• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

snack

Drkirby said:
If anyone else wants to, I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. Stock weapons aren't to big of a deal with me (Nor is playing with all weapons)
Join this one. I started this team over at Facepunch.

I created a team for the tourney. Please feel free to join if you'd like. Once we get 6 people, I will be able to register for the 6v6 League.

http://www.esl.eu/eu/tf2/join_team/?teamid=5770746

You will have to add your TF2 Game ID before you can join the team.

http://www.esl.eu/eu/tf2/6on6/league...ype=steamidtf2

Password is: e2164397

I've officially hit the 100-hour mark! I've definitely gotten better, but I still need to hone my skills. I make a lot of dumb decisions.

Oh, and 100 hours later, I still don't know most map names, haha.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
hq3ct.jpg

I'm not going to lie, the Borgtime88 stack was totally fun.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Bluth54 said:
This news, along with the news about pl_barnblitz makes me think we'll be getting another big update similar to the class updates soon.
I'm sick of quitting this game then being sucked back into it.

So I have played a decent amount now and I'm loving it. Still don't know really any of the maps, but maybe two that I have played on a lot. I'm better at long range with sniper and demo, than I am at close range with anything. :lol This may be a mouse sensitivity issue. But I'm thoroughly enjoying the game. Now just to play more and get used to it.

Yeef

derFeef said:
Anyone ordered and got the Heavy statue from Gamingheads? I just got it and my it is awesome. Pics coming later.
The bigger ones or the smaller ones?

I might bite once they get around to Scout and Pyro ones, but Heavy and Soldier don't interest me too much. Also, I can probably get them at wholesale prices, otherwise I couldn't see myself picking them up.

Clydefrog

So what can we expect with this "meet the medic" thing? New items for medic?

Decided to do a hat craft last night for the first time ever! Crafted Ze Goggles + Trophy Belt and got a Berliner’s Bucket Helm.

derFeef

Yeef said:
The bigger ones or the smaller ones?

I might bite once they get around to Scout and Pyro ones, but Heavy and Soldier don't interest me too much. Also, I can probably get them at wholesale prices, otherwise I couldn't see myself picking them up.

That ones ;) Just a quick snap...

8348ce53.jpg

I got No. 15 from 750

PhiLonius

Just re-bought the Orange Box off of Steam and looking forward to getting into TF2. I always hear good things but never got a chance to play it. Pointers/tips for a first timer?

Clydefrog said:
So what can we expect with this "meet the medic" thing? New items for medic?

Decided to do a hat craft last night for the first time ever! Crafted Ze Goggles + Trophy Belt and got a Berliner’s Bucket Helm.

You could've traded Ze Goggles for another hat + extras.

PhiLonius said:
Just re-bought the Orange Box off of Steam and looking forward to getting into TF2. I always hear good things but never got a chance to play it. Pointers/tips for a first timer?

You might be overwhelmed at first but just take it slow.

I'd say the first thing to get to know is how classes work. Knowing what weapons have secondary fire, looking for Spies, and working as a team.

For a beginner I usually like to recommend Soldier and Pyro. Simple classes that are easy to jump into and but can be perfected into very dangerous opponents.

Yeef

PhiLonius said:
Get a headset and/or microphone if you don't already have one and join the GAF server!

Pick whatever class appeals to you the most and stick to it for a while. Spy and engineer are probably the hardest classes to play well, but are extremely helpful (Engineer) and rewarding (Spy) once you hit your groove. If you don't understand something don't be afraid to ask (both in-game and here).

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
PhiLonius said:

The first few hours will be pretty rough, but try to stick with it until you unlock at least a red dot sight. Things will get easier after that, and your k/d ratio should hover around 1:1. (you can check this info on your Valve BattleJacket©).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Borgnine said:
The first few hours will be pretty rough, but try to stick with it until you unlock at least a red dot sight. Things will get easier after that, and your k/d ratio should hover around 1:1. (you can check this info on your Valve BattleJacket©).
What you did there.

I saw it.

Yeef

Borgnine said:
soldierborg.jpg

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
PhiLonius said:
Play medic at first.

You'll be credit to team and you'll get the basics by watching everyone else.

Shoot all your teammates or melee them to check for spies - spychecking.

Right click on flamethrower to put out teammates.

Don't be stupid

Oakcliff

Yeef said:
Get a headset and/or microphone if you don't already have one and join the GAF server!

New player here too I guess, even though i have like 130 hours on it. In terms of mic/headset what would you guys recommend?

PhiLonius said:
Watch your back every 2 seconds, chances you have a Spy on your ass. Play Medic, it's mostly easy, when you are sure your teammate will die RUN THE FUCK OFF, Medics are too important to be dying too fast. Around corners and open space, check the ground or the wall, if you see a dot of the opposite color of your team, that's a Sniper.

I think Sniper is a pretty forward class, you just have to avoid being a load, play aggressively. And don't use your Scope for more than 5 seconds, chances you have a Spy behind you too.

Edit: And if you follow a Spy and he runs up to some stairs, he will most likely try to jump behind you and backstab you, ruin this move by turning around as you go up.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
PhiLonius said:

I have to agree with Kuro's comments as far as playing medic first since it is very straight forward at first. It also gives you an opportunity to see the other classes in action and following others on maps where you might be unfamiliar. *Right click is the uber!

Headset is a good idea. We all love to talk and be ridiculous.

Just have fun. Agree on joining the GAF server

Try not to take the game too seriously :D

Yeef

Oakcliff said:
New player here too I guess, even though i have like 130 hours on it. In terms of mic/headset what would you guys recommend?
These are the ones I use. Lots of people around here prefer desktop mics to headsets though. Anything that's more than like $5 bucks will probably suffice. The sound quality for in-game voice chat in TF2 isn't particularly good so it shouldn't make much of a difference which mic you use as long as it works.

Oakcliff

Yeef said:
These are the ones I use. Lots of people around here prefer desktop mics to headsets though. Anything that's more than like $5 bucks will probably suffice. The sound quality for in-game voice chat in TF2 isn't particularly good so it shouldn't make much of a difference which mic you use as long as it works.

Yeah thanks dude I'll check em out.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeef said:
Yeah, I just use a Sing Star mic in a cheap Mic stand, and use Head Phones.

I suggest you play TF2 with headphone though, it helps pick up on some quieter sounds, like a spy decloak.

Also, Yeef, does our server have sv_pure on it? I saw some stuff on it a while back and forgot to ask.

Yeef

Drkirby said:
Yeah, I just use a Sing Star mic in a cheap Mic stand, and use Head Phones.

I suggest you play TF2 with headphone though, it helps pick up on some quieter sounds, like a spy decloak.

Also, Yeef, does our server have sv_pure on it? I saw some stuff on it a while back and forgot to ask.
sv_pure is set to the default (1).

Yeef

Drkirby said:
Also, is the Gaf server up? It isn't showing on my server list.
I'm doing things to it. You'll probably see it go up and down a few times.

[Edit] And now there's an update... D:

Hmmm... for some reason the server is telling me it needs to be updated when there is no update. Also, it's having difficulty running the config file.

I blame you, Dr. Kirby!

You know, I just thought...

When Meet the Medic video is released, I hope the Medic will get new voice clips in-game. All the other classes, except for Pyro (which is understandable), got new domination sound clips and that stuff. But Medic didn't :(

I always figured it was because his voice actor was very busy (look him up), but when he's in the recording room for Meet the Medic, I really hope they add new voice clips!

Javaman

Yeef said:

Is the new VOIP update for steam going to work with TF2? I only saw portal 2 listed.

Yeef

am8V2.png

Valve strikes again!

Apparently they've changed the way invites look!

[Edit] Don't know what happened with the server. server.cfg randomly disappeared on its own then reappeared on its own like 10 minutes later. I guess it just needed a break. Everything seems to be up and running fine now.

I edited the maplists so that all maps (including customs) are available for nominations and on the admin menus, but only non-custom maps appear during a standard, mid-round map vote. Certain default maps (such as 2fort) won't appear during normal voting unless nominated beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom