way to fit it into the game as-is.

**pops into thread** **sees that the backlash has gotten a lot worse**......and I’m glad that this is getting more backlash. Its justified. Pretty much all of the negativity is spot on in here.

It’s like the game tries its hardest to make you hate it. Overall the game is one big pile of nothingness. Very forgettable. Oh and a massive LOL at GameTrailers 9.8 for story. What story?

Shiloa

semiconscious said:
1) the game was supposed to be about solving crimes, not advancing your career. had the game been sold as 'figure out who did it, but realize that your performance will be based on which choice best furthers your career', i'm thinking there'd've been as much pre-release 'wtf?' as hype...

2)
citizen cane?
in the l.a. noire thread? credibility meter broken :) ...
1) Marketing issue. Not game issue.

2) I never compared to game to Citizen Kane. I'm just using it to make a point.

The Lamp

Tricky I Shadow said:
**pops into thread** **sees that the backlash has gotten a lot worse**......and I’m glad that this is getting more backlash. Its justified. Pretty much all of the negativity is spot on in here.

It’s like the game tries its hardest to make you hate it. Overall the game is one big pile of nothingness. Very forgettable. Oh and a massive LOL at GameTrailers 9.8 for story. What story?

I dunno, I learned a long time ago that GameTrailer's numerical scores are a load of crap. I listen to what they say in their reviews, but completely disregard their numbers. They're never justified or proven.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I swear to God, the next person who recognizes me from the papers is gonna get a rolled up Sunday edition down their fucking throat.

Man oh man, I am so glad I didn't pick this up. The hype almost got me but reading all these end game impressions, wow. What a mess.

I'll still probably pick it up when it's really cheaper.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
No, no, no. Dammit! I'm impressed how people's views changed so fast from: "It has its problems" to "It's no worth it".

I'm still getting.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
jett said:
Heh, figured there was a little joking there. For my money though, LAN was inumerally more compelling than Heavy Rain :/

GABDEG

Juan29.zapata said:
No, no, no. Dammit! I'm impressed how people's views changed so fast from: "It has its problems" to "It's no worth it".

I'm still getting.
Get it, it's completely worth it.

Ten times better than Heavy Rain.

schick85

All the effort they put on the reconstruction of LA should have gone towards the plot, main/side missions, and what not. There's not much left to do in the 8 sq miles of nothing once you've finished the main game really. Yakuza 4 did a remarkable job in this regard.

Owzers

My friend likes this game a lot and i dislike it for the most part. It's just the pacing for me, it doesn't keep my attention. Case starts at precinct, drive to crime scene, get out and inspect the scene, drive to coroner, talk to coroner, drive to suspect address, go to room, drive to where he might be next, chase down suspect, and then the cycle starts all over again. Now, once you eliminate the driving aspect with fast traveling which i usually do, what you get are really short segments that feel like minigames separated by loading screens over and over again. There's no flow to the gameplay.

I don't begrudge people who like it though, it is certainly different and not horrible, it just doesn't click with me.

Montresor

Wow at the backlash. =/ I loved the game. Easily worth day one purchase. The only repetitive part was the homicide desk, and that turned out to have a very satisfying ending. The game is far from perfect but I enjoyed it for being a 3-d Phoenix wright: a solid detective game!

netguy503

I'm finished with the game but I want to know if I can still go back to past cases and five star the cases I haven't (I didn't start a five star run until vice) and will that still allow me to get the trophy? Also, is that the same for all other trophies (responding to street crimes/ doing street crimes/cars/guns/etc)?

Montresor

netguy503 said:
I'm finished with the game but I want to know if I can still go back to past cases and five star the cases I haven't (I didn't start a five star run until vice) and will that still allow me to get the trophy? Also, is that the same for all other trophies (responding to street crimes/ doing street crimes/cars/guns/etc)?

You can replay every case by selecting the "Cases" option in the main menu. Five-starring the cases this way will count towards the achievement. You can tackle street crimes this way as well. But an even better way to get street crimes is to look for the Free Roam option under the same "Cases" section. It lets you do your thing, searching landmarks, reels, cars, or street crimes without worrying about investigating a crime.

megalowho

It's a great game. I have my critiques, which have already been recited multiple times in fairly dramatic fashion in this thread, but it also does a lot of things right, does something I've never seen before with the amazing facial tech, and it was a cool, unique experience from start to finish. I enjoyed the methodical investigations, the brilliant soundtrack, the focus on Cole's policework rather than his day to day life. I was genuinely taken aback more than a few times during interrogations, studying reactions in a person and playing them against motives, evidence and intuition in my head. The linearity did not bother me at all, nor did the fact that there were no GTA/RDR style side missions or errands to do in the city. And I found the endgame quite compelling, moreso than I expected to after reading some impressions here.

I guess I've never played a game like this, warts and all, and that goes a long way for me in terms of appreciation and enjoyment. I understand the disappointment from some, not so much the outright hatred and vitriol from others, but no amount of "backlash" is going to convince me that L.A. Noire isn't a standout effort with a lot of compelling stuff to offer.

traded it in yesterday for assassins creed 2 and brotherhood, got them both for 5 bucks. i got tired (literally) of falling asleep as i was playing la noire.

jett

D-Member
boredofcanada said:
traded it in yesterday for assassins creed 2 and brotherhood, got them both for 5 bucks. i got tired (literally) of falling asleep as i was playing la noire.

Good man. I want to trade it for Bayonetta and Vanquish.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
npm0925 said:
This game is pissing me off. Get one question wrong? You have to replay the entire fucking case or accept that a branch of the story will never unlock. Such awful, punitive game design -- makes Demon's Souls look generous by comparison.

If you quit to the title screen and then resume you will start at your last checkpoint, which in the worst case scenario involves gathering evidence at the scene again before questioning someone, but it's way better than starting the case over.

npm0925 said:
This game is pissing me off. Get one question wrong? You have to replay the entire fucking case or accept that a branch of the story will never unlock. Such awful, punitive game design -- makes Demon's Souls look generous by comparison.

Actually, if you just screw up an interview, just hit start, quit out to the main menu, resume and you will be at the location of the last location you visited. The game autosaves once you arrive at a new location.
edit: beaten

Ok is there something Im missing? I seriously cant get anything right. Most of the time its impossible to tell if to doubt or lie or even if theyre telling the truth.

pakkit

Banned
Why quit the game midcase? There is no real reward for 5 starring outside of getting the achievements, and you learn different information given any different question.

The "perfect" 5 star run doesn't mean you've seen all that developers wanted you to see.

Buba Big Guns said:
Ok is there something Im missing? I seriously cant get anything right. Most of the time its impossible to tell if to doubt or lie or even if theyre telling the truth.

Matter of fact-like statements tend to be truth, but generally assume everyone is lying or holding back. You kind of get the hang of when to use doubt and when to use lie, but proving the lie I'm still having awkward issues with sometimes.

The Lamp

GABDEG said:
Get it, it's completely worth it.

Ten times better than Heavy Rain.

In my opinion it doesn't hold a wet candle to Heavy Rain, but I still enjoy it.

Buba Big Guns said:

Truth is easy. In fact, one of the problems is that the actors way over-acted their parts for truth and lie/doubt. It's almost too binary. There are true and false faces, and that's about it.

For truth they just stare you straight in the eyes; no suspicious movement.

For lie/doubt they look shifty; they dart their eyes and contort their faces.
Then to distinguish between lie and doubt, you just see whether there is any opposing-proof specific to what they said. If there is, choose lie. If there isn't, choose doubt.

daviyoung

Banned
GillianSeed79 said:
Actually, if you just screw up an interview, just hit start, quit out to the main menu, resume and you will be at the location of the last location you visited. The game autosaves once you arrive at a new location.
edit: beaten

Again, that's still bad game design. Are we supposed to do that to make sure we succeed? Do we have to press lie first just to hear what Cole has to say? To see if we have the right evidence? No. We should only have to use the script, the faces, and our intuition points.

The Lamp

daviyoung said:
Again, that's still bad game design. Are we supposed to do that to make sure we succeed? Do we have to press lie first just to hear what Cole has to say? To see if we have the right evidence? No. We should only have to use the script, the faces, and our intuition points.

Yeah, it is really bad design. They encourage that kind of gameplay, however, with the insulting notion that you have to investigate "correctly" and get "correct" answers out of suspects, instead of just letting you investigate how you wish and dealing with the consequences of the case. :l

daviyoung

Banned
That's the thing, the meat of the game is in the interrogations, it's about the only thing you can get 'wrong'. Yet there are so many curveballs, red herrings and falsities thrown in by the plot that it makes them appear completely broken the first playthrough.

In Heavy Rain the only thing you could get wrong was button presses, but at least that was binary, a test of actual skill, and it affected the eventual outcome of the game.

It's one of the worst designed games I've played in a long time. It doesn't know if it wants to be more of an interactive experience like Heavy Rain or if it want's to be a skill based game. It wouldn't surprise me if they switched lead designers at some point.

Top Bottom