• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm the best, I've been in all the tournaments and whatnot. *pose* (no not really, just the highlander one for fun, I don't like super competitive stuff :p)

Silencer is a really good solly and an excellent sniper even though he bitches about body shots all the time.
I was trying to bodyshot him on purpose last night but he never seemed to complain about it. So disappointing. :p

I've never played competitively, not tf2 at least. Not that I even care, but tf2 doesn't seem to have much of a comp. scene...at least not as big as some other games do/did.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
Kuro Madoushi said:
I used to be comp. Boonoo was on my team. Really, Pet is the big comp guy and has played with or knows some big names.

I don't believe EM is comp.

I would like to see Artistdude, Silencer Lang, and Javaman give it a go though.

Artist is annoying as a spah, but FUCK I hated going one-on-one against him as scoot. Really good aim and movement.

Javaman would be a good med since he knows when to back out, knows who to heal, and is calm/doesn't rage.

Silencer is a really good solly and an excellent sniper even though he bitches about body shots all the time.

Yeah, I remember you saying once or twice that you used to comp and I was not in the least bit surprised.

I also agree with your statements about Artist (pain in the butt :D), Java (never will win a needle gun war against him), and Silencer (I think his name speaks for itself).

@Kuro - what class(es) did you play?

I now have all the Shogun weapons :D

Also, I found it clever that the
-Buff Banner you need to deal damage to buff
-Battalion's Backup you need to take damage to buff
-Concheror you need to take damage and do damage to buff

The Concheror needs to do double the amount of damage, and have the soldier take double the amount of damage to charge, but you can use either method, or mix them.

I got the Concheror to charge pretty quickly because of this. A good rush with a medic is enought to fill it.

Clydefrog

I remember playing in a league for Counter-Strike. It was frustrating for me because I could never take it so seriously. We'd even have planned team practices where we would go over our tactics on specific maps.

Looking back, it just seems so ridiculous :lol

in TF2, I love attacking someone and then doing a 180 off a cliff!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Nikolai13 said:
Yeah, I remember you saying once or twice that you used to comp and I was not in the least bit surprised.

I also agree with your statements about Artist (pain in the butt :D), Java (never will win a needle gun war against him), and Silencer (I think his name speaks for itself).

@Kuro - what class(es) did you play?
Angry Medic and Fail Scout

There's a pretty active comp scene in my opinion and there are leagues available to join and more than enough people and resources you can use to make a team.

I didn't like comp at first and it can be frustrating, but I felt it was more rewarding in some aspects AND if you want to improve you have to play comp. I plateaued playing on regular pubs and playing comp definitely forces you to view the game differently and to stop taking stupid risks.

This isn't anything official, but I tend to break down players into Pub (low, mid, high), Comp (low, mid, high)->Pro

I've been told by others I was a low comp player. Good enough to swing the tide of battle if teams were evenly matched and definitely able to dominate with the right partner if I was medic.

Blizzard...'trying to' and actually 'doing it' are two different things. Dominate him with a body shot and he'll rage about it. It's hard though cause he is really good.

Javaman

ArtistDude88 said:
If I'm so obvious why do I keep topping the scores :U I've even had Javaman heal me a few times while disguised and he's pro anti-Spy!

Yeah, I've been kinda lazy spy checking lately. Usually I try to run through someone before healing but when surrounded by hurt people I don't take the time. :eek:P

Kuro Madoushi said:
Javaman would be a good med since he knows when to back out, knows who to heal, and is calm/doesn't rage.

Meh. I play too offensively and end up loosing about as many ubers/krits than I actually use effectively. Or maybe you guys are getting better and actively focusing on killing medics faster. I like to wait till the last possible moment to hit the uber/kritz for maximum effect but it gets me into trouble. I probably maxed out skill wise a year ago. Getting oneshot by anything (sniper/spy/crit) is frustrating as fuck.

Blizzard said:
I'm the best, I've been in all the tournaments and whatnot. *pose* (no not really, just the highlander one for fun, I don't like super competitive stuff :p)

I was trying to bodyshot him on purpose last night but he never seemed to complain about it. So disappointing. :p

He might have been talking about hitting other people with body-shots that should have registered as head-shots

Nikolai13 said:

A big part of that is due to using the bluts. Even after the health regen nerf it still is a huge help if you can nail the enemy with needles. When there's a group of people around the cart or cp you can really rack up some damage/health if you manage to dodge most of their attacks.

Nikolai13 said:
Hooray for Steam-rolled GAF TF2 :D
Even rounds have been few and far between lately for some reason. I don't like to be on either side of a steam roll. I'd love it if there was some modifiable handicap system in place that you can vote to turn on. Maybe it would give a team with less players or a huge point disadvantage a slight health or damage output boost. Totally optional of course. I'd hate to see something like that mandatory.

ArtistDude88 said:
Well, after playing a few rounds of with the Conniver's Kunai, I think all-in-all, it's ok.

Having only 60 health is a serious handicap to start off with. At first I tried it with regular cloak. That was just terrible... A stray sticky or rocket anywhere near you was pretty much instant death while walking bye, cloaked or not.

Then I switched to Dead Ringer. This is definitely the only way to use this knife. Disguise as a friendly, trigger DR, get behind enemy lines, disguise as enemy, backstab and run away/DR out of fire. It was extremely satisfying to have ~5 health left, backstab someone and bam! Over-healed to 180.

I don't recommend it's use at all to beginners of the Spy class.

The Kunai definitely adds a flare of challenge to the Spy class with some rewarding moments. Just be mindful of your health, and if you see a Pyro, just run the hell away! Dead Ringer or not, 60 health drops awfully quick when there's a Pyro dogging you. In fact, I don't think I survived ANY Pyro chases...
I told you about the other watches! Frankly I don't see why would you pick Conniver's Kunai over the normal knife, unless you want to challenge yourself as Spy. It DOES help you improve, most of my Dead Ringer spy improvements came from using it, I started to analyse situations more, like when to go for a stab and not being greedy.

Edit: Most (70%) of my hours as spy have been using Cloak and Dagger.

If someone needs an extra Battalion's Backup or Gloves of Running Urgently, send me a PM. I have a few extras and I'm fine with trading for regular items.

Damn, I won't be able to join you guys tonight. That's what I get for using a wireless mouse, my batteries are dead and my replacements can't be found anywhere!

As far as stacking goes, it'd be nice if the best players would not assemble on one team over and over. There's nothing wrong with scrambles either imo.

X-Frame

Can anyone estimate what sort of settings I would be able to run TF2 with on my MBP i7? It was the top end MBP 15" before the more recent update.

2.66 GHz 4 GB RAM
GT 330M

:(

Can anyone estimate what sort of settings I would be able to run TF2 with on my MBP i7? It was the top end MBP 15" before the more recent update.

2.66 GHz 4 GB RAM
GT 330M

:(

Minimum: 1.7 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX® 8.1 level Graphics Card (Requires support for SSE), Windows® 7 (32/64-bit)/Vista/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Recommended: Pentium 4 processor (3.0GHz, or better), 1GB RAM, DirectX® 9 level Graphics Card, Windows® 7 (32/64-bit)/Vista/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

commissar said:
nevermind, I found the 2010 list on pldx
Link?

Anyway, I feel confidence as a Spy when it's under 20 players. I could actually do stuff! I'm getting the hang of Spy some more, but I'm still very impatient sometimes. Being impatient paid off a couple times, though. Woo.

Oreoleo

Lionheart1337 said:
As far as stacking goes, it'd be nice if the best players would not assemble on one team over and over. There's nothing wrong with scrambles either imo.

That's what people were saying the other night (Tuesday?) when teams kept getting steamrolled, that everyone was stacking the same team but really it was more like me and Java on a team doing heavy medic/engie combo and Artistdude and Silencer on the other team doing awesome at spy/sniper (As an example). You have to realize that whenever people are playing on GAF, "the best players" constitutes about half the server, so to get them all evenly split is sort of impossible. I think most people around here would agree with Java that being on either side of a roll isn't fun, and I for one usually try to keep things balanced when I pick a team.

MNC

I have the kunai and I hate it. 60hp for a spy is shit. anyone up for a trade of other shogun items? mnc117 is my id.

Clydefrog

I used to jump on the team with a random spot but sometimes my game would get stuck. It’s like someone would join the team at the exact time I did, and it wouldn’t actually put me on the team. It just put me in limbo. I would then have to reconnect to the server.

Nowadays I just press 5 (random) and boom I’m there. I’m usually the first or second person on the team anyway.

Why can't I keep my dominations? Everytime I'm dominating people, they get their revenge too soon, I never end a round my dominations! I had 3 dominations as a Sniper then a single demo helped them get their revenge kill every single time!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I tend to do random.

Oh, I have an extra YER and Battalion's Backup if someone wants to craft the Kunai or Concheror.

I still need a War Fan/Mad Milk. (And Loch-n-Load, Buffalo Steak Sandvich, and Warrior's Spirit)

Pick Pyro and hold down m1.

I'd actually recommend being a Medic. Get to grips with the maps through helping people out and also see where they go to or shoot at.

Heavy's Sandvich said:
Pick Pyro and hold down m1.

I'd actually recommend being a Medic. Get to grips with the maps through helping people out and also see where they go to or shoot at.

I like the first suggestion. heh

But really, about the maps, is there a good amount of them? Should I probably take a look at them before hand?

RepairmanJack said:

But really, about the maps, is there a good amount of them? Should I probably take a look at them before hand?

You could do.

Maybe the payload maps might be easier to get into. Badwater and Gold Rush especially.

Also, don't be put off by your initial frustration; stick with it. If something isn't feeling quite right with the characters, switch to someone else.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
RepairmanJack said:

Don't bother looking at them beforehand, there are over 30 maps now. Most Maps have arrows showing you which way to go, just be careful of arrows of the opposite team color, you usually would want to go the opposite way of them.

For Classes to play, I suggest ether Pyro or Solder. I think the Solder would be best, since he his primary attack is a projectile that goes straight.

One thing you should notice quickly is there is no straight up Machine gun like most in FPS Games. (The Snipper does have a SMG, but it does minimal damage)

I also suggest you play Payload and Attack/Defend maps to start with, the dynamics allow poor players to be able to contribute more/not hold a team back.

Javaman

Drkirby said:
I also suggest you play Payload and Attack/Defend maps to start with, the dynamics allow poor players to be able to contribute more/not hold a team back.

Yeah. Plus you can see an outline of the cart through walls that will help you find it until you learn the maps.

Cool, thanks guys. I'll probably just use a couple of the classes at first and see what I like then just pick one to stick with for a while and get used to. I figured I'd just have to jump in and get my feet wet, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything vital. :lol

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
If theres one thing the Kunai is good for, it's idling for items.

Heavy's Sandvich said:
Just keep at it.

add me on steam: efeman

I'll give you my spare weapons, I don't have that many though.

Will do, thanks.

That brings up another questions. How do the weapons work? I'm confused by the fact that you have spare?

Each character have their original stock of weapons.

Valve then updated all the characters with a secondary set. Different weapons with differing abilities.

Then community weapons were released which offered another set of weapons for characters.

There are a lot of weapons floating about, you'll find that the original set are the best for most characters.

When you play TF2, you'll find random weapons pop up. These go in your backpack and it is up to you whether you want to equip them or not.

I don't want this to be overwhelming; you'll notice others with different guns and silly hats.

shotgun having all your hats by the way

Nikolai13

Neo Member
Kuro Madoushi said:
Angry Medic and Fail Scout

There's a pretty active comp scene in my opinion and there are leagues available to join and more than enough people and resources you can use to make a team.

I didn't like comp at first and it can be frustrating, but I felt it was more rewarding in some aspects AND if you want to improve you have to play comp. I plateaued playing on regular pubs and playing comp definitely forces you to view the game differently and to stop taking stupid risks.

This isn't anything official, but I tend to break down players into Pub (low, mid, high), Comp (low, mid, high)->Pro

I've been told by others I was a low comp player. Good enough to swing the tide of battle if teams were evenly matched and definitely able to dominate with the right partner if I was medic.

Blizzard...'trying to' and actually 'doing it' are two different things. Dominate him with a body shot and he'll rage about it. It's hard though cause he is really good.

Cool. Thanks Kuro! Yeah, I was just wondering because a lot of you guys impress me and I wasn't sure if you mostly just are good naturally/for fun or if a good amount of you played competitively.

Javaman said:
Even rounds have been few and far between lately for some reason. I don't like to be on either side of a steam roll. I'd love it if there was some modifiable handicap system in place that you can vote to turn on. Maybe it would give a team with less players or a huge point disadvantage a slight health or damage output boost. Totally optional of course. I'd hate to see something like that mandatory.

I remember you saying something about this on the server the other night. I think it'd be a good idea especially since auto-balance/scramble rarely ever works especially if people pay for slots on specific servers and are immune to scrambling. I am all for even games, but like most of the people that have posted about purposely stacking teams, I also usually choose random and then switch depending on how the teams are lined up

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
RepairmanJack said:
Will do, thanks.

That brings up another questions. How do the weapons work? I'm confused by the fact that you have spare?

You can only really use one of any item, so if you get a duplicate, you can either delete it (I don't want it and neither do you!), trade it (I want that, you want this?) or craft it (I'll turn this into that). Weapons are the only thing worth collecting, you'll devise strategies and find weapon sets that support that strategy, making you even better. But until you develop those strategies, don't worry too much about the new items. If anything, use them as incentive to try the new classes out.

And like I said at the top of the page, don't even think about hats until you can craft one or one drops for you; that's the highest level meta-game and shouldn't be on your mind for a while.

Played for a bit and liked it. I was horrible, of course, but it was fun. The two classes I played the most were scout and solder. I don't think I ever had more then 2 or 3 kills. I played a couple games of cart(? the one where one team pushes and one defends and you have to push the cart) I liked it the most, I also played something arena and didn't have too much fun with it, but that could have been the map.

Definitely will be playing more, but that's all for tonight.

Do some weapons have a secondary action? I just wasn't sure if I was missing something or not. It might just be me not knowing the weapons or what they do.

rar

Nikolai13 said:
I would like to pose a question. Just from my experience of playing on this server, a lot of the players are very good in my opinion. I was just wondering how many of you have played competitively? Leagues? Tournaments?

ive played twl, cevo, and esea, though i dont really play alot like i used to

the general skill level is a step higher then alot of servers, but there arent really alot of competitive players. the gg server has comp players who frequent and its noticeably tougher

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
RepairmanJack said:
Do some weapons have a secondary action? I just wasn't sure if I was missing something or not. It might just be me not knowing the weapons or what they do.

Few do:

Pyro's Flamethrower will put out a compressed air blast with right-click (which deflect projectiles, extinguishes teammates, and pushes opponents).
Demoman can right-click at any time to detonate his deployed stickies.
Heavy pre-revs his minigun with right-click (well, right-hold).
Engineer can rotate buildings he's about to build with right-click, and can pick up his deployed buildings to move them the same way.
Medic can right-click with a full Ubercharge (and his Medigun out) to deploy Uber.
Sniper zooms his rifle with right-click.
Spy uses his cloak watch with right-click.

There's non-stock weapons with right-click functions as well:

Sandman (Scout) sends out a baseball with right click.
Sandvich and Buffalo Steak Sandwich (Heavy) can be dropped with right-click, allowing teammates to take its health.
The Degreaser (Pyro), Scottish Resistance (Demoman), all Heavy miniguns, Kritzkrieg (Medic), Sydney Sleeper (Sniper), and all other Spy watches function like their stock counterparts.

Soldier is the only class without a right-click ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom