• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

rar

Blizzard said:
I like heavy and I want a class to be easy for me so I can easily kill lots of people, but I'm lame so yeah. :p

If we get rid of demos then I might be able to give up heavies. Fair trade!

there shouldnt be an easy class, if youre a bad player you should play bad and get bad scores, and you should have fun doing it. the game is more fun when youre not very good at it and its challenging and youre learning how to play better

Blizzard

Banned
rar said:
there shouldnt be an easy class, if youre a bad player you should play bad and get bad scores, and you should have fun doing it. the game is more fun when youre not very good at it and its challenging and youre learning how to play better
Nah, it's more fun when I'm dominating and playing to relax and have fun. I work enough that I want to relax playing my casual games. ;p If you want competitive gameplay, why don't you just play 6v6 competitive where there aren't many heavies?

rar

Blizzard said:
Nah, it's more fun when I'm dominating and playing to relax and have fun. I work enough that I want to relax playing my casual games. ;p If you want competitive gameplay, why don't you just play 6v6 competitive where there aren't many heavies?

you cant relax and just shoot things and not worry about getting kills? why do you have to dominate just to have fun? that really doesnt make sense to me

Blizzard

Banned
rar said:
you cant relax and just shoot things and not worry about getting kills? why do you have to dominate just to have fun? that really doesnt make sense to me
I'm just kind of being silly and saying it's fun to kill people and do well in TF2. Sometimes it's funny if they get mad at you for doing it, but that's kind of a trolling sort of thing to laugh at.

To be more serious, I think your suggestion that "bad" players should always do bad (and have fun while doing bad) isn't really true for all situations. I feel that there are some servers that are competitive (6v6, or competitive in general), and others that are for people to play for fun. If you want a more competitive experience, and/or an experience without heavies, as far as I know there are places where you can mostly find them. I don't think it's fair for you to want to take away a class from everyone else because you think it's too easy though. TF2 has always been a fairly accessible game to my knowledge.

Forkball

So I crafted the samurai sword. It's cool I guess, I suck badly at sword and board demo so I can't get the full effect, but I did score some kills with it. It seems better suited for medieval mode, something Valve makes a lot of items for but not a lot of maps.

Forkball said:
So I crafted the samurai sword. It's cool I guess, I suck badly at sword and board demo so I can't get the full effect, but I did score some kills with it. It seems better suited for medieval mode, something Valve makes a lot of items for but not a lot of maps.
I like it for demo but with solder I'm so use to just going to equalizer when I'm bored and I'm locked into it. Fun item though.

Yeef

Drkirby said:
And I am back from Disney, what antics have I missed?
Vegas.

[edit] I was thinking an interesting new mode could be payload push. A single cart that each team tries to push the opposite way. Basically 5cp, but with a cart.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
Vegas.

[edit] I was thinking an interesting new mode could be payload push. A single cart that each team tries to push the opposite way. Basically 5cp, but with a cart.
Imagine the 45-minute stalemates that can occur on hightower, but with a much longer walking time and both teams jammed into the same place. It'll be GREAT. ;p

Blizzard

Banned
Kulock said:
This already exists: Waste.
Ah right. I think we used to actually play that on the old GAF server or maybe F7, and I don't really have fond memories. =/ (aside from taking side routes and stabbing or shooting people in the back)

rar said:

That's how I feel about Counter-Strike. It took like a year to get decent amongst experienced players but I had fun the whole way through.

Losing in tf2 is pretty frustrating because it's always for some obvious reason like 6 snipers and no medics or something. I don't find much joy in finding out the reasons for getting owned in tf2. Some classes are too easy but they all have weaknesses. Like heavies aren't shit against a decent spy or sniper.

Blizzard

Banned
Lionheart1337 said:
That's how I feel about Counter-Strike. It took like a year to get decent amongst experienced players but I had fun the whole way through.

Losing in tf2 is pretty frustrating because it's always for some obvious reason like 6 snipers and no medics or something. I don't find much joy in finding out the reasons for getting owned in tf2. Some classes are too easy but they all have weaknesses. Like heavies aren't shit against a decent spy or sniper.
If it makes you feel any better, pet, I was getting destroyed by demos, soldiers, and/or scouts yesterday.

And 3-point push might at least lower the walking time, but I guess the walking time is to attempt to prevent stalemates. I dunno. If maps would at least go to sudden death after 20 minutes I think that'd be more tolerable, since at least you know it's going to end at some point.

leroidys

BloodySinner said:
After 900+ hours of TF2, I can officially say that I have truly become bored of the game. It's not fun for me anymore. I don't know why and I can't explain it either. Oh well.

I had to take a 3 or 4 month break but now it feels more fun than ever. Burnt out originally after about 500 hours, don't know why its so good now. Maybe because they fixed the natascha.

leroidys said:
I had to take a 3 or 4 month break but now it feels more fun than ever. Burnt out originally after about 500 hours, don't know why its so good now. Maybe because they fixed the natascha.
I wasn't playing when there was the Natascha whining, but what was so bad about it?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Blizzard said:
Imagine the 45-minute stalemates that can occur on hightower, but with a much longer walking time and both teams jammed into the same place. It'll be GREAT. ;p
You could prevent it if the base push rate increases as the map go on. Like after 10 minutes the cart with 1 person goes as fast or faster then a fully loaded cart at the start.

I wasn't playing when there was the Natascha whining, but what was so bad about it?
I think you were, you likely just ignored it. They were complaining Natasha was the slow down effect was over powered. What they did was give slow down fall off, so it isn't as bad being hit by Natasha from a distance.

Yeef

Sgt.Pepper said:
It slows you down whenever you get hit, but rather than slowing you down a certain percentage it'd slow you down to less-than-Heavy-spun-up speed even if it hit you from the other side of the map. As with all attacks that reduce speed, it also cancels any weapon jumping (sticky, rocket, Force-a-nature) and targe charges.

The way they nerfed it was to make the slowdown effect fall off with damage. Being shot from further away means less slowdown.

Blizzard

Banned
Some achievements I presumably got in a glitched fashion. The latest one is kind of sad. I had been not playing huntsman sniper for a long time, because it's fun, and I'm better at it than rifle, and I only had one point left on my best-of-team-when-winning-ten-times sniper achievement. I wanted to be #1 as a rifle sniper for the last point!

And then I got it because I had been #1 as a different class the last time, and still had the highest score once I switched to sniper for defense or something. Oh well. >_> That's at least 4 classes with 100% achievements now, and I think scout only has that silly environmental damage one left.

Forkball

I can't seem to get the Sniper achievement where you have to get five Jarate assists in one life. I did this, in fact I got seven, but it never registered.

Blizzard

Banned
Forkball said:
I can't seem to get the Sniper achievement where you have to get five Jarate assists in one life. I did this, in fact I got seven, but it never registered.
I think it took 75 million years for me to get it, and I assumed it was forever glitched, but then presumably Valve fixed it. Maybe you should do it several more times, or maybe Valve broke it again, just for you. :p

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yeef said:
It slows you down whenever you get hit, but rather than slowing you down a certain percentage it'd slow you down to less-than-Heavy-spun-up speed even if it hit you from the other side of the map. As with all attacks that reduce speed, it also cancels any weapon jumping (sticky, rocket, Force-a-nature) and targe charges.

The way they nerfed it was to make the slowdown effect fall off with damage. Being shot from further away means less slowdown.
Even then, the Heavy is nothing more than a simple annoyance from distance. Medium and short-range they are as devastating as a level 3 sentry, especially if they get the jump on you around a corner.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Forkball said:

Has anyone gotten Jarate Chop (Jarate->kukri kill 3 times)? I swear I've done that dozens of times.

Forkball

Sgt.Pepper said:
How exactly did you get Beaux and Arrows? That one is so fucking hard to get.
I remember getting this one. I was on Dustbowl, and my team was fighting an ubered heavy medic pair. As soon as they de-ubered I killed the medic with a single shot, and then the heavy. 'Twas awesome. Granted I probably wouldn't have done it without my team weakening them. You just got to be in a position where the Heavy Medic pair doesn't notice you and try to get headshots.

Yeef

I was playing on a Saxton Hale server last night. Tons of fun. If there's a way to switch it on and off at will then I'd consider adding it to the GAF server.

Charron said:
Has anyone gotten Jarate Chop (Jarate->kukri kill 3 times)? I swear I've done that dozens of times.

That is the only Sniper achievement I have left to get. And I've been "trying" to get it since the Sniper/Spy update.

Yeef

The reason that one is so hard is because you have to hit all 3 enemies with a single Jarate then kill them all with your knife.

rar

Blizzard said:
To be more serious, I think your suggestion that "bad" players should always do bad (and have fun while doing bad) isn't really true for all situations. I feel that there are some servers that are competitive (6v6, or competitive in general), and others that are for people to play for fun. If you want a more competitive experience, and/or an experience without heavies, as far as I know there are places where you can mostly find them. I don't think it's fair for you to want to take away a class from everyone else because you think it's too easy though. TF2 has always been a fairly accessible game to my knowledge.

i dont really want to remove the class, im just joking about that. i just thought it was more balanced before those two buffs and they sort of pushed the class over the line with them. by all means the class can be easy and accessible, but i think its too easy at the moment

when i say if youre bad, you should try to get better im not talking about playing competitively. you just play, shoot people, and try to do the best you can instead of turning on easy mode. people go bowling and try and beat their friends and get the highest score they can, but they're still not taking it super serious, and they're not playing with bumpers just because they can't break 100

personally i had the most fun playing tf2 in the first couple months when i was completely awful, having a .5 k/d ratio and trying to get kills on the really good players in the server, failing at rocket jumping and being surprised when i hit someone as a scout. now in most pubs i can win

also, pub play and comp play are like two separate games, and i like playing both each for different reasons

yeoz

Yeef said:
I was playing on a Saxton Hale server last night. Tons of fun. If there's a way to switch it on and off at will then I'd consider adding it to the GAF server.
Saaaaxton Raaaaaaaage!

"That watch was invented at Mann Co. specifically to kill you twice!"

Jarate Chop is the only Sniper Achievement I'm missing too, and I pretty much always use Jarate.

AcciDante

DO30n.jpg

Forkball

Update:

Team Fortress 2

* Updated honor-bound weapons so they can be holstered within a second of touching a supply cabinet.
* Updated the Blighted Beak with creator submitted fixes.
o Fixed a clipping problem.
o Made it paintable.
* Updated the Hero's Hachimaki to be tradeable.

I can see how all that content filled up 70 MB.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
snack said:
A week ago, the signups for the new season of the ESL 6on6 League have opened.

You can find all the important information in this news:

http://www.esl.eu/eu/tf2/news/152298/

Medals will be given to all participants. More information about medals and other prizes can be found here:

http://www.esl.eu/eu/tf2/news/153305/

There is still 1 week left for signups! Signup here:
http://www.esl.eu/eu/tf2/6on6/league/season7/signup/
If anyone else wants to, I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. Stock weapons aren't to big of a deal with me (Nor is playing with all weapons)

Blizzard

Banned
You can't really see it, but I think there's a sniper corpse on the bridge in the middle. Sadly he didn't clear the bridge as he flew over after I sandman'd him. =(

2E643D19F8BB44C5AA074D69A2F59DAF6B48EECB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom